The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Which movie is Better??
Avengers 43 44.79%
Cap 2 53 55.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Shazam
Side-Kick

Default Is Cap 2 Better than Avengers??

Absolutely.......There was not one part in the movie where I was not expecting something. Moral conflict, excellent fights and car chases........twists and turns, culture (recuperating to Marvin Gaye??) Wow......what a touch.....

Avengers gets high marks for beng a "first". But the story was predictable.....and a huge part was the NY battle....

Cap was a well written film.....

Last edited by Shazam; 04-12-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Cap 2 Better than Avengers??

I rate them the same (9.5) but I think Cap 2 was a better made movie.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

If it is a question of picking between the two, I'd take TWS. Thankfully I don't have to do that.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Too close for me to call.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

IM3 for me

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
IM3 for me

Old 04-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

In a word, no. Though it's very close but then so was the last Cap movie to the Avengers. Still, it's IM1 for me.

Now CA:TFA against CA:TWS? That one is too close to call so I gave them both a 9/10

With proper execution, ANY movie idea can work.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Cap is my favorite superhero movie.

Better than the Avengers? I don't know that you can compare them like that. At least, I can't. I can't really say one is better than the other; the fact that the Avengers was about all these big-time heroes coming together in one epic movie has a certain charm about it, and nothing will be able to top that except another Avengers movie.

On the other hand, Cap had better action, tone, characters, and I liked the 'grounded' take on it (a nice break from aliens, science-fiction, and Norse Gods). It wasn't really a superhero movie to me, it was more like a thrilling action-adventure movie about a Man out of Time.

Assuming I had to choose which one I wanted to watch for the rest of my life, I'd choose Cap 2.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
IM3 for me

Right now, I'd say Avengers. I'd like to give them both a look when TWS hits home video, though.

Visualiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
yllum
Side-Kick

my vote goes to cap!
imo cap has

1. better story!
2. better fight scenes! ( really i feel that way )
3. much more emotional ( peggy and bucky - steve )

i watch avengers in cinema 4 times.. the 4 time i watch it i feel a bit bored of it.
( and i don't really like the first 30 mins of avengers )

i watch cap:ws 5 times already! and it is still awesome!

yllum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
UltraSuperGuy
Side-Kick

very reluctantly, I said Avengers.

UltraSuperGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Can't choose between the two really. Both a 9.5, both great in their own ways.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Lorus
Side-Kick

The hand to hand combat is probably the only thing I'd give the Winter Soldier over the Avengers. That's not to take anything away from Cap, I just think Avengers handles all its moving parts much more deftly. Given that Cap was labelled 'Avengers 1.5' by a few before release, I think it's fair to compare the two based on how they treat the ensemble and Avengers definitely has the edge there, not to mention that great Whedon dialogue.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Both are great films ..... but one is the grand spectacle with years worth of pent up anticipation leading up to it, while the other is a tighter film (i.e. CA:TWS).

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Lorus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Both are great films ..... but one is the grand spectacle with years worth of pent up anticipation leading up to it, while the other is a tighter film (i.e. CA:TWS).
I'm curious to know where you think Avengers could do with tightening up, to me it seems almost brutally utilitarian.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

I love both movies,but Captain America felt like a better movie.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
I'm curious to know where you think Avengers could do with tightening up, to me it seems almost brutally utilitarian.
I thought it was a bit disjointed early on and I wasn't a fan of the prologue, as I generally find them to be lazy story-telling. It came off as "Oh we don't have time to catch you up with Loki, so we'll just give a quick brushover". When I watch the movie now, I commonly find myself fast forwarding to after the opening title sequence.

The movie really shines once the mexican standoff takes place in the woods and then they get aboard the Hellicarrier.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Avengers.

Frankly,I even liked The First Avenger better,but that might just be the fact that I tend to like all origin films better than their sequels.(with rare exceptions)

I will say,of all the Marvel sequels,this one doesn't feel dependent on Avengers.You could go from TFA straight to this one and it still works very well.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
yllum
Side-Kick

Quote:
When I watch the movie now, I commonly find myself fast forwarding to after the opening title sequence.

The movie really shines once the mexican standoff takes place in the woods and then they get aboard the Hellicarrier.
I do that too!! I will fast foward and start at the part where black widow was tied to a chair.

yllum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_hythlodeus View Post
im3 for me
lol

Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #21
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
Cap is my favorite superhero movie.

Better than the Avengers? I don't know that you can compare them like that. At least, I can't. I can't really say one is better than the other; the fact that the Avengers was about all these big-time heroes coming together in one epic movie has a certain charm about it, and nothing will be able to top that except another Avengers movie.

On the other hand, Cap had better action, tone, characters, and I liked the 'grounded' take on it (a nice break from aliens, science-fiction, and Norse Gods). It wasn't really a superhero movie to me, it was more like a thrilling action-adventure movie about a Man out of Time.

Assuming I had to choose which one I wanted to watch for the rest of my life, I'd choose Cap 2.

Then wouldn't that answer the "which is better" question.....
That's VERY high praise! The rest of your life??

And I feel the same way........The Fury SUV scene and the elevator were worth the price of admission alone!

Old 04-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #22
Lorus
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought it was a bit disjointed early on and I wasn't a fan of the prologue, as I generally find them to be lazy story-telling. It came off as "Oh we don't have time to catch you up with Loki, so we'll just give a quick brushover". When I watch the movie now, I commonly find myself fast forwarding to after the opening title sequence.

While I can agree that the prologue is probably the weakest part of the film, I still think it lays a lot of important groundwork (setting up Hawkeye's character and thematic arc, giving us an insight into Loki's character etc) in a fairly short time. It's pretty efficient in that regard. I can see where you're coming from, but I think Winter Soldier would benefit more than Avengers with some extra streamlining.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #23
Marvel
Side-Kick

Without question the best two genre films in history but Avengers still holds the crown.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
While I can agree that the prologue is probably the weakest part of the film, I still think it lays a lot of important groundwork (setting up Hawkeye's character and thematic arc, giving us an insight into Loki's character etc) in a fairly short time. It's pretty efficient in that regard. I can see where you're coming from, but I think Winter Soldier would benefit more than Avengers with some extra streamlining.
We already knew who Loki's character was though, that's why I wish they would've spent some time showing how he arrived at the doorstop of The Other and Thanos instead of the cliff note treatment .... i.e. "Here's this strange guy, here's Loki, here's the staff". That is much the same way I felt about Thor's entrance as well (as cool as it looked visually).

Hawkeye didn't have an arc so much as he was simply under a spell for the vast majority of the movie.

By streamlining what do you mean? Btw, I don't want anyone to misconstrue my comments about The Avengers. I still love the movie to death.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #25
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Winter Soldier by a significant margin.

I like The Avengers, but at times it felt a bit soulless to me. It's got some great character moments yes, particularly when it comes to Loki (who actually makes the movie), but for the most part it's just a big thrill ride. A well made thrill ride though. Joss Whedon directs the action competently, but it's kind of bland at times. But better that than 'assault on the senses' Michael Bay approach.

Winter Soldier on the other hand, is hands down the best movie Marvel Studios has produced. It nails the atmosphere of a spy thriller with great precision. There's a palpable feeling of tension and paranoia throughout most of the movie that really has the audience on the edge of their seats. That's not to mention the great action scenes the Russo brothers have crafted that have you wondering whether the heroes (as super as they are) can get away unscathed. There's not a wasted character in the film, everyone has their place within the plot and contribute to the advancement of it. And the humor, unlike that of Iron Man 3 and Thor The Dark World, doesn't dominate the proceedings.

So yeah. Winter Soldier is better than The Avengers IMO.

horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote