The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: How much will The Wolverine make world wide?
$100M 3 3.66%
$200M 5 6.10%
$300M 13 15.85%
$400M 38 46.34%
$500M 14 17.07%
$600M 6 7.32%
$700M 2 2.44%
$800M 0 0%
$900M 0 0%
$1 Billion 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #251
Blade X
Side-Kick

Default Re: The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
The wolverine making 140 million domesticly would be called a flop.That's less
than first Class.
It wouldn't be thought of as a "flop". However, it would be thought of as an "under performer" (which is just a step above a flop).

Also, am I the only one who finds it ironic that WOLVERINE ORIGINS (which was bootlegged online a month before it was released) and got lots of negative reviews, did much better than THE WOLVERINE? FOX and other Hollywood studios constantly blame piracy (especially online piracy) for hurting ticket sales or for why a movie didn't perform better at the box office. And yet, the success of WOLVERINE ORIGIN and the (so far) failure of THE WOLVERINE at the box office proves otherwise.

Last edited by Blade X; 07-27-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #252
Mr. Dent
Banned User

It wouldn't even be seen as underperforming. It would be right on target with what expectations were before everyone started throwing out $70-80m OW estimations. Before that it was $55-65m. Is it on the low end of expectations? Yes, but it still meets expectations.

Funny how a "Fox hater" can see light better than supposed diehard Fox X-Men fans.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #253
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I think 65mil was a realistic expectation but 70-80 was not. And the 4 year gap did not help.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #254
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
It wouldn't be thought of as a "flop". However, it would be thought of as an "under performer" (which is just a step ave a flop).

Also, am I the only one who finds it ironic that WOLVERINE ORIGINS (which was bootlegged online a month before it was released) and got lots of negative reviews, did much better than THE WOLVERINE? FOX and other Hollywood studios constantly blame piracy (especially online piracy) for hurting ticket sales or for why a movie didn't perform better at the box office. And yet, the success of WOLVERINE ORIGIN and the (so far) failure of THE WOLVERINE at the box office proves otherwise.
I think if people really want to go to the theater they do and theres little effect on Box Office numbers especially now that most films are 3D. If there were box office numbers wouldnt be growing in the age of the internet.

I do believe piracy hurts DVD/Bluray sells.

I use to spend hundreds on DVDs and now I rarely buy anything. But i do go to the movies

Old 07-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #255
Old Wolverine
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Settle down with the mass hysteria, please.
Your kidding right? What mass Hysteria am I producing. The fact is the film is going to make 45 to 55 million this weekend. Why is that mass hysteria?
Look, I came here to have fun and talk about movies. Everyone can have there point of view correct?

I have been an avid supporter from the film since I started posting, to me the film is a solid 5 out of 5. But I can't make people go to the movie nor make people believe it's good.

If I wanted negativity I would go to IMDB.com. Take a gander over there and see the hatred for the film. Most of the hatred is cause those losers have nothing else to do, they don't even care about movies they just want to cause issues. I DON'T.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #256
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Because it makes no sense when you were comparing this to John Carter.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #257
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wolverine View Post
Your kidding right? What mass Hysteria am I producing. The fact is the film is going to make 45 to 55 million this weekend. Why is that mass hysteria?
Look, I came here to have fun and talk about movies. Everyone can have there point of view correct?

I have been an avid supporter from the film since I started posting, to me the film is a solid 5 out of 5. But I can't make people go to the movie nor make people believe it's good.

If I wanted negativity I would go to IMDB.com. Take a gander over there and see the hatred for the film. Most of the hatred is cause those losers have nothing else to do, they don't even care about movies they just want to cause issues. I DON'T.
If people understood that as of now "The Wolverine" is still on track to not only make money but to be more profitable than he last 3 X-Men film then there would be no hysteria.

Sure, its performing below some expectations in America but if you go look at most box office predictions over a month old they were prediction $125-150 domestic and thats what we are getting.

As long as this movie makes 300million worldwide its successful.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #258
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

I think if DOFP underperforms next year, Fox will really be in a deep hole regarding the future of their X-Men franchise. They may be able to write The Wolverine off since it came out of the underwhelming Origins movie, but DOFP must do alot better. There can be no excuses anymore.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #259
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Oops meant under $60 million.

- CM Punk
Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #260
Liam_H
Side-Kick

DOFP should manage $100M OW during the 4 days and finish with at least $250M domestic.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #261
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I think if DOFP underperforms next year, Fox will really be in a deep hole regarding the future of their X-Men franchise. They may be able to write The Wolverine off since it came out of the underwhelming Origins movie, but DOFP must do alot better. There can be no excuses anymore.
I thinks its very unlikely that DOFP will make anything under 500million worldwide which is about what it would need to break even with a 200m budget.

Also, movies nowadays are getting sponsorships and using product placement.

Man of Steel publicly has made $170 million from sponsors which almost covered the entire budget meaning that even if man of steel made 100 million worldwide the studio wouldnt have lost money.

I dont know how much the Wolverine is makingwith this or how much Future Past will but thats just free and clear money.

Id say as long as DOFP makes 600million worldwide Xmen will get another movie (with a lower budget), and Im predicting itll get at least 650million.

If they could work out a deal with Marvel to trade characters and get Wolverine in the Avengers, it would seriously help the BO of future wolverine or Xmen movies.

I doubt it happens but I know Jackman wants it

Old 07-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #262
SoNicRaDiATioN
Hooked On A Feeling

As already stated, the Wolverine is pretty much on track to do what most reasonable people expected prior to some of these recent over-the-top tracking numbers. It's on the low end of expectations, but I doubt Fox is shocked by the numbers being produced. DoFP is the franchise that will have the lightning in a bottle expectations. If that underperforms then we'll talk.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #263
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Which is probably why Fox is taking a noticeably different approach advertising and marketing Days of Future Past.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #264
Double B
Side-Kick

Considering until, quite literally, a couple of months ago there was next to zero promotion for TW, considering the fact that Fox had absolutely no idea to promote (though the current UK TV spots are rather brilliant) - it's performing as expected.

Compare it to the promotion that DOFC has already and you can see the clear difference.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #265
Snikt
Side-Kick

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are worried about the box office results for The Wolverine...it'll do fine. Nuff said

Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #266
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Fox expected 65mil so no it's not performing as expected. It's not a bomb or anything but it is underperforming domestically.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #267
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

One other interesting observation from my theater going experience Thursday night, I don't recall a single person that looked under the age of 17. It all appeared to be people between the ages of 17-35 (late high school and older). I got a good look at the crowd before they let us all in. It was at an about 60% full 2D screening. My audience clapped at the end of the actual movie, a while before that mid-credits scene.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #268
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

My audience didn't clap at the end but that means nothing one way or the other. They did clap after the stinger though.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #269
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan

My theater was about 70% to 75% full on a Friday night. No one clapped at the end but most of the theater clapped for the end credit scene.

All this time Fox thought the X-Men needed Wolverine...turns out it may be the other way around.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #270
mmaeric
Side-Kick

I went to the theater on Friday at 12:45pm matinee, 3D showing.

There was maybe 15 people in the whole theater tops. Noone cheered but there wasalot of laughs and it was clear the crowd enjoyed it.

Most of the crowd left before the post-credit scene.

Last edited by mmaeric; 07-27-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: so it would be less confusing
Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #271
rayc1971
Side-Kick

dofp is a event film don't see it being hurt by this film one way or the other.this movie has a lower budget than first class and still might make as much that's a win.only thing is that these x films have been on the decline domestically from origins to first class to wolverine.i think with singer back and have the first class and xmen groups together will bring in the dough for dofp

Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #272
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
I've always thought the "negative" effect of the leak was always exaggerated. It was almost akin to a preview demo for a videogame with its unfinished effects. If anything, I thought it inflated the OW because people wanted to know if the finished product would make up for the subpar story, plus it behaved more like a pseudo-X-Men film than a solo Wolverine story, with the all the mutie overload.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #273
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

People should have seen this coming.

Like I've been saying before, more spin-offs will not make this film series compete with the other big film franchises out there. With every spin-off that they release, the money that FOX will get will decrease.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #274
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaeric View Post
I thinks its very unlikely that DOFP will make anything under 500million worldwide which is about what it would need to break even with a 200m budget.

Also, movies nowadays are getting sponsorships and using product placement.

Man of Steel publicly has made $170 million from sponsors which almost covered the entire budget meaning that even if man of steel made 100 million worldwide the studio wouldnt have lost money.

I dont know how much the Wolverine is makingwith this or how much Future Past will but thats just free and clear money.

Id say as long as DOFP makes 600million worldwide Xmen will get another movie (with a lower budget), and Im predicting itll get at least 650million.

If they could work out a deal with Marvel to trade characters and get Wolverine in the Avengers, it would seriously help the BO of future wolverine or Xmen movies.

I doubt it happens but I know Jackman wants it
That money is used to cover marketing and distribution cost. Also, you need a film with that sort of marketing potential to get that kind of money. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and now Iron-Man, yes. Wolverine? Not really.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #275
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I am surprised it did less than $60 million.

It seems this summer gassed out early in June. I mean yeah, Monsters U and Despicable Me 2 both did well. But a lot of the bigger performers were smaller, lower budget movies. Now You See Me. The Conjuring. The Heat.

Anyone think Fox will change their minds about Disney/Marvel crossovers now?
That is a comparison thing though. Those did great according to their budget, but they didn't destroy the box office.