The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #126
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Default Re: What's your worst fear regarding MOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I'm afraid I'll be bored out of my mind during the scenes before Clark becomes Superman. Not the action pieces, but everything else.
It's the part I'm looking fwd to the most. Clark's childhood, especially... can't wait.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #127
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm afraid I'll be bored out of my mind during the scenes before Clark becomes Superman. Not the action pieces, but everything else.
I was bored out of my mind once Batman became Batman and the action commenced in Begins. But that probably had to do with the wretchedly shot action sequences. This film has a better chance to keep the intrigue of both action and drama on an even keel.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #128
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I'm not gonna panic yet, but it *sounds like* this superman may be way more underpowered than what we are expecting. I would have been happy to have his limit be lifting the weight of an aircraft carrier ( which was already depowering him ).
I hope they arent gonna settle for him lifting tanks or some such silly mess as his upper limit.
we dont want hulk lite or a spidey on roids. we want a superman that can lift a tank with one hand up over his head.
Of course, he could mean the public accepting him, and doing away with magical enemies, etc etc. shoot, I don't know.
I think the interviewer is jumping to conclusion. I really think Letteri just means the style of the cinematography, effects, etc. Thinks like the shaky cam ant's view of destruction we saw in the Comic-Con trailer. Interviews with Goyer seem to contradict the interviewer's interpretation. I can't remember if it was Empire or Total Film, but there was a point where Goyer said that the challenge with Superman is that he IS pretty much invincible and all-powerful. He didn't say that Superman HAS BEEN portrayed that way, but acted like that was one of the character's inherent characteristics. It seemed like Goyer had accepted the challenge of trying to make that idea work.

Personally, I'd be happy with even a STAS level Superman so long as Snyder really makes the superfeats have an impact. I love science fiction and fantasy but the great fantastic moments moments in those genres only work if they are made special by the absence of spectacle at other times. I think that is what Snyder and company are trying to do with Man of Steel. If everything in Superman's world is crazy and extraordinary, the extraordinary becomes ordinary.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #129
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
It's the part I'm looking fwd to the most. Clark's childhood, especially... can't wait.
I think i'm most looking forward to seeing the parts we usually never see - him actually working out he wants/needs to come out of hiding, and the reactions when he does. I'm so interested to see how they are going to play it, because they seem to keep focusing on that part in interviews - how the world would react to an alien announcing himself and defying the laws of physics before our very eyes!

I'm also really intrigued by the relationship between Lois and Clark in this one.

Man i'm just so freaking excited!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #130
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Know what? I think we've seen so many interpretations of Superman so far, through movies, TV and comics that they could really go in a real unique way. I think the worst thing would be if they took too long to get things moving. I want to say I don't want them to get characterisation wrong but that sometimes seems to be a touchy controversial subject some of the time. But I suppose I'll say I just dont want them to focus on unimportant things, to drag things out that dont need to be dragged out and that it'll be total epic Superman. Although, from everything I've seen I dont think I have much to worry about.

WarriorDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #131
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I don't think we'll see the limits of his abilities tapped into until a sequel. It is not so much being underpowered...This is Superman developing in the first film, it is origin after all. I am sure with the setup and maturation process there will be a little room left for upcoming films so the crowd can still be awed.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #132
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I don't think we'll see the limits of his abilities tapped into until a sequel. It is not so much being underpowered...This is Superman developing in the first film, it is origin after all. I am sure with the setup and maturation process there will be a little room left for upcoming films so the crowd can still be awed.
I really hope that is the case and that they don't just drop that development in the sequel. I really loved how in BB & TDK it looked like they were developing Batman to go from the rookie Year One Batman to the Batman we all know and love only for them to drop that completely in Rises.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #133
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

Worst fear:

His suit makes him fly!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #134
CGHulk
Green Guy

My worst fear? Krypton hasn't exploded, and Kal-el was sent to Earth because he was different.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #135
GOD
Banned User

If they are trying to be too realistic, the glasses to hide his identity are not going to work.

Superman would be the biggest celebrity during these times when almost everybody has internet access on their cellphones, the glasses trick could have been hardly justified decades ago, but now everybody could easily recognize his face no matter what he does, so I'm afraid the director and/or writer has/have decided to use some kryptonian device to fool everybody (lame, imho) or, my biggest concern, Superman just will not hide his secret/human identity as Clark Kent, the same way Tony Stark doesn't hide he is Iron Man in the movies, and this would explain why we haven't seen a single CK's picture wearing the glases so far (at least I haven't, if there is any pic I would like to see it).

GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #136
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

I never understood the problem with the glasses. Of course it's ridiculous but it's a fundamental part of the character. Personally, I just let it go the same way I let go of Hulk's pants still fitting after he transforms. You know it's gonna just be that way when you go in so you are able to accept that for these characters it just is this way.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #137
flickchick85
Loose Seal

My biggest fear is that it will be too self-serious to the point of draining the fun and energy out of Superman.

Well, that and clunky writing, which is always my fear with Goyer.

I'm weirdly not worried about Snyder's directing at all, which doesn't make any sense since I don't like his previous films, but I just feel like this is the perfect material for him.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #138
GOD
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I never understood the problem with the glasses. Of course it's ridiculous but it's a fundamental part of the character. Personally, I just let it go the same way I let go of Hulk's pants still fitting after he transforms. You know it's gonna just be that way when you go in so you are able to accept that for these characters it just is this way.
I know, but if I remember well, Goyer has talked about how this movie is going to be very realistic, portraying Superman's story as if it could actually happen in the real world, and how he wrote it like if it was the first story ever written about this character, without looking back to what has been done before... So when I thought about the lack of info regarding Clark Kent as Superman's secret identity, about his work on the Daily Planet, about his disguise to hide who he really is, about the fricking glasses... well, I just thought that maybe they have decided that it would be much more realistic if he just didn't hide his human identity, so he wouldn't need the glasses and this would be why there aren't pictures of CK wearing them.

I've read that in the movie Lois is looking for CK around the world/America with a pic of him without wearing the glasses (I don't remember if this was in the trailer) and I've seen several images of Lois with Superman surrounded by the army, so how could it be realistic for modern audiencies that Clark just started to wear glasses and nobody around realized that he is Superman? That's just not posssible if the writer/director/producers really want this movie to be as realistic and believable as possible, the suspension of disbelief capability in modern audiencies is not the same that it was decades ago, people will believe a man can fly but not that everybody on this movie is blind or plain stupid enough to be so easily fooled.

GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #139
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Not much

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #140
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

My biggest fear is that this film is going to disappoint a lot of people and not necessarily because its a bad film but simply because its been over hyped by a lot of people including me.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #141
Luane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD View Post
I've read that in the movie Lois is looking for CK around the world/America with a pic of him without wearing the glasses (I don't remember if this was in the trailer) and I've seen several images of Lois with Superman surrounded by the army, so how could it be realistic for modern audiencies that Clark just started to wear glasses and nobody around realized that he is Superman? That's just not posssible if the writer/director/producers really want this movie to be as realistic and believable as possible, the suspension of disbelief capability in modern audiencies is not the same that it was decades ago, people will believe a man can fly but not that everybody on this movie is blind or plain stupid enough to be so easily fooled.
Agreed. I also saw these pictures where Clark is with Lois without wearing glasses. Therefore, I hope they won't hide Clark's identity with glasses. It will be unrealistic.
I'm thinking about this sentence which is in trailer : "My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?" Like Iron Man, it may be time for the world to discover the true identity of Superman.

Luane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #142
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

If they ditch the Clark Kent/secret identity thing I fear that departure alone will sink the movie for me. And for the record, I was never a big fan of Iron Man ditching his secret identity either but at least there they had comics stories where it had already happened. Has Superman ever ditched his secret identity in the comics?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #143
superman2090
Side-Kick

The more I see and read about the film, the more confident I am that it will be awesome. My fears and cautious optimism are turning into genuine confidence that it will be great.

superman2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #144
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thing is the transforming propeties of glasses is not unique at all to Clark/Superman.
It's really a quite commonly accepted property/by-product of wearing eye glasses.
Anyone familiar with the saying "men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses." Hollywood has often played with the concept, hiding a bombshell behind glasses. Remove the glasses, loosen the pinned up hair, change her outfit and vah vah voom!
Look at "old maid" Mary in "It's a Wonderful Life".....glasses and a mild mannered demeanor convincingly transform her.

On topic........

The recent quotes re. Superman's emotional frailty are really giving me pause, and reinforcing previous doubts re. the direction MOS is taking the character.

Quote:
"Imagine what it would be like to be someone like Clark Kent/Kal-El," said star Henry Cavill, "and feel like a stranger amongst even those that you love, never developing full relationships with people for fear of them discovering how much of a freak you are. Even you don't understand exactly what you are. It's just a lonely existence. With someone who has that much power and responsibility. Although he is not susceptible to the frailties of mankind, he is definitely susceptible to the emotional frailties."
and

Quote:
"I'll be honest with you," said the director. "There's no Kryptonite in the movie. It's all emotional Kryptonite."
This is NOT at least for me the make-up of Superman.
It's fair game and interesting to play with how it "feels" to be Superman, i.e. needing a secret identity to "live" like a normal man,etc., but to make it a weakness....never!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #145
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem is, those aren't really analogous. Superman's successfully kept secret ID, and secret ID shenanigans with his supporting cast, are major plot elements. Hulk's pants are a bit if largely irrelevant fridge logic. You can just handwave something minor and unimportant; if you have to handwave your main plot, you fail as a writer.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #146
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
That's a good comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I'm weirdly not worried about Snyder's directing at all, which doesn't make any sense since I don't like his previous films, but I just feel like this is the perfect material for him.
I love Snyder's films, but even I didn't want him for Superman at first. I think I had him pigeon holed tho, as someone who only did these dark, stylised movies.

He's really got a chance to prove himself here as more than just a one trick pony. And I think he's doing it. Both in the way he speaks about MOS and has done from the start, but also because every second of footage so far is classy and so very different from his usual style.

The only thing that I think looks 'Snyderish' is Zod's costume. Which has also been something i've been worrying about since they started talking about it being mo-cap and too huge to actually wear.

I worry so much that i'm not going to like the effects, or i'll think it looks silly. Because it has happened to me so often in the cinema lately

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #147
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
My biggest fear is that it will be too self-serious to the point of draining the fun and energy out of Superman
I understand where you are coming from – the tone of the trailers came off a little like that to me. Though I think in the movie itself, things will open up considerably. I think there will be plenty of fun and crazy action will be a focal point. What he can do, and is willing to do, to protect the human race.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #148
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
My worst fears:
4. He kills a living being, accidentally or on purpose.
Yeah that would take the fun out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Adding onto hopefuldreamer's list...

14. Some crazy unexpected event affecting the BO

I didn't think of that, but now I'm worried.

My worst fear is reading the fan's comments after viewing the film. People are so jaded and nitpicky that it's impossible to enjoy anything.

bullets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #149
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I fear there will be a teenager that I end up hurting if they are interrupting my enjoyment of the movie.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #150
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Now, I'm starting to think this movie might be TOO good

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote