The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane's Angela character to appear in Age of Ultron

Todd McFarlane and Neil Gaiman's Spawn character Angela is joining the Marvel U in Age of Ultron epilogue.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/...of-the-galaxy/

I just ordered Spawn #9, the first appearance of Angela, on ebay for $5. One is already bidding at $100 lol.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Default Re: Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane's Angela character to appear in Age of Ultron

Yeah, I read that earlier today. I've never read Spawn so I know next to nothing about her. I just hope her appearing in Age of Ultron makes sense.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Default Re: Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane's Angela character to appear in Age of Ultron

I've got a copy of Spawn #9 somewhere at my dad's house. Supposedly she's going to be in GotG. I personally don't see her as that big a deal honestly. I'd rather see Miracleman.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Same.

I think the bigger news here is that Neil Gaiman is returning to Marvel, where he'll be helping Bendis write Guardians of the Galaxy 5. If he were to become a regular on that book, I would buy the crap out of it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

A random thought. If Neil Gaiman's willing to work with Marvel again, could that be a sign of Miracleman's eventual return?

I never did read his run on the title, though I loved Moore's stuff. I'm not typically one to enjoy darker books, but that was just a really good series.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I've never read Spawn so I know next to nothing about her.
She's an angel (yeah, duh) who hunted and killed Spawns for a living. Before she was killed off, she became an ally of Al Simmons' Spawn.

Quote:
I just hope her appearing in Age of Ultron makes sense.
It probably won't. Not perfectly, at least. Her story is steeped in Spawn history. They'll have to omit a lot of it.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I'm fairly certain I have Angela #1 and Spawn #9 put away somewhere. I always read comics, but during the big collector's boom, my older brother got into buying the Image books that everyone was after because it was the cool thing to do and he thought he would make money. He eventually forgot about them and I took them as my own. I never read them, since I was never into the early Image stuff, but I am pretty sure I still have it.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Donnie Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
A random thought. If Neil Gaiman's willing to work with Marvel again, could that be a sign of Miracleman's eventual return?

I never did read his run on the title, though I loved Moore's stuff. I'm not typically one to enjoy darker books, but that was just a really good series.
I have never read any Miracleman, and it seems damn near impossible to buy it now since it is so expensive, but that's what I have been wondering. Gaiman writing the book makes sense.

How long was Gaiman on Spawn? For some reason, I don't think I ever knew he was on it.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

What the whack? That is going to be...so strange seeing a major Spawn character fitting into Marvel's universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Lauper
Taffy butt! You have a taffy butt!
There's treasure in that butt
I want that taffy butt!
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
How long was Gaiman on Spawn? For some reason, I don't think I ever knew he was on it.
I think just a couple of the early issues.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Aesculapius
Side-Kick

Well, this is definitely a WTF.

I was never a huge reader of Spawn. In the last year or so I've looked up the Wikipedia synopsis to find out what direction the series actually took and was like "Ehhhhhhhh......" Not really sure how much sense this one will make.

On a side note, I guess this means that Flash-Venom can now try to be Spawn even harder.

Aesculapius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

This is such a weird announcement. I never read much Spawn back in the day, but I'm super excited for Neil Gaiman to do something with Marvel again. Has it been said what he's doing besides whatever's happening with Angela in the GotG book? Either way, I'll be picking GotG #5 up for sure.

SpideyForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

She could be Marvel's Wonder Woman. Fantastic addition.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

We will get more news April 1st when marvel announces

APRIL FOOL

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

so does McFarlane own any aspect of Angela at this point? does he have to sign contracts (as well as Gaiman) to license the character to marvel? how did they swing this?

I hope she shows up in Avengers 2 the movie.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

He was feeling good after his Talking Dead spot on Sunday Night....man seriously he is such a tool.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

What sucks is that I really want another (properly done) Spawn movie or another (kick-ass) Spawn animated series, based around the earlier Spawn stories, and Angela would have HAD to be included. Not anymore.

In reply to what Aesculapius said (I'm not quite seeing how the current Venom is like Spawn, but besides that), I imagined Valkyrie thrown into the mix (Flash Thompson and Valkyrie are in a relationship). Valkyrie & Angela in the same book?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Lauper
Taffy butt! You have a taffy butt!
There's treasure in that butt
I want that taffy butt!
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #18
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
so does McFarlane own any aspect of Angela at this point?
No. Gaiman won full rights to Angela and her angel friends.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #19
Aesculapius
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. Gaiman won full rights to Angela and her angel friends.
I thought they were splitting the character rights 50/50. At least that is what the wikipedia page alludes to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
In reply to what Aesculapius said (I'm not quite seeing how the current Venom is like Spawn, but besides that), I imagined Valkyrie thrown into the mix (Flash Thompson and Valkyrie are in a relationship). Valkyrie & Angela in the same book?!!
Oh the whole demon in the symbiote thing and how they've been having him fight hellish supernatural characters. From what I read of the comic I get the feeling they are trying to walk a line between Spider-Comics and Al Simmons when reading it.

Last edited by Aesculapius; 03-22-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Aesculapius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
I thought they were splitting the character rights 50/50. At least that is what the wikipedia page alludes to.
That was before. They shared rights to her, so McFarlane couldn't use her without Gaiman's permission. It's been like that for years. Obviously, something's changed behind closed doors, and now Gaiman has what he wanted all along.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
shiva666
art designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
She could be Marvel's Wonder Woman. Fantastic addition.
huh... didn't they recently pop Hipolita out of the bag? between her and Valkyrie they got that **** covered.

I do hope it's an April's fool joke, but then again DC got wildstorm apollo and midnighter side by side with Superman and bats... and this 2 companies are so much into mimicking each others poor decisions...

This courtroom «creation» process is a craptastic ode to the failure of copyright.

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
Donnie Darko

Yeah, I feel like Marvel has it covered in actually having the characters to be "Marvel's Wonder Woman," but they just haven't been able to execute it or get anyone up on that iconic level. Like shiva just said, Valkyrie has the mythology/warrior aspect covered. She-Hulk has starred in her own books, been an Avenger/FF member, and is a powerhouse. You can also say that about Storm, just she has been in X-Men instead of a solo book, but she is very powerful and was in Avengers and FF at different times, as well as being a queen for a short period. Bendis really pushed Spider-Woman as the face of the female Marvel heroes for a while. Now, I feel like they REALLY want Captain Marvel to be their premiere female hero, so we'll see.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I feel like they try to hard at times to make someone THE female character of Marvel without allowing it to grow organically. The best way for it to grow organically is through a consistent creative team that slowly builds them up to prominance, like has been done with a majority of the men (Luke Cage for example). Sadly, we seldom have regular creative teams and the constant relaunching of titles makes marketability even worse for lesser female characters. It's like writers know they might only have a year at most to write their story, and if they want to play up a character they need to do it fast. Then they leave and the next write doesn't capitolize on it... and it was all for nothing.

Captain Marvel is the push right now. What build up did she have to this title? A 3-issue tie-in in a 3rd tier Avengers book. And BOOM, Marvel's "Wonder Woman". Gee... I wonder why the comic's tanking and being canceled.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #24
Snikt8
X

So with all the cross time jumping, will this be the result? Different characters showing up in different times - like Angela coming in from other publishers? At the end of the Age of Ultron will this be the consequence?

Snikt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
Yeah, I feel like Marvel has it covered in actually having the characters to be "Marvel's Wonder Woman," but they just haven't been able to execute it or get anyone up on that iconic level. Like shiva just said, Valkyrie has the mythology/warrior aspect covered. She-Hulk has starred in her own books, been an Avenger/FF member, and is a powerhouse. You can also say that about Storm, just she has been in X-Men instead of a solo book, but she is very powerful and was in Avengers and FF at different times, as well as being a queen for a short period. Bendis really pushed Spider-Woman as the face of the female Marvel heroes for a while. Now, I feel like they REALLY want Captain Marvel to be their premiere female hero, so we'll see.
It always felt like they were trying to do something with Ms. Marvel. It always seems to fizzle though.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote