The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #101
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Default Re: Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 7

^ "I know, right?!"

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #102
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Had no idea! Well, there ya go. Imagine their kids...oh my. They have to tell them they met on set for Green Lantern. Poor them.
Their Kids "So Mom and Dad how did you two meet?"

Blake and Ryan "We met on the The Dark Knight Rises sorry kids I lied(Rex) we met on a crappy movie that was crappier then Batman & Robin it was called Green Lantern."

Their Kids "BAHAHAHAHA"

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #103
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

If GL's box office failure prevents GL from being in the league, by that same reasoning they shouldn't have had Hulk in Avengers, who turned out to be the best part of the movie for many people.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #104
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

John Stewart will be in their more diversity to JL.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #105
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
If GL's box office failure prevents GL from being in the league, by that same reasoning they shouldn't have had Hulk in Avengers, who turned out to be the best part of the movie for many people.
Not the same. TIH made a lot more money than GL in the box office. Norton was going to come back no problem until they had issues behind the scenes. It had nothing to do with performance or box office numbers. Also Hulk (before 2008) was the most recognizable character in the Avengers lineup and one of the most popular heroes in Marvel along with Spider-Man and Wolverine. Green Lantern isn't on the same level and the general audience hasn't been exposed throughout the decades to him like Hulk has with Lou Ferrigno.

After Iron Man became huge with RDJ, Hulk was the next big thing. They had to put him in, just like they have to put Wonder Woman in Justice League.

Green Lantern doesn't have much backing it, so unfortunately it could be thrown on the back burner.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #106
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
1 of them makes the cut. Who would everybody choose if they had to only choose one? Let's say Hal Jordan is a no-go for the studio. Choose one.
I'd personally ***** slap the studio, then pick John. I like Martian Manhunter and Cyborg more than John, but I love Green Lantern more than anything.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #107
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

I stand by my preference for Martian Manhunter.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #108
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

Its too greedy to ask for both JS and MM?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #109
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

You know, I bet DC's killing off John Stewart to see how big the backlash would be. They're testing to see how much the GA actually likes the character, so they can decide whether or not to put him in JL. This is all WB's doing! Bastards.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #110
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheBatman View Post
Its too greedy to ask for both JS and MM?
Yeah, too much for a first movie. I'd love it, but I say save MM and Aquaman for JL2.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #111
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Not the same. TIH made a lot more money than GL in the box office. Norton was going to come back no problem until they had issues behind the scenes. It had nothing to do with performance or box office numbers. Also Hulk (before 2008) was the most recognizable character in the Avengers lineup and one of the most popular heroes in Marvel along with Spider-Man and Wolverine. Green Lantern isn't on the same level and the general audience hasn't been exposed throughout the decades to him like Hulk has with Lou Ferrigno.

After Iron Man became huge with RDJ, Hulk was the next big thing. They had to put him in, just like they have to put Wonder Woman in Justice League.

Green Lantern doesn't have much backing it, so unfortunately it could be thrown on the back burner.
Well TIH only made 263 million, and GL only made 219 million.

But I get your point. Regardless if TIH wasn't successful, Hulk has proven its popularity before, with tv shows and another prior movie.

One reason GL might be included is because they've already started with him though. He has his own show as well. Starting from scratch with another obsure character like Hawkman or MM with zero popularity is even worse, no?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #112
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well TIH only made 263 million, and GL only made 219 million.

But I get your point. Regardless if TIH wasn't successful, Hulk has proven its popularity before, with tv shows and another prior movie.

One reason GL might be included is because they've already started with him though. He has his own show as well. Starting from scratch with another obsure character like Hawkman or MM with zero popularity is even worse, no?
Yeah but TIH had a budget of what? 150 mil? And GL had a budget of like 200 mil.

Ya I agree, it may be too obscure. That's why Nightwing could work. What are they doing with MM in the comics these days? I bet Cyborg is getting more exposure now. So they would probably choose him over MM simply because he's black (I know its stupid) and MM can go either way with the casting, and Cyborg is also more "grounded" as they like to say. It's also a bit of a youthful reaction to Iron Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
You know, I bet DC's killing off John Stewart to see how big the backlash would be. They're testing to see how much the GA actually likes the character, so they can decide whether or not to put him in JL. This is all WB's doing! Bastards.
That's very possible. What's the general reaction so far to the news?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #113
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Y
It was so overwhelmingly negative that DC immediately nixed the plans.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #114
shauner111
Side-Kick

Oh my.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #115
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah but TIH had a budget of what? 150 mil? And GL had a budget of like 200 mil.

Ya I agree, it may be too obscure. That's why Nightwing could work. What are they doing with MM in the comics these days? I bet Cyborg is getting more exposure now. So they would probably choose him over MM simply because he's black (I know its stupid) and MM can go either way with the casting, and Cyborg is also more "grounded" as they like to say. It's also a bit of a youthful reaction to Iron Man.

They're not gonna kill him off head over to www.newsarama.com

Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #116
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Is there any reality where we could have Strong as Sinestro and may be John Stewart as the Green Lantern. If that is possible I want that!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #117
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
Is there any reality where we could have Strong as Sinestro and may be John Stewart as the Green Lantern. If that is possible I want that!
Anything can happen I never imagined Bale or Nolan coming back!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #118
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
well we weren't talking about profit, we were using box office numbers as a measure of popularity; but yes, GL was a bigger failure. It still doesn't mean that his inclusion in the league will require an enormous budget though, especially if they don't have an all cg suit (at least not as much as the Hulk was in Avengers no doubt).

Quote:

They aren't doing much with MM and Cyborg in the comics. MM has finally reappeared in the DCuniverse in JLA and Cyborg is getting a little more attention in JL than before, which was none. Neither have their own books.

Green Lantern on the other hand has 3 books to itself, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, and Green Lantern: New Guardians. There are also GLs in 2 justice league books, JL and JLA (3, before JL International was cancelled).

That being said, it's not about what's most popular in comics, it's about what would work as a film. Iron Man wasn't very big in comics before RDJ after all. Cyborg could be huge given the right treatment on film.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #119
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Hulk and The Incredible Hulk both failed to break even at Box Office, that's Two failures within a period of six years, GL property is not as bad shape as it seems.

I expect John Stewart to be included in Justice League movie, GL is too important franchise to be left behind.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #120
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
You never know. I would like that.

If they can bring back Judi Dench in the Bond reboot, while Marc Webb is thinking of bringing J.K Simmons back in his Spidey reboot as J.J Jameson (god I hope so) then why not? The problem is, if they're that serious about cutting ties with GL, that includes all of its actors. They wont want people thinking it's a continuation of the story, where the post-credit scene left off with Sinestro & now Hal has passed the torch to John.

Quote:
That being said, it's not about what's most popular in comics, it's about what would work as a film. Iron Man wasn't very big in comics before RDJ after all. Cyborg could be huge given the right treatment on film.
Sure. Cyborg can work well with the right people. But will they replace GL with him? Im positive they'll keep the lineup at 5. So it's Green Lantern or Cyborg.

Nightwing might be too much of a risk. You can't write in the character, who im sure would be a strong side character for Batman, and then what if a deal falls apart with Nolan? What if JGL doesn't like the script? You would have to base it all on JGL, and he's not signing unless everything is finished and in order. That's why Nightwing can only work in JL as a cameo or something. World's Finest with JGL might be a different story.

Swapping GL with Martian Manhunter makes no sense. He's expensive to shoot if he's going to be marketed as a full fledged member with the rest. He's another guy who works better as a cameo and hint to the 2nd movie. ElMayimbe also says he's not in the movie (just like Aquaman, Hawkman and Hawkgirl).

That leaves me with Cyborg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I expect John Stewart to be included in Justice League movie, GL is too important franchise to be left behind.
My thoughts too BUT is it really an important franchise to the people at WB? They may not give a damn about what he is like in the comics.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #121
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Given IronMan's popularity, I could imagine WB seeing Cyborg as a safe bet.

However, GA's meet see it as an IronMan ripoff (or a War Machine ripoff, given the silver suit, and black guy), depending on how the sound/visual effects are handled.

That being said, he's a complete badass who deserves to have the film treatment.
He's also extremely interesting in that he's connected to everything. He's a guy I can see them making a successful solo movie out of, regardless of it being a superhero movie. Sort of like Silva in Skyfall, but the protagonist, just a kid in high school.

They could also do a lot with Cyborg with Boom Tubes, a tie to braniac, Darkseid, etc.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-23-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #122
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:

My thoughts too BUT is it really an important franchise to the people at WB? They may not give a damn about what he is like in the comics.
General audiences are very much aware bout the Green Lantern now than they were five years ago, that is due to popular GL comics, DVD animated movies, the failed (but greatly advertised) GL movie and its merchandise, a GL animated TV series.

Just look at the response generated by the news that DC comics were about to kill off a popular GL - John Stewart, that compelled DC to abandon the plan.

WB would benefit from using GL in Justice League movie, so that a spin-off GL movie could be made.

If Marvel's Guardians of Galaxy is successful, you can bet that Marvel will move to make a Nova movie (which is GL rip-off) and WB would look foolish when Nova becomes a success, while GL property is left in cold storage.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #123
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Edit

Old 03-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #124
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
It was so overwhelmingly negative that DC immediately nixed the plans.
Quote:
Oh my.
Seems more possible that John Stewart could be the GL in JL. I think WB will take notice of something like this. Shows just how popular he is.

Quote:

If they can bring back Judi Dench in the Bond reboot, while Marc Webb is thinking of bringing J.K Simmons back in his Spidey reboot as J.J Jameson (god I hope so) then why not? The problem is, if they're that serious about cutting ties with GL, that includes all of its actors. They wont want people thinking it's a continuation of the story, where the post-credit scene left off with Sinestro & now Hal has passed the torch to John.

Sure. Cyborg can work well with the right people. But will they replace GL with him? Im positive they'll keep the lineup at 5. So it's Green Lantern or Cyborg.

Nightwing might be too much of a risk. You can't write in the character, who im sure would be a strong side character for Batman, and then what if a deal falls apart with Nolan? What if JGL doesn't like the script? You would have to base it all on JGL, and he's not signing unless everything is finished and in order. That's why Nightwing can only work in JL as a cameo or something. World's Finest with JGL might be a different story.

Swapping GL with Martian Manhunter makes no sense. He's expensive to shoot if he's going to be marketed as a full fledged member with the rest. He's another guy who works better as a cameo and hint to the 2nd movie. ElMayimbe also says he's not in the movie (just like Aquaman, Hawkman and Hawkgirl).

That leaves me with Cyborg.

I agree with what you said about Nightwing and MM. I also think Cyborg can be great if handled by the right people, but he's a second tier character just like Nightwing. I know that Iron Man was in the same place, but I don't think they'll replace a known hero like GL with Cyborg, who's less known and isn't a senior member of the league.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #125
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Seems more possible that John Stewart could be the GL in JL. I think WB will take notice of something like this. Shows just how popular he is.
Doubtful. The same thing happened (on a larger scale) for Dick Grayson. Dick Grayson has still not been on film for 16 years.

Closed Thread