The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 AM   #51
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

I'm perfectly fine with the new format. And Waid's DD is one of the most consistently great titles Marvel publishes right now. That said, onward with the spoilerfication!

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 3/27/13!

AGE OF ULTRON #3: Much like Image Comics' "Saga", issues of this aren't called issues, but "books"; however, that is the only way in which the two series are in any way similar. Brian M. Bendis continues to write and Bryan Hitch continues to draw this perfectly mediocre event style story which presumes some alternate reality which will be undone in which Ultron has taken over everything. Bendis has a "Jeph Loeb Moment" where he has a character he personally adores showcase strength above a more powerful character just because - in this issue's case, Luke Cage being capable of knocking out She-Hulk with a single blow. Taskmaster winds up gaining a MacGuffin in Chicago and we learn that the true power behind Ultron may be in fact his robotic "son", the longtime Avenger Vision. This ties back in with Bendis' "Disassembled" story from 2004 which involved the two in an attack, a detail which may not be worth remembering. Hitch's art is fine although his "photo-realistic" art can seem stiff at times, and he seems to reuse faces repeatedly.

This issue has a lot of characters talk and not do much, but that's been Bendis' stock and trade as a writer for a half decade by now, and it isn't about to change. Even at a bi-weekly schedule, this story line is inching along and seems to only be this slow to justify obligatory tie-in's with other books. While it isn't a horrible story, it doesn't come close to the last "event" which starred Ultron, "Annihilation Conquest" from 2007-2008.

MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE #3: The latest ASM spin off by Joe Keatinge, Richard Elson and Antonio Fabela remains an interesting if mixed bag, existing somewhere between a vigilante thriller and an urban horror. Morbius still is hiding out in Brownsville after escaping from prison during the "final" arc of ASM, and still seemingly at the mercy of a street gang. After losing control and ripping out the neck of their bulky leader Noah, Morbius is laid low by his girlfriend and forced to try to save the thug's life - a feat which proves futile. Meanwhile, Morbius' new tag along supporting cast in homeless artist Becky and scrappy street urchin Henry do their best to avoid becoming road kill. Considering that Morbius can be laid low by street hoods, I begin to seriously question how he is any challenge to Spider-Man beyond the element of surprise (or a lot of blood-lust). I imagine the gist of the tone Keatinge is going for is that Morbius essentially wants to just be left alone to try to avoid the cops and drinking blood as long as he can, but he keeps stumbling into nasty situations with criminals - sometimes due to his own errors in judgement or instincts.

While this is an interesting tone, I sometimes feel Morbius and the story would be better off if he simply realized in this situation, going all vampire and slaughtering the street gang would probably be in everyone's best interests. Regardless, there is something to be said for Keatinge playing Morbius as more a "tragic monster" than a violent vigilante or a super villain, especially as Marvel's traditional "tragic monster", the Hulk, is literally a SHIELD agent now. The art is very good and Keatinge has a solid voice for the character, and at least this avoids rehashing material from the 90's.

