The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #151
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
No it wasn't. Many here believed that the Black Zero would replace the Phantom Zone because the concept is too far out for a Nolan produced film. Some thought Jor-El would be more of a warrior than scientist due to his armor/weapon/fight with Zod. We knew Zod was a general but not a warrior from a generation of warriors. That's new information and not common sense. It's also not common sense that some of Clarks potential will only unveil once he discovers the suit.

But ok, let's not discuss any of it. What is there left? Ooooh, right, marketing. Discuss.
Quote:
I never said it was a massive insight into the plot, don't put words in my mouth. It simply gives a small piece of new info during this drought period.

As for the second part, I disagree.
Okay, I have no idea why you're reacting like this...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 04-02-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #152
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old 04-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #153
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I hope that's not the only thing that Warner Bros. has in mind when it comes to promoting this film since if NOTHING NEW is released before then....then yeah, Warner Bros. will be without a doubt the biggest tools in the shed.

I'm starting to get worried about the promotion of this film since we keep getting these bad droughts.
Well, maybe they will release the first character poster today.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #154
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
You just seem really angry about it.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #155
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
You just seem really angry about it.
I'm not. Maybe im annoyed. I have my moments. Maybe it's male pms.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #156
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
I'm not. Maybe im annoyed. I have my moments. Maybe it's male pms.
That's okay, you're excused. We're all pretty exasperated.

I dunno, I just find 'news' like that about as exciting as new pictures of Superman in handcuffs with slightly different colour filters or from slightly different angles... yeah, okay, it's new... but it's nothing much to chew on.

The one thing that is weird is the phantom zone bit, which I didn't think about properly until you mentioned it, cause I just thought the big ship was called the phantom zone... but you're right, they keep calling that black zero...

So either the packaging is wrong and has just called it the phantom zone because that's what it's usually called, or he really is imprisoned somewhere different from the black zero ship, and the ship is what he escapes in?

*\S/T*
Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #157
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Well yeah this is certainly nothing exciting.

And maybe the Phantom Zone is a planet/moon/asteroid near Krypton on which the Black Zero is stationed and serves as a prison. But why would a prison have a powerful gravity beam weapon on it? Meh, I don't care atm.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #158
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

There were a few posters who claimed that the movie would show Kal El as some Kryptonian prince, who would fulfill the prophecy.

And, there was speculation about the prison ship called as "Black Zero" being the new interpretation of the old "Phantom Zone"

Also, some claimed that only Kryptonians who will visit Earth (apart from Kal El.) would be Zod and Faora, the rest of his "army" would consist of Robots.

But, now we have some basis to think that -

Jor El is scientist (not a king, lol) General Zod comes from a family of warriors,and he is later on imprisoned inside a Phantom Zone (not Black Zero ship) and free some Kryptonians who would join him....

Kal El develops his super-powers slowly (like young Clark jumping through scene from SR, before he could fly.) and he comes to accept his role in the world after he discovers his Kryprtonian roots.

All that looks loosely based on STM and S II, but then it will be given enough detail that were missing then.

*\S/T*
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #159
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

What are you guys on about?! What would be exciting? It seems no matter what is given people still whinge and ***** for more because what was given wasnt good enough.

It is exciting Godfrey. I am with you.

Surely discussing what the toy packaging describes is a lot more exciting than discussing box office success and marketing. I am starting to get the image that a lot of people in here dress in suits with greasy pony tails smoking cigars.

Check out my Deviant Art file
http://alienanal.deviantart.com/
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #160
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I keep thinking it sounds like it could go down like this, Zod escapes the Phantom Zone (or is released from), ends up back on Krypton, Jor El finds him trying to escape in a ship, they fight yada yads, Zod and crew then escape on the ship, injured Jor El makes I back to Lara, sends Baby Kal El off and then Krypton explodes.... (Somewhere between he realises that planet is going to go Boom)

Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #161
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Anal View Post
I am starting to get the image that a lot of people in here dress in suits with greasy pony tails smoking cigars.
Me down to a T, definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I keep thinking it sounds like it could go down like this, Zod escapes the Phantom Zone (or is released from), ends up back on Krypton, Jor El finds him trying to escape in a ship, they fight yada yads, Zod and crew then escape on the ship, injured Jor El makes I back to Lara, sends Baby Kal El off and then Krypton explodes.... (Somewhere between he realises that planet is going to go Boom)
Sounds about right

*\S/T*
Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #162
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
There were a few posters who claimed that the movie would show Kal El as some Kryptonian prince, who would fulfill the prophecy.

