The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #351
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

After First Class they obviously are retconning the original Trilogy to take place In 1990's.
That and Origins taking place In 1979 when Cyclops was around 16 would allow for X-Men and X2 to take place around 1994 and Last Stand about a year later.

I am fairly certain due to dropping so many First Class characters and the clean up and correcting comments from bryan Snger suggests the next X-men film after DOFP which be more present film with time travel allowing them to retcon things from Last Stand.
I don't think there will be a third film with First Class cast members.

DOFP could very well be last film with Magneto.There have been rumbling Ian Mckellen wants to focus more on Stage work than films In future.And with all talk about Apocalpse
may be telling us where Singer and others want to go In future films.

I don't get this obsession with wanting Xavier out of films.I guess majority on this board only want films to copy recent devolpments In comics.I prefer the pre Grant Morrison years of X-men.Meaning 1975-2000 years of 616.

If as expected the ending of DOFP brings back Cyclops then for future films It would be him and not Storm as leader.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #352
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
After First Class they obviously are retconning the original Trilogy to take place In 1990's.
That and Origins taking place In 1979 when Cyclops was around 16 would allow for X-Men and X2 to take place around 1994 and Last Stand about a year later.

I am fairly certain due to dropping so many First Class characters and the clean up and correcting comments from bryan Snger suggests the next X-men film after DOFP which be more present film with time travel allowing them to retcon things from Last Stand.
I don't think there will be a third film with First Class cast members.

DOFP could very well be last film with Magneto.There have been rumbling Ian Mckellen wants to focus more on Stage work than films In future.And with all talk about Apocalpse
may be telling us where Singer and others want to go In future films.

I don't get this obsession with wanting Xavier out of films.I guess majority on this board only want films to copy recent devolpments In comics.I prefer the pre Grant Morrison years of X-men.Meaning 1975-2000 years of 616.

If as expected the ending of DOFP brings back Cyclops then for future films It would be him and not Storm as leader.
What is this ridiculousness of thinking the OT took place in the 90s? That's not the case, as indicated by everything in those movies. The music, the clothes, the cars...it's at least present to when they were released.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #353
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
After First Class they obviously are retconning the original Trilogy to take place In 1990's. That and Origins taking place In 1979 when Cyclops was around 16 would allow for X-Men and X2 to take place around 1994 and Last Stand about a year later.
No!

Remember this blue car in X2?

http://www.netcarshow.com/mazda/2003-rx8_xmen/

Quote:
The Mazda RX-8 is a sports car manufactured by Mazda Motor Corporation. It first appeared in 2001 at the North American International Auto Show.
It wasn't around in the 90s

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #354
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Even with a big age gap, it's still possible for Alex and Scott to be brothers. I know a woman at work who is part of a large family where there is more than 30 years' difference between the youngest and oldest children.

The age difference depends how old Alex is supposed to be in First Class, how old Cyclops is supposed to be in the original trilogy and when the original trilogy takes place.

The original trilogy can't be way into the future because it began with a wartime scene set in 1944, in which Magneto was aged about 10 (I would guess).

The actor playing young Erik in X-Men (2000) was aged 12 when that scene was shot, and the actor playing young Erik in First Class was 15 when the scene was re-created for that movie (the same age as the actor who played young Xavier, whose age is definitively credited as 12). The character looked to be aged 10-14 at most.

I would say Magneto in the original trilogy was in his 60s and not any older (no way he could be in his 70s). If Magneto was 10 in 1944, then 50 years later (in 1994) he would be 60 - and 60 years later (in 2004) he would be 70. On that basis, the original trilogy likely takes place sometime between 1994 and 2004. You can see the Twin Towers in X1 and if you take that into account, the first film can't be later than 2001.

If we bear in mind Origins, a version of the 1979 Three-Mile Island incident takes place at the end of the movie and Wolverine has been on the road without a memory for 15 years, making it 1994. If we theorise that the Three-Mile Island incident had already taken place, making the location a prime spot for Styker to set up a base and go undetected, then the end of Origins could be, say, five years after 1979. Thus it would be in 1984 and X1 is then in 1999.

My brain is fried now so if someone can factor in Cyclops to all that, we can see where that leaves us.
I've seen your 90s logic before and its still ridiculous considering all the era specific things from cars, clothes, technology, brandings, and songs..... Its in no shape way or form the 90s as much as you try to force it. Its more believable that some mutants age slower than it is to believe it was the 90s..........

And yes the age gap can indeed happen with brothers but what makes the brother dynamic interesting is Scott and his younger brother. You lose that sibling rivalry imo with a massive age gap and you essentially have to give Scott the characterization of Alex in the comics since Alex is the older one in the movies....

Its incredibly messy and if they can't do it right they shouldn't try at all imo.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #355
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Obvious to absolutely no one.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #356
Great Mind(s)
Broken

It's easier to believe Xavier lied about his age because the more we seem to know about Xavier the more he's dubious...

Old 04-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #357
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
X-Men Evaluation did an interesting take on that relationship.
X-men Evolution is always my go-to guide for how to develop characters and give them meaningful relationships in a medium outside of the comic books. It's not perfect but I loved the dynamic between all of the characters.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #358
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Your forgetting the comments of them wanting a timeless feeling to trilogy and apart from magneto flashback they never wanted to tie down when exactly
the trilogy took place.

The minute Bryan Singer decied to set First Class In 1962 with Xavier and Magneto In mid to late 20's that Immetly siad they were doing a retcon.Singer even said point blank when devolping first Class he went backwords from Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen's real ages.They were In early 60's.That Immedetly
says a 1990's setting for trilogy.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #359
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
The minute Bryan Singer decied to set First Class In 1962 with Xavier and Magneto In mid to late 20's that Immetly siad they were doing a retcon.Singer even said point blank when devolping first Class he went backwords from Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen's real ages.They were In early 60's.That Immedetly
A 1990's setting for the OT makes no sense. It will never make any sense despite how much you try and force it.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #360
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Your forgetting the comments of them wanting a timeless feeling to trilogy and apart from magneto flashback they never wanted to tie down when exactly
the trilogy took place.

No it did not..... The very first X-men film in 2000 had Erik be a teenager in the 40s....... He still would have been the same age he was in the 60s regardless of first class......

[=]
Old 04-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #361
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I've seen your 90s logic before and its still ridiculous considering all the era specific things from cars, clothes, technology, brandings, and songs..... Its in no shape way or form the 90s as much as you try to force it. Its more believable that some mutants age slower than it is to believe it was the 90s..........
I'm not necessarily saying it must be the 90s but it certainly must be somewhere between 1994 and 2004 in order for Magneto and Xavier to be in their 60s. No way are they older than that. Patrick Stewart was 59 when X1 was made (and 60 when it was released) and Ian McKellen was 60 when X1 was made (and 61 when it was released).

Bear in mind that X1 was filmed in the 90s - in 1999. Taking into account the car made in 2001 that was shown in X2 and the NSync song that was released in 2000 and featured in X2, and we are still within the 1994-2004 range I suggested. Okay, so it's just in the 00s rather than in the 90s but it's still within the range suggested and still feasible.

As for slowed ageing, the only onscreen evidence for that is with Mystique, as Beast examines her cell structure in First Class and says she ages at half the normal rate. She was credited as 'Young Raven (Aged 10)' in the 1944 opening sequence of First Class. Between 1994 and 2004 she woould thus be aged between 60 and 70 but appears half that (30 to 40) due to her slowed ageing. That roughly fits with how Rebecca Romijn looked in the role - in fact, the actress was aged 27 to 34 during the production of the original trilogy.

None of the others have been said to have Mystique's level of slowed ageing (except Wolverine of course). So we can't just say 'Oh, well actually Magneto was 98 or 123 in the original trilogy'. You have to be logical about it.

The crucial thing here is the 1944 opening sequence of First Class and X1, which provides a starting point.

But I think the filmmakers are likely to leave it vague in order to prevent these sorts of discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
And yes the age gap can indeed happen with brothers but what makes the brother dynamic interesting is Scott and his younger brother. You lose that sibling rivalry imo with a massive age gap and you essentially have to give Scott the characterization of Alex in the comics since Alex is the older one in the movies....

Its incredibly messy and if they can't do it right they shouldn't try at all imo.
I doubt they will ever depict Alex and Scott as brothers or even as being in any way related. I'd hate it if Alex was Scott's dad, it would feel totally wrong.

But if they were to show them as brothers, we'd be unlikely to get the level of complexity or character development you suggest. It would be enough for one of them to discover that they had a sibling, and maybe for them to meet. We know from the comics (and the original trilogy) that Alex doesn't stick around anyway.

However, as they have yet to acknowledge any of the other comic book family relationships, like Mystique/Azazel/Nightcrawler, I doubt they are going to bother with Scott/Alex unless it offers a crucial plot point. For instance, Alex dies in battle in 1973 and his last words are for them to find his younger brother Scott.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #362
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
As of Thursday, Halle still in Brazil:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1314811

Am I the only one who thinks she is waaay further along than 3 months? That's looking a lot more like...five.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #363
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

A few pages back I noted that she could be 5 mos. along. I don't think it should make too much of a difference.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #364
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I'm not necessarily saying it must be the 90s but it certainly must be somewhere between 1994 and 2004 in order for Magneto and Xavier to be in their 60s. No way are they older than that. Patrick Stewart was 59 when X1 was made (and 60 when it was released) and Ian McKellen was 60 when X1 was made (and 61 when it was released).

Bear in mind that X1 was filmed in the 90s - in 1999. Taking into account the car made in 2001 that was shown in X2 and the NSync song that was released in 2000 and featured in X2, and we are still within the 1994-2004 range I suggested. Okay, so it's just in the 00s rather than in the 90s but it's still within the range suggested and still feasible.
2000-2004 is very likely. X1 and X2 happened pretty close apart, and X3 was at least a year gap between X2 and X3. I think that much is obvious.

as for the aging thing, yeah, i'm aware... but that's the only way X1 even makes sense... but then again, my grandpa just turned 80 and he was a pretty healthy and strong man in his 70s still... Hell for those who are in there mid to late 20s now.. i bet about half of their parents (at least) are approaching 60 and still look younger than Mckellan in X1...

I think people have an odd perception about age sometimes. It's not horrible thing to think Eric and Charles are in their 70s in the original trilogy

[=]
Old 04-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #365
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

^^ I'm thinkin that's a pic of her when she was pregnant with her with her first child and was just posted for comparison with the other pic. I might be wrong?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #366
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
^^ I'm thinkin that's a pic of her when she was pregnant with her with her first child and was just posted for comparison with the other pic. I might be wrong?
Was she rocking a short haircut back then? I seem to remember she had long hair throughout the time she was carrying Nahla.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #367
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Was she rocking a short haircut back then? I seem to remember she had long hair throughout the time she was carrying Nahla.
That's a pic of Halle from the Rio premiere of The Call. It was a few days ago. She could be further along, but some women just show a lot earlier. It's amazing what clothing and angles can do. Here she is the following day:

Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #368
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
I think you might be right!

You got to wonder why Halle picked that cob-webbed of a dress tho! It's atrocious! LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #369
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

She doesn't look that bad in that pic...

Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #370
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I think you might be right!

You got to wonder why Halle picked that cob-webbed of a dress tho! It's atrocious! LOL
Haha it's pretty unflattering, but it is more elegant from the front.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #371
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

honestly.... i could see storm wear that

[=]
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #372
JP
Smelly

Ashmore has been in Montreal for a few days. Cudmore is still in LA but seems to be headed there soon.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #373
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Haha it's pretty unflattering, but it is more elegant from the front.
It is? I have to agree with EnDz0n3: it's atrocious...even if she wasn't pregnant. The dress is too tight around her tummy and not in a flattering way.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #374
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
That's a pic of Halle from the Rio premiere of The Call. It was a few days ago. She could be further along, but some women just show a lot earlier. It's amazing what clothing and angles can do. Here she is the following day:

Wow, that is amazing. Clearly, single piece outfits show a lot more on her. Perhaps in DoFP she'll be rocking two-piece outfits.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #375
Double B
Side-Kick

FLOATY DRESSES.

I will say it until I get it. Something billowy and not too tight round the tummy but glamorous.

Closed Thread