The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #276
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Default Re: What's your worst fear regarding MOS?

My worst fear is introducing some new rebooted Batman/Gotham/Wayne

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #277
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I doubt that will happen the first time around .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #278
Transcended
Gunning for Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi View Post
4. I'm worried about the flying scenes where he does that little scream and he looks like he's straining to take a dump. I'm a little concerned where I read Synder say we have a new take on him flying and its "difficult" for him to fly. Uh oh. I don't want him flying around the entire movie looking like he's got hemorrhoids.
Laughed out loud.

I think that'll probably end up better in context (seems like a climactic moment), but I had the same initial thought.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #279
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
This is my fear as well. I don't want WB to rush into anything, crapping on this new MOS universe in the process, all for the sake of making a new JL film to compete with Avengers. I want things to flow naturally. I also think it's too early to reboot Batman again. For years, it was all about the "dark knight" (this coming from a huge Batman fan), but now it's time for Superman to be in the spotlight again. Sure, I want to see other characters from the DC universe (Batman included) brought in at some point, but not just yet.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #280
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
This is my fear as well. I don't want WB to rush into anything, crapping on this new MOS universe in the process, all for the sake of making a new JL film to compete with Avengers. I want things to flow naturally. I also think it's too early to reboot Batman again. For years, it was all about the "dark knight" (this coming from a huge Batman fan), but now it's time for Superman to be in the spotlight again. Sure, I want to see other characters from the DC universe (Batman included) brought in at some point, but not just yet.
This is where I think Nolan and Bale are being selfish. Look, Christian Bale IS Batman now. He just is. That franchise was dead it was a laughing stock after the last Batman film. Nolan brought it back and not only made it respectable but made Batman stunning. Bale was the perfect guy for Wayne/Knight. That universe can merge with MOS. The only problem I see is Wayne had aged. If MOS is good as I think, you bring in Bale as the Bat and you wouldn't need a JLA at that point, but a Batman vs Superman movie to move forward to JLA and if done right Batman & Superman tangling, it would top Avengers. Only if its Bale as Batman though because Bale's Batman is a bad ass and people would want to see Bale's Dark Knight vs Superman.

I agree with you guys I hope we don't see any Bruce Wayne stuff.

Obi Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #281
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

I won't mind any Bruce Wayne references as long as they're subtle, like shots of objects from Wayne Enterprises or stray comments made about Wayne or Gotham. Nothing that hints at Batman being in the sequel, though.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #282
ALP
In The Mountains

I don't want to see JGL pop up at the end. I read once there was a rumor that they were adding in a post credits scene to include something like that. Please no!

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #283
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

I'm sure many feel the same way but I hope there's just enough time to spit out the origin story (from his youth), and hoping that it doesn't turn out to be Superman Returns action-wise, which it shouldn't considering they know their predecessor.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #284
combocaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickoray View Post
I'm sure many feel the same way but I hope there's just enough time to spit out the origin story (from his youth), and hoping that it doesn't turn out to be Superman Returns action-wise, which it shouldn't considering they know their predecessor.
There was action in that film?

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
The Flash Ezra Miller
Green Lantern ?????
combocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #285
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMelody View Post
Ever seen Michael Shannon in anything? I don't think that's gonna be a problem. He's the best actor in the cast, if not one of the best actors working right now.
I have not. So I appreciate your going easy on me :P I'll definitely take a look into his filmography.

But you gotta admit Stamp did wonders for the character back in 1981. Zod was nothing before that man took the role.

So, in that regard I'm understandably wary. But one could make the same argument about Nicholson and Ledger. I have plenty of faith.

pr0xyt0xin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #286
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Actually I have faith this will be the best CBM of the year. So... here's hoping I don't eat my words.

pr0xyt0xin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #287
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by combocaz View Post
There was action in that film?
Cue the "drums-after-joke". Lol.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #288
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Actually I have faith this will be the best CBM of the year. So... here's hoping I don't eat my words.
Same here. I was entertained by Iron Man 3, but I could see Man Of Stell totally squashing it. Box office wise? We'll see.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #289
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think you all should stop worrying about this movie making money. Its going to make 300-400 million just here in the US alone. A lot of little kids are fired up for this movie and if the action delivers as promised word of mouth will spread. I've always said WB had monkeys running their studios but they were smart to promote MOS thru Wal Mart. Everybody goes to wal mart so they are getting tons of promotion and free publicity at wally world. I was just in there the other day and Superman stuff is every where. I only saw Avengers once I really don't see what was so awesome about it to have done 600 million. This film will be far better and do at least half that or 400 million

The problem as a Superman purist as I describe myself are a few things.

1. No John Williams theme. Donner universe or not, it belongs with every Superman tale on the big screen.

2. Henry Cavill. He's just not tall enough, shoulders aren't wide enough and he doesn't possess the physical prescence Reeve or Routh did. Laugh all you want to at Routh's suit, Routh was good looking, tall and imposing with broad shoulders. The scene where Lois took her shoes off put her hands on his chest stepped on his boots and looked up at him just clicked with me and made me feel like yeah he's Superman and he's in control. When I see Cavill walking in the fortress the cape and stuff looks great but I can tell he's a dude 5'10 at best. Its not fooling my eyes.

3. Superman with no split curl

4. I'm worried about the flying scenes where he does that little scream and he looks like he's straining to take a dump. I'm a little concerned where I read Synder say we have a new take on him flying and its "difficult" for him to fly. Uh oh. I don't want him flying around the entire movie looking like he's got hemorrhoids.

As for the plot and script, not too worried about that with Goyner and Nolan in the background.
Cavill is 6'1". You're complaining of a difference of 2 inches that won't even be noticeable when watching the movie.

Last edited by Dispatch Ninja; 05-18-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Dispatch Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #290
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

1. John Williams and Donner didn't create Superman so it's pretty easy to dump that theme. I love it but it wouldn't fit the tone of this film and this isn't Donner's Superman film. Returns kept the theme and it still wasn't a beloved film. People accepted Batman just fine without Elfman's theme.

2. Hate to be mean about it but I'm feeling fiesty. (Usually I'm very kind about Routh because he seems like a nice fellow).

Routh's acting chops are below most CW actors, he has practically no screen presence and his body isn't 100% how Superman's should be either and he isn't as attractive or sexy as Cavill.

Most aren't going to remember Routh as anything but that actor who had his career made and at the same time limited by a polarizing Superman movie. Even if you love him in the role he is going to be that guy. He mostly does have a good look and voice for Superman, too bad about the atrocious acting abilities.

Now Cavill ain't gonna to be winning any awards either anytime soon and I'm not even expecting amazing acting on a technical level but judging by the things I've seen him in he has some decent screen presence (unlike Routh) and he is a better actor. Also nobody cares about Cavill not being as tall as Routh because nobody remembers Routh. I'm not going to comment on Reeve. He was a gem, a class act and will always be Superman.

3.Nobody gives a **** about a spitcurl except bored nerds.

4. The flying was fine in Superman the movie, Superman Returns and looks fine in Man of Steel. Snyder is trying something different and more exciting and I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

I just had to respond to that post.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #291
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
I think you all should stop worrying about this movie making money. Its going to make 300-400 million just here in the US alone. A lot of little kids are fired up for this movie and if the action delivers as promised word of mouth will spread. I've always said WB had monkeys running their studios but they were smart to promote MOS thru Wal Mart. Everybody goes to wal mart so they are getting tons of promotion and free publicity at wally world. I was just in there the other day and Superman stuff is every where. I only saw Avengers once I really don't see what was so awesome about it to have done 600 million. This film will be far better and do at least half that or 400 million

1. No John Williams theme. Donner universe or not, it belongs with every Superman tale on the big screen.

2. Henry Cavill. He's just not tall enough, shoulders aren't wide enough and he doesn't possess the physical prescence Reeve or Routh did. Laugh all you want to at Routh's suit, Routh was good looking, tall and imposing with broad shoulders. The scene where Lois took her shoes off put her hands on his chest stepped on his boots and looked up at him just clicked with me and made me feel like yeah he's Superman and he's in control. When I see Cavill walking in the fortress the cape and stuff looks great but I can tell he's a dude 5'10 at best. Its not fooling my eyes.

As for the plot and script, not too worried about that with Goyner and Nolan in the background.
Wait, no mention of the lack of trunks?

And you call yourself a purist

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #292
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:

1. I agree with you on this. I'm definitely going to miss the John Williams theme unless, of course, Hans Zimmer manages to top it, which is unlikely the case.

2. Completely disagree with you regarding Henry Cavill. Cavill is actually the first big screen Superman actor who possesses the traditional "broad shouldered, v-shaped torso" that Superman is known for in the comics. DKDetective can tell you more about that. As for the height thing, like Dispatch Ninja stated earlier, Cavill is 6'1", which is only about 2 inches shy of the ideal Superman height. Trying to advance the claim that he's even shorter than 6'1" is dubious at best.

Regarding Routh, yeah, he's a tall guy and has the right hair color for Superman, but that's about it really. His jawline, unlike HC's, is too weak, and, for whatever reason, he looks less like Superman when he's wearing the costume. I blame the producers behind SR for the latter, but it is what it is.

3. The spit curl is just a minor detail in my opinion.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #293
Jaxon
Side-Kick

I like John Williams theme a lot, but it has no place in the tone of this movie.
Snyder looks to be doing to superman what Daniel Craig was able to bring to Bond in his first installment - right into the 21st century instead of reproducing some romantic memory of movies past, the classic error that Superman Returns fell for.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #294
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch Ninja View Post
Cavill is 6'1". You're complaining of a difference of 2 inches that won't even be noticeable when watching the movie.
Agreed...
And what's this he's saying about Cavill not having broad enough shoulders?... To me, Cavill looks to be donning THE broadest shoulders of all the supermen?

Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #295
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY;25868195[B
]1. John Williams and Donner didn't create Superman so it's pretty easy to dump that theme.[/B] I love it but it wouldn't fit the tone of this film and this isn't Donner's Superman film. Returns kept the theme and it still wasn't a beloved film. People accepted Batman just fine without Elfman's theme.

2. Hate to be mean about it but I'm feeling fiesty. (Usually I'm very kind about Routh because he seems like a nice fellow).

Routh's acting chops are below most CW actors, he has practically no screen presence and his body isn't 100% how Superman's should be either and he isn't as attractive or sexy as Cavill.

Most aren't going to remember Routh as anything but that actor who had his career made and at the same time limited by a polarizing Superman movie. Even if you love him in the role he is going to be that guy. He mostly does have a good look and voice for Superman, too bad about the atrocious acting abilities.

Now Cavill ain't gonna to be winning any awards either anytime soon and I'm not even expecting amazing acting on a technical level but judging by the things I've seen him in he has some decent screen presence (unlike Routh) and he is a better actor. Also nobody cares about Cavill not being as tall as Routh because nobody remembers Routh. I'm not going to comment on Reeve. He was a gem, a class act and will always be Superman.

3.Nobody gives a **** about a spitcurl except bored nerds.

4. The flying was fine in Superman the movie, Superman Returns and looks fine in Man of Steel. Snyder is trying something different and more exciting and I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

I just had to respond to that post.
That number-1 statement. Funny that no one ever bothered to mention this fact before (non that i've seen though). A clever, so true statement. And I agree! Old theme out (which don't fit the tone). New theme in!

Last edited by Naite22; 05-18-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Naite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #296
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
2. Completely disagree with you regarding Henry Cavill. Cavill is actually the first big screen Superman actor who possesses the traditional "broad shouldered, v-shaped torso" that Superman is known for in the comics. DKDetective can tell you more about that. As for the height thing, like Dispatch Ninja stated earlier, Cavill is 6'1", which is only about 2 inches shy of the ideal Superman height. Trying to advance the claim that he's even shorter than 6'1" is dubious at best.

Regarding Routh, yeah, he's a tall guy and has the right hair color for Superman, but that's about it really. His jawline, unlike HC's, is too weak, and, for whatever reason, he looks less like Superman when he's wearing the costume. I blame the producers behind SR for the latter, but it is what it is.
You called my name?

Honestly, I don't know what I can say to convince someone who thinks Cavill is 5'10" based on a scene where the environment is CGI. There are no actual physical objects in that scene against which to judge his height.

Seriously, all someone should need for convincing is this image:

I have never seen a finer v-taper on an actor playing a superhero. Broad shoulders and a powerful physique is all about the illusion of a v-taper. It is proof that someone has wide shoulders, full powerful lats (back muscles) and a slim waist. Routh barely had any v-taper because his torso was too long and his hips were relatively wide. Moreover, these problems were accentuated by underdeveloped lats and high inserting pecs. All one needs to do is compare how much of the length of Cavill and Routh's torsos are respectively covered by their chest and ab muscles to see what I mean. They may have actually kept the S-shield on Routh's suit small on purpose because he didn't have a strong and powerful enough chest to do a bigger shield justice. Obi Wan, show us any photo of Routh with such a strong v-taper and I will concede that he is broad and powerful looking, but I highly doubt you will ever find such a photo.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #297
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
You called my name?

Honestly, I don't know what I can say to convince someone who thinks Cavill is 5'10" based on a scene where the environment is CGI. There are no actual physical objects in that scene against which to judge his height.

Seriously, all someone should need for convincing is this image:

I have never seen a finer v-taper on an actor playing a superhero. Broad shoulders and a powerful physique is all about the illusion of a v-taper. It is proof that someone has wide shoulders, full powerful lats (back muscles) and a slim waist. Routh barely had any v-taper because his torso was too long and his hips were relatively wide. Moreover, these problems were accentuated by underdeveloped lats and high inserting pecs. All one needs to do is compare how much of the length of Cavill and Routh's torsos are respectively covered by their chest and ab muscles to see what I mean. They may have actually kept the S-shield on Routh's suit small on purpose because he didn't have a strong and powerful enough chest to do a bigger shield justice. Obi Wan, show us any photo of Routh with such a strong v-taper and I will concede that he is broad and powerful looking, but I highly doubt you will ever find such a photo.
Wow, look at henry with his scrawny shoulders and weak physical presence

Dispatch Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #298
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickoray View Post

MOS WILL NOT be a disappointment action wise like SR. All you have to do is look at the trailers. SR trailers kept showing the same things over and over. Him just flying and the one shot of him walking toward the mini gun, thats all I pretty much remember for the last 2 trailers. MOS shows repeated flying to, but the military stuff has me very excited, the tornado sequence, the times he and Zod square off, the robot fight, the bus crash sequence not to mention all hell breaking loose on krypton & a good portion of metropolis takes a beating.

The only truly epic bad ass action from SR was the airplane sequence. Singer nailed that but every thing else was just too slow.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #299
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
My fear is the exact opposite - that Nolan's Batman is in this universe.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #300
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch Ninja View Post
Just like Tom Cruise is 6' right? I don't believe Cavill is 6'1 sorry I just don't. I'm not saying the movie won't be good, I'm just not sold he's Superman yet.