Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #101
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
Batman is a darker figure though. Menace and fear is his thing, not so much with Spidey, who's lighter in a darker world. The new suit looks more "iconic", streamlined, and clean. It looks like threatning, which means it looks more heroic. It's more symbolic looking, going hand in hand with the iconic thing. Seriously, you try so hard to make yourself sound like the one who's always "right".
This.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #102
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Batman is a darker figure though. Menace and fear is his thing, not so much with Spidey, who's lighter in a darker world. The new suit looks more "iconic", streamlined, and clean. It looks less threatning, which means it looks more heroic. It's more symbolic looking, going hand in hand with the iconic thing. Seriously, you try so hard to make yourself sound like the one who's always "right".

Likewise. I'm stating my viewpoint. You're trying way too hard to justify how the TASM2 suit "looks" heroic, while the TASM suit doesn't. lol. My point with Batman is that looks don't define how heroic someone is or isn't.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #103
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Likewise. I'm stating my viewpoint. You're trying way too hard to justify how the TASM2 suit "looks" heroic, while the TASM suit doesn't. lol. My point with Batman is that looks don't define how heroic someone is or isn't.
He's not saying that the look of the suit changes the actions of the character. Just the perception. You're arguing about something no one has said.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #104
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
But that's the point. Batman doesn't dress up to look like a hero. His costume is designed to scare bad guys, not look like the "god damn (friendly neighborhood) batman".
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
That's how it's supposed to be. Spiderman is suppose to be a people's hero and that's why the new suit and Batman is suppose to look like that because he works more with stealth and he is supposed to vigilante not a superhero.

But his costume has no effect on how heroic he is (ie. His actions), does it? Is Christophers Reeves' Superman "more heroic" than Cavills' because of his more streamlined, iconic costume? Nope!

Peter was no more/less heroic in his TASM suit than in he will be in the TASM2 suit.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #105
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:

Quote:
He's not saying that the look of the suit changes the actions of the character. Just the perception. You're arguing about something no one has said.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #106
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Batman is a darker figure though. Menace and fear is his thing, not so much with Spidey, who's lighter in a darker world. The new suit looks more "iconic", streamlined, and clean. It looks less threatning, which means it looks more heroic. It's more symbolic looking, going hand in hand with the iconic thing. Seriously, you try so hard to make yourself sound like the one who's always "right".
see all this is really hard to say because not only is the new suit the iconic look from the comics but we haven't really seen TASM much in the day time so its seems more dark and batman like

i personally doubt peter will wake up and look at the suit and go... man that suit doesnt make me look friendly... TIME FOR A CHANGE BABY

im expecting webb to have a better reason for the change

Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #107
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:

Yes. Mr. "Joe_Kickass" argued, on the previous page that the new costume looks more "heroic" than the TASM costume. My claim is that this is a silly argument- as a few design changes to the TASM costume don't make it appear any more or less "heroic". I challenged further what a "heroic" costume is meant to look like and was met with responses like: "softer colors", "friendlier", etc... Even though these things have nothing to do with being "heroic". It's a lame attempt at justifying why the new costume is better than the old one.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #108
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
But his costume has no effect on how heroic he is (ie. His actions), does it? Is Christophers Reeves' Superman "more heroic" than Cavills' because of his more streamlined, iconic costume? Nope!

Peter was no more/less heroic in his TASM suit than in he will be in the TASM2 suit.
For crying out loud man, no one is saying the costume affects how heroic the character actually IS. They're only saying it affect's the public's perception. Are you purposefully ignoring that? They're two totally different things.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #109
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:
Yes. Mr. "Joe_Kickass" argued, on the previous page that the new costume looks more "heroic" than the TASM costume. My claim is that this is a silly argument- as a few design changes to the TASM costume don't make it appear any more or less "heroic". I challenged further what a "heroic" costume is meant to look like and was met with responses like: "softer colors", "friendlier", etc... Even though these things have nothing to do with being "heroic". It's a lame attempt at justifying why the new costume is better than the old one.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #110
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Again, a costume looking "heroic" is different than a character being heroic. It is a valid point to make that a costume can look more or less heroic (which again, doesn't negate what the character actually is).

For example, if you showed a picture of Superman and a picture of Batman to someone who doesn't know anything about the characters, and asked them to pick which was the hero, hands down, they'd choose Superman based on the costumes alone. This doesn't mean that Batman isn't a hero or a good guy; just that the design choices of the costumes have an effect on people's perceptions of the character. In the same vein, one could argue that the look of the ASM2 suit looks friendly/more heroic than the ASM1 suit. Go look through the countless pages of costume threads and you'll see all manner of people state that smaller eyes look more menacing while larger eyes look friendlier for an example of this.

