The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #826
mohoo
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think it's too early to speed up the marketing.

Personally, I don't care too much about MoS marketing before May. Certainly prefer it to be too little than too much.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #827
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As someone who has been following & predicting the box office every week since 2004 (and on & off since 1999), I have a decent eye for how films will do. I am not the most consistent week to week predictor (there are others on the web much, much better than I), but I have developed an eye for break out hits and under performers.

In my time following it, I am hard pressed to find a film which is quite as marketable as MOS seems to be (especially considering that MOS isn't a sequel. For sequels, the biggest piece of marketing is always the preceding film). Pearl Harbor in 2001, Spider-man in 2002, The Matrix Reloaded in 2003, Star Wars - Episode 3 in 2005, King Kong in 2005, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 in 2006, Transformers in 2007, and so on were all up there. On paper, it is tough to find a better film.

The brand 'superman'. Mega action, serious drama, serious romance, I assume some comedy. It's light and bright/not dark and gloomy. Zack Snyder is known for his money shots, and this is the mother of all actiones. It is Star Wars meets Spider-man. It appeals strongly to men and women, children and the elderly. Amy Adams is a popular actress, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and Diane Lane very famous names. Henry Cavill's face - saying this straight - is the show stopping type of a Pattinson or younger Brad Pitt.

From an individual films perspective, I can't think of any for whome it would have been easier to give it the highly coveted "serious mass appeal". This should have the interested from the teenage and young adult crowd that the Nolan films had, while having the interest from the kids crowd which Raimi's Spider-mans had. This should have more interest in the romance crowd than any superhero film has ever had. This should have interest in older generations (for whome Superman was a more popular character) than any other super hero.

Theres no excuse for this opening below 100m. A full kick ass trailer with the NCAA championship can solidify MOS as the summers big break out movie (Trek and IM3 are more expected to be huge).

R.I.P. Heath
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #828
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
As someone who has been following & predicting the box office every week since 2004 (and on & off since 1999), I have a decent eye for how films will do. I am not the most consistent week to week predictor (there are others on the web much, much better than I), but I have developed an eye for break out hits and under performers.

In my time following it, I am hard pressed to find a film which is quite as marketable as MOS seems to be (especially considering that MOS isn't a sequel. For sequels, the biggest piece of marketing is always the preceding film). Pearl Harbor in 2001, Spider-man in 2002, The Matrix Reloaded in 2003, Star Wars - Episode 3 in 2005, King Kong in 2005, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 in 2006, Transformers in 2007, and so on were all up there. On paper, it is tough to find a better film.

The brand 'superman'. Mega action, serious drama, serious romance, I assume some comedy. It's light and bright/not dark and gloomy. Zack Snyder is known for his money shots, and this is the mother of all actiones. It is Star Wars meets Spider-man. It appeals strongly to men and women, children and the elderly. Amy Adams is a popular actress, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, and Diane Lane very famous names. Henry Cavill's face - saying this straight - is the show stopping type of a Pattinson or younger Brad Pitt.

From an individual films perspective, I can't think of any for whome it would have been easier to give it the highly coveted "serious mass appeal". This should have the interested from the teenage and young adult crowd that the Nolan films had, while having the interest from the kids crowd which Raimi's Spider-mans had. This should have more interest in the romance crowd than any superhero film has ever had. This should have interest in older generations (for whome Superman was a more popular character) than any other super hero.

Theres no excuse for this opening below 100m. A full kick ass trailer with the NCAA championship can solidify MOS as the summers big break out movie (Trek and IM3 are more expected to be huge).
I like your thinking but have 2 questions and comments. What makes you think this will have the biggest superhero romance crowd? Plus,I doubt anything will happen for March Madness, except a possible TV spot.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #829
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I really would like to see something during The Final Four or the championship game....that would be a great time to start hardcore marketing

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #830
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Lois Lane is one of the most famous female love interest in pop culture history.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #831
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I really would like to see something during The Final Four or the championship game....that would be a great time to start hardcore marketing
I would start screaming once that silver WB logo appears.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #832
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
When I saw the DC logo before the teaser trailer in the theater I got chills...I loved it

Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #833
Dark_Lord
Dark Lord of the Sith

I'd like to think of myself as one of the more patient posters here, but I'm kinda starting to lose it ... and I probably will, if we don't get the new posters this week. I still think April will be when it all starts (with the posters being released this week...please ) and I believe they don't really need to go all out earlier than that.

But... as a Superman fan l'm so ridiculously excited for this movie and there's so much we don't know and I want to find out. We really do know very little about the movie and I'm kinda glad because I usually spoil myself, but I think they can still be secretive while showing us new and exciting stuff.

I hope they finally reveal all the villains with the character posters. As for the trailer. I want to hear Zimmer's theme, see some Krypton scenes with Jor-El, some dialogue between Zod and Superman (or any scene of Zod talking), parts of the fight scenes (Superman has to punch someone in the trailer), some Daily Planet stuff (Lois, Perry etc), the secret identity (maybe just the scene from the comic-con trailer) and some more info about the story in general.

So...yeah...seems like I listed the whole movie . This was just a small rant from a frustrated fan, waiting to get off work at 6:00 am.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #834
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohoo View Post
I think it's too early to speed up the marketing.

Personally, I don't care too much about MoS marketing before May. Certainly prefer it to be too little than too much.
You WHAT?!

Seriously though, I'm as excited for MOS as I was for TDKR, but this stuff needs to pick UP Wolverine has a trailer!

Wolverine.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #835
Torrente
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post

Man, I was eating a piece of bread with Nutella when I read this and spited it out everywhere from laughing...

Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #836
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

It still gives me chills. I might wait to see the next trailer in the theater instead of online, there's just something special about seeing it on the big screen

Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #837
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
It still gives me chills. I might wait to see the next trailer in the theater instead of online, there's just something special about seeing it on the big screen
I've got a big screen...

Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #838
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Henry Cavill's face - saying this straight - is the show stopping type of a Pattinson or younger Brad Pitt.
...Robert Pattinson? The concave faced glittery vampire? He's only showstopping in the sense that I stop watching whatever show or movie's he's in. Blech I never found him or Brad Pitt goodlooking. Henry is more handsome than both of them combined.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #839
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I've got a big screen...

Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #840
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
...Robert Pattinson? The concave faced glittery vampire? He's only showstopping in the sense that I stop watching whatever show or movie's he's in. Blech I never found him or Brad Pitt goodlooking. Henry is more handsome than both of them combined.
"The cover that sold twenty million tickets"

R.I.P. Heath
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #841
Simo
Side-Kick

Not sure if it's going to bear anything but Henry's planned visit for a supposed 2 day MOS promotional stop as reported by the Japanese press site and henrycavill.org kicks off tomor...err today.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #842
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
"The cover that sold twenty million tickets"
Naw it was Kristen Stewart and her 'fairest of them all' face that brought them in.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #843
titansupes
Side-Kick

I was intensely happy when the silver WB logo appeared, too. You know you're a fan when you instantly recognise which version of a particular studios logo represents your movie.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #844
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I can't wait to see that DC logo!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #845
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Synocopy for me.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #846
titansupes
Side-Kick

Any love for Legendary?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #847
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

Lol at Robert Pattinson. I seriously can't understand why some many girls/women find him so good looking. My wife thinks it's hilarious too. So glad she isn't a twilight fan!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #848
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Nope

Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #849
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Hi.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #850
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Coming into this thread lately to read nothing but "marketing failz" posts makes me feel like I've gone back in time 7 years ago and everyone turned in to lexlives.
Man. LexLives.

Closed Thread