The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: How much will The Wolverine make world wide?
$100M 3 3.66%
$200M 5 6.10%
$300M 13 15.85%
$400M 38 46.34%
$500M 14 17.07%
$600M 6 7.32%
$700M 2 2.44%
$800M 0 0%
$900M 0 0%
$1 Billion 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #151
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Crowd report:
The theater I saw the movie in at 10pm on Thursday night was about 60% full. Generally all under the age of 35. There was like one 3D screening going on that night there besides the 2D one.
We had two 10:00 screenings. The 2D one was sold out. The 3D one (which I was at), was about 2/3 full.

The movie let out around 12:20, so the midnight shows had already started. Going by the look of the parking lot, it wasn't overly crowded, but busy, which was about what I was expecting.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #152
Kanon
Horseman of sleepyness

Quote:
the first outing, X-Men Origin: Wolverine earned a very good $179.9 million in 2009 but was for the most part met with tepid reactions.
Also, it leaked online, unfinished sfx, but in high quality, way before the opening in theaters. That had to hurt the box office.

The only thing that can hurt this movie is a bad taste left from Origins. And I don't think GA are that picky, and remember much of Origins after 4 years

Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #153
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I am curious to see how this will perform, if the movie will be too contemplative for the general audience.

Spill

Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #154
Kanon
Horseman of sleepyness

I was just checking, Origins opening adjusted is 93 mill. It opened in May, though.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #155
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

this film will perform well, i'm guessing it could make £500 million realistically

i think DOFP hype will help this film

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-26-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #156
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I'm not expecting any gangbusters box office this weekend, but I hope it will ultimately do well.

The fact that I haven't had to infract or ban anyone yet is a good sign for it's reception so far. I'm not even making that up, I think I infracted a dozen people the day Origins opened.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #157
narrows101
Side-Kick

First numbers in:

Quote:
Box Office Report: 'The Wolverine' Grosses Strong $4 Million Thursday Night
9:16 AM PDT 7/26/2013 by Pamela McClintock

The "X-Men" spinoff -- returning Hugh Jackman in the title role -- is on course to score one of the best openings of the summer season.

Fox and Marvel's The Wolverine earned a strong $4 million as it began rolling out in North America at 10 p.m. Thursday, looking to end a losing run for big-budget tentpoles.

The movie is on course to open in the $65 million to $70 million range domestically, one of the best showings of the summer. It should do even more business overseas, where it opens day-and-date in most of the world.

And, unlike other summer films, which opened at 7 p.m. Thursday, Wolverine didn't launch domestically until 10 p.m. Earlier this summer, World War Z grossed $3.6 million Thursday night on its way to a $66 million North American opening.

Wolverine was directed by James Mangold, with Hugh Jackman returning in the title role (the two worked together previously on the 2001 romantic adventure Kate & Leopold). The film opens four years after X-Men spinoff X-Men Origins: Wolverine played in theaters, opening to $85.1 million in early May and grossing $373.1 million worldwide.

Wolverine's long-term outcome should be boosted by strong reviews; X-Men Origins was roundly bashed by critics.

Set sometime after the events of X-Men: The Last Stand, Logan (Jackman) has renounced his superhero powers and is living as a recluse in the Yukon.

However, he's drawn back into the world when a Japanese man he once saved requests to become immortal. He also asks that Logan protect his granddaugther.

Fox spent just under $120 million to make Wolverine after tax rebates, a fairly reasonable number for a superhero pic.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...grosses-594068

Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #158
Superhero 101
DESI

Budget for the film is pretty small should be a nice profit for Fox

Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #159
narrows101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Friday Update #2: Early grosses indicate that The Wolverine is headed for $25 million on Friday, which would put it on pace for a $64 million debut frame.

The Wolverine will have no problem topping the $55.1 million debut of X-Men: First Class. It's clear that fans are slowly starting to forgive the franchise after being disappointed by 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand and 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This bodes well for 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past, an effort that will combine the new cast from First Class and the old cast from the original X-Men trilogy.

The Wolverine has solid word of mouth in its corner. The 20th Century Fox release boasts an 81% approval rating on Flixster, and a respectable 67% approval rating on RottenTomatoes.
http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news...ss-on-fandango

Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #160
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

I expected an opening in the 60's or 70's so this is right in line. Origins WILL take a bite out of it but not a huge one.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #161
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Forecast: 'Wolverine' To Go Berserk On Box Office This Weekend

Quote:
Friday AM Update: The Wolverine earned $4 million from late Thursday shows beginning at 10 p.m. That's a bit higher than World War Z and Pacific Rim, which both grossed $3.6 million from shows starting at 7 p.m. Among recent X-Men movies, it was in between X-Men: First Class ($3.37 million) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine ($5 million).

The X-Men comparison suggests that The Wolverine will wind up somewhere between $60 and $70 million for the weekend; however, if it played out like Pacific Rim, it would finish just above $40 million for the weekend.

Forecast: This weekend's only brand-new nationwide release is The Wolverine, which features Hugh Jackman once again reprising his star-making role as the titular immortal hero. Playing at 3,924 locations (3,063 of which will show it in 3D), the sixth X-Men movie should open to at least $60 million, which will easily be good for first place.

Meanwhile, The To-Do List opens in moderate release, while Sundance hits Fruitvale Station and The Way, Way Back expand nationwide. Finally, Woody Allen's latest, Blue Jasmine, opens in six theaters ahead of a likely nationwide expansion in August.

While the X-Men franchise has never reached top-tier comic book levels (Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, etc.), it has generally performed well at the box office. The high point so far is X-Men: The Last Stand, which concluded the original trilogy by earning $234.4 million in 2006.

The Wolverine isn't the first attempt at a stand-alone movie for the X-Men's most popular character: that honor belongs to 2009 prequel X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Despite a nearly complete version of the movie leaking online a month early, it still wound up opening to a strong $85.1 million on the first weekend of Summer 2009. Unfortunately, it was generally disliked (38 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, 6.7 on IMDb) and dropped off quickly before closing with $179.9 million.

Typically, when audiences aren't thrilled with a movie, they turn out in smaller numbers for its sequel. While that will likely be the case on The Wolverine's opening weekend, a handful of factors should mitigate that a bit. First, consumers have warmed up again towards the X-Men brand following 2011's well-received X-Men: First Class; there's also already a lot of excitement surrounding next Summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past.

It's also possible that the Wolverine character is so popular that one awful outing doesn't entirely sour audience. This could be referred to as the "James Bond" effect—Quantum of Solace was widely maligned, but Daniel Craig's incarnation of the legendary character was so well-liked that four years later Skyfall still set a new record for the franchise. While Wolverine doesn't have quite the same pop culture cache as James Bond, it is pretty clear that Jackman's version of the character is popular-enough to recover from one poor outing.

Fox has also executed a solid marketing campaign for The Wolverine. Previews suggest that the movie takes place after The Last Stand—always a positive to move the story forward—and clearly present Wolverine's struggles with his immortality. They also showcase the unique Japanese setting and the action that goes along with that, while hinting at a major showdown between Wolverine and the formidable Silver Samurai. Finally, the marketing has attempted to get audiences to forget about X-Men Origins: Wolverine by including a critic quote on most commercials that declares that this is the Wolverine movie people have been waiting for. And that might be true: the movie is currently at 65 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a noticeable improvement over Origins (38 percent).

It also helps that The Wolverine faces next-to-no competition. It's been a full five weeks since a live-action movie opened over $45 million (World War Z), and during that time a handful of would-be blockbusters have faltered. The Summer isn't over yet, and The Wolverine is well-positioned to fill the pent-up demand for big-budget spectacle.

Currently, distributor 20th Century Fox is expecting between $60 and $65 million for the weekend. Online ticket seller Fandango suggests the movie could open even higher; through the same point, The Wolverine is outselling X-Men: First Class by 39 percent, which would translate to a weekend around $75 million.

The Wolverine is also opening in around 60 foreign locations this weekend, including all major markets except Japan and China. With the addition of 3D and the international setting, it's likely that the movie tops X-Men Origins: Wolverine's $193 million total.
Quote:
Forecast (July 26-28)
The Wolverine - $72.5 million

Bar for Success
At a minimum, The Wolverine should be matching X-Men: First Class's attendance figures. With a slight boost for 3D ticket pricing, that translates to at least $60 million this weekend.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3705&p=.htm
God! I would be so damn happy if this film earns more than 70 million in the opening weekend!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 07-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #162
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Rth from BOF is saying Friday's look like 20.5-22 million.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #163
rayc1971
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
Budget for the film is pretty small should be a nice profit for Fox
yeah im surprised origins cost more than this so a 65mill opening weekend is good for this film it should grosss over its budget pretty easy

Old 07-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #164
Liam_H
Side-Kick

If that range holds the weekend figure might look something like $50-55M.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #165
lastairbender
Side-Kick

I was expecting more... maybe this time overseas numbers are stronger than before! It should make 120 domestic to cover its budget... I would hope for the movie to get more money than Origins, at leat 400... But it is a solid drop from Origins anyway!
and i still think its, again, Fox's fault.. bad marketing, period!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #166
narrows101
Side-Kick

Deadline:
Quote:
‘Wolverine’ $23M Friday, $61M Weekend By NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief |
Friday July 26, 2013 @ 10:06pm
FRIDAY 10 PM: Hugh Jackman. Wolverine. What more is there to say? Twentieth Century Fox couldn’t go wrong with that successful pairing. Full story coming…
http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/wolv...y-61m-weekend/

Meanwhile, Hugh tweets:

RealHughJackman Hugh Jackman 10h
Love seeing The Wolverine with the REAL fans #awesome #keepitreal #BuserkARage pic.twitter.com/a26q3fhVbO

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #167
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

If the official Friday estimate is 23 or under I honestly would be surprised if it does 60mil over the weekend. It all depends on that number. It's obvious that Origins hurt it but I don't think anyone is surprised that it did.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #168
narrows101
Side-Kick

Deadline:

Quote:
‘Wolverine’ Howls $23M Friday: But Will It Meet Expectations ($61M) or Lower ($55M) Than Expected
By NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief |
Friday July 26, 2013 @ 10:06pm

FRIDAY PM/SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Such a relief to only have one major new release Friday while I’m on vacation. Hugh Jackman. The Wolverine. ‘A-’ CinemaScore, no fresh competition. What more is there to say? Twentieth Century Fox couldn’t go wrong with this weekend’s #1 successful pairing. Or could it? My sources say this 6th X-Men installment opened in 3,924 theaters (3,063 in 3D) with $23M Friday, including that strong $4M from Thursday late shows beginning at 10 PM. Studio claims cost is under $120M after Australian tax credits. Fox now thinks ppic should make $61M through Sunday which is on the low side of the $60M-$65M originally forecast by the studio. But rival majors think $55M-$56M is the more realistic range right now - “a bit softer than many people thought it might be as the last Wolverine film opened to $85.1M.” And that was after X-Men Origins: Wolverine leaked online and wasn’t liked. It only received 38% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes vs 68% for this new one directed by James Mangold, scripted by credited screenwriters Mark Bomback and Scott Frank, and produced by Lauren Shuler Donner, Hutch Parker, and Jackman’s ex-partner John Palermo. But also remember that 2009 pic opened the first official week of summer and this franchise installment is releasing in the crowded 2013 midsummer marketplace where it’s been 5 weeks since a live-action movie opened over $45M and several tentpoles tanked. But I’m not yet prepared to declare this new pic sizzling or fizzling before the weekend plays out. Though it would be a shame to see Fox’s version of Jackman as the Marvel Wolverine played out. (Hugh seems to love it so.) Internationally, The Wolverine is expected to kill in 101 countries day and date (126 countries overall, on about 13,000 screens) including all major markets except Japan and China.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/wolv...y-61m-weekend/

Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #169
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I guess the box office for this doesn't have to be huge as the next X-Men's already in production. It may be that on order to see another solo Wolverine film we might need it to do the big bucks.

Anyone know the budget for this?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #170
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I really hope this does well, I really loved it.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #171
Liam_H
Side-Kick

With that Friday number, something like 21M 18M 15M for the weekend.

Spill

Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #172
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Saturday Update: Fox reports that The Wolverine grossed $21 million on Friday, including $4 million from Thursday night shows. Based on that figure, BoxOffice projects the Hugh Jackman sequel will bank $54 million over opening weekend.

Those numbers are solid especially at the tail end of a very busy summer, but The Wolverine is falling short of most expectations. By comparison, Captain America: The First Avenger debuted with a $25.7 million opening day as part of a strong $65.1 million weekend on the same weekend two summers ago.

More close to home, The Wolverine's first day take couldn't quite keep pace with the $21.4 million generated by X-Men: First Class--and that film didn't have 3D or large format theaters to boost ticket revenue.

Few expected this latest franchise entry to reach the $34.4 million opening day and $85.1 million weekend of 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but the 39 percent gross decline in first day business is notable given that it was the last time Wolverine led a film. In terms of estimated attendance on opening day, The Wolverine declined a massive estimated 50 percent from the 2009 prequel and marks the least-attended X-Men franchise film to date.

While it is likely that some fatigue is responsible for the softer demand (this is Wolvy's fifth turn as the lead character, after all), the good news is that word of mouth appears much stronger out of the gate for this entry. Flixster users currently give the film an 80 percent approval rating. On top of that, buzz for next year's X-Men: Days of Future Past has been steadily growing over the last few months as one of the most discussed films across social network platforms. Fans are clearly still excited for the future of the franchise, albeit with some cautious optimism. The Wolverine simply seems to have failed to connect with the general audience as strongly as previous series entries, likely thanks to the film's fan-centric premise (based on a popular comic book storyline) and a "been there, done that" vibe. Nevertheless, chalk up an otherwise solid opening to the enduring popularity of Jackman and his interpretation of the character.

Meanwhile, TWC's Fruitvale Station posted an impressive $1.45 million on Friday after expanding into 1,064 theaters. Buzz around the film continues to grow, especially in the wake of this week's news that its directing and acting team of Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan, respectively, will pair up for the Rocky spinoff, Creed. BoxOffice projects a $4.5 million weekend for Fruitvale Station. Word of mouth should continue to spread as one of 2013's early Oscar buzz generators.
Good and bad news. Mostly bad. At least it's not flopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Anyone know the budget for this?
$115-120m.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #173
PoSeiDon
Side-Kick

The trend of the summer. Lots of movies went down this summer.

But, I'm not sure I care about box office anymore. I know it means sequels but I film making 50 mil is not a bad thing to me. Or maybe the studios should stop spending 150 mil+ on some movies. If the critics generally like it, and it makes back it budgets, good deal in my book.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #174
Mr. Dent
Banned User

The opening for this film is good. It's budget was only around $115m. It should make around $150m domestically and internationally $250m may be possible.

But, the most important movies to us did the best this summer, IM3 and MoS, so it's all good.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #175
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

It's looking like a bit of a mixed bag all round...

It's going to be a lower opening than I was hoping for but if it scrapes into the lower 50's at least it will have done better than most of the big budget disasters this July.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Last edited by Pfeiffer-Pfan; 07-27-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Closed Thread