The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Default Avengers A.I.

LINK

Oh, look, they're actually using a Runaways character.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Default Re: Avengers A.I.

Aren't some of them getting killed in Avengers Arena?

Donnie Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

yeah, looks somewhat interesting but not really interesting enough to follow.

meanwhile no, New Warriors, H4H, silver surfer, or Ghost Rider

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

Ugh, I love Hank Pym and Vision but enough is enough already with the Avengers books! I'm already buying all of them except Secret, I can't take on another. Not only does it spin out off Age of Ultron, which I could care less about, but the name Sam Humphries doesn't exactly light a fire under my ass to get me to run out and buy it.

PASS.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Yeah , Humphries was really disappointing for me on Ultimates

Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I bet this will only be an Avengers book in name. I doubt they will actually call themselves Avengers. Seems more like an Avengers Arena or New Avengers situation to me, where they just use the branding to support sales.

I'm interested enough to give the first couple issues a chance and see if it catches me. This will obviously lead to some major events down the road if Marvel is planning on using A.I.s as major threats in the Marvel U from now on. I'm always for Marvel expanding further into hard sci-fi territory as well.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Havok83
Side-Kick

Oh jeez, ANOTHER Avengers title?

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

All of Marvel will be Avengers-related at some point.

The X-Men will be no more. Say hello to Avengers: Mutants.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
All of Marvel will be Avengers-related at some point.

The X-Men will be no more. Say hello to Avengers: Mutants.
heck it seems they are heading in that direction with Uncanny Avengers...lol. I wont be surprised if a future title is X-Avengers

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
shiva666
art designer

Might as well just call it avengers universe... 616

Last edited by shiva666; 03-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

So a lot of support for the title around these parts, huh?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Donnie Darko

I honestly feel like the Avengers branding has become about as shameless as X-Men. I don't know why New Avengers bothers me so much. I guess it is because they are just using the title from a previous popular book to sell a title with a completely different concept. I think I would give Avengers: Illuminati a pass, though.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Avengers is way too over exposed currently.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I think if the Marvel execs had their way Marvel would just be Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and Wolverine related books.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I think if the Marvel execs had their way Marvel would just be Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and Wolverine related books.
They already got their way. It was called the 1990's.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Donnie Darko

Hey... They also had a whole onslaught of Punisher books.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
yeah, looks somewhat interesting but not really interesting enough to follow.

meanwhile no, New Warriors, H4H, silver surfer, or Ghost Rider
Books that do nothing but fail and fail again. I'm up for trying something a little different for once.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
Books that do nothing but fail and fail again. I'm up for trying something a little different for once.
Because the attempts to relaunch them sucked. NW has a near 100 issue run it was successful for years, same with the others..they can work if done right..they have not been done right. They have core cult followings..which are a great base for launches.

..but Marvel has a great system worked out, stick some profound title on a book, with the Avengers or X preface, let it debut for 80k sales and let it dwindle to 17k in 4 months then cancel...it's probably a more sound approach than throwing out a NW or RR Nova book that if done right will debut at 50-60k and have stable sales in the 30k range for several years.

Last edited by THANOSRULES; 03-30-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Donnie Darko

You know what this team needs? A Sentinel to go along with the Doombot.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Because the attempts to relaunch them sucked. NW has a near 100 issue run it was successful for years, same with the others..they can work if done right..they have not been done right. They have core cult followings..which are a great base for launches.

..but Marvel has a great system worked out, stick some profound title on a book, with the Avengers or X preface, let it debut for 80k sales and let it dwindle to 17k in 4 months then cancel...it's probably a more sound approach than throwing out a NW or RR Nova book that if done right will debut at 50-60k and have stable sales in the 30k range for several years.
The fact that NW and Nova have failed 4 times each (or so...i've lost count) tells me there IS no way they can be "done right" these days. They're B list characters at best, who have run their course. I like them, don't get me wrong. I also like Red Wolf, and Sons of The Tiger, and a bunch of other B list characters, but none of them would last very long in today's market. Same as the other characters you originally mentioned, unfortunately.

Last edited by Kirk Langstrom; 03-30-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Kirk Langstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

This really feels like stretching the Avengers brand out a bit much. Marvel should be treating the Avengers brand more like the way DC treats the Justice League brand. At least the Justice League books feel like actual Justice League teams.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Avengers A.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
This really feels like stretching the Avengers brand out a bit much. Marvel should be treating the Avengers brand more like the way DC treats the Justice League brand. At least the Justice League books feel like actual Justice League teams.
The dilemma is this would betray Marvel's editorial policy in regards to utilizing a "hot" brand. I believe the technical corporate term for it is, "Milk It Like A Crack Addict 'Till You Can't." Marvel has always done this with any of their brands that got hot, for decades, and it isn't changing now.

After all, once upon a time anything with Spider-Man's name on it sold like hotcakes, so at one point he had about 4 ongoing's plus spare one-shots and spin-off's (Punisher, Venom, Silver Sable, Morbius, even Nightwatch) and even in the late 90's NEW WARRIORS of all comics was considered a Spider-Man spin off because Scarlet Spider joined the team for a few issues. They milked it until it was dry and then had to climb back up.

The X-Men are a more drastic example. Even as recently as a few years ago Marvel looked for any excuse to slap X-MEN on the title of something. And the result? Milked it dry and then it needed more reboots and ultimately to be merged with something else. Even the X-Men spin off Wolverine got milked one ongoing too far at one point and he's never sold the same since. Deadpool got hot and instead of just maintain him, Marvel went all in like a gambler on acid 'shrooms and spammed out FIVE ongoing titles atop of guest shots and one-shots and mini's until everyone was tired of him. And thus, Marvel will repeat themselves with the Avengers. They will stretch that brand until it snaps and then wonder why.

In fairness, DC is little better with Batman. And they've quickly reached 3 JL titles.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
The fact that NW and Nova have failed 4 times each (or so...i've lost count) tells me there IS no way they can be "done right" these days. They're B list characters at best, who have run their course. I like them, don't get me wrong. I also like Red Wolf, and Sons of The Tiger, and a bunch of other B list characters, but none of them would last very long in today's market. Same as the other characters you originally mentioned, unfortunately.
Clearly, the White Tiger and Red Wolf are antagonistic trolling comments to an other wise civil thread..i'd humor you with an informed response, but I dont think there is much value in that.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
The dilemma is this would betray Marvel's editorial policy in regards to utilizing a "hot" brand. I believe the technical corporate term for it is, "Milk It Like A Crack Addict 'Till You Can't." Marvel has always done this with any of their brands that got hot, for decades, and it isn't changing now.

After all, once upon a time anything with Spider-Man's name on it sold like hotcakes, so at one point he had about 4 ongoing's plus spare one-shots and spin-off's (Punisher, Venom, Silver Sable, Morbius, even Nightwatch) and even in the late 90's NEW WARRIORS of all comics was considered a Spider-Man spin off because Scarlet Spider joined the team for a few issues. They milked it until it was dry and then had to climb back up.

The X-Men are a more drastic example. Even as recently as a few years ago Marvel looked for any excuse to slap X-MEN on the title of something. And the result? Milked it dry and then it needed more reboots and ultimately to be merged with something else. Even the X-Men spin off Wolverine got milked one ongoing too far at one point and he's never sold the same since. Deadpool got hot and instead of just maintain him, Marvel went all in like a gambler on acid 'shrooms and spammed out FIVE ongoing titles atop of guest shots and one-shots and mini's until everyone was tired of him. And thus, Marvel will repeat themselves with the Avengers. They will stretch that brand until it snaps and then wonder why.

In fairness, DC is little better with Batman. And they've quickly reached 3 JL titles.
DC has shown some editorial guts though...I mean Vodoo and Mr.Terrific Ongoings? Firm commitments to low sellers like Stormwatch, where they have a book that should and has worked(in the past), so instead of cancel they bring in some new talent to spice things up.

Yeah, DC will cancel a book here and there, but the threshold is a little more reasonable.

Let's remember that NOVA Vol . 4 was canceled selling in the Mid 20K range...bringing a guy like LOEB or WAID on to that book and picking up could have easily boosted it to a solid range.

Last edited by THANOSRULES; 03-30-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Clearly, the White Tiger and Red Wolf are antagonistic trolling comments to an other wise civil thread..i'd humor you with an informed response, but I dont think there is much value in that.
No, they were actually legitimate comments. Red Wolf, and SONS of the Tiger. (White Tiger didnt come along until much later). And again; i was a big fan of both.