Chris Evans as Captain America/Steve Rogers 60 55.05%
Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne 42 38.53%
Somehow, completely equal 7 6.42%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Default Evan's Cap vs. Bale's Batman

Both have had three movies that are well liked by the majority. In terms of overall performance, who best represents their character presented in the comics, and who best breathed new aspects to their character.

Please don't vote which film series you like best, that belongs in the Cap 2 vs. TDK thread.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: Evan's Cap vs. Bale's Batman

Chris Evans as Cap. Bale did an amazing job, but he did an amazing job at an easier role ( a dark anti-hero motivated by tragedy, versus a genuinely good and altruistic person doing right because it is right ).

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Is this thread serious?

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
The Endless
WE are Groot

I think they both embody their characters well. But Evan's Cap has the advantage of not being compromised to fit the screen and is a total bad ass. Whereas Bale's Batman is a stripped down version of the character and frankly, pretty ****ing lame. His Bruce Wayne is really good though.

And that is the thing that makes them hard to compare. Steve Rogers is Captain America, in and out of the costume. Batman has a secret identity and all the things that come with that.

But I think Captain America is actually a more difficult character to portray and make likeable. It is so, so very easy to make Captain America a boring cornball who you can't relate to, but Evans manages to make him charming, bad ass and human whilst still being incredibly earnest and heroic.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Marvin
Side-Kick

another one of these threads...

Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Bale as Batman.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 AM   #7
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

To the OP, a worthy thread, as I think comparisons were inevitable, so big ups to you.

Okay, for me it isn't even close. Bale by miles.

But, let me also say that Evans has really come into the role as Cap.
I found him dull in both CA, and The Avengers, but this time he was a little
more comfortable with the role, and did a very good job. I actually liked his
Cap, and I HATE Captain America, so for Evans to get me on board,
well done him.

Okay, here's why IMO Bale's better.

1) He's playing 3 characters. Batman, Bruce Wayne the public face, and the real Bruce Wayne - this was very clearly established in Batman Begins, and Bale ran with it in TDK.

The three are different, but believable. The reason being is that Bale is a truly great actor, Evans is becoming a good one, but he's not in the same league. ( If you don't believe me, go see the Fighter ).

Let's face it Evans as Cap is just playing one character, so advantage Bale.

2) Bale's inner conflicts as the different characters are much more nuanced, compared to Cap's. For Cap its just whether he needs to be a good soldier and follow orders, or fight for the freedom he's supposed to represent.

Evans did a good job with Cap having to make that decision, but Bale had to really plumb Batman's most inner reserves and question the legitimacy of the character itself.

the next two are more about the whole film, and why Bale was able to outshine Evans, other than superior acting ability.

3) This is not a reflection on Evans, but Bale had better writing to work with, in terms of the character. I thought CA TWS was well written in general (which again is saying a lot as I loathe the character), but Nolan and Goyer made us really go on a journey with Bruce Wayne.

4) Bale had a better supporting cast. Jackson and Redford were very solid, Johansen was okay and Mackie was good. But none of them hold a candle to Oldman, Caine, Freeman, Eckhart and of course, Ledger.

I suppose you could argue that this might makes Evans better, as he had less to work with (in terms of supporting cast), but I think through his interactions with these amazing actors Bale really showed off what he could do (particularly in his scenes with Caine and Oldman).

I do give the edge to Evans in terms of the choreography of Cap's fighting style - a lot flashier than Batman's but a better reflection of what he's like in the comics, and very impressive on the screen. It was so well done that it looked like he actually could beat up GSP ( of course in real life Evans wouldn't last more than 2 seconds against Georges), but that just shows how good the choreography was.

I liked Batman's fighting style being heavy handed, but I think it was best portrayed in Batman Begins. (mind you it would be very hard to pull off any kind of high kick or acrobatics under that suit).

