3 1 0.98%
2 2 1.96%
1 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Airnick
RTTS

Default TMNT: User Review Thread.

Since the movie will be coming out soon, I figured we should have this thread. So post your reaction/review here.

~*SHH SIX~*
Co-Leader
Airnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Default Re: TMNT: User Review Thread.

You should add a poll too man.

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Airnick
RTTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
You should add a poll too man.
Damn! I forgot about that.

Edit: just added it.

~*SHH SIX~*
Co-Leader
Airnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
tzarinna
С новым годом!

I just got back from a screening tonight.

The reaction from the crowd was very good. It thought it was pretty good, and I went in not expecting much. The second act got a little dark and I almost regretted bring my 3 year old. But it quickly moved on to lighter and brighter territory. My only complaint is the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Transformer like score and sound effects.
It really took me out of the film at times. The Turtles are just adorable and I loved their personalities and cute little quips. M. Fox was just okay for me, never been a fan, but not a hater either. Shredder just reminded me of Megatron but I still thought he was bad ass. I didn't like the look of Splinter. I thought he would grow on me like the Turtles did.

Side note- Whoopie Goldberg, I could have done with out her and that horrid wig/weave. Also, the storyline is a bit eerie due to some things currently going on.

Last edited by tzarinna; 08-07-2014 at 12:11 AM.
tzarinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #5
Axelrod
Side-Kick

Saw the movie last night. Was very solid with a lot of promise. If your a longtime turtles fan like myself and worried about certain things not kept canon, you can put those doubts to rest. The movie could've been fleshed out a tad bit more but overall, it's very satisfying. The shining achievement of the movie is that they kept the turtles as you know them. Don't let the looks of them fool you, the gang is still intact personality wise. It's worth checking out.

Axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Are the fight scènes good?

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
tzarinna
С новым годом!

Yes.

tzarinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Can't wait, 3 more hours for me! As a long time turtle fan this is gonna be great. It will be the first turtles film I see in the theaters. Luckily I'm bringing my nephew who is even more excited about this film than I think I am. We watch the 80s cartoon and we also watch the original 3 times a couple times during the year.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Axelrod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
Are the fight scènes good?
I'll tell you this, there is one scene that is the obvious highlight of the film that impressed me and showed future potiential with this franchise.

Axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Jackfrost

Quote:
"Drain all of their blood — even if it kills them!"
Yeah, this movie...

1/10.

Jackfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Victarion
Cut

Sounds in line with the original comics...which were extra dark-n-gritty for the sake of comedy.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Ipodman
Love Tension

Going to see it now... woohoo!

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Just got back. Going to go to bed, so I don't have time to get into it. They nailed the turtles, and in all the best ways captured the spirit of the original cartoon. The turtles themselves were fun. I liked that April's backstory was a blend of the reporter and scientist. They keep the reporter aspect, but found a way to incorporate her association to the turtles having been created in a lab by giving that to her father, and she was the one who freed them. Loved that. The fights were outstanding. The effects were money.

The plot was paper thin, and in the worst way. There's a degree to which a lot of simplicity is appropriate, but this script crosses that line so very badly. No Hamato Yoshi, and no real association between Splinter and Shredder. It's not personal. Hell, they don't even say the name Oroko Saki, even though that's him. Yes, the evil plot smacked of TASM, but that one had at least some real personal investment from the villain. This had none.

I think, had the backstories (outside of April's) been richer and the toxin plot been eliminated, the overwhelming flaws in the 1st and 3rd acts would disappear. I sincerely hope that this gets a sequel, and they take the time to right the wrongs. Omissions of Saki's and Yoshi's names is easy to address, and the reincarnation angle from the IDW comics can easily be introduced. And though Knoxville wasn't bad, I really would like to hear Pete next time round.

I'm tired as hell. I'll get into it with everybody tomorrow after the first round of screenings tonight. Goodnight guys!

5/10

Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

I was surprised, I had very low expectations. I could definitely see Fox was really trying but I am sad to say this is as good as her acting range will go. Once you look past the rebooted designs you can definitely see they nailed the Turtles down. Here's hoping this makes enough money for them to warrant a sequel, I would to see this film's universe version of Casey Jones and maybe even Bebop and Rocksteady.

I'd give it a 3/5 or 3.5/5

Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #15
Techn9ne77
Side-Kick

Saw it tonight at 7 pm. Decent crowd turnout as well. I didn't think that many people would show up for an early evening screening. It was an incredibly flawed film, but did I still enjoy it? Yeah. I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

Pros: (1) All of the Turtle's personalities are on point. Mikey steals the show with his humor/one-liners.

(2) Shredder was badass. He spoke in Japanese & was subtitled the majority of the film. Loved how intimidating he looked out of the suit & how they kept him in shadows.

(3) For the most part, the action & fighting was well-done (See Cons #4 also).

(4) The new origin for Splinter & the Turtles was fine & worked.

Cons:
(1) Story was pedestrian & characters were a bit undeveloped. Kids should love this film b/c once it gets going, the story is left behind & its action set-piece after action set-piece.

(2) Splinter looked horrific. Even my girl said 'He looks awful" when they finally did a full reveal on him. Some of the CGI of him whacking the Turtles with his tail was atrocious-looking. Actually in general, the CGI could get a bit distracting.

(3) Pretty much everyone needs new designs. I thought seeing them in motion & watching the film (aside from still photos) would obscure the weird-looking faces. But the entire film, I kept noticing the Turtles' human noses & mouths. Plus, they have waaayyy too much stuff (clothes, accessories, tech) on them. Shredder was badass but they really could dial back on the suit. Typical Bay & company thinking bigger & more is always better. I actually enjoyed him out of the suit a bit more, wish there were more scenes like that in the film.

(4) Speaking of, the Turtles are simply way TOO big. This took away from the fight scenes b/c they're basically Brock Lesnar-ing the crap out of the Foot Soldiers. When Ralp & Shredder fight, it really does look like Megatron vs a Dinosaur from Jurassic Park. If they weren't giants, the fight scenes would have been better & fit the ninja aesthetic.

(5) Score could get overwhelming. I can't really explain it, but there was something weird to me about the score on this film. It was like it tried to create emotional moments by making the music louder & louder. Not sure I'm explaining myself well enough, hopefully someone else got that vibe from the score & is able to express it better than I can.

Quick thoughts on Megan Fox: Ehhhh, she was ok. Honestly, for the first 30 minutes, I thought she was fine. She actually did better than I expected. Then later on, I kept thinking 'why couldn't they have gotten some red-haired unknown actress?' Do we really need Megan Fox in this film?'

Last edited by Techn9ne77; 08-08-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Techn9ne77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #16
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

3.5/5

Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #17
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I liked the movie, but I had to chuckle at the idea that a ton of adrenaline is an effective counter-measure to blood loss

Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #18
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Okay, here are my thoughts:

Megan O'Neil: I was rather surprised that Fox actually wasn't that bad. Her acting isn't top notch or Oscar-worthy, but she really was trying and I have to give her credit for that. I just disliked the fact that she was basically the heroine of the movie, and so much emphasis was placed on the fact that she was the one who saved the turtles. Even Splinter basically regards her as some kind of guardian angel, or savior-like spirit. It just felt really out of place. And although April has more to do in this movie as oppose to previous incarnations, she is still so totally the damsel in distress, like ridiculously so.

The Turtles: Freakin spot-on. I loved this film's turtles. Their personalities are amazingly canon and I actually really like their new designs. However, I so wish this film focused more on the turtles than April, but that was expected I guess.

The Villains: One word: no. These villains were so ridiculously cliched. Why the heck wasn't this Eric Sachs just plain ole Baxter Stockman? Oh yeah...rewrites. And Shredder? No backstory, no mention of Oroko Saki, no real sense of threat to be honest. I have to say it, the 90s Shredder was AWESOME compared to this new version. That one had real motivation, manipulated kids and teenagers to thwart out his schemes, and had a personal vendetta against Splinter and the turtles. This one: nothing, except for a crazy mech suit. Meh.

Splinter: Dammit, I hate to be the bad guy here, but I really didn't like this Splinter. He was extremely too harsh on his sons (like abusively so), lacked real wisdom and although he was protective over the turtles, he just didn't seem very father-like. And he learned karate from a book...seriously?

Overall, it was okay. I wouldn't have minded a longer movie with more fleshed out characters and a much better storyline, but I do hope there's room for redemption in a sequel. And for the love of God, ditch Vernon and bring on Casey. 5/10

Last edited by Cassandra Cain; 08-08-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Cassandra Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 AM   #19
addison81
Side-Kick

Splinter learning from the book is no worse than him learning from watching a human do it in the original. At the end of the day it's a kids movie about a mutated rat and turtles who know ninjutsu so I just rolled with it. I enjoyed the turtles and had fun with the movie but I wouldn't call it good. I do think it's better than it's RT score though. I'll definitely get the bluray. I just wouldn't recommend the movie to anyone but kids.

addison81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #20
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison81 View Post
but I wouldn't call it good. I do think it's better than it's RT score though. I'll definitely get the bluray. I just wouldn't recommend the movie to anyone but kids.
Here is the thing, it IS good if you gonna own the Blu-ray. I am gonna do the same. It's just not great! So why don't people just be honest and tell people that it's good in action/special effects and turtles personality is pretty spot on, but everything else is weak? Let everyone be their own decider whether they want to see the movie or not based on this?

I wouldn't recommend movies if it's bad in everything, but at least this movie got very good action, like the Transformers. They are tons movies out there worse than this, since they are not that great in the story, and not even got good action if any at all.

Most of your professional reviewers don't give a damn about action, so I already knew what kind of movie it was before I saw it. I knew these kinds of movies don't impress them. AWESOME action means nothing to them.

Last edited by SuperJediHero; 08-08-2014 at 02:36 AM.
SuperJediHero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #21
LostSon88
Side-Kick

What was the Baxter Stockman Easter egg?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:12 AM   #22
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent

Most reviews I've seen so far have been bad, gutted, really hoped this movie would be great, ill still see it, because, you know, its turtles.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #23
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Since Im sure there will be plenty of hate threads within the next few days about the new TMNT film, Here is a thread for people who enjoyed the film. I enjoyed it and I don't think its the embarrassment that many thought it would be. I was able to keep an open mind leading up to the release and had a fun time!
I don't see casual theater goers liking it much, and of course "critics" do not like it, but for TMNT FANS, its right up our alley! The original 1990 movie will always be king, but I feel the new film is better than Secret of the Ooze, TMNTIII, and even TMNT(2007)!

+ I loved the personalities and introduction of the Turtles, that was perfectly spot on.
+ Megan Fox wasn't half bad!
+ The CGI was fantastic
+ Great laughs, lighthearted fun. Never takes itself too seriously
+ The end
- The Product placement was nearly unbearable, my biggest gripe.
- Shredder was very underdeveloped and disappointing, after a cool introduction.
- The score was very generic. Thanks Brian Tyler.
- Why was Whoopi Goldberg in this?
- You could just tell the movie went through several rewrites

Donnie stole the show for me. His "badass" moment in the snow gave me chills.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
Ipodman
Love Tension

I'll give it a 8/10... I liked it well enough. The high point was definitely when Splinter took on Shredder. I expected Splinter to make some cheesy last minute comeback in the climax, but oh well.

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
What was the Baxter Stockman Easter egg?
Yes, I didn't catch this either

Romans 8:38-39
WoodyROM is offline   Reply With Quote