Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #176
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
There was nothing plausible about how the Skyhook system was used in TDK. It's as silly as the train fight in The Wolverine is. Like I said, Batman and Lau would have been two contorted corpses by the time they were reeled back into that carrier.

While I will agree that visually it was presented in a more plausible fashion in TDK (for a layman) when it comes down to the actions themselves they're both completely impossible.
It is plausible because they have Morgan Freeman make it sound plausible. That is the thing here. Whether it can be done or not is irrelevant. What is important is convincing the audience that it is. You build equity through clever writing and good acting.

Nearly all of Batman's equipment and big feats are impossible. But there is also a bit of background and science to it that, that allows people to buy it. They also show some fallibility. Think back to all the times Fox explains a bit of history and science behind the equipment (including Skyhook). Gordon playing with the failed cowls. Bruce hurting himself and his equipment not necessarily doing its job during his first scene in TDK. They scrutinize the little things, so the audience will buy the big things. There was a trade off for the more mobile armor. Finally, they just make it look good and cool. It is easy to do insane stuff when it looks awesome. Just look at Skyfall.

That is why so many people went around calling Batman "realistic". Even while Bruce tackles people a few stories without breaking them in half.

Here, with The Wolverine, they are stacking on the cheese. Look at Logan's face when he makes the leap on the train and how not so great the CGI looks. Why is he hitting stuff and its blowing up? Why are people with guns running at other people without them so they can disarm them?

Kickass gave up a plausible badass 11 year old girl. They have trouble doing the same with a grown man.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 03-29-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #177
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Here, with The Wolverine, they are stacking on the cheese. Look at Logan's face when he makes the leap on the train
This I don't get. How do you expect his face to look when he struggles to stay on a bullet train?

Quote:
and how not so great the CGI looks.
One of the reasons I don't like it, but let's wait for the finished product before we pass final judgment.

Quote:
Why is he hitting stuff and its blowing up?
I admit, I didn't like that at all. Especially because the second before he cuts through whatever it is, looked really dodgy.

Quote:
Why are people with guns running at other people without them so they can disarm them?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #178
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I admit, I didn't like that at all. Especially because the second before he cuts through whatever it is, looked really dodgy.
It's a propane tank, on the back of a truck, I believe.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #179
Nathan

I wonder when the scene takes place. When he still has his proper healing factor? Afterwards? Seems like a crazy idea to blow up a tank if his healing factor is on the fritz, and if it's at full capacity, I'm disappointed that it won't be a proper display of his berserker rage. All those Ninjas against Wolverine? It should be a pile of corpses. Though how awesome would it be if he steps out of the fire, looking like Freddy Kruger, and continues to take them apart as they try to regroup?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #180
BMM
Side-Kick

I have no clue. He has a carefree cigar in his mouth while he does it, so I'm guessing either he has his full healing factor intact or he's at a point where he just doesn't give a ---- anymore.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #181
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
This I don't get. How do you expect his face to look when he struggles to stay on a bullet train?
Except he is suppose to be in kill mode when he makes the leap. He isn't struggling with holding on anymore, and just looks awkward.

Logan is suppose to have done a lot of crazy stuff in his life. Even though I find the scene itself foolish, I expect a bit more badass composure. Like Rambo.

Quote:
One of the reasons I don't like it, but let's wait for the finished product before we pass final judgment.
This argument was used for Origins as well.

Quote:
Horrible sequence. Arguably the worst in all 3 films in terms of both action and logic. Right up there with charging down men with guns. Though the Batman/Catwoman rooftop scene wasn't much better, at least it made sense that Bane probably didn't want Batman killed before he got there.

How does that make the stuff in this trailer better? Especially when you consider Batman is just hitting people. Yukio is disarming a man by putting a pole through his trigger guard.

She could have just cracked him in the arm and then in the head. It would be far more efficient and not nearly as over the top.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #182
Nathan

Honestly, all we have now are quick cuts, nothing more. Yukio disarming that one guy barely lasts two seconds. Not enough to properly judge whether it's better or worse than TDKR's fights. All we can say is that it's so incredible short and quick in the Trailer, that it's barely worth complaining about.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #183
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

So has anyone brought up any theories as to why Logan wouldn't still be with the X-Men at the start of the film? He looked pretty content with himself at the end of X3 since we're now taking that into canon.

I also wonder if the events of this film will have any bearings of how Logan is like going into DOFP. I still can't believe that we'll be getting two X Men films back to back.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #184
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Honestly, all we have now are quick cuts, nothing more. Yukio disarming that one guy barely lasts two seconds. Not enough to properly judge whether it's better or worse than TDKR's fights. All we can say is that it's so incredible short and quick in the Trailer, that it's barely worth complaining about.
To me it is simply a sign of their philosophy on combat in this film. Going for more over the top, stereotypical movie Martial Arts, then something more based on efficiency.

The one shot that I thought looked really good was Logan and the helmet-less Silver Samurai. The rest looks very stagey and overdone. Even when he blocks the Silver Samurai's (with his helmet on) initial blow looks weak.

I mean, Kick-Ass made a little girl look like Anderson Silva, even in the trailers. I don't think it is that much of a stretch to expect Logan to look like the capable warrior he is suppose to be. Logan should be and more brutal Bourne.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #185
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
He's making all kinds of gains. All kindzz.