So Bale all the way, but well done Evans for a huge improvement and an enjoyable performance as Cap.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:39 AM   #8
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Chris Evans is Captain America. Bale is a good actor but his Batman kind of sucked.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

My one and only problem with Bale as Batman is his voice. I've never fully bought Chris Evans as Captain America. He doesn't have the leader-esque features I've always imagined Captain American to have. Also...once Bale announced that he was done, I was a little heartbroken and worried about the next actor who will play Batman. I don't think I'd feel the same if Evans announced that he's done with Captain America.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Was there really a need for this thread? I'm pretty sure it could have been collapsed into the TWS v. TDK one.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Was there really a need for this thread? I'm pretty sure it could have been collapsed into the TWS v. TDK one.
That would have inevitably derailed everything into a clash of Marvel Studios vs. DC/WB, which it pretty much is already over there. I wanted a comparison thread for two of the biggest leading actors in the history of the genre, not redundant arguments on how Bale "sucked" because the "Joker was way cooler" or how Evans was a "boring boy scout". That thread is for two movies, and only a third of what both actors bring to the table.

My vote is for Evans, although it's close. He has had such an organic character arc throughout his three films essentially playing four roles: Skinny Steve whose temperament and sensibilities are overlooked by his physicality; unflappable WWII super soldier who symbolized the fire of the Allies; pre-Winter Soldier Shield agent, throwing himself into the only 'soldier' role contemporary society while struggling to find his new niche in life; and the post- Hydra reveal where Steve finally finds his footing in modern times, and finds out all that he has yet to live for.

Bale to had an impressive character arc, but the role didn't demand as many changes as Cap's did and went off rail in the third film. Essentially Bale played the meandered, pre-Batman Bruce covering his guilt over his parent's death with anger; the Batman from the first two films, unwillingly owning the role of Gotham's savior; and TDKR where he becomes a recluse and hanging up the mantle before coming back to the unwilling savior of the first two films. It seemed like all the lessons Bruce learnt throughout the course of the final film were dropped in order to get to an end point that the character shouldn't have been stuck with anyways. His character progress didn't feel organic, but contrived.

GL: 4/10. SR: 6.5/10. BB: 8/10. TDK: 9/10. TDKR: 5/10. MOS: 6/10.

SM: 8/10. SM2: 7/10. SM3: 4/10. TASM: 6.5/10 TASM2: 6/10.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

I really like Evans as Cap, I didnt think he would be up to it after FF but his two performances have been pitch perfect in the Cap films. I think he does better work than RDJ myself.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Michael Keaton remains the best performance of Batman/Bruce Wayne. The raspy voice thing is just ridiculous. It's like Bale did a bad imitation of Michael Keaton's Batman.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
No offense, but aren't you the one who made the "TDK vs Batman: The Movie" thread?

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Is this thread serious?
Nailed my reaction when I first read this thread.

Also, OP, I wouldn't count Avengers as part of Captain America's movie series.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

^ Why not?

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

I think that Evans' Captain America is closer to the Cap in the comics than Bale's Batman was to Batman in the comics. I love both but voted Evans.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
^ Why not?
I think it'd be a much fairer comparison if we judged the Captain America trilogy, and TDKT. IMO, the Avengers had a lot of problems with making each character consistent and as a result, I think CA got shortchanged in the Avengers (mainly because RDJStark and Hulk were too busy stealing the show).

Or maybe this is because I loved the way Steve Rogers was written in CA2 that its making me more nitpicky about the way that Joss Whedon handled the characters.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

That's a good point. It would be a better comparison after Cap 3.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Evans' Cap.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #21
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Chris Evans by a mile as far as I'm concerned...

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #22
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I think Evans is a good Cap but really overrated.

I vote Bale but that might be because the script for him is much better for him than in TA/TFA. Might change my mind if his character gets a great one like in TWS.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #23
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Evans is perfect as Steve Rodgers and Cap, hard to believe I was highly skeptical when he was first cast. Bale was a good Bruce Wayne, but a terrible Batman in my eyes.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #24
UltraSuperGuy
Side-Kick

Christian Bale is a fantastic actor but it's more the choices that they decided to go with that never made his Batman feel like Batman. The silly, gravely Batman voice is one such error. Also, in the comics, Batman is this genius super-detective that makes all these gadgets for himself, etc. In the movies, Bale's Batman is just this ninja-trained rich guy. He's not a genius that creates things or a super-detective, all of that stuff is done for him by other people like Fox.

The Captain America portrayal is totally true to the comics and totally respectful of the character in the comics. And Evans plays it perfectly.

UltraSuperGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
titansupes
Side-Kick

Bale as Batman. Come on now. Still love Evans as Cap, though.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote