The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #176
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

Default Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

Yeah, I just resurrected the official Thor thread. This book is pure greatness.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #177
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Thor: God of Thunder #8 was fantastic. We're introduced to some new characters that I found pretty fun, and we get to see Gorr's son drop an argument that is at once offensive to me as a fan of Thor but perfectly reasonable to me as an atheist. This issue basically signals the start of the march toward the Gorr story's conclusion, and the pacing of it is excellent--the story's had time to grow into something truly great but it's only got a couple more issues to go, so I know it won't overstay its welcome.

Fearless Defenders #4 is a mixed bag. After last issue's fun introduction of Hippolyta, this one's back to accentuating all the minor irritants this series holds for me. Valkyrie's just wishy-washy and ineffective rather than the confident warrior she should be, there's yet another retcon to her past, and nothing really noteworthy happens in this issue. Hippolyta's dialogue is still fun and engaging, and Misty Knight asserts herself a bit more this issue than she has in the past, which is nice, but otherwise the issue is sort of tepid overall. Will Sliney's art continues to be kind of meh--not overly terrible, not especially great, just sort of... there.

Uncanny Avengers #8 was good. Thor and Sunfire immediately settle into an unexpected buddy-cop routine that is surprisingly fun amid the rather dire circumstances the Apocalypse Twins are engineering. This issue thankfully fills in some of the gaps in the backstory for the Apocalypse Twins--something that was sorely lacking in the previous issue, which just treated them like old friends readers should automatically know about. Cap has a fun segment that I don't want to spoil anything about, but other than that the rest of the team doesn't really have much to do; this is a Thor/Sunfire/Apocalypse Twins issue, for the most part. Jan does get a little b****y suspicion of the mutants in in this issue, which kind of disturbed me. I hope Remender isn't leading up to Jan being the token racist on the Unity team or anything. It was bad enough when Bendis recast her as an insensitive c*** for no particular reason in Disassembled; now that she's finally back from the dead, I'd rather not see her personality twisted any further.

I also just read all of Savage Wolverine's issues to date because I found out Amadeus Cho is in them. It's a mixed bag, to be honest. There is certainly something appealing about Wolverine, Shanna, and Cho all bumbling around the Savage Land's Forbidden Island and constantly screwing up. Wolverine and Shanna's b****y repartee alternates between charming and irritating. Shanna herself constantly reminds me that this is a Frank Cho comic and thus there's a vaguely skeevy patina of pervyness that clings to every page of every issue like a 13-year-old boy's spooge; but for all his gross oversexualization, Cho is still a great draftsman and a good storyteller, so it's not too bad. Slightly more annoying is Wolverine falling into the clichť that various other writers constantly try to avoid--that is, the savage, murderous psychopath who pays lip service to wanting to find peaceful solutions but will immediately cut anyone or anything to ribbons if provoked in the slightest.

I'm actually sort of interested in the story, which is all over the place but in a fun way; Wolverine and Cho literally just appear on the Forbidden Island, there's a machine messing with Cho's super-science suit that turns out to be Celestial tech, there's a tribe of primitive humans who worship Cho but are trying to kill Wolverine and Shanna, Shanna dies and gets resurrected by a Man-Thing-looking guy... and it's only 4 issues in. It's not bad, but I won't be going out of my way to recommend it anytime soon.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #178
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I skip anything to do with the Savage Land, even if Wolverine is in it. I'd consider it if they had a bunch of naked Gambits maybe... but even then, probably not.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #179
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

How can anyone hate the Savage Land, of all things? It's one of the most fun elements of Marvel's world.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #180
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

It is so improbable I can't even stand it. Dinosaurs in a tropical jungle in the middle of the Arctic? Yeah, that could happen....

Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #181
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

It's not like it's some new crazy idea marvel had.. literally 1 million old scifi movies/ books with the same neat idea.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #182
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I'm with squeek on this one, Savage Land stories always bored me to tears.

I think it's because we're X-fans, and any X-men story of the past 20 years dealing with the Savage Land has usually been bad, poorly drawn, or uneventful. They're throwaway stories between more important story arcs

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #183
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I love the Savage Land...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #184
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
It is so improbable I can't even stand it. Dinosaurs in a tropical jungle in the middle of the Arctic? Yeah, that could happen....
Well, my favorite character's a living god who lived in another dimension for most of his existence, so I guess I have a higher tolerance for the improbable.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #185
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I'm with squeek on this one, Savage Land stories always bored me to tears.

I think it's because we're X-fans, and any X-men story of the past 20 years dealing with the Savage Land has usually been bad, poorly drawn, or uneventful. They're throwaway stories between more important story arcs
they went to the well to many times..there should be like a mall there and a starbucks by now...maybe a little subdivision.

I mean with marvel's crazed timeline, X-men are probably there 5 times a year.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #186
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

You can make that argument about Wakanda or Latveria.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #187
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

Small week, and next week will be even smaller. I await the wallet buster to end May.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 5/8/13:

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #0: Valiant Entertainment has been on an upward climb to relevance since 2005, when it was reorganized after being shut down for a year, and having been mostly off the stage since the mid 1990's. The relaunch of several of their comic book franchises last summer has been a success, at least in relative terms for "third party" publishers. Among them is "Archer & Armstrong" as revived by writer Fred Van Lente, who employs the same magic he utilized on Marvel Comics' "Incredible Hercules" with this title. April ended the series' second arc, and this issue is a standalone story drawn by the series' first artist, Clayton Henry (alongside colorist David Baron). It is a "zero issue" perhaps for promotion, even though this issue in terms of its narrative places itself between issue nine (the previous) and the tenth (the next). It would make more sense to just make this the tenth issue and kick off the third arc with an eleventh, although issue numbering shenanigans have become popular by the big two.

After saving the world (again), the immortal super strong poet Armstrong and the teenage martial arts prodigy (from a fundamentalist Christian theme park) Archer have settled in Vegas to catch their breath. Archer is seeking to educate himself with tomes he was previously forbidden to read, which include the first major narrative ever told, "the epic of Gilgamesh". As it turns out, Armstrong has a stronger connection to the story as anyone believes as it proves to have been a fictionalized account of he and his brothers seeking out "the boon" back in the B.C. era. While we have met Armstrong's younger and more violent brother Gilad, this tale gives readers more of a look of his elder brother, the intelligent Ivar. Sent on a quest by the king of Ur, they wind up finding the secret of immortality, as well as fight against dinosaurs and strange monks.

At heart this is a simple adventure story which embellishes Armstrong's past a bit, but it is the execution which sells this. Van Lente's script properly mingles amusing dialogue among the brothers along with high adventure, and Henry's artwork as usual works well to enhance it. It is easy to see the roots of "Incredible Hercules" in this tale, only this work seems free of Marvel crossovers or tacky relaunches and has become its own beast. "Archer & Armstrong" has been a consistently good if not excellent series for almost a year, and it is severely under appreciated.

FEARLESS DEFENDERS #4: Cullen Bunn's latest team series at Marvel Comics continues with its opening arc involving Valkyrie's new origin and her impromptu band of shield-maidens. The art is by Will Sliney and colored by Veronica Gandini, and they get a bit to do as this is a strict action issue. While Marvel have solicited this title up to an eighth issue, sales in April indicated it was selling at the bottom of the top 90 with its third issue - and Marvel are rarely shy with cancellation orders. It was perhaps folly to launch a new "Defenders" series mere months after higher profile writer Matt Fraction failed to make one last a year despite some decent promotion. At any rate, Valkyrie has stumbled upon an alliance with Misty Knight, Dani Moonstar, Hippolyta (the revived queen of the Amazons), and Misty's archaeologist ally Annabelle Riggs against the vicious Doom-maidens. Much like Kieron Gillen's run on "Thor" from several years ago, this adds another "class of ancient Valkyries Odin banished" to Asgard's history, although in fairness this is being used to further Valkyrie's character. Marvel's been historically hesitant to use their version of Hippolyta considering DC Comics' "Wonder Woman" franchise, Bunn shows no such qualms and she's actually quite fun. The heroines have to make a tactical retreat, and next issue seems to promise more recruiting. Bunn makes a reference to the last "Heroes for Hire" series and this title seems to have fallen into a middle ground of being neither terrible nor terrific, which may account for the low sales.

UNCANNY AVENGERS #8: Rick Remender and the latest regular artist Daniel Acuna continue along the second arc of the kick off series from the "Marvel NOW" editorial push. The enemies of the month are Eimin and Uriel, the latest heirs of the legacy of the X-Men villain Apocalypse dubbed the "Apocalypse Twins". To this end Remender continues to play with dangling plot threads from his long run on "Uncanny X-Force" over the years. Having been raised by Kang in a hellish future and given a cosmically powerful ax that Kang tricked Thor into making in ancient times, they have successfully destroyed the S.W.O.R.D. space station and are bringing further chaos to the world. The new team of random Avengers and X-Men members are split up and secrets continue to divide them. Thor and Sunfire get the most to do in this issue, saving Rio De Janeiro and tracking down the villains. Remender employs a heavy narration style akin to Chris Claremont, as well as playing with far out sci-fi concepts and continuity to some extreme directions. This action has a lot of action and spectacle, and Remender does his best to not lose his characters to it. However, this arc seems very much to have drawn from previous works, which readers who missed them could find confusing. The merger of the X-Men and Avengers universe may be long overdue, but at least Remender has the imagination to keep it from being predictable.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #188
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Well, my favorite character's a living god who lived in another dimension for most of his existence, so I guess I have a higher tolerance for the improbable.
Oddly, other dimension stuff is cool with me. It's like once you change locations, anything is possible whereas a tropical place in the middle of a frozen one is just too hard to take.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #189
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

While I like the idea of the Savage Land, I never seem to enjoy the stories set there.

The only story that I kinda enjoyed was the first half of Secret Invasion, which was just alright. The impersonating skrulls in an ancient jungle had a cool vibe to it.

X-Men Unlimited #1 was good, but it was mostly in the Antarctic with very little in the actual Savage Land. I want to say I liked the Uncanny X-Men 250 era story in the Savage Land, but I don't really remember.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #190
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Avengers #11: This issue was a crazy change of pace from #10, but it works really well. Hickmen is using enough characters to let him tell a variety of stories in different genres. I think that's why I like this series. It does a lot of world building that deals with greater ideas in the Marvel Universe, but the stories still range from psychological thrillers to the spy genre. And it all fits under the machine/origin site storyline.

This issue had a great cast of characters, which is probably why I liked this issue more than the last. Each character actually has something to do and shows their personality. Captain Marvel goes against the big bad of the issue, and the dialog in the showdown was quite well written. The Black Widow was a little extreme I thought - It's weird that the world knows her as the "female avenger" because of the movies, but she flat out murders people without trial. It's an interesting contrast to the rest of the team. Cannonball and Sunspot partying with the A.I.M henchmen was hilarious. I love Sam and Bobby's bromance, and they had a great dynamic this issue. My only complaint is that they have so far only been played for comedic relief. I want to eventually see some actual dramatic developments for them (so Sam doesn't have PTSD anymore?). Shang Chi was probably the star of the issue, as he got the most action and did it like a boss.

Uncanny Avengers #8: If Remender's writing wasn't so cheesy, this would be an amazing story. The narration boxes and the whole cliched "since they're divided our heroes won't win. They must unite" really undermine a lot of the coolness of the Apocalypse twins. They Unity Team is totally shoehorned into this story, aside from Thor, Wolverine, and Sunfire. Jan was completely unbearable. She came into the team saying how dramatic mutants are, and then proceeds to start all kinds of drama herself, especially with Rogue. But the things I did like were Sunfire and Thor, the Apocalypse Twins's character designs and powers, and Rogue. While I wish the art would do a little bit more of the storytelling (instead of the narration boxes just telling us everything) it's still absolutely gorgeous.

Astonishing X-men #62: I haven't read Astonishing since Whedon, and I didn't read anything to do with X-termination. But the solicits said this would be an Iceman storyline, and he isn't doing much in the titles I read so I decided to give it a go. I was going to read Astonishing again when Marjorie Liu started since I liked the cast, but the art was a turnoff and I didn't hear great things. But I really liked this issue. Bobby's story is turned into a commentary on the personal lives of superheroes. I'm glad something interesting is happening with him, as he craves intimacy so much he's been subconsciously contacting his exes, who all humorously show up at the same time. The issue ends setting up Iceman as a new villain, as his powers are causing another ice age. While I'm sick of heroes going dark (after Jean and Angel, any characters going to the dark side just comes off as weak in comparison), I'm hoping Iceman gets some solid development after this storyline is over. I'll continue with this storyline and stick around as long as it keeps my interest.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 05-12-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #191
Spider-Jay420
Welcome Back Peter Parker

R S T L N E? What kinda signature is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you've got some really good poses in there man. *congrats*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroAids View Post
SpideyJay.....I've said it before and I'll say it again...Nice ass display! They look sweet, man.
Spider-Jay420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #192
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Jay420
R S T L N E? What kinda signature is that?
My first thought was RL Stine, but then I thought of Wheel of Fortune.

But now it's D O F P.

Days of Future Past?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #193
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
Dread, I have enjoyed reading your various reviews. But, I have to say, and excuse me if I read you wrong, but I think you read this issue wrong. I don't think Slott was saying Ock's argument was "right," or that Ock was morally "superior." It was Ock that was saying it, from his point of view. Ock knows Pete (even better now) and Pete's sense of responsibility and sense of guilt and he uses this one slip up of Pete against him. It is classic Pete. His guilt defeats him. I don't think Slott was saying Ock was in fact "superior."

And, on a side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Slott this weekend.

Mr. Slott, if by chance you read this, I hope I did not come off too "geeky" or too "gushy." It's just I didn't want to take up too much of your time and I tried to blurt out what I wanted to say. I am sincere in saying you have done an outstanding job since taking over the title. Your sense of history, continuity, and character (particularly Pete) has been fantastic!
I met Dan last year, and he's very friendly and personable. I hardly said two sentences to him; but, that's how I always am when I meet new people. I can spout a lot more online than I ever could in real life.

BTW, I just read the latest issue of Iron Man. Seems like this will be a major storyline, redefining Iron Man's past. This is just a prologue; but, it was great to see Gillen use Death's Head again.

Phaedrus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #194
Spider-Jay420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
My first thought was RL Stine, but then I thought of Wheel of Fortune.

But now it's D O F P.

Days of Future Past?
But the blanks don't match up. Yeah, I got nothing. I didn't get Uncanny avengers this week, so I was digging Corpy's and MadOne's reviews, and then these letters hit me, and I'm like, what the hell is that?

Please, MadOnes, end the suspense.

Quote:
Quote:
SpideyJay.....I've said it before and I'll say it again...Nice ass display! They look sweet, man.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #195
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm thinking the spaces are just spacing out the letters to fill up his sig area.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #196
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus45 View Post
BTW, I just read the latest issue of Iron Man. Seems like this will be a major storyline, redefining Iron Man's past. This is just a prologue; but, it was great to see Gillen use Death's Head again.
I like Death's Head and all but I'm eager to see Death's Head II show up again. He's been missing since the 90s with the exception of a barely there cameo in Captain Britian and MI:13. He was such a cool character. His title was a lot of fun, if you look past the cheesecake 90s t&a art.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #197
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Haha I don't know what's going on?

To me it just shows

D O F P (for days of future past. I know, not too creative)

Does it not show up that way? Haha should I change it? I was getting bored with my old one. I definitely never put R S T L N E???? haha

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #198
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

BOOYAH!!! Never doubt the Jewhob!

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #199
Spider-Jay420

The R S T L N E was all me. That was a Wheel Of Fortune reference. JewHobs was right again! You know the last puzzle when Pat gives the guy R S T L N E? That was me saying"Yeah, I'm gonna need some help to solve THIS puzzle."no worries, MadOnes. It gave me something to think about for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
BOOYAH!!! Never doubt the Jewhob!

Nice work, buddy. You're 2 for 2 with Coded Messeges today!

Now I feel like I have to contribute. MAY 8th 2013

BATMAN #20 was pretty good. Clayface is always a cool villian and its always entertaining when he shows up. I liked the quick 2 parter. The only complaint I have is the trash compacter scene. My man just happens to have the Batman Beyond suit in the garbagepile, about to be smashed to bits, cuz its too expensive for its own use? Huh? that silly Lucious Fox, he sure is convenient to have around!

AVENGERS #11 was good too. I guess I liked the focus on the lesser known characters, but I didn't really know who these guys were. It took me minute to figure out who the Peter Parker lookin dude was. But the casino scene and the A.I.M. after party were great, and Shang Chi was so Bruce Lee is wasn't even funny. It was !! Cool sorta breather issue.

I think I read THANOS #2 this week, but I don't remember. I'm bored with it. It turns out I don't care about Thanos' backstory. I just want to see a kick ass evil space tyrant and he didn't show up.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #200
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Shang Chi can be cool and all... but I don't really understand Hickman's thinking by removing Iron Fist from the team and then bringing in Shang Chi. They could have served the same purpose, but Iron Fist would be better known, was already established as an Avenger, has a more interesting past and cast of supporting cast to pull from, and would have brought in more readers.

I gave the book 6 or 7 issues without Iron Fist and liked it, dropping it only due to finances. I'd still be reading if he were actually in it.

Then again, Iron Fist not being in the book freed me to save $8 a month and keeps it open for a Heroes for Hire return C'mon Bendis! You teased it!

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and