The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #101
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Default Re: 2013 Major League Baseball Thread: Swing for the fence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
The ruling on the field or the ruling afterwards?

If its true the umpires don't get the same replay angles as we see on TV then the system is quite broken.
The fact that they looked at it, but said it wasn't a HR, but then MLB came out and said it was but they couldn't change it because it was a "judgment call", that's what I don't like. How is it a judgment call if everyone is saying the ball went over the fence?

And I agree, if we the viewer can see the replay from all angles, so should the umps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There should be no replay in baseball. There, I said it.
Same here, except I'd include it for all sports. I mean, I'm all for getting the call right, but I hate how there are still loopholes that would allow umps and refs to go refer to a replay, yet make them unable to make certain calls just given the circumstances. I mean, what's the point of having a replay if you can't fully apply it.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #102
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
The fact that they looked at it, but said it wasn't a HR, but then MLB came out and said it was but they couldn't change it because it was a "judgment call", that's what I don't like. How is it a judgment call if everyone is saying the ball went over the fence?
They're not changing it because no matter how obvious its still a subjective call, just like balls and strikes. As far as I know MLB doesn't have a rule in place that allows them to overturn such calls. They can only change something if the umpires went against a rule or implemented a rule incorrectly. They haven't done it in the pass with the blown perfect game so they shouldn't start doing it unless they change their policy.

Spill

Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #103
jacobed
Banned User

They should never change it. No sport should ever do that. Undermines its officials. They made a mistake it happens. Gotta suck it up and move on there's still like 120 games to go.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #104
jacobed
Banned User

After 4 games in Boston I have learned: Boston not as good as record shows, Buccholz definitely was cheating no glistening on his arm Twins rocked him, Dustin Pedoria without a doubt one of the biggest babies in baseball

Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #105
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
They're not changing it because no matter how obvious its still a subjective call, just like balls and strikes. As far as I know MLB doesn't have a rule in place that allows them to overturn such calls. They can only change something if the umpires went against a rule or implemented a rule incorrectly. They haven't done it in the pass with the blown perfect game so they shouldn't start doing it unless they change their policy.
How is it a subjective call though. The rule is if the ball goes over the fence, then it is a HR. Joe Torre even said the incorrect call was made, and their goal is to get the call right. It just seems hypocritical because he's saying "we made a mistake and we want to make sure we fix that mistake, but we're not going to fix it in this case."

I agree that it would go against their precedent, but it just proves that the system is flawed. I truly believe that had the score been 10-0, they might've given the player the HR since it wouldn't have made much difference. But the fact that it would have been a different ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
They should never change it. No sport should ever do that. Undermines its officials. They made a mistake it happens. Gotta suck it up and move on there's still like 120 games to go.
I agree, but replay is already doing that, which I why I don't think they need it. If the goal of replay is to make sue you get the right call, and you go to replay and acknowledge that you made the wrong call but will not change it, it just makes everyone and everything involved look bad and lose credibility. Bad enough the umps in baseball already have a reputation of being the worst and trying to steal the spotlight.

But the same thing happened in that Seahawks/Packers game this past season where the replacement refs got the call wrong and cost the Packers a game, and that one call was obviously the big reason why the NFL ended the refs lockout because they know how much more that call affected fans who bet on game and the playoff picture overall. They didn't change the call, but they changed the system they used.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #106
jacobed
Banned User

You can't change it, no sport will ever do that ever. The NFL didn't change any system they used. They just stopped being greedy and gave the refs what they deserved. And by the way the replay official in that Packer/Seahawks game, the one in charge of making the right call was a full time NFL employed official, he was not a replacement. So NFL didn't change anything, I don't even think they acknowledged it.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #107
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
How is it a subjective call though. The rule is if the ball goes over the fence, then it is a HR. Joe Torre even said the incorrect call was made, and their goal is to get the call right. It just seems hypocritical because he's saying "we made a mistake and we want to make sure we fix that mistake, but we're not going to fix it in this case."

I agree that it would go against their precedent, but it just proves that the system is flawed. I truly believe that had the score been 10-0, they might've given the player the HR since it wouldn't have made much difference. But the fact that it would have been a different ball game.
Again no matter how wrong it may seem the umpire's judgement at the time was that it wasn't a home run. For some reason he thought it didn't go over the fence. That's the 'judgement' in question. To fix this they just have to try to get the call right as best they can within the game.

Spill

Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #108
jacobed
Banned User

Agreed just as it is in every sport. That'll never change and there's no point in crying. That ump however needs to be fired. It takes a quick look at the replay to see its an obvious home run.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #109
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Completely forgot to see if there was a baseball thread. I've been so busy the last few months with grad school. Plus the Mets suck except for when Matt Harvey pitches.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #110
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Completely forgot to see if there was a baseball thread. I've been so busy the last few months with grad school. Plus the Mets suck except for when Matt Harvey pitches.
Wonder if Collins will make it through the season.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 05-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #111
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

He will. There's no point to making the change when the expectations this season were not that high to begin with. They're paying him for this year, might as well keep him around unless something crazy happens like a players revolt in the clubhouse. Wait until the off-season and see what the manager options look like then.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #112
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Can you spot what's wrong with this graphic from a Royals broadcast?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...142559444.html

Old 05-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #113
Poeman
Banned User

OMG hahahah there is so many problems there.

Starting with them getting every team for each player wrong. LOL MATT JONES is some white cubs player.

Bryce Hunter haha

Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #114
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
He will. There's no point to making the change when the expectations this season were not that high to begin with. They're paying him for this year, might as well keep him around unless something crazy happens like a players revolt in the clubhouse. Wait until the off-season and see what the manager options look like then.
The team is already in their second-half form of falling apart. They'll probably keep him until after the All-Star game since they don't want to go into that with a story of having just fired their manager.

However, he's been pretty terrible and hasn't lived up to the expectations. This team was never going to win 85+ games with him, but they have been inconsistent. Their second halfs have been awful the past two years. Last year, they won about 4 home games over 6 weeks. There's no accountability with the team, he plays favorites with the team, doesn't give guys playing time based on production. He was supposed to preach fundamentals but that's been a failure, there were games when pitchers didn't cover home or guys misplaying. Then he had his blow-up a couple weeks ago when he said he doesn't answer to the fans when there was the issue of Valdespin (who he clearly dislikes but has no reason to not play over Rick Ankiel or Marlon Byrd). Yesterday he took Hefner (who has yet to win a game) out early to prevent him from losing. I don't care if he isn't fired, but he hasn't done anything to deserve being the manager next year.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #115
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Can you spot what's wrong with this graphic from a Royals broadcast?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...142559444.html
Maybe it's a prophecy?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #116
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Last night was the first time in Mariano Rivera's career that he blew a save without a retiring a hitter.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #117
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

There's a first time for everything, even when you're 43.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #118
Liam_H
Side-Kick

It would seem surprising but then again the man doesn't blow many saves to begin with.

Spill

Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #119
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Does anyone know why the Yankees are playing the Mets in Yankee Stadium after playing two games at Citi Field? I didn't catch any of the coverage at the start of the game, and me and my family were having a big debate about it because I there was a lot of traffic on the train coming to my house and I wasn't expecting it to be from the game. It just seems so weird to switch home field advantage like that in the middle of a series.

EDIT: Never mind, I just realized that its a set of two games, so they're separate series. This new scheduling has really been weird.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #120
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I think he has around 75 blown saves in his career out of 700 save opportunities. Not bad for a 20yr career.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #121
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Does anyone know why the Yankees are playing the Mets in Yankee Stadium after playing two games at Citi Field? I didn't catch any of the coverage at the start of the game, and me and my family were having a big debate about it because I there was a lot of traffic on the train coming to my house and I wasn't expecting it to be from the game. It just seems so weird to switch home field advantage like that in the middle of a series.
Because it's not one series. It's two 2 game series played back to back. It's stupid because the two 3 games series have always had huge attendance numbers and MLB has a major attendance problem these days.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #122
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Because it's not one series. It's two 2 game series played back to back. It's stupid because the two 3 games series have always had huge attendance numbers and MLB has a major attendance problem these days.
Yeah, I realized that shortly after I made that post. But I agree, it really is dumb. Normally the Subway Series and other inter "city" series) are played on the weekend, but these games are spread out during the week, which makes no sense. I heard Monday's game had a really low attendance, and its obvious why, since weekend games always draw larger crowds because people don't have work or school to worry about.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #123
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Doing it Mon to Thurs is downright stupid. It should have been a wrap-around series, Friday to Monday on Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #124
Poeman
Banned User

Bud selig is a dumbass

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #125
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
They do?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_mlb&c_id=mlb