And, there was speculation about the prison ship called as "Black Zero" being the new interpretation of the old "Phantom Zone"

Also, some claimed that only Kryptonians who will visit Earth (apart from Kal El.) would be Zod and Faora, the rest of his "army" would consist of Robots.

But, now we have some basis to think that -

Jor El is scientist (not a king, lol) General Zod comes from a family of warriors,and he is later on imprisoned inside a Phantom Zone (not Black Zero ship) and free some Kryptonians who would join him....

Kal El develops his super-powers slowly (like young Clark jumping through scene from SR, before he could fly.) and he comes to accept his role in the world after he discovers his Kryprtonian roots.

All that looks loosely based on STM and S II, but then it will be given enough detail that were missing then.
Yeah I guess it is good to get some confirmation he's not a king... but did anyone really believe that?

*\S/T*
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #163
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Me down to a T, definitely

Sounds about right
Yeah well obviously there'll be more too it than that but from what we know that sounds like the gist lol how funny would it be if Jor El explained it that way to Clark in the fortress

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #164
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
They didn't even need to release a trailer let alone two, they could have easily made their first and only trailer debut on Iron Man 3, nearly every member of the main demographic of this film would be exposed and informed of this films existance, then litter tv spots for the next month (may is finale month so viewerships are high) then you have your press junkets, late show circuits, endless articles and interviews, clips then if the film is good enough some reviews and pre screening tweets. All of that can be done in a month and a half and you'd get the same result as viral marketing and constant stream of photos and clips for 6 months (which it seems people here complaining about the marketing) if anything you might get a better result with the former, as you can always overhype and tire people out with constant marketing, especially if you reveal half the movie beforehand.

I'll just say what i said on the TDKR forums last year....some people are severely mistaking their own impatience and eagerness to see the film for a studio failing to market a film properly.
A million times this. WB aren't stupid. Everything they do towards this film is very considered.

I see this film hopefully doing $80-$100M opening week just on Nolans name. From there though is all up in the air. It's Nolans name that will sell this film, but it's Snyders work that will be what makes or breaks it.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #165
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I'll just say what i said on the TDKR forums last year....some people are severely mistaking their own impatience and eagerness to see the film for a studio failing to market a film properly.
This. I don't see why any of us should care about a studio's marketing strategy. It's not like it's our movie or box office money that's in stake. Just wait for the sudden flood of promo **** that's gonna come at some point and do something else in the time being.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #166
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Here's a theory to add to the Zod/Phantom Zone/Black Zero speculation.

Perhaps we get a scene on Krypton during which it is seismically breaking down where Faora acting like an assassin breaks into the Council and frees Zod from the Phantom Zone which is those skulls we see Superman reaching out of in the Comic-Con trailer. Then they tussle with Jor-El, hijack a spaceship and get into some aerial fighting (seen glimpsed at in the trailer of the 'bug-like' Kryptonian ship blowing up another). Eventually leading to them fleeing the planet in the Black Zero which has this Doomsday Anti-Gravity weapon.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #167
TheDailyPigMan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
A million times this. WB aren't stupid. Everything they do towards this film is very considered.

I see this film hopefully doing $80-$100M opening week just on Nolans name. From there though is all up in the air. It's Nolans name that will sell this film, but it's Snyders work that will be what makes or breaks it.
That's it? Maybe for the opening weekEND, $80-$100 million - Remember...not only does MoS have Nolan's name, it has top actors, Snyder visuals and 3D premium prices. I am thinking at least $200 million for the full opening week. This isn't going to play out like Batman Begins...people will come opening day/week.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #168
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Here's a theory to add to the Zod/Phantom Zone/Black Zero speculation.

Perhaps we get a scene on Krypton during which it is seismically breaking down where Faora acting like an assassin breaks into the Council and frees Zod from the Phantom Zone which is those skulls we see Superman reaching out of in the Comic-Con trailer. Then they tussle with Jor-El, hijack a spaceship and get into some aerial fighting (seen glimpsed at in the trailer of the 'bug-like' Kryptonian ship blowing up another). Eventually leading to them fleeing the planet in the Black Zero which has this Doomsday Anti-Gravity weapon.
Hmmmm sounds interesting, so do you reckon there's a scene where Superman ends up in the Phantom Zone? Infact maybe that would explain Lois Lane having a laser gun maybe she frees him from the Zone.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #169
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
This. I don't see why any of us should care about a studio's marketing strategy. It's not like it's our movie or box office money that's in stake. Just wait for the sudden flood of promo **** that's gonna come at some point and do something else in the time being.
There is a lot riding on the movie's success, not just for superman but the dcu as well. Alot of that success will ride on the marketing, which has actually been active for close to a year now...
Notice how MOS and Superman in general are still met with close to the same apathy as the property has been met with for the past several years? It's had it's little flourishes but nothing tangibly lasting. If wb wants the world to start going crazy a month before the film is released that's fine, but I'm sure they would have rather'd a year of people talking...they kinda did pay for the ad space already.

