The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: How much will The Wolverine make world wide?
$100M 3 3.66%
$200M 5 6.10%
$300M 13 15.85%
$400M 38 46.34%
$500M 14 17.07%
$600M 6 7.32%
$700M 2 2.44%
$800M 0 0%
$900M 0 0%
$1 Billion 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #751
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I don't think that's the case, as though audiences were simply content with The Last Stand being the final chapter in the franchise and wondering why Fox has been releasing movies ever since.

If anything, I think it has to do with the fact that the quality of the films torpedoed, making harder sells like First Class and The Wolverine even more difficult thanks to the franchise's increasingly questionable reputation.
Except that while nobody is running out claiming them as masterpieces, the general audience didn't hate X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine the same way that the fanbase does. Both of those movies have high audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, and I have heard plenty of non-fanboys talk about either of those movies with positive regard.

I don't buy that X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine are the reason why these movies haven't been the big hits at the box office. I chalk it up to the fact that X-Men just aren't the "it" superhero franchise anymore, we're going on movie #4 past the movie that was supposed to end it all, and while audiences are enjoying the movies, they just don't care.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #752
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Except that while nobody is running out claiming them as masterpieces, the general audience didn't hate X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine the same way that the fanbase does. Both of those movies have high audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, and I have heard plenty of non-fanboys talk about either of those movies with positive regard.

I don't buy that X-Men: The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine are the reason why these movies haven't been the big hits at the box office. I chalk it up to the fact that X-Men just aren't the "it" superhero franchise anymore, we're going on movie #4 past the movie that was supposed to end it all, and while audiences are enjoying the movies, they just don't care.
You can keep saying this, but I REALLY don't think it's true. I don't know anyone that would say good things about X3. They might not have hated it the way the fanbase does, but I don't think they liked it either. It's either dislike or meh. Meh is still not good. Now Origins on the other hand... there is a lot of outright hate for that movie.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #753
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

The Last Stand and Origins didn't help. But what makes them a problem is that they lingered for years. Nothing to rid the bad taste they left in the mouth.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #754
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I chalk it up to the fact that X-Men just aren't the "it" superhero franchise anymore, we're going on movie #4 past the movie that was supposed to end it all, and while audiences are enjoying the movies, they just don't care.
Oh and to add, did you ever think that the reason the X-Men aren't the "it" superhero franchise could also be attributed to X3 being just ok with the general audiences?

A "meh" movie could result in the "it's ok, but I've had enough" effect. That's still the same result as those that say X3 was crap.

Last edited by josh8; 08-04-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #755
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Ive never heard anyone talk about Origins in positive regard. Last stand maybe a bit more positive but then still as the weakest of the three original films.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #756
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Ive never heard anyone talk about Origins in positive regard. Last stand maybe a bit more positive but then still as the weakest of the three original films.
Nobody? There are more then a few on this site that like Origins.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #757
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
There are always some one each side.

From my personal experience, my friends and acquaintances either saw Origins and didn't like it, or they didn't see it at all either because they thought X3 was crap or they didn't have any interest in a movie about Wolverine without the X-Men.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #758
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Sorry I was talking about in the real world not on here, I'm not saying they dont exist at all, cant say I have seen many on here either but some yes.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #759
narrows101
Side-Kick

Weekend:

Quote:
In #2 is Twentieth Century Foxís holdover, Marvelís Wolverine (with the highest theater count of 3,924). Marvel character played by Hugh Jackman yet again dropped 59% drop from last weekend for $21.6M and a new domestic cume through Sunday of $95M. Worldwide total should near $225M.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros/New Lineís low-cost $19M horror genre The Conjuring (3,155 theaters) crossed $100M after three weeks Saturday on its way to $135M all in. Here are the Top Ten films based on weekend estimates:

1. 2 Guns (Emmett-Furla/Universal) NEW [Runs 3,025] R
Friday $10.0M, Saturday , Weekend $28.0M
2. The Wolverine (20th Century Fox) Week 2 [Runs 3,924] PG13
Friday $6.4M (-69%), Saturday , Weekend $21.0M, Cume $94.3M
3. The Smurfs 2 (Sony Animation) NEW [Runs 3,866] PG
Friday $5.5M, Saturday , Weekend $17.5M, Cume $27.0M
4. The Conjuring (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 3,115] R
Friday $4.3M, Saturday , Weekend $13.5M, Cume $108.4M
5. Despicable Me 2 (Illumination/Universal) Week 5 [Runs 3,207] PG
Friday $3.0M, Saturday , Weekend $10.0M, Cume $326.2M
http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/smur...ational-hopes/

Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #760
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly this, back then people were begging for an Origins story of Logan so thats why it was made and several others planned, but because it received a bit of a critical mauling, even though it did decent at the BO, no more Origins tales but that was the original plan. The fact hardcore fans didnt take to Origins or Last stand meant Fox was a little bit lost as to what to do and then Batman and Marvel films took off with Ironman etc etc and X-men sort of got replaced.

I will be honest I didnt even see First Class until it was out on dvd about a year after release due to the bad taste the last two made, I was shocked at how much better it was.

Trouble is Fox had the upper hand in the CBM world but they fumbled the ball twice and Marvel and DC capitalised.
Exactly.I don't think that this is the case of people are tired of the X-men/Wolverine. It's just that they now have other options that they like better.The buzz surrounding DOFP and the end credit scene from The Wolverine proved that , as long as Fox will make things interesting again for the franchise, the audience will come.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #761
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
You can keep saying this, but I REALLY don't think it's true. I don't know anyone that would say good things about X3. They might not have hated it the way the fanbase does, but I don't think they liked it either. It's either dislike or meh. Meh is still not good. Now Origins on the other hand... there is a lot of outright hate for that movie.
Quote:
Oh and to add, did you ever think that the reason the X-Men aren't the "it" superhero franchise could also be attributed to X3 being just ok with the general audiences?

A "meh" movie could result in the "it's ok, but I've had enough" effect. That's still the same result as those that say X3 was crap.

LOL i tried telling him the same thing awhile ago

And i agree with you. A 'meh 'reaction can definitely have the same effect as 'it's crap!'reaction. What it does that it kills anticipation for the next installments.

And i don't think that the GA really cares wheter the movie they're seeing right now came out after a supposedly last installment of a franchise, or wheter or not it looks like a cash-grab attempt by the studio.To actually care about those stuff would make you more than just a casual viewer and would put you in the fanboy category.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #762
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think one major problem is that they have done little to nothing to keep X-Men relevant. Why are there so few X-Men films? Plenty of ways to use the characters, spin them off, make small budget films. There should be an X-Men movie every year, and a good one.

Marvel tested the waters with Iron Man and TIH, and pretty much all of Phase 1. Now that we are on Phase 2, we are entering an era where there are going to be two films in the series every single year. That is what X-Men should have been doing in the first place. Wolverine wouldn't feel overused if there were 10 X-Men films. Well unless he was the start of all of them.
A major problem with the X franchise is that, while FOX has control over a slew of mutants, they have a dearth of "stars". Comicbook fans may bemoan the preponderance of origin stories, but they work to tell those unfamiliar with the character why they are dressed so oddly and explain why they make such risky choices. And mutants tend not to have origin stories.

Marvel Studios is also in a tough situation now that the stories of the "big four" have been told. But they still have compelling origin stories in the on-deck circle in Cage, Strange, Runaways, Nick Fury, Inhumans and Black Panther.

Jeff Wadlow had it 100% correct - FOX needs to focus on other X teams going forward, and hope that DOFP has the kind of critical acclaim and box office appeal to draw interest in the spin- off franchises.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #763
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
Exactly.I don't think that this is the case of people are tired of the X-men/Wolverine. It's just that they now have other options that they like better.The buzz surrounding DOFP and the end credit scene from The Wolverine proved that , as long as Fox will make things interesting again for the franchise, the audience will come.
Trouble is when Fox first started out they had little competition, apart from maybe Spidey, but they got lazy and now suddenly they have DC, Marvel and Sony to contend with, not counting individual one offs like Dredd etc.

