The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: How much will The Wolverine make world wide?
$100M 3 3.66%
$200M 5 6.10%
$300M 13 15.85%
$400M 38 46.34%
$500M 14 17.07%
$600M 6 7.32%
$700M 2 2.44%
$800M 0 0%
$900M 0 0%
$1 Billion 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #326
ssj wolverine
Plenty have tried pal!!

Default Re: The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Wolverine struggling to get above 50m? Was hoping for at least 70m. Surprised that World War Z will swash it.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #327
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Rth says Saturday's looking like 18.7m.
What's RTH?

Anyway, if this number holds up we may get 55million afterall. With decent legs it may still pull off $150million and with good legs over $160 and from what im hearing as long as Wolverine gets into China 250OS is a lock making 400WW a real possibility.

One of thesebox office sites say they are expecting well over 100 million overseas this weekend, maybe even making it to around 200 million through Sunday which would be crazy

Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #328
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj wolverine View Post
Wolverine struggling to get above 50m? Was hoping for at least 70m. Surprised that World War Z will swash it.
World War Z's budget was double the wolverines meaning it would have to make about twice as much to be equally as profitable at the box office

Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #329
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Looks like i have to revise my BO prediction for this movie. I thought it will gross at least $70M OW. But looks like it will only gross just over $50M.

Guess it will top up just over $150M Domestic. Thats even lower than Thor and Cap.

But looking at the cast and subject, maybe its not such a poor performer.

HJ is the only recognizable actor in this flick (if u discount the cameos of of FJ and the after credits scene). There were hardly any x-men villains in this show. OW had deadpool (i know they butchered that character), Gambit (i know they butchered that character), Blob (i know....), Sabretooth (i know... ). So i can sort of understand why this is grossing $50M this week.

Anyway it should at least do huge numbers OS.

Also DOFP should do blockbuster numbers next year... I reckon TAS 2 & DOFP should be the top grossing movies of next summer.

Last edited by ironman_rick; 07-28-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #330
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman_rick View Post
Looks like i have to revise my BO prediction for this movie. I thought it will gross at least $70M OW. But looks like it will only gross just over $50M.

Guess it will top up just over $150M Domestic. Thats even lower than Thor and Cap.

HJ is the only recognizable actor in this flick (if u discount the cameos of of FJ and the after credits scene). There were hardly any x-men villains in this show. OW had deadpool (i know they butchered that character), Gambit (i know they butchered that character), Blob (i know....), Sabretooth (i know... ). So i can sort of understand why this is grossing $50M this week.

Also DOFP should do blockbuster numbers next year... I reckon TMS 2 & DOFP should be the top grossing movies of next summer.
Well, thor and Cap had a 25% larger budget an as long as it gets into China Wolverine is still looking at Cap-Thor worldwide numbers.

I dont think Origins butchered Gambit or Sabretooth and I was ok with Blob I suppose. They absolutely Butched Deadpool, but Reynolds did well as Wade Wilson.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #331
narrows101
Side-Kick

My theory for the lower numbers is it's prime vacation season - practically everyone I know is on vacation and not home, plus there's been a few superhero/action movies already this summer and "fatigue" may be setting in. I'm not a fan of releasing a movie end of July/August. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I was going to the movie and she said "I forgot it was out this weekend, I've been so busy."

Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #332
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

According to boxoffice.com, it should do $54M. Not bad.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #333
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaeric View Post
What's RTH?
Guy from the Box Office forums known for accurate box office updates. Makes Nikke look like an amateur.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #334
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaeric View Post
Well, thor and Cap had a 25% larger budget an as long as it gets into China Wolverine is still looking at Cap-Thor worldwide numbers.

I dont think Origins butchered Gambit or Sabretooth and I was ok with Blob I suppose. They absolutely Butched Deadpool, but Reynolds did well as Wade Wilson.
Well thats subjective. Gambit has a huge following in the comics. And the way he was portrayed, was scandalous.

And sabretooth helping out wolverine at the end of the movie

Anyway...the point i was making is that....there were much more recognizable characters in orgins than TW. The x-men has a *****load of villain characters who haven't been casted into movies. It wouldn't have hurt the film if they put one or two characters in this movie to make it more salable to domestic audience.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #335
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman_rick View Post

Also DOFP should do blockbuster numbers next year... I reckon TMS 2 & DOFP should be the top grossing movies of next summer.
Understatement of the year.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #336
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Well, Fox took out the X-Men title, which I assume is because they thought the name Wolverine is good enough to carry itself in the box office. The OW figures may say otherwise, though.

Honestly, the only reason I went to see the film is

1) My brother is a huge Wolverine fan and asked me to go
2) Hoping this movie would foreshadow Jean's presence in DOFP
3) The end credit scene

While I wouldn't mind seeing Wolverine as part of an ensemble cast...I'm burnt out from Wolverine over exposure. Almost every X-Men film centers around Wolverine and his anti-hero/troubled past persona. Ok, we get it.

Granted, Wolverine is an interesting character, but he needs the X-Men.