Also I think I'll be the first to say that I actually really like the bullet train fight scene. Yeah, I said it.
I loved it too. Let's start a club.

I thought it was cool the first time I saw it. I watched it again after people started griping about it, with those complaints in mind. Still don't have a problem with it. Looks like fun. Bring it on.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #186
Joe Stubbs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do we know who the fight choreographer is?
The 8711 stunt team are working on the film and I think are doing the fight choreography. They've worked on the Expendables and Haywire.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #187
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Also I think I'll be the first to say that I actually really like the bullet train fight scene. Yeah, I said it.
Ahem! I complimented the sequence on the trailer thread good sir! I've always wanted to see an action sequence on a bullet train and it looks great IMO.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #188
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Ahem! I complimented the sequence on the trailer thread good sir! I've always wanted to see an action sequence on a bullet train and it looks great IMO.
Aha! Now Hunter is in our club too.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #189
Superhero 101
DESI

i'll let the train sequence slide since its a superhero film so you're bound to get some ridiculously action packed sequences and i wont make a final judgement until the movie releases

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #190
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

The train fight looks okay but reminds me of Skyfall's opening sequence and I didn't really like the part where Wolverine lunges with that grimace and outstretched claws.

These sorts of films always try to come up with something no one has seen before. However, we have seen fights on top of trains before, although not in the X-Men series.

This film better be very good. Otherwise it will damage the franchise and have a negative impact on X-Men: Days of Future Past if that has to struggle past the bad reviews or bad box office of The Wolverine. Especially since Jackman is also in DoFP. So if he doesn't hit the spot in this, people will be wary about him in DoFP.

Seriously, they need to stop these spinoffs (though I will admit that they should get that Deadpool film done) and move forward with team movies. How much more is there that can be done with Wolverine? We know all about him and yet know little about any of the other X-Men.

Wolverine works better as part of an X-Men ensemble.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #191
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
These sorts of films always try to come up with something no one has seen before. However, we have seen fights on top of trains before, although not in the X-Men series.
This'll be slightly different though. They are not exactly standing and exchanging blows. They are on a bullet train, they can barely stay on top the train and fighting is difficult, yet the guy is still not giving up and tries his best to gut Logan.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #192
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Aha! Now Hunter is in our club too.
Team BTS!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #193
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I don't get the Yukio disarming someone hate. At worst I would say the sequence just needs a better edit, but the way some people are complaining about it you'd think they honestly expected The Wolverine to be The Dark Knight. That was clearly never going to happen. It's a cool sequence and that's all it needs to be for me to enjoy it. I would put good money (if I had any lol) that few people in the cinema will be complaining about it.

I also don't get the hate for the train sequence either. I would have thought some more over the top sequences would be welcomed in an X-men move. Also, I'm not sure how even Wolverine is supposed to compose himself to be as badass when he's trying to hurl himself in up to 300mph winds.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #194
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

So now we're complaining about fancy maneuvers in martial arts fights?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #195
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I have to admit, that Batman gif is pretty damn funny. The guy on the far left that isn't getting beaten up by Batman looks so confused.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #196
JP
Smelly

Like Singer, Nolan is better and shooting grand scenes of spectacle rather than intimate fight sequences. Haha.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #197
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Like Singer, Nolan is better and shooting grand scenes of spectacle rather than intimate fight sequences. Haha.
actually i thought Singer was opposite... The Intimate fight scenes between Mystique/wolverine, Wolverine/Deathstrike, Wolverine/Sabretooth were well done for the most part.

and ones where while there might be more than one opponent, but focused only on one character (Nightcrawler/secret service, Wolverine/stryker's men)

what really sucked was Storm/Jean/Cyclops vs Toad, and "everyone vs magneto on the statue of liberty"....

I think Singer handles 1 on 1/many better than a group fight. that's one thing Last Stand actually did well at.. they need to take a card from Avengers

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #198
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I also don't get the hate for the train sequence either. I would have thought some more over the top sequences would be welcomed in an X-men move. Also, I'm not sure how even Wolverine is supposed to compose himself to be as badass when he's trying to hurl himself in up to 300mph winds.
I think, for me, the issues with that train sequence are the slightly imperfect CGI, Wolverine's tendency to keep roaring all the time, and the questionable physics of being able to leap in the opposite direction to a train travelling at that speed.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #199
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:
I think, for me, the issues with that train sequence are the slightly imperfect CGI, Wolverine's tendency to keep roaring all the time, and the questionable physics of being able to leap in the opposite direction to a train travelling at that speed.

I thought he was using the natural force of the air trying to push him back to achieve lift and fly towards his opponent. I don't think he's trying to go against the wind.

My question is why is that bullet train going full speed in the middle of a city? You can clearly see a city scape as they're passing. Unless they're doing a Doc Ock/Ra's Al Ghul thing where the train is out of control then it makes no sense. And if they are doing that well....HEY IT'S BEEN DONE BEFORE.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #200
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
and the questionable physics of being able to leap in the opposite direction to a train travelling at that speed.
He's letting the wind carry him towards the back of the train

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Closed Thread