No wonder there is "super hero fatigue" mentioned in places, with so many heros to choose from nowadays the GA cant afford to go to all of them. Theyre going to be far more selective.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #764
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Trouble is when Fox first started out they had little competition, apart from maybe Spidey, but they got lazy and now suddenly they have DC, Marvel and Sony to contend with, not counting individual one offs like Dredd etc.

No wonder there is "super hero fatigue" mentioned in places, with so many heros to choose from nowadays the GA cant afford to go to all of them. Theyre going to be far more selective.
I think that by now, Fox realized this. That's why first class happened, and why they made the Wolverine movie the way it is.

Winning back your old audience is going to take some time. there's always going to be a transition period if you will. Same thing happened between Batman and Robin and Batman begins. In a way DOFP will prove wheter or not Fox will succeed in making the X-men franchise relevant again.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #765
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
I think that by now, Fox realized this. That's why first class happened, and why they made the Wolverine movie the way it is.

Winning back your old audience is going to take some time. there's always going to be a transition period if you will. Same thing happened between Batman and Robin and Batman begins. In a way DOFP will prove wheter or not Fox will succeed in making the X-men franchise relevant again.
Yes they are no doubt using FC and TW to get people interested again, as at least people will watch them on dvd or tv even if they dont see it in the theater and realise they are much better than the last attempts, pretty much the way I did!! Before going big with DoFP.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #766
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
@ERCBoxOffice: THE WOLVERINE was shredded in its 2nd wknd, down -59%, w/ a gross of $21.7M, $95M total.
https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/sta...32766931116033

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 08-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #767
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes they are no doubt using FC and TW to get people interested again, as at least people will watch them on dvd or tv even if they dont see it in the theater and realise they are much better than the last attempts, pretty much the way I did!! Before going big with DoFP.
Yeah, there is still hope, even though things do seems bleak at the moment, as the Irishavengers has kindly reminded us

But like i said, transition period, and the REAL test for the X-franchise would be DOFP...so fingers crosed!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #768
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Yeah, there is still hope, even though things do seems bleak at the moment, as the Irishavengers has kindly reminded us

But like i said, transition period, and the REAL test for the X-franchise would be DOFP...so fingers crosed!
Yeah its not all bad, it does seem like America is where xmen is struggling the most, the rest of the world should make sure it makes a decent profit.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #769
Angamb
Banned User

many franchises are struggling on USA, X-Men is not the only case.

Thats why Im not worried.

DOFP will be the highest x-men movie on America ever, so we dont need to worry about that

Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #770
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
COnsidering some projectings had it under 20 million for second weekend 21 million Isn't bad,And It's up to 95 million total domestic.

The wolverine's best day was saturday this weekend.That's Intresting.

2 guns Is dropping like cracy going from 10 million on friday to 9 million on Saturday to 7 million on sunday.

The best news Is the Wolverine Is beating the Smurfs 2.That means the more adult audence for the wolverine Is turning our than the kid audence for Smurfs 2.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #771
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Isn't it doing about what it was projected to do this weekend? Doesn't sound like there are any surprises here.

Again, I'm happy it beat out the Smurfs.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #772
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Ine one of updates some were predicitng a 19 or 20 million opening weekend.

Both 2 guns and the Smurfs 2 are dropping faster than the wolverine.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #773
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I knew 2 Guns would take first, since it's going for the same action crowd (I heard it was pretty good too), and honestly...I'll gladly see Wolverine hold on at second place. It beat out the Smurfs, and it's a hell of a lot better than seeing it go from first to sixth or something.

I wish it was doing better, but I have no control over these things, so I'll be content with the movie being awesome and doing just well enough.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #774
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I wish it was doing better.But besides despecable Me 2 It Is doing better than many july releases.In 2 weekes The wolverine has outgrossed domesticly pacific Rim which was more heavily promated than the wolverine.

And Foreign box office is going to be intresting to see.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #775
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Its going to make a profit, maybe not huge but it will be in the black overall. and it had a modest budget in comparison to the likes of Pacific Rim, MoS and WWZ.

Closed Thread