SCARLET SPIDER #15: Chris Yost and artist Khoi Pham (alongside a stunning five inkers and two co-pencilers, and Antonio Fabela's colors) continue their current arc which mingles some spare villains from 1980's issues of "Spectacular Spider-Man" with a new drama involving Aztec gods in Houston, Texas. The mysterious psychic girl Aracely is connected to the Aztec pantheon, and to this end she was smuggled into America and is now hunted by the Lobos siblings, who transform into werewolves. They had seemingly slain Kaine/Scarlet Spider, only he has been return as a monster who cares little for mercy or compassion - which may be Kaine's true nature. The end result is quite brutal, although to a point it seems to resolve itself a bit fast for the finale. Regardless, Yost is wise to carve his own Marvel mythology with a pantheon of gods which have mostly remained untouched - as the "house of ideas" usually stuck with the Norse or Greek gods. This arc has seen a shift into mysticism which was unexpected, but it also keeps the book unpredictable and expansive, which is always a good thing.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #6AU: Marvel's gimmick for "AGE OF ULTRON" tie-in's is to re-release the same issue number that they already did, but attach some letters to it and naturally have it be by a different creative team. Somehow this is different from a .1 issue, a zero issue, or a regular issue. While I imagine it makes collecting it all for a trade for the event, or for the ravenous who buy all event tie-in's, easier, it also makes it easier to avoid such tie-in's if one chooses. Given how insane Marvel has become about renumbering issues and looking for any excuse (such as poor math) to justify a triple digit issue with a near triple digit cover price, it actually is a bit daffy that they'd resist the urge to boost a lot of series tallies by one. At this point Marvel could literally, tomorrow, launch KA-ZAR & HOWARD THE DUCK #1,456.1AZT and it would make as much sense as anything else. Don't be fooled; Marvel upper editorial aren't geniuses; they're simply less incompetent than DC's right now, so they often appear brilliant in comparison - a situation I call "Moe Theory". Out of the "Three Stooges", Moe was the least dumb of them, so to the untrained eye he appeared smart. Most companies, and even governments, operate under Moe theory - not being terribly wise or brilliant, just less dumb than someone over there, but I digress.

This issue sees Christos Gage, who has been without a regular gig at Marvel since AVENGERS ACADEMY ended, return to the title which was once ASM with the spare tie-in story. It naturally fixes some of the issues with AOU, namely that the Spider-Man in it is still supposed to be "Spidey-Ock"; he just pretends to be Peter better here than in just about any issue of SSM thus far (where Ock is THIS CLOSE from being Dr. Evil in spandex). Insulted that he has been laid low by a robot, Spidey-Ock goes along with the leftover Avengers' plan to zap Ultron's stronghold into another dimension. Spidey-Ock decides to ditch that plan for his own, but both plans fail - as standard for spare tie-in's to events. On the positive side, the artwork by Dextor Soy is terrific, and Gage continues to be the only writer eager to use Quicksilver whenever he gets half a chance. It isn't a bad story, nor is it essential. Gage will apparently co-write some issues of the regular SSM once it resumes next week, and it's good to see him still hanging around at Marvel while his creations get blown to bits for cheap thrills in ARENA.

UNCANNY AVENGERS #5: Having quickly become a sales hit, this team title which combines Marvel Comics' top franchises (the "Uncanny X-Men" and the "Avengers"), issue five begins a new arc by writer Rick Remender, who has had extensive experience with both franchises due to runs on "Secret Avengers" and "Uncanny X-Force". As the cover suggests, three new characters are added to the team roster - Avengers Wasp and Wonder Man, and on again/off again X-Man Sunfire (the only person of color on the team). Launching after "Avengers vs. X-Men", the attempt was to form a "unity" team which merges traditional superheroes with mutants in a more up front way to finally make some progress towards Professor Xavier's dream of coexistence. Unfortunately, the previous arc ended with a fresh clone of Red Skull having launched an anti-mutant massacre with the aid of a team of genetically enhanced freaks.

Springing forth from that previous arc, the team has decided to confront some of the social angst head on with a new press release with some new members added to the squad. While Capt. America is on the team, Havok was deputized as leader, which often causes some minor friction between the two. The previously dead Wasp and the previously insane Wonder Man have their doubts about rejoining the Avengers, while Wolverine heads into Japan to recruit Sunfire, who has been long traumatized from dealings with Apocalypse. Remender picks up a subplot from "Uncanny X-Force" regarding new heirs to the Apocalypse, only now adds the Avengers premiere time traveling villain to the mix. Unfortunately for the Avengers, Wonder Man's insane (and also previously dead) brother Grim Reaper crashes the press conference, and the lack of cohesion and experience between heroes in battle alongside each other quickly begins to show.

Olivier Coipel handles the art for the issue (alongside two colorists and Mark Morales on inks), and he's long been an artist of some pedigree with runs on major series such as "Thor" or "Siege". It is great to see a different artist have a crack at some of the costume designs from John Cassaday, such as the complicated new Cap uniform or Havok's odd mask. Unfortunately, he is only handling art for this issue and Daniel Acuna will be taking over in the next issue; thus, this is a fill in issue and Marvel has the dilemma of their first "Marvel NOW" series going through three artists within six issues. While Thor mostly sits the issue out, Remender does some interesting character work within this issue; tensions are still raw given Xavier's death and Red Skull's misuse of his corpse. Havok is not only stepping up out of Cyclops' shadow, but he's now stepping up beyond the X-Men or X-Factor or X-anything. On the downside, rekindling Steve's long past fling with Wanda considering the many sins she has committed over the years does reek a little of nepotism. On the plus side, depicting a Cap who may have flaws due to personal history (or lack thereof) with certain characters is a risky move, which is appreciated.

Overall, this is likely a work more geared to the "mainstream" than Remender's usual series, but it still maintains his quirky ideas and interpretations of characters. He has been a bold choice for a book as big as this, and while it isn't flawless it is overall an ambitious stab at a combination team, and once a steady artist is pegged down, the book will be ready to fly.

YOUNG AVENGERS #3: The creative team behind "Phonogram", Kieron Gillen with artist Jaime McKelvie and Mike Norton with colorist Matthew Wilson continue on their imaginative and delightfully strange reboot of a franchise which was held in the grip of Allen Heinberg for years. Hulkling, Wiccan, and "kid" Loki are still busy trying to stop "an interdimensional parasite" which Wiccan accidentally summoned trying to resurrect Hulkling's dead mother. This parasite can control the minds of all adults and is quickly trying to kill the kids trying to stop it. They finally run into another of Loki's pawns, Miss America Chavez, who joins them in the battle. The banter between the characters is still terrific, and the artwork and panel layouts pop and make the book unique. The lack of Hawkeye/Kate Bishop and Marvel-Boy/Noh-Varr for a second straight issue continues to be annoying, although this will likely change next issue. The theme of having teenage heroes "battle" their parents and/or other adults is a timeless trope for stories like this, and is being played in a unique way. There are some quibbles - the heavy focus on some characters over others, and jettisoning others from the franchise whole cloth can be jarring - but it remains a fun and often pretty book to read.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #52
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Default Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

So a few quick thoughts...

Young Avengers continues to be excellent. Can any marvel writer handle dialogue better than Gillen? No, no they cannot.

AoU is surprising the hell out of me. Mainly because it's actually pretty good. A lot of people have had issues but they're falling away for the most part. Spider-Man's actions now make sense due to the tie in (also I don't understand why anyone that read that still thinks vision is running the show because it seemed in there that ultron really is, unless I read that incorrectly). As for the others, BP didn't break his neck from a fall, he was blasted into it, there is a big difference between someone falling and someone being knocked from an explosion. Luke isn't stronger than She-Hulk, you don't have to be stronger than someone to knock them out especially if they give you their chin, ask any boxer about this. The only real issue I've had is the way everyone was so ****** to hawkeye for rescuing spider-man, that was jarring. All and all this may be the best event bendis has written, but he still has time to make it have a craptastic ending.

Wolverine and the X-Men...I just don't know about this. I think I hate/like it. Dog I don't care for but evil cowboys in the savage land is pretty fun. Also I do like how logan is growing as a mentor and good guy as showcased by his little talks with each character.

Avengers Arena is a big surprise for me. I expected to hate it, for it to make no sense in characterization and it's completely the opposite. Every fight has made sense. Every reaction has had a point and purpose and showcasing the characters the way it has is just a really good and enjoyable read. I don't know how Hopeless can be so good on this book and so terrible in others. What's more he's actually added to new characters that I freaking love (deathlocket, bloodstone and anachronism). I think most people's hate of this book is what I felt towards it, premised based, but without actually seeing what it's about.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #53
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

WATXM has cooled greatly and plateaued. Aaron has had the Dog plot festering for a while since his Wolverine run, so I can't kill him for finishing what he started. He should just wrap it up and move in another direction as fast as possible.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #54
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Alright. Got my comics plus two more Walking Dead trades. And let me just say, the Woodberry/Prison final confrontation was WAY better in the comics.

As for what I bought this week, I picked up one issue that I had to leave behind last week. I then decided to pass on Thanos Rising. I'm still iffy on picking it up and the shop seemed to have ordered plenty, so I passed for now. I might pick it up later but I didn't want to once again waste $4 only to decide I didn't want to finish the story. So I'm passing on it until I've decided whether I want to buy it.

Wolverine & the X-Men 27 - I skipped it last week due to finances but decided to go ahead and get it now. If not for the upcoming Hellfire Club Saga I'd likely drop the book, but I ended up enjoying this issue a lot more than the past few. It wasn't great by any means (and really, are Shark Girl or Eye Boy worth the panels they're printed on?) but it was decent. That said, I'm eager for this arc to end. And Perez draws an ugly Beast.

That said, I did really like the two scenes of Wolverine tutoring Genesis and Sprite. Ol' kid Apocalypse is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters of this generation. He's definately one of the few draws for me in this book. He's great.

All New X-Men 10 - Wow, what a great issue! Immonen is such a fantastic artist who can manage to make everyone, even the stupid looking Cyclops, look cool. I liked Mystique's crew and I'm eager to see where that goes. I liked seeing Krakoa defend the school briefly. I liked everything having to do with either Cyclops. And in the end, when I thought the traitor of the original X-Men was obviously Angel, now I'm not so sure. Bendis convinced me it was going to actually be Cyclops, but then turned and now it's someone else, and I'm not sure who it is. Maybe Angel, maybe Jean. I don't know. That's just awesome!

The whole issue was great and I'm eager for the next one. This is easily one of the best books Marvel's putting out. I miss the Cyclops/Wolverine respectful relationship, but at least we're getting good stories, and the separation makes narrative sense.

Age of Ultron 4 - This was a pretty good issue. We learn that Ultron is acting from the future through Vision and that Vision is very remorseful about it. We lose Luke, She-Hulk, and Taskmaster in this issue and the survivors gather in the Savage Land. I am questioning how they all knew to get there. Some knew but not all... unless I missed something. Also, as much as I like Bendis and Luke Cage, his surviving a nuclear explosion, even if it was only temporarilly, was crap. Dude's not tough enough to survive that and fly a quinjet all the way to the Savage Land before dying. That was a major stretch.

Still, decent issue. Nice art. I'm still enjoying the story.

Green Lantern 19 - Again, dang cover giving away the ending. The second to last issue of Johns' run and it was a good one. Hal commits suicide with hopes of having the will to claim Black Hand's ring. Sinestro takes on the First Lantern which ultimately results in the complete destruction of his home world, Korugar. That actually shocked me and it leads to Sinestro summoning his Yellow Lantern. It seems like Johns is going to revert Sinestro to his villainous form before he leaves, but we'll see next issue.

It was a great issue with nice art. I'm partially looking forward to Johns' final but that $8 price tag just destroys me and will rob me of much of the enjoyment I could get from the comic. If it's a big week I might just read it in the shop and skip it. If it's a lighter week I might get it and grumble all the way to the Bought/Thought thread about how much it cost.

Phantom Stranger 7 - I hate when covers give away the ending of a comic. I swear. That aside, I thought this was a fantastic issue. I was near ready to drop the book but then two issues ago blew me away. Last issue was decent enough to keep me excited and now this one blew me away as well. I'm totally stoked and, for the first time, I'm excited to see what happens next. I love Ha on pencils here and wish he could have been the artist all along. His art fits the book perfectly. Very good issue.

I figure I'll also note a part in the comic that would have enraged me 5 or 6 years ago but I totally get now. God (through a little dog) speaks with the Phantom Stranger and reflects on how Jesus preached from the heart but that today's followers have turned it into a global organization that chains believers with rules and regulations, threatening them with eternal hellfire if they stepout of line. Back when I was in my old church, which was very much like that, I'd be ticked off at someone insulting what I felt was the right approach. Nowadays, after leaving that place and finding a church that's more in line with biblical teachings, I totally see where the writer is coming from.

It took guts for Didio/DeMatteis to write that, but I don't think they're that far off.

These religious views are definately a part of what draws me to this title. I'm a fan.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Phantom Stranger 7 - This was just a really good issue and I can't wait to see what's going on with the Question. I've not looked into it but MAN I hope Ha is staying around. I've loved his work ever since the Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix.

Worst: Age of Ultron 4 - While I enjoyed the issue, it was a bit of a stretch for me. Luke's temporary survival took me out of the story, and the obvious fact that this is all somehow being relaunched/corrected takes me out of the urgency of the story. It was good, but eh.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #55
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

All-New X-Men #10: I really loved this issue, but I'm becoming increasingly disappointed with the way Bendis writes Logan. I hated that dumb exchange regarding "normal circumstances." But I digress. Love the way Scott is portrayed here. Any ideas on who the mutant in question at the end is?

My money is on
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Young Hank

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
JTStarkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #56
NinjinSteve
Side-Kick

I agree with your guess. Angel is too much of a red herring. Your pick would make the most sense to me considering what it would mean to their present day counterpart.

NinjinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #57
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I do feel that Angel is too obvious, but I don't really see Beast being beneficial to the ongoing story, nor Angel. I think Jean makes the most sense story-wise. Her leaving Wolverine to join Scott is sure to amp the drama. And seeing Scott and Emma with Jean, not to mean Jean with Magneto, knowing that Magneto was the one who kills her. There's just a lot of really good plot there, so that's who I'm hoping for. Plus she has good story reason for going. If she wants to learn how to control her telepathy more, who better to train her than Cyclops, who shared a telepathic link with her for years, and Emma Frost, one of the most powerful telepaths still living? And it also duals as her chance to get to know future Cyclops and really figure out if he's the monster he's being labeled as.

And then Bendis throws us all for a loop and sends Iceman over there

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #58
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I actually thought this issue set up Jean to go with Cyclops and his crew as a spy. The Jean Grey staff were talking about how they need a telepathy proof spy, which made me think Jean would take the initiative and try. It would up the drama nicely, and I desperately want Jean and Emma in the same book. But Jean is such a draw for ANXM and she's on future covers. If it is her, she won't stay for long. My money is still on Angel though.

April 3, 2013
All New X-men #10: Another great issue, though I hope it's the last to really focus on Cyclops. There's a lot of development here, which I really like. Bendis is making me love the Jean Grey School Staff almost as much as Aaron, but at least here they're engaged in plots I care about. What I'm appreciating is that O5 are starting realize that the school hasn't exactly been truthful with them. Angel called Beast out on his selective phrasing last issue, and this issue Cyclops does the same, and Jean notes that disappointment is coming from both sides of this X-men divide. Bendis is doing a great job in giving depth to the plot and characters, making none of ANXM black and white.

Now that adult Cyclops has explained and defended himself to both the Avengers and the school, I hope that starts to get pushed to the side now. All New is where I want to see the new X-men engage in a crazy and different world, not where Cyclops and gang talk about AvX some more. However, everything that was said needed to be laid out, and now I'm hoping these characters can move on a bit.

My only criticism is that Maria Hill sounded off. I don't read much of her, but I didn't think she was the type of character to say "dude." Mystique was also written as aloof and fun, instead of very serious. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it's just minor. Art was perfect. I'm loving Cyclops' new design.

Mad Ones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #59
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

It could be Jean.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #60
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

I was looking for someone to post about the ending. I see that we posted at the same time, JH.

For some reason I thought Jean was in one of those two panels where they're all looking behind them (which tells us it's not Wolverine, young Scott, Kitty, or Storm). I'm thinking the likely choice probably is Jean now, but Hank was my first hunch since, as Steve mentioned, it'd be a juicy move to defy the present day Hank.

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #61
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
WATXM has cooled greatly and plateaued. Aaron has had the Dog plot festering for a while since his Wolverine run, so I can't kill him for finishing what he started. He should just wrap it up and move in another direction as fast as possible.
I have to agree. My only hope is he's using dog to showcase how much logan has grown as a moral and decent person. I did like his one on ones with the kids on the plane. I may actually like sprite. But yes moving on is good. I figure every writer gets a bad arc or two and if this is that, then it's still a damn good book. If this is the new status quo, not so much. Another part of me also thinks with ANXM and all that interacting with the school, Aaron may just be leaving the area for a while until some developments happen then coming back to deal with them, in which case this is just filler for time.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #62
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Does anyone else get the impression that Aaron's building to his series conclusion? I feel like he's going to write the Hellfire Club Saga and end his run there. He's doing Thor and Thanos Rising and I can't help but wonder if he's got something else cosmic-like post-Thanos Rising.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #63
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

I read in an interview about 6-8 months ago that he has hundred of ideas for this book, and that Marvel would have to pull him off it. Unless they're doing that, I don't see his end running anytime soon.

Sorry I don't have a link, but I distinctly remember reading that somewhere.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #64
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Ah, interesting. Well, hopefully he's just going through a dip over the past couple of arcs and he'll improve again. I have a feeling the Hellfire Club Saga is going to be good.

And bring back Kid Gladiator dang it! Eyeboy and Sharkgirl are poor substitutions.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #65
Spider-Jay420
Welcome Back Peter Parker

APRIL 3, 2013

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #7 was great. The Avengers finally wise up to 'Peter's' evil behavior and call him out on it. SpOck puts Cap on the floor and battle ensues next issue. And it seems Doc Ock can hear Peter when Pete is mad enough, and evidently guide his hand, so that's a development that I am VERY interested in. Great stuff!

THANOS RISING #1 was just alright. So far its his origin story and it all seemed pretty standard fare. Thanos is just born a weird looking purple kid. He starts out all soft and innocent, and the kids at school aren't really mean to him. But he inadventently leads some girls to their death, then enacts his revenge. Nothing all that original, but I hope all 5 issues are not all origin. I don't know if I can hang for that. We'll see. Another thing is, for this story to be taking place on the third moon of Saturn or wherever, it might as well have been Ohio or Kansas. Thanos was surrounded by all these good looking white kids, going to school and dissecting lizards...it wasn't very Cosmic at all. Next issue I want some outer space stuff, please. I usually like Aaron's writing, so I'll give him a shot, but I definitely wanna see more next issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you've got some really good poses in there man. *congrats*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroAids View Post
SpideyJay.....I've said it before and I'll say it again...Nice ass display! They look sweet, man.
Spider-Jay420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #66
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I actually came VERY close to picking up Superior Spider-Man this week due to Cardiac being in it. He's always been one of my favorite obscure characters. I actually once had a 'Cardiac' section on my comic shelf of just his appearances (right next to the Shocker section). Unfortunately, my budget is just too tight.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #67
Spider-Jay420
Welcome Back Peter Parker

They actually did him some justice and gave him purpose with the possibility of a recurring role. Much like Mr Negative was, but a better guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you've got some really good poses in there man. *congrats*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroAids View Post
SpideyJay.....I've said it before and I'll say it again...Nice ass display! They look sweet, man.
Spider-Jay420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #68
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Cool. I'm glad to hear it

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #69
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Ah, interesting. Well, hopefully he's just going through a dip over the past couple of arcs and he'll improve again. I have a feeling the Hellfire Club Saga is going to be good.

And bring back Kid Gladiator dang it! Eyeboy and Sharkgirl are poor substitutions.

Seriously, Kid Gladiator and (talking, smart) Broo were two of the biggest things that made this book for the first year.

Have them with Idie, Quentin, and Evan, as well as Logan, Kitty, Bobby and Angel as the main focus, with Rockslide, Anole, Hellion, the rest of the staff and the older students as secondary.

I like the new winged girl, but yeah, shark girl and eye boy (shark boy and lava girl? lol) can hit the road

BoredGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #70
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Truer words...

Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #71
mjdiddy1
Side-Kick

I for one enjoyed Thanos Rising #1. With a title that includes 'Rising' of course a portion of it would be a origin story to setup what Thanos is about to become not only in the Marvel comic universe but in its cinematic universe as well. By showing Thanos as an outcast and/or geek as a child and even going so far as to show that his own mother wanted to kill him at birth because he had 'death in his eyes' makes Thanos like an onion...he's very layered. And I liken his rise to that of some famous cinematic serial killers (Norman Bates, Hannible Lecter, etc.). Jason Aaron portrays Thanos as the person you know you are supposed to hate but you can't help but like the little purple guy. Bianchi's art fit this story well and was not as busy as it normally is. So I'm looking forward to issue #2 and I give this book a 8/10.

mjdiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #72
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

Quote:
I actually came VERY close to picking up Superior Spider-Man this week due to Cardiac being in it. He's always been one of my favorite obscure characters. I actually once had a 'Cardiac' section on my comic shelf of just his appearances (right next to the Shocker section). Unfortunately, my budget is just too tight.
You're missing out on a great storyline.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #73
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm not drawn to titles for storylines, I'm drawn out of love of characters. The love of a character tends to make the storyline great. Personally, I love Spider-Man, but I love Peter Parker more and it no longer feels like Peter. I've given it a chance time and again since OMD, most recently the first 13 or issues of Big Time, but I just can't get into the character anymore. You replace him with one of my least favorite characters of all time (Ock) and it's just a big shrug for me.

Honestly, Cardiac is the first thing since I dropped Big Time to make me really curious enough to consider the title. Maybe when Spidey 2099 comes into play.

But yeah, now matter how good the story is... if I'm as ho hum about the character as I am about SpOck, I'm not going to enjoy it as much as others. On a limited budget, I'd rather buy books about characters I care more about.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #74
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Seriously, Kid Gladiator and (talking, smart) Broo were two of the biggest things that made this book for the first year.

Have them with Idie, Quentin, and Evan, as well as Logan, Kitty, Bobby and Angel as the main focus, with Rockslide, Anole, Hellion, the rest of the staff and the older students as secondary.

I like the new winged girl, but yeah, shark girl and eye boy (shark boy and lava girl? lol) can hit the road
Man, I SO miss talking, smart Broo. I love that little guy. I saw that one of the upcoming storylines involves Logan going to SWORD looking for some help regarding Broo. I hope they fix him fast, because the book has lost a lot of character without him. Plus, I love me some Agent Brand and SWORD.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #75
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Yeah, that early cast of students was great. You had Kid Gladiator, Broo, Kid Omega, and Idie as the main focus. Then you had Anole, Glob, Hellion, and Rockslide as decent backups. Evan came in and was awesome (Angel as a student was just wierd).

Then they got rid of Kid Gladiator, made Broo savage, and quickly dropped Anole, Hellion, and Rockslide to background characters. I like Kid Omega but he's sorta getting boring after months and months of the same thing. The two main replacements are Eye Boy and Sharkgirl and they both sorta suck. Sprite did nothing for me until the Wolverine talk in the newest issue, so she can grow on me.

Evan's the only focused student that I like anymore. I just wish they'd do something with Anole, Rockslide, and others of their generation again.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and