The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: In your opinion, which saga was better?
Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 40 26.14%
Christopher Nolan's Batman 113 73.86%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #176
batfreakforever
A real fan

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

I can maybe see why Directors who make comic book films make changes to characters. Maybe it's just because there are so many options/versions of a character with the way they are wriiten and drawn in the comics. Maybe thats why I'm not so fazed when changes are made as long as I am entertained and it's a good movie.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #177
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
We only see him appear to Selina Kyle 24 hours(or less) before the bomb explodes, but that doesn't exactly mean he just shows up in Gotham 24 hours(or less) before the bomb explodes.

Setting the symbol on the bridge, figuring out where Lucius Fox is at, hell even shave...so much Bruce could have done once he made it to Gotham before even meeting up with Selina. Widely assuming the very first thing he does is meet her and that it's a coincidence that the bomb goes off the next day.
It was sloppy writing. And it certainly was coincidence that Gordon just happened to shield the detonator right before Talia pushes the button. With 1 second left (yeah that's not cliché)

Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #178
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
It was sloppy writing.
That's fair enough, but it's not a coincidence.

I enjoy the dramatic effect myself.

Quote:
And it certainly was coincidence that Gordon just happened to shield the detonator right before Talia pushes the button. With 1 second left (yeah that's not cliché)
1 second left before Talia pushes the button? Maybe. I don't see it as a coincidence. If anything, you could even toss up TDK when the prisoners and the civilians decided to not push the trigger as well as coincidence.

They happen all the time if you really want to get down to the technicalities, but nothing is as worse as everything happening in one night ala Spider-Man 3(the symbiote landing, Flint Marko becoming Sandman, Harry finally donning the 'New Goblin' armor and attacking Peter).

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #179
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, I'm aware(as Nolan even had the idea of not giving Batman a cape, lol), but Nolan at least wanted to direct Batman. Raimi didn't want to use the symbiote/Venom and was forced to do such. That would be if Warner Brothers succeeded in wanting Nolan to use Riddler when Nolan always viewed Riddler as a cheap knock off to Joker and most likely wouldn't have done him any justice as someone who is a fan of Riddler would.
Excuse me?

I have a friend who dislikes TDKR a lot more than I do. His theory is that the only reason why BB and TDK were good and stayed true to the essence of Batman was because Jonathan Nolan and Goyer were there to hold Nolan's hand and to keep him in line so that he doesn't take radical deviations, and that Nolan was given a lot more freedom by WB to do whatever he pleases with TDKR due to the success of TDK. I don't know whether or not that is true but whenever I find out things such as the information you just shared, I begin to reflect on how much truth there is to that. The thing he said about the Riddler also adds to that if it is true (though I personally never saw him say that).

Quote:
Indeed. I think that's what I am most pleased about with The Dark Knight Trilogy as the villains were never forced by the studio. Even if Jonathan wanted Catwoman or Goyer wanted Bane for TDKR, at least they are the writers who helped with the films and that's why it was well done, imo.
Personally, I don't think Nolan would have intentionally done a poor job with any villain if he was ever forced to use someone he didn't want. He doesn't seem like that kind of director to me based on the interviews I've seen of him. Nolan is arguably one of the classiest big-name directors in Hollywood today, even coming out and saying that he understands and was completely fine with some fans not liking the ending (as opposed to someone like Shane Black, who openly mocked the fans that were dissapointed with the Mandarin).

Also, there has been a rumor going around for years now that WB forced Nolan to use Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins (or at least just Scarecrow). I don't know whether or not that is true.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #180
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Excuse me?
Oh yes. Aside from Christopher Nolan not wanting Scarecrow to have a mask in BB, he also didn't want his Batman to even wear a cape, both of which Goyer talked Nolan out of doing. Goyer was useful in some aspects, and that includes getting Nolan to understand that certain elements needed to stay in place such as Scarecrow's mask or Batman's cape.

