regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: The Man of Steel Merchandise Thread - Part 1

Hah! Pretty awesome.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #702
sabetoonth
Where You Get Those Eyes?

So I tried Target, TRU and Shopko today. The first wave or whatever, Superman, Zod and Jor El were all at Shopko, but those SOBs wanted 25 bucks a piece for them. Not a chance am I going figure hunting there again.

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #703
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardshiro View Post
Are new Movie Masters figures? Where did you find?
Yep it's the Movie Masters. I haven't personally found one yet though

Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #704
EL-June1216
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Yep it's the Movie Masters. I haven't personally found one yet though
They could be found at some WM, TRU or Targets...WM was supposed to have them out on May 1st, my WM didnt have anything but the little kiddy superman figures but 2 WM about 34 mins from did...and my girlfriend got me Supes from there. I was lucky enough to get Jor-el and Zod from Target they have them stocked in the back room ready to sell on May 26th but some have them marked down for April 28th which is how I got them last Thursday. But good luck, I hope you guys find them

Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #705
Metropolis_Man
Collectin' ain't easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
How does something this cool of which I'm assuming is a Movie Master in it's early stage...

...end up looking like a Happy Meal toy?

Well if I can chime in here, the two don't look all that different. I bought the final released figure and it resembles nothing of a happy meal toy. It has a lot of fine detail and is honestly sculpted really well with a lot of great articulation. It looks much better than the TDK(R) and Green Lantern Movie Masters figures, at least to me. I think the pictures on here just don't give you a fair idea of how it looks in person.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #706
sabetoonth

Anyone else miss MMs having ab crunches?

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Avvy by Kane52630
Old 05-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #707
Metropolis_Man
Collectin' ain't easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabetoonth View Post
Anyone else miss MMs having ab crunches?
Ah yeah, didn't even notice it was missing until you mentioned it just now. Would be nice to have on there for sure.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #708
sabetoonth

I noticed it was missing on the GL MMs, at least Hal's. It might be alright if there was some kind of trunk joint but we're not really getting anything but a cut waist.

And they really do look better in person than these pics lead on.

Avvy by Kane52630
Old 05-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #709
Emgr55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis_Man View Post
Well if I can chime in here, the two don't look all that different. I bought the final released figure and it resembles nothing of a happy meal toy. It has a lot of fine detail and is honestly sculpted really well with a lot of great articulation. It looks much better than the TDK(R) and Green Lantern Movie Masters figures, at least to me. I think the pictures on here just don't give you a fair idea of how it looks in person.
The first pic looks anazingly good but the second pic i took and i was dissapointed in the scuplt of the MM this time.
I almost collected all the Batman MM and i do feel the Bats Mm lokks way better in side by side comparison.
I really hope the next few waves come out looking better.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #710
Metropolis_Man
Collectin' ain't easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emgr55 View Post
The first pic looks anazingly good but the second pic i took and i was dissapointed in the scuplt of the MM this time.
I almost collected all the Batman MM and i do feel the Bats Mm lokks way better in side by side comparison.
I really hope the next few waves come out looking better.
The early pics of that armored Zod look pretty awesome, so I hope it turns out that way in the finished product. I also love that the helmet comes off and you can pose him either way. His armored version looks a lot better than the regular one.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #711
Darkness Falls
Do Try To Keep Up.....

love seeing all these pics of the movie masters superman, can't wait til mine arrives in the mail, it looks great

Better Call Saul
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #712
zim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsnCats View Post
You people that think these look like happy meal toys clearly haven't seen the 4" ones in person.. It's a mass RETAIL figure people. It's not Hot Toys or medicom. It's a $16 retail action figure... Gezze....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan21484nj View Post
Yeah, what exactly were you expecting for that price point? That first pic seems to be a "finished prototype" pic. The figure used in that pic was probably endless toiled over by a designer until it looked perfect. The final products we get in stores are that design but put into many molds and probably by machine on a production line. Each one isn't painstakingly hand-crafted until it's a 100% precise match for the finished prototype.

I like the Movie Masters because they're more movie-accurate than most mass-produced action figures made from a film property, and they're not rinky-dink small, so they lend themselves to better detail. Granted, they're not 100% in the likeness all the time, but for 16 bucks, they're very good. If you want accuracy down to the pores and money isn't an issue, Hot Toys is your best option.

Love the passion but both arguments hold no water. Perhaps you are not familiar with action figures made by the following companies: NECA, Mezco, McFarlane, Toynami, Bandai, DC Direct now DC Collectibles, just to name a few. All of these companies have produced stellar action figures in the 3.75"-6" scale and under $20 covering movies, tv shows and comics. Their sculpting and paint apps are dead on (with some exceptions after 2004 with plastics and paint apps).

I will agree that thier quality has been dropping since 2004 and the plastic getting cheaper but their sculpts are great. All of these under $20. Price does not matter, sculpting skills do. Even the first dark knight movie master figures were $12.50 and were pretty well made like movie masters joker. However, let's just keep the argument confined to Mattel. The TDKR figures were pretty awesome both in 3.75 and 6" scales. That 3.75" target box set had some pretty well done figures of bane ,batman and catwoman and were under $5 each. The GL 3.75" and 6" figures were also not bad. Yes paint issues aside they looked pretty good. Then their is the DCUC line, and unlimited lines and a lot of other action figures that they made that were pretty awesome. There is also Justice League unlimited figures that sold for $4.99 for some time. These figures were so well made that you could buy them online and not worry. Quality on these went downhill after they became Target exclusive.

Comparing these MOS figures in both scales with their other Mattel and other companies offerings clearly illustrates how inferior they are. The figure stands they included are so cheap looking. Look at the figure stands that DC Direct/ DCC put out and even compared to ones put out previously by mattel themselves.

So yeah, we can expect movie master figures to be well made regardless of price, because the movie masters brand is for figures that set a new benchmark in mass market action figures. These failed to meet that benchmark. Let's not also put down happy meal toys. As some some of them are pretty well made also and some are terrible.

Last edited by zim; 05-06-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #713
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

that initial prototype wasn't accurate,though:

1) his suit isn't that light of a shade of blue.
2) it was missing all the texture.

so it was always going to have to be different.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #714
BatsnCats
Side-Kick

I'd like for you to know that all the new 52 DCC figures are past $20.. Oh and the 3.75" injustice figures? They're complete trash, awful paint apps and stuck joints. Also $30 each set. Sent mine back right where they came from.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #715
Superhero 101
DESI

Got my superman mm great figure not liking the cape though

Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #716
Emgr55
Side-Kick

I think they should have a head sculpt recall,shoot the Christan Bale head never looked this goofy even from the first ones that were released.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #717
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Has there been any official word on Hot Toys yet? I think that's definitely the one worth waiting for. At least for me.

Also, has anyone seen any of the posters that could be seen in that Wal-Mart mock-up display a few weeks back? There was one of Supes that looked fantastic!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #718
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I checked my local Target the other day and they still didn't have anything I'm hoping this week sometime.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #719
TheIntersect

picked up a Zod and Superman movie masters yesterday
wondering why the top left of mine say 4+ and not Adult Collector, maybe a Canadian thing?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #720
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I checked my local Target the other day and they still didn't have anything I'm hoping this week sometime.
I would call them or ask someone in-store when they're going to put stuff out. I know some folks on here have had luck with their local Targets, but I called one of mine and they said they aren't putting theirs out until early June.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #721
Nemesis243
Comic Book Fanatic

For anyone having trouble finding the figures in stores Toys R Us' website has Superman, Jor-El, and Zod in stock. I ordered a set for me. Here are the links to them.

Superman
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=19273426

Jor-El
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=19273666

Zod
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=19273456

Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #722
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

I scored a MM Superman figure Sunday evening at my local Walmart. They had Zod and Jor-El in stock as well, but I just didn't have the extra cash on me at the time. Thinking about going back there today to see if I can get them.

Looks like they just started stocking Man of Steel merchandise there. The toy section had two columns of figures and a kids Superman costume. Maybe I just got lucky.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #723
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis243 View Post
For anyone having trouble finding the figures in stores Toys R Us' website has Superman, Jor-El, and Zod in stock. I ordered a set for me. Here are the links to them.

Superman
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=19273426

Jor-El
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=19273666

Zod
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=19273456
yeesh, one is still paying $30 with sales tax and shipping and handling in the United States... WTH!?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #724
Darkness Falls
Do Try To Keep Up.....

the local toys r us didn't have the movie masters but they did have the power attack ones.... what is the zod one holding ? They look like metal chocolate ice blocks

Better Call Saul
Old 05-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #725
zim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsnCats View Post
I'd like for you to know that all the new 52 DCC figures are past $20.. Oh and the 3.75" injustice figures? They're complete trash, awful paint apps and stuck joints. Also $30 each set. Sent mine back right where they came from.

Depends on were you buy the new 52 figs, i get them for $18 each at my LCBS. I agree about the injustice figures. Over priced!! And yeah i noticed the quality is not as it used to be. But its $30 for a 2 pack so $15 each. However, that was not my point. My point was it comes down to sculpting and materials used of which Mattel has put out some really decent stuff as has other companies like NECA, MEZCO, etc. But Mattel failed to meet the benchmark of what the movie masters brand represents with the MOS stuff.

Anyway, what difference does it make what i think, i'm a nobody on a board with just one opinion who tries to help out my fellow boardies as much as i can. if it makes you happy more power to you, after all you worked real hard for that money and are free to spend it where or on what you like.

I just worry that if we accept less then the benchmark it hurts us all, as american toy manufacturers will keep giving us less quality, higher price and keep pocketing the profits. It justs seems like day by day we seem to be accepting and even worse defending mediocrity when we should be pushing for innovation. The power is ours as consumers because without us they make nothing. Unless we collective speak up, demand quality at a fair price and keep them honest, they will continue to give us less, with lower quality and keep jacking up the price.

This is the true power of boards like this, were we come together as a community and speak out. Zim has left the soapbox.

Last edited by zim; 05-08-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Closed Thread