The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #276
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

my fear is that storm will play a leader role in this film which gives halle berry's storm a big part and something to do but makes bringing back cyclops very unimportant, esp if they make storm do it well

halle berry has bigger stardom then james marsden and cyclops was very undeveloped

i mean if they can keep bringing halle berry storm back as the leader then why bring back cyclops, the only character development storm got in X3 was taking cyclops place

id like to think singer will leave a door open for cyclops almost like he is needed even when he isn't there but i have my doubts

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 04-12-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #277
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Although he was in the horrible Wolverine movie, do you guys think there's any chance of Tim Pocock being asked to return to be a young Cyclops? He does have a good resemblance of James Marsden, and he's pretty good on Dance Academy.

I mean I know Lucas Till is remaining mum on his possible return, but it saddened me to see a post even mention Havok as Cyclops' dad; and honestly, from Singer saying he wasn't erasing past movies, but fixing things, I didn't think Cyclops' kidnapping was a bad part of Wolverine nor did it need fixing.
The Scott and Alex relationship is already ruined with Alex being old enough to be scott's father.... I hate it with a passion but it makes more sense (and less angry) than Scott being what.... Almost 30 years younger than Alex? That makes far less sense. If they keep Alex in fc as a young adult.... And Scott in X1 as a late 20/early 30s adult..... Alex is still old enough to be his father....

I hate it but lets face it. Corsair is never working in the universe singer created

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 04-12-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #278
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
The Scott and Alex relationship is already ruined with Alex being old enough to be scott's father.... I hate it with a passion but it makes more sense (and less angry) than Scott being what.... Almost 30 years younger than Alex? That makes far less sense. If they keep Alex in fc as a young adult.... And Scott in X1 as a late 20/early 30s adult..... Alex is still old enough to be his father....

I hate it but lets face it. Corsair is never working in the universe singer created
Who said anything about Corsair? I rather that young Tim Pocock as Cyclops is used alongside Lucas Till as Havok. If Singer can ignore some bits of X3 and WO, don't see the problem of them using movie magic to have them together in the 70s/80s or whatever.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #279
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
my fear is that storm will play a leader role in this film which gives halle berry's storm a big part and something to do but makes bringing back cyclops very unimportant, esp if they make storm do it well

halle berry has bigger stardom then james marsden and cyclops was very undeveloped

i mean if they can keep bringing halle berry storm back as the leader then why bring back cyclops, the only character development storm got in X3 was taking cyclops place

id like to think singer will leave a door open for cyclops almost like he is needed even when he isn't there but i have my doubts
Almost certainly Storm's 'integral role' in this film will be as the leader of the X-Men in the future and I'm confident that Bryan will write her as a strong and capable leader, and Halle seems more than up to the challenge and will hopefully nail the performance (if her recent track record of great performances is anything to go by) most audiences will be comfortable with Storm's role as leader.

This as you say is where Cyclops' problem lies. The character works best as the leader of the X-Men that's where his story arc revolves around and that is what fans want to see from him. But in the eyes of Fox it makes sense for Storm to stay leader of the X-men because Halle Berry is a MUCH bigger star than James Marsden.

This is where the movies have completely f***ed with fans expectations. They waste Storm as a character and do not develop her until they make her leader instead of developing her as a second in command. Meaning Cyclops who can only work as the leader if the X-Men won't be able to be the leader he should be in the sequel.

I mean to non-fans there is no special reason why Cyclops should lead the X-Men and some critics, especially feminist critics, may take offence at Storm giving up leadership to Cyclops. And let's face it apart from fans Cyclops is nobody's favourite character in the movies. He was an uninteresting, bland character that died and to most of the GA should stay dead.

I doubt that Singer or even Fox would let Singer portray Storm as being incapable of leadership and needing Cyclops' help as that could send the wrong messages. And might not even make sense for non-fans as Cyclops was never presented as an important character.

I really would like to see how Singer would deal with this situation if they do plan on bringing Cyclops back for a sequel. Will they relegate him to 2nd in command or will they have them duel like in the comics and have Cyclops (or Storm) win. Will they show Storm giving up leadership to Cykes despite the probable public outcry from the GA that far outnumber comic book fans who would understand why such a thing happened. Ow would they be able to find a way for Cyclops to be part of the team but not in a leadership capacity.

If a sequel happened chances are the leader of the X-Men and wolverine would get the most screentime, who would they choose Halle Berry's Storm or James Marsden's Cyclops? I guess that depends on how well receives Halle's next turn as Storm will be.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #280
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Almost certainly Storm's 'integral role' in this film will be as the leader of the X-Men in the future and I'm confident that Bryan will write her as a strong and capable leader, and Halle seems more than up to the challenge and will hopefully nail the performance (if her recent track record of great performances is anything to go by) most audiences will be comfortable with Storm's role as leader.

This as you say is where Cyclops' problem lies. The character works best as the leader of the X-Men that's where his story arc revolves around and that is what fans want to see from him. But in the eyes of Fox it makes sense for Storm to stay leader of the X-men because Halle Berry is a MUCH bigger star than James Marsden.

This is where the movies have completely f***ed with fans expectations. They waste Storm as a character and do not develop her until they make her leader instead of developing her as a second in command. Meaning Cyclops who can only work as the leader if the X-Men won't be able to be the leader he should be in the sequel.

I mean to non-fans there is no special reason why Cyclops should lead the X-Men and some critics, especially feminist critics, may take offence at Storm giving up leadership to Cyclops. And let's face it apart from fans Cyclops is nobody's favourite character in the movies. He was an uninteresting, bland character that died and to most of the GA should stay dead.

I doubt that Singer or even Fox would let Singer portray Storm as being incapable of leadership and needing Cyclops' help as that could send the wrong messages. And might not even make sense for non-fans as Cyclops was never presented as an important character.

I really would like to see how Singer would deal with this situation if they do plan on bringing Cyclops back for a sequel. Will they relegate him to 2nd in command or will they have them duel like in the comics and have Cyclops (or Storm) win. Will they show Storm giving up leadership to Cykes despite the probable public outcry from the GA that far outnumber comic book fans who would understand why such a thing happened. Ow would they be able to find a way for Cyclops to be part of the team but not in a leadership capacity.

If a sequel happened chances are the leader of the X-Men and wolverine would get the most screentime, who would they choose Halle Berry's Storm or James Marsden's Cyclops? I guess that depends on how well receives Halle's next turn as Storm will be.
It's possible we will not see any more of Patrick Stewart's Xavier. He may not be back in physical form in DoFP.

In that case, Storm would remain as headmistress of the school and Cyclops would be field commander of the team.

The next question is where Wolverine fits into things. Will they just have him as the maverick lone-wolf, which is what he should be if we go by the comics, or will the studio want him as leader?

It's the balance/dynamics of Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops that needs dealing with.

Maybe one of them ends up leading a second team, or training a new group of young mutants.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #281
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's possible we will not see any more of Patrick Stewart's Xavier. He may not be back in physical form in DoFP.

In that case, Storm would remain as headmistress of the school and Cyclops would be field commander of the team.

The next question is where Wolverine fits into things. Will they just have him as the maverick lone-wolf, which is what he should be if we go by the comics, or will the studio want him as leader?

It's the balance/dynamics of Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops that needs dealing with.

Maybe one of them ends up leading a second team, or training a new group of young mutants.
Never considered that. Those two options are things I could see happening in the movieverse. Maybe the X-Men are split into Blue and Gold teams. Wit Cyclops and Wolverine each leading one and Storm as the Headmistress. That could deal with the power dynamics of Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops in a way that appease fans, the studio and the actors' egos. Cause it would have been a huge demotion for Halle to go from leading the team to being nothing but a secondary character again. Which is what would happen as Singer and co. clearly can't think of a use for storm or give her a character arc.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #282
Double B
Side-Kick

If a further film gets made after this, and I still hope it does:

Cyclops - leader (if Singer is bothering to bring him/Jean back in his attempts to fix ****, then I do believe the character will begin to be utilised properly).

Storm - headmistress and/or second in command. It won't be a demotion. It probably one even be addressed. She'll play a key role in the team. 'Nuff said.

Wolverine - maverick, as you suggest. That is how he works best. He'll get many times to shine/fight scenes but won't 'lead' the team. IMO studio interference will have lessened since the days of Rothman and the movieverse Wolverine is the lovable rogue type figure.

For me, those are the best defined roles for the characters and the ones that they slot into the easiest.

Though to be honest, I expect to see a more balanced team in any future films, particularly if Rogue is fully powered and we have an in-control Phoenix. All the characters will have more to add to the unit.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #283
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
the fact we seen the older Xaviers wheel chair says he probably will be back in the chair and singer has said alot of the story is about the relationships between future and past xavier and magneto

so you can make all these ideas up for how the chair could be used but the most obvious guess would be that everything will go back to how it was, almost like his character hadn't been killed off at all

singer won't kill off Xavier, that would be a crazy move for future films

Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #284
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post

Cyclops - leader (if Singer is bothering to bring him/Jean back in his attempts to fix ****, then I do believe the character will begin to be utilised properly).

Storm - headmistress and/or second in command. It won't be a demotion. It probably one even be addressed. She'll play a key role in the team. 'Nuff said.

Wolverine - maverick, as you suggest. That is how he works best. He'll get many times to shine/fight scenes but won't 'lead' the team. IMO studio interference will have lessened since the days of Rothman and the movieverse Wolverine is the lovable rogue type figure.

For me, those are the best defined roles for the characters and the ones that they slot into the easiest.

Though to be honest, I expect to see a more balanced team in any future films, particularly if Rogue is fully powered and we have an in-control Phoenix. All the characters will have more to add to the unit.
That is just so perfect. This is how the first X-Men should have been like with these clearly defined roles for these characters.

question though, wouldn't general audiences wonder why suddenly cyclops is calling the shots not storm especially is she is shown as clearly subordinate to him. Remember GA won't see what's so special about him and may not understand why Storm is no longer clearly leading, they may see this as a demotion.

Last edited by NanaT; 04-12-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #285
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I'd be so happy with Storm and Cyclops sharing X-men responsibilities. That's how it is in the comics. There's usually someone managing the school and someone being a field leader. The way they set up Storm in X3, she'd be a fine headmistress, and they could develop Cyclops into an awesome field leader.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #286
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i find it odd that people actually want Xavier killed off, personally i really don't think singer would do that, no matter how old patrick is they will keep bringing him back to the part

i think his character is too important to kill off for these movies, even X3 gave a way to bring him back, as crappy as it was

Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #287
NanaT
X-Men United!

I actually think Gueststar2004 is right, but that does not automatically mean that he'd return to his duties as headmaster. He may concede to Storm as headmistress but there is a chance that Singer may bring him back as Headmaster as a way to bring things back to the status quo but what does that pose for Storm, who may be relegated back to a secondary role, used only for action sequences.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #288
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post

This is great!

I like the whole Professor X/Magneto dynamic, but it has been 13 years (14 next year), and it's time to move on. If they killed off Xavier (or Magneto for that matter), or wrote him as being out of the picture somehow, I'd be fine with it.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #289
Angamb
Banned User

me too.

The franchise should be bigger than just Charles-Erik and their pupils.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #290
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
If they killed off Xavier (or Magneto for that matter), or wrote him as being out of the picture somehow, I'd be fine with it.
singer wouldn't do that, the character of Xavier is big part of what makes Xmen the Xmen, and as for magneto well he is like the opposite to Xavier, which is what his importance is

Xavier has his team and magneto has his, thats pretty much the backbone of these films

never have these films had enough to stand alone without these characters to casual audiences

Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #291
NanaT
X-Men United!

They should consider trying to branch out of their Xavier/Magneto safety net. I mean I've had enough of those two just as much as I've had enough of wolverine. They need to start developing some other characters starting with Cyclops and Storm the least developed of the bunch.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #292
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
They should consider trying to branch out of their Xavier/Magneto safety net. I mean I've had enough of those two just as much as I've had enough of wolverine. They need to start developing some other characters starting with Cyclops and Storm the least developed of the bunch.
the only time i think xavier or magneto won't be a backbone to these stories is if they have a spin off of certain characters like they did with wolverine, ignoring origins which had Xavier cameo

its very difficult to have X men without the reason for them being called that, with Xavier, plus he is a well known character to casual audiances, i mean bald guy in a wheel chair people automaticly know who he is, about the same as wolverine really with the claws

Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #293
NanaT
X-Men United!

It ain't that difficult, check the current comics and you'll notice he is nowhere to be found. Xavier isn't needed for the X-Men to work.

People don't need to recognise characters for audiences to watch a film if anything they just need to recognise actors. And hugh, Halle, and even James are recognisable enough.

They're called the X-Men because of the X-gene.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #294
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Who said anything about Corsair? I rather that young Tim Pocock as Cyclops is used alongside Lucas Till as Havok. If Singer can ignore some bits of X3 and WO, don't see the problem of them using movie magic to have them together in the 70s/80s or whatever.
That's not movie magic.... Its movie ignore-ance. This series already has far too many continuity issues.... Its one thing to create your own continuity its another to ignore and get lost in your own category.

Alex is at very least...... 20 years older than Scott in movie continuity

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #295
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
singer wouldn't do that, the character of Xavier is big part of what makes Xmen the Xmen, and as for magneto well he is like the opposite to Xavier, which is what his importance is

Xavier has his team and magneto has his, thats pretty much the backbone of these films

never have these films had enough to stand alone without these characters to casual audiences

Sure, Xavier's a big part of the X-Men, but he certainly isn't the biggest part. It's really narrow-minded to think or suggest that these films can't do well without focusing on Xavier and his relationship with Magneto. I think we will have gotten the point after DOFP if not already(Xavier believes humans and mutants can live together peacefully; Magneto believes mutants are superior to mutants, and as homo superior, they should live separately and peacefully from humans or have dominion over them). We get it! If it continues right after DOFP, it'll start to look like this:

The X-Men have been able to function without Xavier in the comics plenty of times, and there's already a precedent in the films with X3. There are other villains to utilize (and they've done so before). Singer needs to give the Xavier/Magneto a break after DOFP.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #296
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
That's not movie magic.... Its movie ignore-ance. This series already has far too many continuity issues.... Its one thing to create your own continuity its another to ignore and get lost in your own category.

Alex is at very least...... 20 years older than Scott in movie continuity
And in movie continuity, Famke Jean is way too old to be the same Jean in the beginning of X3. It's a minor thing that can be ignored.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #297
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
It ain't that difficult, check the current comics and you'll notice he is nowhere to be found. Xavier isn't needed for the X-Men to work.

People don't need to recognise characters for audiences to watch a film if anything they just need to recognise actors. And hugh, Halle, and even James are recognisable enough.
yeah but there is a difference between movies and comic books, mostly fans read comic books, casual audiences see these films which is partly or mostly where the money comes from

if you look at how the movies have been so far its been Xmen vs the brotherhood for X1, xmen with help from magneto to save Xavier for X2, Xmen vs Magneto X3, origins with Xavier cameo, first class the beginnings of Xavier and magneto, with only the wolverine not having any of them

yeah they could get rid of Xavier, but would singer or Fox risk that when they can just keep them in the films and work around them?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #298
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
If they continue the X-Men franchise with Jackman, and Berry for the next few years then Cyclops has to come back. His character being dead does not make sense especially since he is still well alive and has a big role in todays comic books.
I would like to see a comeback for Cyclops in the 8th X-Men film or the 9th.

But Jean Grey, maybe in the next 10 years or in the last movie of this series.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #299
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
they should live separately and peacefully from humans or have dominion over them). We get it! If it continues right after DOFP, it'll start to look like this:

The X-Men have been able to function without Xavier in the comics plenty of times, and there's already a precedent in the films with X3. There are other villains to utilize (and they've done so before). Singer needs to give the Xavier/Magneto a break after DOFP.
there is always going to be a difference between what works in the comics and what works in the movies

and truth be told they will work around xavier and magneto so keep it fresh like they do Apocalypse then for X4 they will have magneto team up with the Xmen for whatever reason

and the parts that didnt have Xavier in X3 had magneto, so there is always one there and they did similar in X1 and put him in a coma or whatever till the end

its a case of why get rid of this well known character when you can just write around them, just like they are doing with wolverine

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #300
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
yeah but there is a difference between movies and comic books, mostly fans read comic books, casual audiences see these films which is partly or mostly where the money comes from

if you look at how the movies have been so far its been Xmen vs the brotherhood for X1, xmen with help from magneto to save Xavier for X2, Xmen vs Magneto X3, origins with Xavier cameo, first class the beginnings of Xavier and magneto, with only the wolverine not having any of them

yeah they could get rid of Xavier, but would singer or Fox risk that when they can just keep them in the films and work around them?
There is no risk if you think patrick and ian are drawing audiences they you're sadly mistaken.

Fox knows that audiences will come whether the movie focuses on the relationship between xavier/magneto or storm/cyclops or wolverine/rogue etc as log as it is a good movie.

The movie bares X-Men as its title and neither magneto or xavier, really if you think about it are x-men. I say time we drop those two and introduce a new villain. Anyone feel something Sinister in the air?

Closed Thread