The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: In your opinion, which saga was better?
Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 40 26.14%
Christopher Nolan's Batman 113 73.86%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #251
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Lets just make this clear:

The Dark Knight
Spiderman 2

These are by FAR the greatest achievements in film for comic book heroes. For that, both of these series will be remembered.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #252
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

I wouldn't pick either of them up even if they were in the $.99 cent bin.

Greatest achievements? Hogwash.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #253
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I wouldn't pick either of them up even if they were in the $.99 cent bin.

Greatest achievements? Hogwash.
They are for me.

What are your favourite superhero top 2?

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #254
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Well for a good 30 years it was Supes1 and The Rocketeer. But in recent years it's been Iron Man1 and The Avengers.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #255
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Lets just make this clear:

The Dark Knight
Spiderman 2

These are by FAR the greatest achievements in film for comic book heroes. For that, both of these series will be remembered.
Hear hear

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #256
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Well for a good 30 years it was Supes1 and The Rocketeer. But in recent years it's been Iron Man1 and The Avengers.
LOVE Rocketeer
Supes 1 loses points for me because of the Deux ex Machina.
IM loses points for me because I thought the 3rd act was pretty rubbish if I'm honest.
Love Avengers but that was more because of wish fulfilment. What I will say though is a literally got goose bumps for the Hulk vs Thor fight. I've felt sad, angry and excited but I don't think I've ever got goose bumps before. Got to be because I was finally seeing what I've been waiting for since I was little up on the big screen.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #257
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I never understood the issue with the end fight in IM1. I absolutely love it and it's still one of my favorite superhero fights ever, if not my favorite. Bridges's Stane is still my #1 comic book supervillain yet put to screen.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #258
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
I never understood the issue with the end fight in IM1. I absolutely love it and it's still one of my favorite superhero fights ever, if not my favorite. Bridges's Stane is still my #1 comic book supervillain yet put to screen.
Same here about the final fight in IM1. Great movie. And great villain too.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #259
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Not just the fight, the whole of the 3rd act. The movie is builds towards the 10 rings guy being the main bad (well, it was for me) and then he is dispatched in a scene, and then Bridges loses him mind and then you have this mindless battle that completely does away with the elegance and tightness of the first 2 acts, like the scriptwriters were only paid to write for a movie that lasts an hour and the rest of the movie is penned by the coffee boy.

The movie gives me so much in act 1 and 2 that I give the 3rd act a pass. If the 3rd act were stronger it would probably be my favourite comic book movie but TDK and SM2 (imho) have better 3rd acts so they get the nod from me.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #260
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Not just the fight, the whole of the 3rd act. The movie is builds towards the 10 rings guy being the main bad (well, it was for me) and then he is dispatched in a scene, and then Bridges loses him mind and then you have this mindless battle that completely does away with the elegance and tightness of the first 2 acts, like the scriptwriters were only paid to write for a movie that lasts an hour and the rest of the movie is penned by the coffee boy.

The movie gives me so much in act 1 and 2 that I give the 3rd act a pass. If the 3rd act were stronger it would probably be my favourite comic book movie but TDK and SM2 (imho) have better 3rd acts so they get the nod from me.
You do realize that it was intentional misdirection. You're supposed to think that Raza is going to somehow be our supervillain and then it changes and Stane was the guy behind it all. And I don't see how you think he went crazy. Pepper says it but that doesn't mean it's true. He's not crazy. He's just found out and has no other real option than to get away using the Iron Monger armor as his get away vehicle. But then Iron Man shows up and now he has to fight. He's also getting some satisfaction out of it in the process since he basically hates Tony and has always secretly hated him. The end fight is where he gets to finally drop all pretense and be who he really is. There are some wonky bits in it(like him roaring in the armor) but hardly anything that doesn't make sense when you sit down to think about it.

The end fight(or do you mean the train fight) in SM2 on the other hand makes little sense. Ock is supposed o bring Spidey in alive. That has got to be one of the most convoluted was to achieve that goal which I have ever seen. It's like Ock thought to himself I'll just really try to kill him and hopefully I'll be lucky enough not to succeed yet he'll be so tuckered out that I'll be able to capture him like I'm supposed to". Quite weak.

And the end fight in TDK was over in like 1 minute once Batman finally got to the Joker. To say nothing of the cops on a role gag being one of the most unbelievable action sequences in recent years. Good thing those things the cops are carrying aren't actually guns but rather big complicated flashlights. And good that they were so charitable to co-operate with Batman's plan to string them up and get them out of the way.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #261
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
You do realize that it was intentional misdirection. You're supposed to think that Raza is going to somehow be our supervillain and then it changes and Stane was the guy behind it all.
I can't stand misdirect, I hated it in BB and TDKR and I can't put into words how much I hated it in IM3. I'm very simple in that I want things as presented. In all my movie watching there are only 3 misdirects I like; Usual Suspects, 6th Sense and Fight Club other than that I can't friggen stand them.

Quote:

The end fight(or do you mean the train fight) in SM2 on the other hand makes little sense. Ock is supposed o bring Spidey in alive. That has got to be one of the most convoluted was to achieve that goal which I have ever seen. It's like Ock thought to himself I'll just really try to kill him and hopefully I'll be lucky enough not to succeed yet he'll be so tuckered out that I'll be able to capture him like I'm supposed to". Quite weak.
I didn't say the 3rd act was great, just that I preferred to IM. And for me more things are paid off at the end of SM2 where in IM they felt a cheat.

Quote:
And the end fight in TDK was over in like 1 minute once Batman finally got to the Joker. To say nothing of the cops on a role gag being one of the most unbelievable action sequences in recent years. Good thing those things the cops are carrying aren't actually guns but rather big complicated flashlights. And good that they were so charitable to co-operate with Batman's plan to string them up and get them out of the way.
Again, I'm not saying I like the 3rd act of TDK because if I'm honest I absolutely don't but again, more hangs together than IM.

My scores for the 3 acts of IM, SM2 TDK

Act 1 - Introduction
TDK 10/10
SM2 8/10 (starts quite slowly)
IM 10/10

Act 2 - confrontation (or in the case of IM construction)
TDK 10/10
SM2 9/10
IM 10/10

Act 3 - Climax
TDK 7/10 (really didn't like it)
SM2 9/10 (for me everything comes together wonderfully)
IM - 5/10

TDK 27/30
SM2 26/30
IM 25/30

Last edited by spider-neil; 06-22-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #262
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I hated it in IM3 because it switched something that seemed cool for that which was less so. I liked it in BB and IM1 because there it felt like we were trading up for even better. Granted, I being a 30+ year Iron Man fan always knew Stane was a bad guy. But I'm not into Batman or DC at all so Neeson coming back was awesome. And TDKR had frankly bored me nearly to sleep so when it came I just didn't care one way or the other.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #263
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I hated it in IM3 because it switched something that seemed cool for that which was less so. I liked it in BB and IM1 because there it felt like we were trading up for even better. Granted, I being a 30+ year Iron Man fan always knew Stane was a bad guy. But I'm not into Batman or DC at all so Neeson coming back was awesome. And TDKR had frankly bored me nearly to sleep so when it came I just didn't care one way or the other.
Neesen coming back in act 3 works thematically but I hated that it was as Ras'.
Added nothing for me.

Talia 'reveal' was eye rolling.

Mandarin reveal was ****ing joke

All this trying desperately to be clever just makes them look stupid and Mr. Nolan, the 'twist' in Inception was stupid as well.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #264
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I don't remember a twist in Inception.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #265
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I don't remember a twist in Inception.
Okay, wasn't exactly a twist but Nolan refused to give the movie a definitive close.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #266
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Ah, yeah I can see how that would annoy people. I take the whole movie as an extended Twilight zone episode so it didn't bother me.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #267
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Ah, yeah I can see how that would annoy people. I take the whole movie as an extended Twilight zone episode so it didn't bother me.
I knew it was coming and it still annoyed me.

My favourite 3rd act in a superhero movie is Spider-Man. Brilliant climatic fight, brilliant closing score and the graveyard scene with 'My gift, my curse...' and then the final swing. THAT is how you close a movie, unfortunately I thought the first 2 acts were boring

Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #268
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

The first act in SM1 is the only part of that film I actually like. The rest as soon as GG shows up(along with Macy Gray) I just can't get into. That GG suit is so utterly ridiculous and I've already said how I hate cackling villains.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #269
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
The first act in SM1 is the only part of that film I actually like. The rest as soon as GG shows up(along with Macy Gray) I just can't get into. That GG suit is so utterly ridiculous and I've already said how I hate cackling villains.
Can certainly understand this point of view. I thought SM1 was good and no more whereas SM2 blew me away (5 times in the cinema). Just like I thought BB was 'meh' but was blown away by TDK (3 times in the cinema).

Old 06-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #270
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Love me some Rocketeer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Neesen coming back in act 3 works thematically but I hated that it was as Ras'.
Added nothing for me.

Talia 'reveal' was eye rolling.

Mandarin reveal was ****ing joke

All this trying desperately to be clever just makes them look stupid and Mr. Nolan, the 'twist' in Inception was stupid as well.
You hated Neeson returning as Ra's al Ghul? How come? It added this "mystical" element in the Pit as a nod to the Lazarus Pit with showing Ra's talking to Bruce(and bringing up there are other ways of immortality).

And I wouldn't say the Talia reveal was eye rolling...just predictable. I mean, I know it was Khan as well in Star Trek Into Darkness, but they never ruin the film for me. Iron Man 3 on the other hand...that was just pure garbage. IM3 might as well be a funny parody like film like Batman & Robin with a twist so bad. Well, in some parts it actually was when Shane Black focused too much on humor

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #271
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Batman trilogy for me. Will always enjoy the first two Spiderman films but the third left me cold. Nolans trilogy had an arc which played out better than most trilogies no matter what the genre.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #272
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
They had the perfect actor for Green goblin. And not only did they put a plastic mask all over his face but they also didn't give te villain any worthy purpose after he kills all of Norman's enemies, which happened really soon.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #273
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
They had the perfect actor for Green goblin. And not only did they put a plastic mask all over his face but they also didn't give te villain any worthy purpose after he kills all of Norman's enemies, which happened really soon.

I agree and I agree with Weird Al in that he's scarier w/o the mask on. I think he was wasted in the role.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #274
Steamteck
Side-Kick

The 2nd two batman movies just had too many problems for me so for me personally it a good movie and a great one ( SM1 and against one great one( Batman begins) so Spider- Man wins for me.

health Ledger did a great psychopath but I did not care for his rendition of the Joker. who also relied to much on plot induced stupidity, blindness and good guy incompetence for me to appreciate his "cleverness".

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #275
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

If Hellboy makes a good 3rd movie then Hellboy for me will be the best superhero trilogy.
I enjoyed the heck out of the first two movies so a great third movie will give me something I've never had before, 3 great movie experiences with a superhero franchise.

Batman
BB - 'meh' (for me)
TDK - brilliant
TDKR - good

Spider-Man
Spider-Man - 'meh'
SM2 - brilliant
SM3 - bitter disappointment

Hellboy
Hellboy - Excellent
Hellboy 2 - Excellent
Hellboy 3 - ??