View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - Part 11

It could be easily changed to "Ule" (i think it's traslated that way from greek), which means "Hello", or replace it with "Alala" that was Ares battlecry.

Ancient greeks usually personificate everything, so sometimes Alala could be Goddes of Battlecries and daughter of Ares.

I really dig the second one.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #27
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Tell it to Warner Bros. They need all the help they can get.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #28
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
When you read the comics, how does she sound to you? I know most animated and video game versions give her the American accent. I would just go with a slight Greek dialect. Not like blatantly Big Fat Greek Wedding, but hints of it.
i personally would love diana to sound how lynn collins sounded as dejah thoris in john Carter she gave a hint of an accent that just gave dejah this regal vibe and felt otherworldly and gave her such a presence
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #29
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i personally would love diana to sound how lynn collins sounded as dejah thoris in john Carter she gave a hint of an accent that just gave dejah this regal vibe and felt otherworldly and gave her such a presence
In the DVD commentary the filmmakers talk about how impressed they were with Collins' performance because they think the character is a bit unrelatable to the general audience. Dejah Thoris to them represented ideals that were so high-minded. That's what fans have been saying about Wonder Woman, who is idealistic and brave.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #30
fanboiii
disciple of truth

So the Amazons are Greek?

Greek historian Herodotus described the Amazons as tall, blond warrior women (which is why I like when Hippolyta is blond). Turns out the Amazons may have been from Russia.

Check out this documentary on uncovering the historical Amazons:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv2...men_shortfilms

Of course the movie would have it's own fictional origin of the Amazons, but I wouldn't want them to be Greek. It would be better if they were a diverse patchwork of nomadic warrior women who settled on a secluded island. They would be forced to learn each other's native languages including English. So that's how Diana can speak to Steve Trevor. Amazons teach multiple languages.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperborea

Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Not a damn person here can describe Diana Prince's personality, yet the main issue is how clothes she's wearing?
I would like Wonderwoman to have a Dominatrix Queen perosnality like Emma frost but with the *****iness replaced with the heart of an Angel.Id also like her to have Emma frost intellect and ability to get into peoples head.

Last edited by Zionite1; 04-05-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #33
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
I would like Wonderwoman to have a Dominatrix Queen perosnality like Emma frost but with the *****iness replaced with the heart of an Angel.Id also like her to have Emma frost intellect and ability to get into peoples head.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocanrol View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazons

lol, what's your point?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

My point is that the greeks known the northern kin, and would recognize them. Even in the link you post it, specifies that Themischyra is based on the river Terme, in Turkey.

Given those facts, (and the statement that amazons are in present, a mythos) its really hard that came from russian origins.

But, even if that narrow posibility of their existence being truth, and the even narrower chance that they came from "beyond the north", in the ww universe, they worship greek gods, they are greek-cultured, etc. So has been implicit stablished that they are in fact, greeks.

I liked in the JLU that the girls lost in voyage were magically found in the shores of the island.

Sorry if you understand something, english is not my native language.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #36
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

I think Steve Trevor should be a link.

In the Amazon's presence, they talk in English.

I personally think it would be bold to have them talk in different tongue, with subtitles on the bottom.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
fanboiii
disciple of truth

The Greek didn't equate Amazons with Hyperboreans. Turkey isn't north of Greece. The Amazons were never Greek. They were described as foreigners. Anyway, watch the video.

In new 52, the Greek Gods are more universal forces. They are called War, Harvest, Hell, etc. In previous comics, Amazons weren't really Greek either. The were souls from all sorts of women. It's lack of creativity that Amazon culture is made to look like wealthy Greeks with white togas that live in marble temple houses. It doesn't really make sense.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #38
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

The greek civilization did indeed set foot in the Anatolia region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolia

And even Thrace, was considered the home of Ares, god of war.

But i'll see the vid later, in my house :P

Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #39
KingMadness
Side-Kick

lmfao

I didn't say her accent, I said her personality. What does Diana contribute to the Justice League that is unique from the other members? If you strip Diana of her costume and powers, who is she? What would she do? And why?