That's one of the many things the Avengers got right...balancing the characters and not giving the impression that one character is overexposed more so than the others.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #337
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I think Ryan Reynolds was pretty weak as Deadpool.

He was more Van Wilder than Deadpool.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #338
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj wolverine View Post
I never saw it doing $70m, I thought if it was lucky, it would come in around $60-$65.

$55 is disappointing, but better than I expected than all of the gloom and doom I was hearing yesterday.

With that reported budget, it'll end up doing fine in the long run. It's just sucks that it didn't have a better opening than that.

Blame audiences still wary after Origins (trying to win them back by making them pay extra for the 3D wasn't particularly bright, either), and a bunch of generic trailers that didn't do a good job showing that this movie was going to any different from the last one.

Same thing happened with First Class. It's like they finally started making better movies, but have no clue how to promote them.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #339
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I think Ryan Reynolds was pretty weak as Deadpool.

He was more Van Wilder than Deadpool.
He was barely in it, I think he's a great fit for Deadpool?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #340
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Guy from the Box Office forums known for accurate box office updates. Makes Nikke look like an amateur.
Nikke is an amateur. The woman is a crazy cat lady who never leaves the house and her 'sources' are stuff she swipes off of other websites most of the time.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #341
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
He was barely in it, I think he's a great fit for Deadpool?
He was in long enough for me to see his lame version of Deadpool.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #342
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
He was in long enough for me to see his lame version of Deadpool.
Lol do t get how a 5 minute cameo can be seen as a lame portrayal but OK. I personally thought he was the best thing in the film and he was only in it for that short period of time.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #343
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

having same numbers as first class did Is not good because first class didn't have 3-d.

It makes me very pessemic that In both 2011 and 2013 the best comic book film struggled.

And this underperforming may hurt chances X-men spinoffs In future.The underperformance of FF:RotSS killed planned Silver surfer solo film.And underperformance of TIH has killed solo hulk films.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #344
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
My theory for the lower numbers is it's prime vacation season - practically everyone I know is on vacation and not home, plus there's been a few superhero/action movies already this summer and "fatigue" may be setting in. I'm not a fan of releasing a movie end of July/August. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I was going to the movie and she said "I forgot it was out this weekend, I've been so busy."
It is indeed 'prime vacation season.' I'm away myself, and had I not seen it at a press preview screening, I wouldn't be able to go for another two weekends. Plus, there's a heatwave in Europe (including the UK) and, even though cinemas have good air-con, the last thing many people want to do in a hot sunny spell is go into a dark auditorium - they'd prefer to be enjoying the sunshine.

So, yes, the summer holiday season and sunny weather will have an impact, for sure. But good reviews will hopefully give the film some legs so that those who can't go to see it yet can be assured it's worth the effort when they do get chance.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #345
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
having same numbers as first class did Is not good because first class didn't have 3-d.

It makes me very pessemic that In both 2011 and 2013 the best comic book film struggled.

And this underperforming may hurt chances X-men spinoffs In future.The underperformance of FF:RotSS killed planned Silver surfer solo film.And underperformance of TIH has killed solo hulk films.
I doubt it aslong as DOFP dies well then it's all good. FX want a taste of a universe like Disney are doing so they're definitely timely gonna take risks. Wolverine had a relatively small budget so they might do done smaller budget spin offs which I'd be fine with.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #346
Superhero 101
DESI

Not surprised by the numbers but I think its still a good amount of money and hopefully it should make around the same numbers as First Class which I don't think is bad

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #347
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
The 20th Century Fox pic opened to $55 million domestically and roughly $86.1 million internationally for a worldwide total of $141.1 million -- easily covering the film's $120 million production budget. Internationally, it posted the strongest opening ever for an X-Men title.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...e-opens-594633

Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #348
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It looks like foreign box office Is what will help It break even.

It continues a trend since 2009 the X-Men films doing better overseas than domestic

While DOFP will undoudaly do better than The Wolverine some need to put their predictions in check.Hugh Jackman's star power wasn't able to help the wolverine beat first Class domesticlly.His star power Is helping overseas.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #349
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Nah, it's going to make money, this is a fantastic start overseas, movie is en route to 400 M WW, budget is low: 120, win win for Fox.

Domestic, it was probably hurt by the fact that Origins sucks balls, considering that, it did well.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #350
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
Nah, it's going to make money, this is a fantastic start overseas, movie is en route to 400 M WW, budget is low: 120, win win for Fox.

Domestic, it was probably hurt by the fact that Origins sucks balls, considering that, it did well.
Yeh, its going to make money 100% for sure and quite a bit

World War Z is gonna make twice its budget worldwide, and less than its budget domestic and people are impressed by how well its doing, Wolverine is in line to do 3 times its budget worldwide and maybe more, and beat its budget domestically and it seems most people here think its a failure.

A movies success is determined by alot of variables. But basically it needs to make at least 2.5 times its budget to break even after marketing.

Wolverine will do better than that on top of of everything else i dont care to repeat

Last edited by mmaeric; 07-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Closed Thread