The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #701
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
When they finally get to the marketing stage of showering TV's with spots, I hope they have some catered solely to kids.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

This is very clever marketing.
meh, nothing too clever about it IMO. And I doubt they'll go out of their way to cater to kids with TV spots in such a way. Pretty obvious what they are going for with MOS.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #702
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
hmmm....idk.......if the MOS script somehow leaked online, I don't think I'd have the willpower to resist reading it........lol
I'd definitely read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohoo View Post
Nice shirt ..

Me want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
I never liked the Williams theme much, sounds too much like marching music or like parade music to me, that's what I think of when I hear it, a parade.
I don't really care for it either. It's okay, but very overrated IMO.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #703
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
I never liked the Williams theme much, sounds too much like marching music or like parade music to me, that's what I think of when I hear it, a parade. And to me it doesn't capture the spirit of what Superman truly is, maybe for the Donner films but I find those flawed as well so there it is. Williams himself admitted that the film had a certain amount of camp to it so the score had to reflect that and not be too serious. Well, I find that degrading for the character and it wouldn't in any way fit with what MOS is going for.

So I am VERY happy the Williams theme is finally put to rest. But then I am also not a huge fanatic of big memorable themes being a necessity for these films. I much more value that a score fits the tone/mood of the story and melds with that and the visuals of the film so that its all a whole experience not that there is a theme which rises above everything and sticks out.

I don't necessarily need a theme I can hum. For example, the MOS comic-con trailer. The JTTL theme used fit PERFECTLY and had a great effect together with the tone and visuals and IMO if you'd put the JW theme over it it would sound much worse. Yet, I couldn't remember or hum the JTTL theme for months. Doesn't matter when I watch it though because it works perfectly in context.

And knowing Zimmer, he'll deliver exactly what I want and perfectly too. But hey if he can also create a theme that is memorable and yet fits all those criteria, more power to him. I do have a soft spots for Elfman's Batman theme though. IMO it was much more fitting with the character of Batman than JW theme to Superman AND it fit the movies perfectly as well. Win-Win.
I dont think the JW Superman theme is degrading to the character. It matched him and the movie perfectly. Superman was this large than life character and the music fit that perception. Thats why putting the JW theme over the MOS visuals doesn't work. They are two different films.

Creating a theme that I can hum after I leave the movie is important IMO because it means I am more likely to buy the soundtrack. I have bought the soundtracks to Superman the movie, Batman, Spider-man and Tron Legacy because the music gets in your head. I only recently bought TDKR soundtrack and that was because Gotham's Reckoning is stuck in my head.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #704
Marvin
Side-Kick

Themes can play to the context of a scene as well as be "hummable"
Nolan/Zimmer seemingly decided against such things with the batman work.

At the same time they seemed to have nailed the concept with Inception. Zimmer himself is no stranger to this line of thinking as he has done it several times. Gladiator to the Lion King to various others.

Considering how Snyder operates, I see him pulling for something hummable. The man lives for the vignette.
And his choice in music in the past serves to that point.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #705
Project862006
Banned User

still don't get zimmer/batman hate

zimmer's batman theme is very catchy

Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #706
roach
I am the night

I don't hate it...just cant think of it off the top of my head...which is why I don't own any of the soundtracks until recently.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #707
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Out of curiosity, how much input does a director usually have when it comes to the score? Seems to me that it wouldn't be that much since that's really not their area of expertise. I mean, I could probably be wrong, but that's the way I see it. Also, this score will probably be different from past Zack Snyder movies simply because he isn't using his normal composer. His name escapes my memory at the moment.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #708
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Out of curiosity, how much input does a director usually have when it comes to the score? Seems to me that it wouldn't be that much since that's really not their area of expertise. I mean, I could probably be wrong, but that's the way I see it. Also, this score will probably be different from past Zack Snyder movies simply because he isn't using his normal composer. His name escapes my memory at the moment.
A lot...when a composer is chosen they meet with the director to get his take on the project and then are given some time to create several pieces of music the director can choose from. So Zack will be the one to veto and approve all music choices in his movie.
although in the case of Spielberg and Williams, I am sure there is a bit of alchemy at play too.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #709
Project862006
Banned User

i know snyder wanted bates watchmen score to have that blade runner 80's feel i get that vibe from this track especially
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

so yeah they have input

Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #710
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

And then there is Tarantino who builds scenes around music from the writing process, excluding any need of an active composer.