Quote:
I have a friend who dislikes TDKR a lot more than I do. His theory is that the only reason why BB and TDK were good and stayed true to the essence of Batman was because Jonathan Nolan and Goyer were there to hold Nolan's hand and to keep him in line so that he doesn't take radical deviations, and that Nolan was given a lot more freedom by WB to do whatever he pleases with TDKR due to the success of TDK. I don't know whether or not that is true but whenever I find out things such as the information you just shared, I begin to reflect on how much truth there is to that. The thing he said about the Riddler also adds to that if it is true (though I personally never saw him say that).
Except that an ending was thought of by both Chris and Goyer, and that Goyer and Jonathan still helped out with TDKR. I find your friend's theory a bit baffling when all three worked on TDKR. Even Goyer himself said he loved TDKR's ending. More freedom or what have you, all three were behind TDKR and all three liked what the final product came out to be.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think Nolan would have intentionally done a poor job with any villain if he was ever forced to use someone he didn't want. He doesn't seem like that kind of director to me based on the interviews I've seen of him. Nolan is arguably one of the classiest big-name directors in Hollywood today, even coming out and saying that he understands and was completely fine with some fans not liking the ending (as opposed to someone like Shane Black, who openly mocked the fans that were dissapointed with the Mandarin).
I just think if Nolan were to call Riddler a Joker knock off, and he did, it would be interesting what Nolan would have ended up doing IF Warner Brothers forced Riddler into the third installment.

Quote:
Also, there has been a rumor going around for years now that WB forced Nolan to use Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins (or at least just Scarecrow). I don't know whether or not that is true.
Well what I do know is that at the VERY early stages, Batman Begins was just thought of "Batman 5" while they were just working on a story, and I could guess that overlapping ideas of using Scarecrow from back in Triumphant and DarKnight(since Scarecrow was thought of for both of those proposed films) could be brought up into the reboot.

I don't necessarily think it was WB "forcing" a villain to be used, but just wanting to use the villain that was talked about for the past two films before BB that were never made. If I were a betting man, I'd say that kinda goes along with why Lizard was in The Amazing Spider-Man because he never appeared in Raimi's trilogy even after try and try of using the villain.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #181
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh yes. Aside from Christopher Nolan not wanting Scarecrow to have a mask in BB, he also didn't want his Batman to even wear a cape, both of which Goyer talked Nolan out of doing. Goyer was useful in some aspects, and that includes getting Nolan to understand that certain elements needed to stay in place such as Scarecrow's mask or Batman's cape.

Except that an ending was thought of by both Chris and Goyer, and that Goyer and Jonathan still helped out with TDKR. I find your friend's theory a bit baffling when all three worked on TDKR. Even Goyer himself said he loved TDKR's ending. More freedom or what have you, all three were behind TDKR and all three liked what the final product came out to be.
Do you have any link that I could see? I find it kinda shocking. Even SCHUMACHER knew the importance of the cape.

I sometimes wonder if the things I love about BB and TDK are only there in my Batfan perception. If what you said is true, I don't know if I would go as far as to say that it confirms my friend's theory but it does bring me a lot closer to that conclusion than before. Yes, Jonathan and Goyer still worked on TDKR but if you think about it, the things that the fans often consider to be the best parts about the film (regardless of how they feel about the film overall) were things that were there because of Jonathan and Goyer - the inclusion of Catwoman, Bane, the idea of basing the film on stories like Knightfall, No Man's Land, The Dark Knight Returns, etc. So there may be a lot of truth to that theory. Nolan is a great director and great storyteller but maybe he needs someone there to guide him or to keep him in line when doing an adaptation. Don't hate on me - just a theory.

Quote:
I just think if Nolan were to call Riddler a Joker knock off, and he did, it would be interesting what Nolan would have ended up doing IF Warner Brothers forced Riddler into the third installment.
That's true. Ironically, I think we may have gotten a good Riddler because Nolan would try his best to not make him a Joker knockoff and since he isn't one in the comics, it would all work well. Basically, Nolan would make an accurate Riddler by trying to deviate from who he thinks the Riddler is in the comics with the result being a Riddler like the comics.

Quote:
Well what I do know is that at the VERY early stages, Batman Begins was just thought of "Batman 5" while they were just working on a story, and I could guess that overlapping ideas of using Scarecrow from back in Triumphant and DarKnight(since Scarecrow was thought of for both of those proposed films) could be brought up into the reboot.

I don't necessarily think it was WB "forcing" a villain to be used, but just wanting to use the villain that was talked about for the past two films before BB that were never made. If I were a betting man, I'd say that kinda goes along with why Lizard was in The Amazing Spider-Man because he never appeared in Raimi's trilogy even after try and try of using the villain.
I couldn't agree more on the Lizard. Although he didn't feel forced into the movie, I'd be willing to bet as well that the main reason for why they went with him was because of all the fans that wanted to see him in Spider-Man 4. To this day, I still think the Lizard wasn't the best choice for the film because 1) I prefer getting to know Connors first over multiple films before turning him into the Lizard and 2) We had nothing but sympathetic villains since the very first Spider-Man. Even after seeing the film, I would have still went with Electro as the villain from the start and I even think he would've worked better with Peter's character arc in the movie.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #182
CK17
I am the one who knocks

Nolan's trilogy and it's not even close.

Individually I'd go,

TDK
TDKR

SM2
BB
SM1

SM3

CK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #183
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Do you have any link that I could see? I find it kinda shocking. Even SCHUMACHER knew the importance of the cape.
It's something I heard a long, long time ago, but I haven't been able to show any hard proof(because maybe, just maybe, people don't want to give Goyer any credibility, lol), but yah, I heard that as soon as Nolan jumped on board with Batman Begins, he didn't want to use the cape.

One day I may finally find a strand of where it's mentioned that Nolan didn't want the cape, but perhaps something like that won't ever be found because it kinda puts a bad taste in the mouth of viewing Nolan as the director who reinvented Batman but at one time didn't want one of the most important elements on the hero.

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if the things I love about BB and TDK are only there in my Batfan perception. If what you said is true, I don't know if I would go as far as to say that it confirms my friend's theory but it does bring me a lot closer to that conclusion than before. Yes, Jonathan and Goyer still worked on TDKR but if you think about it, the things that the fans often consider to be the best parts about the film (regardless of how they feel about the film overall) were things that were there because of Jonathan and Goyer - the inclusion of Catwoman, Bane, the idea of basing the film on stories like Knightfall, No Man's Land, The Dark Knight Returns, etc. So there may be a lot of truth to that theory. Nolan is a great director and great storyteller but maybe he needs someone there to guide him or to keep him in line when doing an adaptation. Don't hate on me - just a theory.
Except that The Dark Knight Returns is a major player in all three films.

Okay theory I suppose if you're on the side of just not liking TDKRises at all, but I'm a firm believer that Nolan knew his ins and outs with his version of the character by the time they got to a third film, and he made a film that, to me, is so much better than the first two of the trilogy. Yes, Jonathan may have brought in Catwoman and Goyer may have wanted to use Bane while it's only known that Chris was wanting to just use Talia(but who really knows...Chris could have still had an idea on giving Batman a physical threat and that obviously wasn't going to be Talia), BUT...Chris did understand Bruce Wayne and helped create a three-story arc for the guy. That's the biggest accomplishment even if Chris didn't want his Batman to wear a cape

Quote:
That's true. Ironically, I think we may have gotten a good Riddler because Nolan would try his best to not make him a Joker knockoff and since he isn't one in the comics, it would all work well. Basically, Nolan would make an accurate Riddler by trying to deviate from who he thinks the Riddler is in the comics with the result being a Riddler like the comics.
I don't think Nolan could have, really, if he only viewed Riddler as some cheap knock off. There could be a chance that Nolan was aware of Riddler from the comics and could have still viewed him that way and then Joker's actions in TDK felt very Arkham City Riddler with putting people's lives at stake too.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more on the Lizard. Although he didn't feel forced into the movie, I'd be willing to bet as well that the main reason for why they went with him was because of all the fans that wanted to see him in Spider-Man 4. To this day, I still think the Lizard wasn't the best choice for the film because 1) I prefer getting to know Connors first over multiple films before turning him into the Lizard and 2) We had nothing but sympathetic villains since the very first Spider-Man. Even after seeing the film, I would have still went with Electro as the villain from the start and I even think he would've worked better with Peter's character arc in the movie.
Agree with all of what you just said

I honestly would love to see Otto Octavius as the villain for an origin film because not only is he a parallel to Peter Parker, but he doesn't have that much baggage of development that you have with something like Connors that Webb never even tried to pursue.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #184
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Yeah, same as Samm Hamm before, Nolan didn't want the cape because it was impractical. And Nolan didn't want the Scarecrow mask either. I read that back in the day.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #185
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Ahh good

It's helpful when another poster backs you up. I believe 100% that Warner Brothers took down any notion of Nolan not wanting his Batman to have a cape because it could probably take away some of Nolan's credibility, lol.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #186
batfreakforever
A real fan

As a life long Bat-fan I always wanted a complete Bat-trilogy.Team Nolan brought that wish to life. For that alone it's Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy all the way.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #187
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

I gotta go with Raimi and his Spider-Man movies. The Dark Knight trilogy is just too flawed from Begins to Rises, I'll even take Spider-Man 3 over Rises.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #188
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Both trilogies were about the same,

First movie, very good
Second movie, excellent
Third movie, huge steaming pile of feces

But I think the edge has to go to Spider-Man. As great as the Batman movies are made out to be, they just had too many plot holes, too many flaws and the laughable "Worst Death in a Movie" by Talia. I mean seriously was that one of the last scenes shot in the movie and did Nolan just not give a **** at that moment. That was horrible, especially coming from an Oscar winning actress.

But despite all of that, which could be overlooked, the thing that irks me about the Batman movies is that he was Batman for only a year and a few months, at most. The trilogy spanned 16-17 years and it was all about bringing justice to Gotham, and he's only Batman for a short time? Really?

edit here are my answers to the OP

Which saga did you enjoy more? Which Director do you think was more effective for you?

About the same, my answer is at the top of this post.
Raimi, he atleast wanted to make a comic book movie and not a crime caper starring a masked vigilante with some made up characters and villains that stray too far from the source material.

Who had the superior leading man, and which villains gripped you more?

Bale, easy.
Spider-Man had two great memorable villains (Goblin, Doc Ock), Batman, one (Joker)

Did you dislike Mary Jane less than Rachel, more than Rachel, or did you want both characters to leap off of a cliff?

I disliked both of them, even Maggie Gyllenhall's(sp) Rachel wasn't much of an improvement. Talia had the worst death in movie history, and Anne Hathaway/Catwoman was about the only good thing in the third movie. Same with Bryce Dallas Howard/Gwen.

So yeah, I'm giving the slightest edge to Spidey.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return

Last edited by Iron_Stark; 06-10-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #189
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
You really need to watch more movies if you think that. I shudder to think what you would call Catwoman.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #190
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK17 View Post
Nolan's trilogy and it's not even close.

Individually I'd go,

TDK
TDKR

SM2
BB
SM1

SM3
I think the Nolan trilogy takes it but it's closer than you have it.
For me;

TDK 10/10
SM2 9.5/10
SM1 8.5/10
TDKR 8/10
BB 7.5/10 (movie was just 'meh' for me)

SM3 - A very disappointing (if entertaining) movie

I haven't been on RT to get the scores but I would be very surprised if the order I've listed the movies was different to RT order.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #191
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Both trilogies were about the same,

First movie, very good
Second movie, excellent

But I think the edge has to go to Spider-Man. As great as the Batman movies are made out to be, they just had too many plot holes, too many flaws and the laughable "Worst Death in a Movie" by Talia. I mean seriously was that one of the last scenes shot in the movie and did Nolan just not give a **** at that moment. That was horrible, especially coming from an Oscar winning actress.

But despite all of that, which could be overlooked, the thing that irks me about the Batman movies is that he was Batman for only a year and a few months, at most. The trilogy spanned 16-17 years and it was all about bringing justice to Gotham, and he's only Batman for a short time? Really?

edit here are my answers to the OP

Which saga did you enjoy more? Which Director do you think was more effective for you?

About the same, my answer is at the top of this post.
Raimi, he atleast wanted to make a comic book movie and not a crime caper starring a masked vigilante with some made up characters and villains that stray too far from the source material.

Who had the superior leading man, and which villains gripped you more?

Bale, easy.
Spider-Man had two great memorable villains (Goblin, Doc Ock), Batman, one (Joker)

Did you dislike Mary Jane less than Rachel, more than Rachel, or did you want both characters to leap off of a cliff?

I disliked both of them, even Maggie Gyllenhall's(sp) Rachel wasn't much of an improvement. Talia had the worst death in movie history, and Anne Hathaway/Catwoman was about the only good thing in the third movie. Same with Bryce Dallas Howard/Gwen.

So yeah, I'm giving the slightest edge to Spidey.
Your observations closely mirror my own. Especially the comments about Mary Jane and Rachel. I never envisioned that I would dislike Mary Jane, but that's what Kristen Dunst did to that character.

In some ways I have a soft spot for Katie Holmes. It was her first big break in the movies, and it wasn't her fault that every talk show she went on, they only wanted to talk about the Tom Cruise stuff. She got in a bad relationship and it pretty much killed her acting career. She may not be a great actress, but I think she's a decent person who hooked up with a control freak who nearly destroyed her life, and she had the strength and courage to walk out. I'm not going to defend her performance in BB, it wasn't good, but I admire her as a person.

I just find Dunst totally annoying as a human being as well as an actress. Gyllenhall is completely over rated as an actress. She only got notice because she was in a sex flick with James Spader. She was easily the worst part of TDK, and what was even worse than that, was I didn't feel one bit of emotion when her character dies. Isn't that supposed to be the climax of the film, the ultimate shocking moment? The turning point for Harvey Dent? I felt absolutely nothing. Probably not the effect they were going for in an otherwise excellent movie.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #192
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Your observations closely mirror my own. Especially the comments about Mary Jane and Rachel. I never envisioned that I would dislike Mary Jane, but that's what Kristen Dunst did to that character.

In some ways I have a soft spot for Katie Holmes. It was her first big break in the movies, and it wasn't her fault that every talk show she went on, they only wanted to talk about the Tom Cruise stuff. She got in a bad relationship and it pretty much killed her acting career. She may not be a great actress, but I think she's a decent person who hooked up with a control freak who nearly destroyed her life, and she had the strength and courage to walk out. I'm not going to defend her performance in BB, it wasn't good, but I admire her as a person.

I just find Dunst totally annoying as a human being as well as an actress. Gyllenhall is completely over rated as an actress. She only got notice because she was in a sex flick with James Spader. She was easily the worst part of TDK, and what was even worse than that, was I didn't feel one bit of emotion when her character dies. Isn't that supposed to be the climax of the film, the ultimate shocking moment? The turning point for Harvey Dent? I felt absolutely nothing. Probably not the effect they were going for in an otherwise excellent movie.
About Katie Holmes, I know she was asked a lot about Tom cruise and stuff. But what does that have to do with her acting bad?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #193
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:

Yeah when Rachel got blown to bits, I immediately thought, "cool, now they can bring Catwoman in the third one"

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #194
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^ Everyone probably thought or wanted that.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #195
Slushy
The Man

Spider-Man and Batman Begins were good.

Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight were great.

And coincidentally, Spider-Man 3 and Rises were disappointing.

However, 3 is worse by default just because of how Venom got shafted.

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #196
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushy View Post

However, 3 is worse by default just because of how Venom got shafted.
Venom would be so much better for Web's darker more realistic universe.
Arad should have left Sam to get on with his silver age villains who he gets rather than force Venom on him in a universe where Venom just doesn't fit.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #197
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I can't help myself, I adore all three Spider-Man movies, minus Venom 3 actually has become very enjoyable to me. I enjoy Nolan's trilogy but I don't care for the dark realistic grounded tone to the world of Gotham, I want the likes of Ras al Ghul and his Lazarus Pit giving him "immortality", Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, and Poison Ivy.

I voted for the Spider-Man trilogy. It's great that both characters got a trilogy under a single director. I just enjoy the story of one over the other.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #198
conan69
Cimmerian

Nolans trilogy although IMHO both had stinkers for the third film.

Batman Begins over Spiderman

The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 are VERY close.

The Dark Knight Rises is just as stupid as Spiderman 3. Yes, this is true. I might not have Bruce Wayne dancing down the streets of Gotham, but it has other plot dumbness thats almost as bad.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #199
DACrowe
Side-Kick

If I had to rank them it would go

1. The Dark Knight: 10/10
2. The Dark Knight Rises: 9/10
3. Spider-Man 2: 9/10
4. Batman Begins: 9/10
5. Spider-Man (2002): 8/10
6. Spider-Man 3: 6.5/10

7. The Amazing Spider-Man: 6/10

I could not resist.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #200
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Better overall trilogy goes to Batman.

The two standout films are TDK and SM2.

SM3 sucked the life out of anything Spiderman had going for it.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote