The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: How much will The Wolverine make world wide?
$100M 3 3.66%
$200M 5 6.10%
$300M 13 15.85%
$400M 38 46.34%
$500M 14 17.07%
$600M 6 7.32%
$700M 2 2.44%
$800M 0 0%
$900M 0 0%
$1 Billion 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #851
Double B
Side-Kick

Default Re: The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Ha, wait until the absolute train crash that summer 2015 will be in terms of blockbuster releases...

Disaster written all over it.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #852
SAUspartan
Kurtty Fan

This movie has done fine. It's easily going to make money so it's all good.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #853
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
The competition this Summer has been brutal. Very few movies have had a chance to stabilize. Two to Four movies have been released each week, it's nearly impossible for a movie to keep screens and eyeballs on it. There are three wide releases next weekend but they don't look as tough as this group.
Exactly. There are too many films being released, and at a time when many people have less money to spend, or are more worried about their spending because of economic uncertainties.

Marvel Studios is pooping out two comic book movies a year, and Disney is about to inflict a load of Star Wars on the world. We've had three sci-fi dystopian movies this summer that I can think of (After Earth, Oblivion, and now Elysium).

Amazingly, amid this mad swirl of cinema, Iron Man 3 managed to do incredibly well. I still don't really understand why it was such a success.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #854
narrows101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Amazingly, amid this mad swirl of cinema, Iron Man 3 managed to do incredibly well. I still don't really understand why it was such a success.
I think one of the reasons is that it came out first, on May 3, before vacation season and summer explosions/superhero fatigue set in. That bodes well for DOFP I think.

"It's not just that they don't make 'em like Hugh Jackman anymore - they never did."

"Hugh Jackman cruised in to a roaring crowd oozing more sex appeal then Prince Charming riding a horse called Charisma into the land of Suave."

"Hugh is not supposed to exist. You’re not supposed to be that macho, that tender and that athletic, and be able to sing." - Anne Hathaway
Old 08-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #855
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Audiences considered it a sequel to the $1.5 billion Avengers film, not Iron Man 2. Thor and Cap are also likely to get a substantial bump, though I would be surprised if they double the box office from the phase 1 films. If Singer and the OT cast can reverse the steady decline in the X franchise box office grosses, DOFP may have a similar positive effect on Wadlow's X-Force.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #856
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
The competition this Summer has been brutal. Very few movies have had a chance to stabilize. Two to Four movies have been released each week, it's nearly impossible for a movie to keep screens and eyeballs on it. There are three wide releases next weekend but they don't look as tough as this group.
That really doesn't apply here. No first doing $40 mil opening weekend to get in The Wolverine's way. This isn't like MoS opening a week before two $60+ mil films. This isn't STID having a horrible release date or pretty much every film that came out mid-June to early July eating each other.

Quote:
Exactly. There are too many films being released, and at a time when many people have less money to spend, or are more worried about their spending because of economic uncertainties.

Marvel Studios is pooping out two comic book movies a year, and Disney is about to inflict a load of Star Wars on the world. We've had three sci-fi dystopian movies this summer that I can think of (After Earth, Oblivion, and now Elysium).

Iron Man 3 came out first, and people wanted to see it. People will pay for what they want to see.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #857
A Necessary Evil
Peter Parker: Spider-Man

Also, that movie was phenomenal.

Missing you, Heath
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #858
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
That really doesn't apply here. No first doing $40 mil opening weekend to get in The Wolverine's way. This isn't like MoS opening a week before two $60+ mil films. This isn't STID having a horrible release date or pretty much every film that came out mid-June to early July eating each other.
So you think it's mostly the usual X-Men movie frontloading? I do think that is apart of it but I also think the competition is taking a toll. I think this weekend's drop would have been a little bit better if not for Percy, Millers and Elysium.

Quote:
Iron Man 3 came out first, and people wanted to see it. People will pay for what they want to see.
It's as simple as that and personally I thought Iron Man 3 was good.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

I SUPPORT GIVING BATFLECK A CHANCE.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #859
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Iron Man movies has always been a success and the success of the Avengers also helped Iron Man to become a bigger franchise. Plus it opened the summer movie season which is always a plus.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #860
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you think it's mostly the usual X-Men movie frontloading? I do think that is apart of it but I also think the competition is taking a toll. I think this weekend's drop would have been a little bit better if not for Percy, Millers and Elysium.
If the audience was there for this film, those films wouldn't be a problem. If there was no movies would it have been better? Yes, but that is the case for every film. But considering the combined take of those three films this weekend, it isn't that big of an impact.

Quote:
It's as simple as that and personally I thought Iron Man 3 was good.
Yep, I liked it as well.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #861
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Even if the box office for TW ends up being a little dissapointing,
Logan looks to be the central focus for DOFP.
If it does well,
Hugh might get another solo sequel.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #862
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
@BoxOffice: THE WOLVERINE: $8.0M Weekend (est) / $111.99M Domestic Total / 2,867 Locations / $2,790 Location Avg. #TheWolverine
https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/366573385603485696

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #863
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

That's a 62.5% drop. Ouch. Good thing that the budget wasn't 200mil and international numbers exist.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #864
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Also, that movie was phenomenal.
That's a matter of opinion, obviously. I loved Avengers, thought Thor was decent, Captain America okay, Iron Man very good and Iron Man 2 quite bad. But I really didn't care much for Iron Man 3 at all. All those remote-controlled suits flying around (they don't need the Avengers, just an army of suits), the fact they were suddenly able to remove the shrapnel and arc reactor, Gwyneth Paltrow regenerating (and her clothes also regenerating) into superwoman, the fact Stark suddenly had anxiety attacks. None of it worked for me. At all.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #865
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Audiences considered it a sequel to the $1.5 billion Avengers film, not Iron Man 2. Thor and Cap are also likely to get a substantial bump, though I would be surprised if they double the box office from the phase 1 films. If Singer and the OT cast can reverse the steady decline in the X franchise box office grosses, DOFP may have a similar positive effect on Wadlow's X-Force.
That's a good point: that it was regarded as an Avengers sequel. Let's see what happens with Thor 2 and Cap 2.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #866
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Foreign is up to $194million now, which is better than Origins and X2 and should end up better than First Class when all done.

Also has passed the $300 million mark milestone in total

HAWKEYE PUNISHER WOLVERINE WAR MACHINE

DREDD
Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #867
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Foreign is up to $194million now, which is better than Origins and X2 and should end up better than First Class when all done.

Was just about to post this . But here's the link:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolverine2.htm

On it's way to $400 million WW perhaps?

Also at this rate, it may end up better internationally than X3 (around $220 million or so).

Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #868
def28
Side-Kick

At 306 million ww. Nice

Passed up Pacific Rim all around.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #869
Snikt
Side-Kick

After all's said and done, I think The Wolverine will end up between Origins and X2 for WW numbers.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #870
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
After all's said and done, I think The Wolverine will end up between Origins and X2 for WW numbers.
Still has Japan to Open in too right?

I think it will beat X2's ww numbers. Not by much but I'm giving it the benefit.

Last edited by def28; 08-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #871
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Was just about to post this . But here's the link:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolverine2.htm

On it's way to $400 million WW perhaps?

Also at this rate, it may end up better internationally than X3 (around $220 million or so).
$400m might be a tad too high, as all those other films are about to hit foreign markets now, but its going to be too far off, I guess it depends if it can get a China release or not to get a late boost along with Japan.

Even so its going to end competing pretty well in terms of return on cost compared to other xmen films.

HAWKEYE PUNISHER WOLVERINE WAR MACHINE

DREDD
Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #872
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:

If thats right it is really kicking ass overseas.
63 million last week and another 40 million this week.

At that rate of decline its go another 50million in it not including Japan or China.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #873
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Still has Japan to Open in too right?

I think it will beat X2's ww numbers. Not by much but I'm giving it the benefit.
Correct. I believe it's opening in Japan in September. Should be a MAJOR boost. Considering the film's setting and a number of famous Japanese actors/models.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #874
Snikt
Side-Kick

I'm curious about China? How is it decided if it'll open in China? Does the film have to be approved by the censors to open in their country?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #875
mmaeric
Side-Kick

Quote:
$400m might be a tad too high, as all those other films are about to hit foreign markets now, but its going to be too far off, I guess it depends if it can get a China release or not to get a late boost along with Japan.

Even so its going to end competing pretty well in terms of return on cost compared to other xmen films.
I believe this is gonna be the first x-men film of the 6 to triple its budget in WW Gross since X-2.

Everyone complaining about it being a bomb and in reality it will triple its budget, something he last 3 X-men films has failed to that but still got sequels. Also, The Wolverine had product placment thats good for more $

Closed Thread