And yes, Inception is clearly Nolan/Zimmer's greatest collaboration. I feel they didn't come close to matching that in the Batman trilogy.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #711
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
And then there is Tarantino who builds scenes around music from the writing process, excluding any need of an active composer.

And yes, Inception is clearly Nolan/Zimmer's greatest collaboration. I feel they didn't come close to matching that in the Batman trilogy.
That might be another reason I don't like Tarantino's movies

Inception is definitely their greatest work together

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #712
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
That might be another reason I don't like Tarantino's movies
...Because the music fits so perfectly to the scenes?

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #713
Marvin
Side-Kick

@0:35
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

quickly browsing the Nolan trilogy endings(in particular), they have a very different goal in mind. Even in the last one.
Maybe it's the trumpets and bells.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #714
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
...Because the music fits so perfectly to the scenes?
Lol no just writing scenes around music could completely change the complextion of something. I've just never been a fan of his work, thinking right now for ones he's directed I don't think there's one film I liked. He was in two films I liked though Planet Terror (his own Grindhouse Death Proof was awful) and From Dusk Til Dawn although I believe he filmed parts of these.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #715
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol no just writing scenes around music could completely change the complextion of something
If he didn't write scenes around music we would've never gotten the iconic scenes of Uma and Travolta dancing to Chuck Berry - You Never Can Tell and Urge Overkill - Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #716
J.Howlett

Quote:
I don't know. The Dark Knight Rises score was a bombastic, apocalyptic masterwork for this listener. And yet, yeah, that Inception score is one for the ages as well.

Can I flip a coin?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #717
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Lol no just writing scenes around music could completely change the complextion of something.
Well, he is the living example of the exact opposite thing. And it's not like he just thinks of a random scene to put in based on a track he likes, it's a back-and-forth process. He mentioned several times that he goes through his record collection while developing his already existing ideas into a cohesive story, and some songs resonate better with him than others, and inspire him more. And it obviously works perfectly well for his movies.

On the other hand, I can't think of many superhero films with great soundtracks... Apart from the Donner's Superman movies, Burton's and Nolan's Batman, none of the other superhero films I've seen has left a huge impression, and I can't think of a powerful scene that I can honestly say that the score was at least 50% responsible for.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #718
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I really don't care about the MOS score that much.
As long as it fits and it works then cool.
I'm intrigued to hear it though, i feel Snyder put a lil bit of his input into the score.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #719
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #720
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I really don't care about the MOS score that much.
As long as it fits and it works then cool.
I'm intrigued to hear it though, i feel Snyder put a lil bit of his input into the score.
That's kinda hard to say since we haven't heard a bit from that score yet.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #721
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
On the other hand, I can't think of many superhero films with great soundtracks... Apart from the Donner's Superman movies, Burton's and Nolan's Batman, none of the other superhero films I've seen has left a huge impression, and I can't think of a powerful scene that I can honestly say that the score was at least 50% responsible for.
John Powell's work on X-men the Last Stand?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #722
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I always liked James Horner's Rocketeer score.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #723
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Well, he is the living example of the exact opposite thing. And it's not like he just thinks of a random scene to put in based on a track he likes, it's a back-and-forth process. He mentioned several times that he goes through his record collection while developing his already existing ideas into a cohesive story, and some songs resonate better with him than others, and inspire him more. And it obviously works perfectly well for his movies.

Well whatever he does I don't like his movies at all :d

As for Superhero scores I do think the scores for Nolan's Bat trilogy are fantastic, when that theme kicked in in Rises when Batman Returned I was so excited and most of that was down to the awesome theme. I also loved Captain America's score and the X-Men First Class score too. But I'd argue that Batman '89 and Superman were the only films that had iconic themes

Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #724
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
That's kinda hard to say since we haven't heard a bit from that score yet.
Well Snyder is usually involved in everything with the movie. As Project862006 said, he was involved in Watchmen's score.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #725
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Since Tarantino was mentioned. There was of course that monologue in Kill Bill vol 2 about what is the real secret identity, Clark Kent or Superman?

Closed Thread