The number one shortcoming much of the audience has with the character is that it's too somber and not as engaging as these other dudes. Granted Ironman has never had a dated, old fashioned movie followed by a tribute to said movie in which he threw more insults than punches(he threw one insult at lex btw). I just think WB needs to quit with the sombre stuff. For the first time in a few decades, superman needs to stop being somber. JJ's first trek trailers did this.

The first thing I'm going to say when the next trailer hits and it shows some pretty gnarly stuff is this: "If they had only released this in the last trailer, we'd have a year's worth of GA craze!"

Anyways, I'm liking what I'm reading on the backs of those toy boxes, strangely enough, toys seem to be our go to place for film info at this point.

I'm convinced Clark learns to fly after he enters the fortress now more than ever.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #170
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
They need to be building the foundation. I'll give them through mid April before criticizing. It will be a large mistake to pass up the basketball tournament entirely, though.
I doubt they'll market during the NCAA tournament. It would be fine if they did, I just don't see that. Early. Maybe a special TV Spot would be cool. Monsters University sure will though.

Quote:
SFX? I don't think they ever get any exclusives do they? Usually they have what has already been released. And May? Yeah, I'm sure we'll get a bunch of magazine issues in May.

And moving on, I don't see why some say MOS shouldn't market itself in April in order not to compete with IM3. Makes no sense. So in early May they shouldn't because of STID? In mid-late May because of FF6 and TH? Jeez, they best not promote it at all! MOS shouldn't run and hide. They should show why it's going to take all those films and slap them silly. If the movie can't do that, well then I'll be disappointed either way! TDKR had it's first TV spot 2 months from release. MOS shouldn't be too far behind from that schedule. We'll know soon...
Since I mentioned it, I guess you're addressing me?

I'm not sure marketing your movie 2 1/2 months before it's release makes much sense when you're going up against the marketing campaigns for Star Trek 2 & Iron Man 3, which will be the two top grossers domestically this Summer. What exactly do you gain doing that? End of April in to May makes a lot more sense to me. Man Of Steel isn't competing with either of those films and it is not going to slap either film silly.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #171
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Since I mentioned it, I guess you're addressing me?
Not really you more in general because I've seen it mentioned a few times by other people.

Quote:
I'm not sure marketing your movie 2 1/2 months before it's release makes much sense when you're going up against the marketing campaigns for Star Trek 2 & Iron Man 3, which will be the two top grossers domestically this Summer. What exactly do you gain doing that? End of April in to May makes a lot more sense to me. Man Of Steel isn't competing with either of those films and it is not going to slap either film silly.
Ok. When do you think WB should release the new trailer? With IM3 in May or in about two weeks before the IM3 and STID hype really get's big?

Quote:
and it is not going to slap either film silly.
Well, I'm hoping it slaps IM3 silly in terms of action at least since we've seen IM do his thing 3 times already and Supes, well, never really.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #172
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yeah well obviously there'll be more too it than that but from what we know that sounds like the gist lol how funny would it be if Jor El explained it that way to Clark in the fortress
In Crowe's voice it'd probably still sound pretty epic

*\S/T*
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #173
STARMAN
Side-Kick

So far marketing has gone pretty much how I expected. A teaser with TDKR. A full trailer in December. Probably a second full trailer in April. A magazine photo shoot here and there.

Maybe we're getting less posters and stills but that's not going to win over the GA that most people seem worried about.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #174
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

I hope we get the first character poster in a few hours. If not, I don't think we'll get any this week since studios usually debut one daily during weekdays. I feel we may be in for another week of drought but I also think it will be the last. Im expecting EW cover to be unveiled next week or the week after, same for posters and after that the new trailer.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #175
JimJimBinks
A friend

I'm not expecting a TV Spot until late april/early may. I'm thinking MAYBE we'll get new trailer in mid April.
The one thing I'm surprised by at this point is the lack of character posters, or any new posters at all for that matter. But maybe that's just because we heard they were approved a while ago.

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Closed Thread