The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #901
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/05/sh...-man-of-steel/

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
(CNN)
-- The secrecy surrounding "Man of Steel," due June 14, is pretty extraordinary, but composer Hans Zimmer was able to give CNN a glimpse of what to expect when we caught up with him this week regarding the score he did for "The Bible."

Asked if the two projects had anything in common, since both involve a savior figure (Jesus, Kal-el) sent by his father to Earth, Zimmer laughed and said, "Yes. Yes is the answer. Once you see Superman, you'll see how close you are with your question."

"Both stories are passions," Zimmer continued, "about a struggle to do the right thing. For Superman, it was a really simple question for me. What does it take to become a good man? To be good? And what does that mean in our more and more complex society? Do any of these values still resonate with us?"

Zimmer said he came to this understanding about director Zack Snyder's take on Superman (which reboots the series, instead of coming in at a later point a la "Superman Returns") because he was questioning how he would score the film and not remind audiences of John Williams' iconic fanfare theme. "Look, that was daunting," Zimmer confessed. "Seriously. He's the greatest film composer out there, without a doubt, and it happens to be one of his iconic pieces of music, so I spent three months just procrastinating and not even getting a start on the thing, because I was so intimidated: 'Oh my God, I'm following in John Williams' footsteps.'"

His way around this, he said, was to look at the Superman story in a "very different way." "I kept thinking of the story as, What if you are extraordinary, and your entire ambition is to join humanity? To become human? What does it mean to become human? What does it mean to be an outsider who really wants to join the human race?"

"Man of Steel," which replaces Brandon Routh with Henry Cavill, is the origin story of Superman, starting with a young Clark Kent discovering that he has extraordinary powers and is not from planet Earth. As he grows up, he learns where he came from and what he was sent to this planet to do, as he becomes a symbol of hope for humanity. The film also stars Russell Crowe as Jor-el (Kal-el's birth father on Krypton), Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent (his adoptive parents), Michael Shannon as General Zod (so expect some trouble there), Laurence Fishburne as Daily Planet editor Perry White, and Amy Adams as reporter/love interest Lois Lane. ("She's fun and sassy, in control, getting into trouble, and always looking for a headline!" Adams enthused earlier).

While it remains to be confirmed, the latest rumor is that Mackenzie Gray is playing Lex Luthor, although he doesn't appear in the trailer.

Coming off three Dark Knight films directed by Christopher Nolan ("Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight," and "The Dark Knight Rises"), Zimmer also didn't want to do "another really dark" superhero movie. "Everything's tinged with irony and sarcasm and bitterness and darkness these days," he said. But this Superman is something lighter, he said, "celebrating everything that was good and fine about America," such as small towns "where people don't lock their doors, neighbors get together, and families are families."

"What was important for Superman was the simple fact that none of us pay much attention to the Midwest," Zimmer said. "I know America mainly by the big cities, but if you go into the Midwest, there is a people there and there is a country there. And I thought it was important that the decent folk, simple folk be the heart of the story, and a character who is guileless, who isn't complicated in the sort of flawed way our Dark Knight is, and isn't political in any way. He's just striving to become a better part of humanity."

This perspective on Superman, the German-born composer said, is something that he came by in part because he's a foreigner. "I think partly what we foreigners are good at is looking at America, not in a judgmental way, but wide-eyed, and seeing the things you take for granted and presenting them in a new way," he added. "Like for 'Thelma and Louise' and the Grand Canyon, most American kids wouldn't want to go there for their holiday, but to us it's a magical, magnificent place."

Sonically, this treatment of America comes across via a grouping of pedal steel guitars (instead of the usual string section), banging titanium and steel sculptures, and organizing "a who's who of drummers" in a 12-member drum circle, including Jason Bonham, Sheila E. and Pharrell Williams. "The great thing about Superman is that everybody loves Superman," Zimmer said with a laugh. "It's very easy making the call and saying, 'Hey, can you come?' I remember phoning Pharrell and him saying, 'I'm right in the middle of producing the Beyonce album in Miami.' 'Jason Bonham's in Miami, and he's getting on a plane!' Next morning, there's Pharrell, looking a little bleary-eyed."

As a producer on "Man of Steel," Nolan, who also collaborated on the story, initially acted as a sounding board for some of Zimmer's ideas ("getting rid of my demons," as he put it) but soon stepped aside so he wouldn't be "a mistress in the mix" between Zimmer and director Zack Snyder, especially since Zimmer's involvement in the whole project stemmed from a misunderstanding in the first place.

"A journalist asked me (at an 'Inception' party) if I was going to do Superman, and I hadn't even heard of it, so I went, 'Absolutely no way,'" Zimmer said. "Somehow in the noise of that party, that got misconstrued as 'Absolutely Hans is doing it.' It was all over the Internet that I was doing Superman, and I'd never even met Zack! So I phoned him up, 'I'm really sorry, this wasn't my doing, this is a misunderstanding.' And he said, 'Oh! It's great that you phoned. Maybe we should meet and talk.'"

So they did, and Nolan urged Zimmer to sign up. "I remember him going, 'Of course you can do it. What's the big deal? I did Batman.' And I said, 'Excuse me, you went to Warner Bros. with an idea of how you were going to do Batman, and you're saying I'm supposed to do Superman, but I don't have the idea in my head.' I have to sneak up on it!" And with Snyder, now he has.
Awesome tidbits in here. Love how Adams describes her Lois.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #902
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Sonically, this treatment of America comes across via a grouping of pedal steel guitars (instead of the usual string section), banging titanium and steel sculptures, and organizing "a who's who of drummers" in a 12-member drum circle, including Jason Bonham, Sheila E. and Pharrell Williams.
Pedal steel guitars instead of string section? Interesting...

And I wonder if CNN got that image (the one that leaked and had to be taken down) from WB or found it online...

Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #903
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJimBinks View Post
I can't remember where I read it before, but I remember reading that in the Kryptonian language, the focus wasn't on the red S looking part, but the 5 yellow sections of the symbol are what mean hope. The red part is just a decorational part of the shield.

After reading that I was able to accept the coincidental part a lot easier.
Y'know what that helps! Thanks.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #904
king666
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
And I wonder if CNN got that image (the one that leaked and had to be taken down) from WB or found it online...
Superman's hair looks different. Weird.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #905
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Lame that CNN picked up on the Mackenzie Gray-Lex Luthor rumor too. Ugh.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #906
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post
Superman's hair looks different. Weird.
Well I have two versions of that leaked image one with that hair (that one is also in biggest resolution) and one with ´´normal`` hair. So I really don't know whats up with that.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #907
STARMAN
Side-Kick

CNN is the most info we have on the film score. Of course, there's nothing like actually hearing it. But Zimmer is clearly not trying to copy his Dark Knight score. Good.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #908
Vagosnati
Vag-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
It's a little tricky discussing a line that may not even be in the film. We don't even know if this trailer description is even real.
CapedWonder is very legit.They never lied about anything before.I believe them.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #909
Mean Mr Mustard
Mighty Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Yep I saw that frame by frame, Zod does actually leap off the building towards Spuerman...Oh man that kinda sucks, i really wanted to see Zod and Superman fight like Neo and Agent Smith at the end of the Matrix Revolutions I wonder if anybody can get a screen grab of that precise moment

I hope Zod figures how to fly in the end battle, again that makes me wonder if that shot of Supes and Zod colliding is from the final battle
There you go

Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #910
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Awesome tidbits in here. Love how Adams describes her Lois.
Me too, that was right on the nose

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #911
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagosnati View Post
I can believe that they are legit, I'm just not sure about their source. In any case, it's all so vague that it doesn't really matter. We'll know if it was legit if the line is in the trailer. But I like the sound of a 3 minute trailer. Of course, it's going to be a bit shorter than that but the recent Great Gatsby trailer is 2:44 long so hopefully the MOS trailer is around there too!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #912
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

I love this part:

Zimmer also didn't want to do "another really dark" superhero movie. "Everything's tinged with irony and sarcasm and bitterness and darkness these days," he said. But this Superman is something lighter, he said

Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #913
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Looking at the CapedWonder website the guy seems sincere about Chris Reeve. Now this guy's source also mentions liking Cavill more and more. Good sign.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #914
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Me too, that was right on the nose

Quote:
I love this part:

Zimmer also didn't want to do "another really dark" superhero movie. "Everything's tinged with irony and sarcasm and bitterness and darkness these days," he said. But this Superman is something lighter, he said

Yeah definitely this.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #915
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Looking at the CapedWonder website the guy seems sincere about Chris Reeve. Now this guy's source also mentions liking Cavill more and more. Good sign.
Cavill is going to own it. He was born to play Superman. I really hope we see him deliver a few good lines in the trailer, both as CK and Supes.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #916
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Cavill is going to own it. He was born to play Superman. I really hope we see him deliver a few good lines in the trailer, both as CK and Supes.
Damn right

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #917
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I hope to hear a few good lines from Cavill also.

The CNN quote from Amy Adams was cool too. I really hope we get a fun Los Lane. She has the best chance to lighten up the movie without turning it into campy silliness.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #918
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagosnati View Post
When did CapedWonder do their right up on the trailer? Link?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #919
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr Mustard View Post
There you go

Remember when that guy on here said Zod was falling, he needs to take a look at this.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #920
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
When did CapedWonder do their right up on the trailer? Link?
It's on their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/CapedWonderS...ery?ref=stream

Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #921
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Nice article !!!! And I won't be surprised if the final trailer isn't action filled. I just want another trailer at this point

Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #922
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

3-minutes? Hell yes, bring it on!

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #923
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
3-minutes? Hell yes, bring it on!
Eh, probably more like 2:40.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #924
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Quote:
Would you mind copying and pasting this? I don't have a facebook account.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #925
Zionite1
Side-Kick

If there is no action in the new trailer I will whine like the Great Kurosawa-May he rest in ban

Closed Thread