Last edited by Spider-Who?; 03-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #111
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i personally doubt peter will wake up and look at the suit and go... man that suit doesnt make me look friendly... TIME FOR A CHANGE BABY

im expecting webb to go abit deeper with the transition tbh
Maybe not Peter seeing that his suit could use a change to make him look friendlier but someone else saying that, i.e. Gwen makes sense. Often times as a creator of something you can get sort of 'stuck in the painting' and a 3rd party perspective can aid in seeing things differently.

A 'deeper' explanation by Webb would be welcome also. The point is that with such a drastic change in design, a view into why that decision was made is something that I think most fans would appreciate.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #112
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
For crying out loud man, no one is saying the costume affects how heroic the character actually IS. They're only saying it affect's the public's perception. Are you purposefully ignoring that? They're two totally different things.

It's me hammering my point because it seems to be going over your heads that a few menial changes in the costume (brightening the colors, bigger eyes, etc...) may make him appear friendlier or whatever, but they don't make him appear more "heroic".

Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #113
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Again, a costume looking "heroic" is different than a character being heroic. It is a valid point to make that a costume can look more or less heroic (which again, doesn't negate what the character actually is).

And what makes the new TASM2 costume "look" heroic? That it's got brighter colors? That it appears "friendlier"? Friendlier, but not more heroic. It's a dumb argument to make- hence the reason I brought up Batman who has a dark, menacing costume, yet who is still understood as being heroic. The silly thing is trying to define what does and doesn't appear heroic. That's primary school stuff.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #114
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

Quote:
It's me hammering my point because it seems to be going over your heads that a few menial changes in the costume (brightening the colors, bigger eyes, etc...) may make him appear friendlier or whatever, but they don't make him appear more "heroic".

Now decide!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #115
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Sorry, but you're saying two totally different things now. This:

Quote:
...a few menial changes in the costume (brightening the colors, bigger eyes, etc...) may make him appear friendlier or whatever, but they don't make him appear more "heroic".
Is a FAR different argument than this:

Quote:
But his costume has no effect on how heroic he is (ie. His actions), does it?

My point with Batman is that looks don't define how heroic someone is or isn't
Figure out what exactly you're trying to say, and then we can talk.

Last edited by Spider-Who?; 03-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #116
WesMan
Banned User

It's not more *****ing iconic looking. If it was more "iconic" (I hate associating Spider-Man with that word) looking, then it would be the costume The Amazing Spider-Man comics. The new costume is the Ultimate Spider-Man costume.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #117
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

if the suit is based on a look from the comics then its iconic but at same time this is peters vision in the film, not based on anything to be iconic

the spider symbol may be seen as iconic in this film universe

Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #118
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

The more friendly you look, the less you look like a villain. The less you look like a villain, the more heroic you look.

What I'm saying is that friendly and heroic can go hand in hand.

But hey for me the TASM suit is still my favorite.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #119
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMan View Post
It's not more *****ing iconic looking. If it was more "iconic" (I hate associating Spider-Man with that word) looking, then it would be the costume The Amazing Spider-Man comics. The new costume is the Ultimate Spider-Man costume.
The comic USM suit is the comic ASM suit. They're not different suits. The differences you see are the artist's drawing style/interpretation of the Classic ASM/616 suit. It's no more a departure than going from JRJR's ASM/616 Spidey to Delgado's ASM/616 Spidey.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #120
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

Some of you guys really thought they would not explain the new suit??? Wow....lol. I knew they would.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #121
ChrisB
Batman News

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrooksgohan View Post
Some of you guys really thought they would not explain the new suit??? Wow....lol. I knew they would.
I watched 10 years worth of Batman movies where they never explained it! Christopher Nolan finally put an end to it and wrote it into the story. I'm happy to see that Marc Webb is taking a similar approach.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #122
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Not explaining costume changes has never been an issue with me. I don't need to hear an explanation whenever someone changes their fashion style - I don't really need to hear a reason why (insert hero here) changes their costume (unless its a MASSIVE change, like going from red and blue spidey to black suit spidey).

Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #123
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

That's a good point. But I knew they would.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #124
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMan View Post

yeah, that's the worst argument ever. 616 and Ultimate are the exact same ****ing costume.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #125
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
yeah, that's the worst argument ever. 616 and Ultimate are the exact same ****ing costume.
Haha yeah. Even with the lenses, different artists do big or small.
But they are basing Andrew's physique off of Mark Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man.. (they've said in interviews)

Closed Thread