We can answer this question with Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Hal Jordan, Wally West, etc, but we have a hard time answering this question for Diana Prince and that's a problem.

And yet you guys would rather argue about how much clothes she is wearing, in 2013.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #40
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Her accent is a reflection of her personality. If we just accept that she's from an ancient Greco-Roman society then that will partly determine how she behaves in the outside world. The lessons of the Greek goddesses are reflected in the Amazons, and they were taught to Diana. How she regards peace, war, community, friendship, and so forth. It would be safe to assume she is generous and polite most of the time. But when it comes to battle she's probably as fierce and disciplined as the mightiest warrior. It can also be assumed she is curious and adventurous in exploring the outside world, but probably not excitable at every sudden moment.

even with bare hands.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #41
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

^That.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #42
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
How she regards peace, war, community, friendship, and so forth. It would be safe to assume she is generous and polite most of the time. But when it comes to battle she's probably as fierce and disciplined as the mightiest warrior. It can also be assumed she is curious and adventurous in exploring the outside world, but probably not excitable at every sudden moment.

Vaguest description I've ever read in my life. But at least we're on the right track.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #43
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Wrote this elsewhere:

Wonder Woman has much more situational, spontaneous thinking. In extreme cases, she will be driven to kill or act violent. She doesn't limit herself the way Superman and Batman does, but she does practice restraint.

Whereas Batman inhibits emotion, Wonder Woman involves emotion. At times her emotions does get the best of her, but she also knows to control and manage her emotions in a way that benefits her. Wonder Woman's emotions strengthen her and make her more in-tuned to people's needs despite sometimes steering her in a wrong direction, which realistically happens to everyone. I like that "in the moment" and situational quality she has. Batman plans things ahead with careful strategy; Superman stays above things and acts on principles; Wonder Woman intuitively responds directly and is right in the present. It works nicely with her power because truth is afterall true in the moment.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #44
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
If we just accept that she's from an ancient Greco-Roman society
LOL, do you know how they viewed women?

The Amazons definitely wouldn't have Greek/Roman culture. They may adopt aspects from feminine Greek cults, but those were obscure in Greek/Roman society. They would piece together their own culture.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #45
phoenixflight
Amazing Amazon

Quote:
I said her personality. What does Diana contribute to the Justice League that is unique from the other members? If you strip Diana of her costume and powers, who is she? What would she do? And why?
Diana's nickname--the Amazon Princess--illustrates the beautiful dichotomy of her character. She's a powerful, strong-willed woman who would never back down from a fight or a challenge, but she's also a lover of peace who would never seek a fight or a conflict. She's simultaneously both the most fierce and most nurturing member of the team. With her powerful abilities and vast training, Diana is capable of going toe-to-toe with just about any hero or villain. She's also experienced at handling threats that range from common crime to crimes that are of a magical or supernatural nature. She commands respect both as Wonder Woman and Diana Prince, the ambassador of a warrior nation. She's got political connections that could be useful to the Justice League, and she's exactly who you want with you in the trenches.

Not sure where I got this from, but I feel it speaks volumes on Diana as a person and her motivation.

Last edited by phoenixflight; 04-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
LOL, do you know how they viewed women?

The Amazons definitely wouldn't have Greek/Roman culture. They may adopt aspects from feminine Greek cults, but those were obscure in Greek/Roman society. They would piece together their own culture.
This is just going with what the comics have. We can discuss actual history until we're dead, but deserves a separate thread.

even with bare hands.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Vaguest description I've ever read in my life. But at least we're on the right track.
You could just read the comics if you want to know specific examples.

even with bare hands.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #48
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
This is just going with what the comics have. We can discuss actual history until we're dead, but deserves a separate thread.
Not really. Even in the comics the Amazons didn't have Greek/Roman culture. They had their own culture. Like I said, they could have borrowed from the Greeks.

This thread is about a Wonder Woman movie. We can discuss both comics and history or whatever affects the depiction of the character.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #49
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

The amazons are clearly based on the classic greek culture (at least in the comics). That it's not a point of discussion. We can discuss how much could be bent that concept, and if said concept could be relatable for a movie medium.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #50
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: