Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #476
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
I know that, Rodman. I'm just keeping to the comics lore.
Bear in mind that, ethnically, they probably had nothing in common with modern Turks, who were originally steppe nomads before they swept in.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #477
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Clark's quirks is that he's still holds very simple American/Midwest values. Working hard, doing the right thing, being honest, looking out for your neighbors. Ironically, he's more down to Earth because he's out in the open and chooses a reporter's life when he could literally be a billionaire like Bruce too. He's sweet, earnest and direct.

Bruce is a Byronic character with a double life as a vigilante. He's aggressive, stoic, brooding, no nonsense. He's cunning, charming, and dangerous. Bruce still has billionaire in him as Batman. He has the expensive gadgets; he looks down on crooks. His mission is to clean up his city like a self-appointed super mayor.

Diana like Bruce was raised privileged. He's rich, she's royalty. There's a difference there. I see Diana as having a regality that Bruce doesn't have. Superman or Batman, Wonder Woman is high-born. She feels obligated to do good so in a sense it's more ingrained in her to be a superhero because that's what she would be doing anyway. It's not that she chooses to be a superhero, the role of a Wonder Woman is already equivalent to what a superhero is. So Diana has a royal elegance about her. I don't see her as a savage warrior. Her training is formal. Her demeanor is more like a soldier or knight than a warrior. Even in Azzarello's run, she shows more restraint than being battle hungry. She seems to enjoy the game of combat far more than the violence of it. Perhaps, well see more Athena as hinted.

Anyway, aside from having the royal princess mission of making the world better, I think Diana is the most personable. Bruce doesn't even compare because shuts everyone away. While, Clark is very friendly and gets to know everyone, he doesn't really let anyone into his life. Diana is different. She isn't about secret identities. Diana Prince isn't really a disguise. It's just a way to dress down so she can blend in and avoid attention. It's more like a celebrity avoiding the paparazzi. Diana is also a people person like Clark, and Superman will do want he can directly and give advice. However, Wonder Woman really reaches out to people. She invests herself and allows people into her life to help them. In both Hiketeia and Azzarello's run, she dedicates all her time to protect someone. So she shows more individual care than either Batman or Superman. That's not to say Superman or Batman is less compassionate, but they each practice compassion with a different emphasis. Peace on Earth, War on Crime, Spirit of Truth. Superman protects and inspires good from above, Batman battles crime in the trenches, Wonder Woman has your back and fights for you. There's the trinity. In that sense, Diana has more warmth about her.
I really do like that aspect of her identity, that she's not hiding who she is, that being a superhero is her natural state. I also really like her as the personable one of the Trinity, the one who always emotionally connects with the people. I really like the idea of fulfilling Marston's original dream: making femininity powerful. Taking all that emotional-ness and showing why its necessary to save the world on a super-powered scale.

I think that energy, that very present-ness in every situation, with every pain, with every issue, I think that's a very endearing character, one I would like to see on screen very much. One I would root for. One who could go into a final conflict without this stoic face, but full of righteous indignation with everyone like "yeah, Diana, get 'im!" Or even better "Oh, you guys done did it now, you made sweet ol' Diana angry!" That kind of reaction would be awesome, and refreshing and a lot of things. Of course, I think this may run back to the savage warrior bit, but in a way that is emotionally satisfying instead of emotionally distancing.

Of course, bringing about this emotional character requires proxies. People, or a person, who represents these larger groups. Steve for the military of course, maybe Zola or Etta for the innocents of man's world (meaning they are a mess that Diana helps cope/survive/thrive) and others, depending on what other forces at work. I guess all epic films do this, but here it'd be more... personal, I think.

Anyhow, good analysis, I do agree. Her ability to engage people, even the people she's fighting against, set her apart... because she's really not fighting against them, as much as she's fighting for others, including, in round about ways, the people she's fighting... except Ares... she really is just fighting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
I was thinking lately about some of the themes that a WW movie might explore (mostly how they would come across in the trailer and look as cool as Man of Steel). How does this sound:

We could get a conversation early on between Diana and Hippolyta; Diana asks "Are we free?" to which her mom points out they're free from war, disease, male dickishness, etc., (and those bracelets are just a reminder of how they used to be slaves and now they're not, so it's all good). Diana points out that she's never left the island her entire life.

The subject is revisited later on, Wondy chats with Steve Trevor about being a soldier, duty, honor, and some talk about what that means in today's world. So rather than simply a desire for freedom, Diana would incorporate those ideas of duty and service to a higher cause into her philosophy.

Thoughts?
Interesting... I like the Freedom bit, but duty and honor and soldier-ness seem a little small, not that the average person shouldn't have honor, but not everyone has any significant duty or a visceral war to fight... but consequences for freedom, that is a great line... and I think it goes well with the idea of Truth, which is one of Wonder Woman's themes... that when one tells the Truth, ie, their civilian identity, then all of a sudden, one is free, but also in danger. Going further, the Truth can be incredibly liberating for some, but damning for others who have done wrong, are not well, or are otherwise in denial about something. The Truth makes friends and enemies alike.

Let Steve be about duty, but Diana should transcend that.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #478
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Everyone needs to see this it's just... wonderous.

And I would love to see a scene like this in the movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*

Last edited by jaymes_e06; 05-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #479
shauner111
Side-Kick

It's good but she's way too muscular.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #480
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

The first one yeah but the other two not so much.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #481
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Only Arnie would find that attractive!

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #482
MCU
Side-Kick

I actually think she looks nasty in all those pics lol. To muscular.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #483
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

The physique is fine. It shows she's got the power to back it up. But the armor design is just too busy. At this rate we might have to resort to 18th century European floral motifs just to make her look more fashionable.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #484
MCU
Side-Kick

I disagree, Angelina Jolie(when younger), Zoe Saldana, Janifer Lawrence all played action heroines before and they dont look like muscle freaks. Guerentee the girl that plays wonder woman wont be muscular. The most muscular would be Gina Carano but she actually looks attractive actually. Lol at that that first pick with her arm bigger than cavills haha.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #485
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Only Arnie would find that attractive!
She's alright, legs are effing huge though.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #486
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

WW is going to be in the Smallville comic. Should be interesting to learn how they designed her and what story they gave her...

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/05/10/...-wonder-woman/

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #487
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
There's different valid interpretations of Wonder Woman. She's not like Batman/Superman where she's been mostly the same for 20-60 years.

Like I said, I don't want Lawrence necessarily, and I have no problem with actors who aren't popular or have won Oscars so long as they show the potential to be very popular and win Oscars. This is what was done for previous superhero films, I wouldn't want any less for Wonder Woman.

So... are you saying these character-driven blockbusters are entirely theoretical? I mean, anything is possible, but in learning to do something new, you make mistakes, missteps and you go back and try again. Is that what you want for WW? Her to be someone 'trying out' some new storytelling techniques? Trying out and actress and hoping they do better than they've ever done rather than getting an actress that always does well?

On Casting Diana

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. They should be casting 'Diana' with the small caveat that the actress should be able to manifest some physicality. When we first meet the character, when she's in her version of the forgetten prison, or the solitary tugboat, we should instantly be able to identify and feel for this character. When this character talks, and emotes and vocalizes her struggle, we should be on board from then. Before there's any costume to fanwank over, or any sexiness to normal wank over, there should be a character that we can instantly identify with. That's the primary concern, especially for a female-led action film. Making her not a sex object first, but a person first, so that even when she become this incredible super-hawt superheroine, that's not how we define her. The Ws or Eagle and stars/whatever have meaning for us as more than just decoration for her breasts and buttocks. That's the key. The few successful female-centric western action films have done this. Tomb Raider. Kill Bill.
Okay, one character driven block-buster or busters that come to mind is Pirates of the Caribbean. Johnny Depp did not method act but instead character acted as Jack Sparrow which carried the film. There are plenty of other examples of character acting being the focus of blockbuster films, but I don't feel like pulling examples or getting off on a tangent.

As far as the actress cast as WW, I agree with your points, but also think that just because YOU haven't seen an actress pull a great performance or that she is not known by the mass audience that it isn't possible for an actress, thought not widely/critically known to do so. No I don't feel it would be a gamble for them to cast someone that hasn't been nominated for an award or is not on the "who's hot" radar. This is how actors get their jobs. They do well and get known. Who is to say that there is an actress that has done tv or bit roles in movies for years doesn't blow Lawrence away in the auditions as WW. It is possible.

Now with that said I agree with your points on WW. I think they should follow a similar formula to the DTV cartoon movie.

By the time this film gets the greenlight I'm sure we will have a nice choice of actresses to choose from and not just Lawrence and Blunt.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #488
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
Okay, one character driven block-buster or busters that come to mind is Pirates of the Caribbean. Johnny Depp did not method act but instead character acted as Jack Sparrow which carried the film. There are plenty of other examples of character acting being the focus of blockbuster films, but I don't feel like pulling examples or getting off on a tangent.

As far as the actress cast as WW, I agree with your points, but also think that just because YOU haven't seen an actress pull a great performance or that she is not known by the mass audience that it isn't possible for an actress, thought not widely/critically known to do so. No I don't feel it would be a gamble for them to cast someone that hasn't been nominated for an award or is not on the "who's hot" radar. This is how actors get their jobs. They do well and get known. Who is to say that there is an actress that has done tv or bit roles in movies for years doesn't blow Lawrence away in the auditions as WW. It is possible.

Now with that said I agree with your points on WW. I think they should follow a similar formula to the DTV cartoon movie.

By the time this film gets the greenlight I'm sure we will have a nice choice of actresses to choose from and not just Lawrence and Blunt.
I'm not talking about just me. I'm talking about if no one has seen an actress pull off a great performance in the history of planet Earth. This seems to be the case with the otherwise solid actress Gemma Arterton. Who cares if they're hot or popular if we know they've done an outstanding job in smaller parts and films. *That's* how actors get their jobs: they do well, and then they get bigger parts, bigger opportunities to do well. If they dont' do well, they don't get more and bigger parts, because they don't have the ability to do so. Because it's a skill, not a game of chance.

No matter their natural talent, inexperienced people don't just walk off the street into their local dojo and beat the black belts there. Even if a black belt has a bad day somehow and is defeated in a fluke, the black belt has proven their ability to operate at a high level in all manner of circumstances over a long period of time, which is required for a film. The amateur, even if they did really good one time in an audition room, has not, and they will be running into the arduous performance-impacting rigors of being in a huge film for the first time. No matter how well someone does in an audition, if you have a 100 million dollar investment, you pick the one you know will be consistent.

Because acting is a skill, and not a game of chance, you can't "get lucky" somehow. Look at films that did open auditions to find someone with the perfect look to play a character, as opposed to a skilled experienced actor. Those performances are not outstanding, they are simply passable. That is an artistic choice, a valid one, but to act like we can have it both ways, that we can have an inexperienced unaccomplished performer with the perfect look and no previous image AND get a great performance, that's not reality, that doesn't make any sense to me, and I haven't seen it in history.

The issue with female actresses is a persistent one. If we'd had this conversation ten years ago we'd have been stuck on Bullock and Jolie, who I'd like even less as Diana, even back then. The only way Hollywood will start turning it around is if there's a really big really successful female action movie, and WW can do that, but only if the lead actress knocks it out of the park and becomes America's sweetheart... and that means the greatest performances can't be other people around her.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 05-14-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #489
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Everyone needs to see this it's just... wonderous.
Seen it a while ago. No actress is going to have that musculature. Bustier is too busy/scale pattern too dense and would be better with a higher bust line and straps. Would rather have a more practical crown too. I like the boots though.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #490
sahin
Side-Kick

BRIDGET REGAN WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THE ROLE!!!

She'll always be my first Choice for WW!
Not only because of her look. Her Acting and Fighting-Skills she proved in 'Legend of the Seeker' is really convincing. She can also deliver this soft Side of Diana very well.

That's why i just don't understand why People here reject her as a possible Choice just because she's TV-Actress. So was Henry Cavill by the way!!!
For a little convincement check out some Gif Hunts of her here and here.

P.S.: I just can't accept Gina Carano as WW. Because i just can't see the sensitivity and Dynamic of WW in her. BUT I'D PREFER HER AS LARA CROFT!!! For that she'd be great.

When it comes to the other Characters, i'd choose

Bradley Cooper for Steve Trevor

and
Lynn Collins for Cheetah

Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #491
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Which brings me to-

Sandra Bullock as Hippolyta?

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #492
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Not with that whiney voice lol

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #493
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
That's why i just don't understand why People here reject her as a possible Choice just because she's TV-Actress.
It's not because she's a TV actress, it's because she's not a very good actress. She was passable in a low budget TV show most of the time. That won't cut it for the big leagues. Acting isn't a set of checkboxes, where one person's ability to show the soft side is equal to all others. Acting is an art, one that Regan does not do at a very high level, as is attested to by the types of projects she's done since Seeker. Just because you like looking at her doesn't mean anyone else will fall in love with her character. The only thing she's perfect for his fanposters.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #494
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It's not because she's a TV actress, it's because she's not a very good actress. She was passable in a low budget TV show most of the time. That won't cut it for the big leagues. Acting isn't a set of checkboxes, where one person's ability to show the soft side is equal to all others. Acting is an art, one that Regan does not do at a very high level, as is attested to by the types of projects she's done since Seeker. Just because you like looking at her doesn't mean anyone else will fall in love with her character. The only thing she's perfect for his fanposters.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #495
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I don't dislike Regan but I'm over her and I don't see her ever getting enough attention to get such a huge role.

There are super low profile actresses who have buzz on them and she isn't one of em. She's a T.V actress and there is nothing wrong with that.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #496
Blackman
King Kong

Regan imo has always been overrated. I never liked her for Diana

Old 05-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #497
MCU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Regan imo has always been overrated. I never liked her for Diana
I agree. I think the movie would fail with her as Wonder Woman. Just my opinion.

I wanna see FF6 to judge Carano more.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #498
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Seen it a while ago. No actress is going to have that musculature. Bustier is too busy/scale pattern too dense and would be better with a higher bust line and straps. Would rather have a more practical crown too. I like the boots though.
I think the bodice is fine and would probably look better in live action but it could use some straps. And no one ever said the actress needs to look like a line backer to play WW.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #499
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
I think the bodice is fine and would probably look better in live action but it could use some straps. And no one ever said the actress needs to look like a line backer to play WW.
The picture said it, derp. It's a bustier not a bodice. The gold trim on the scales makes it too complicated.

Last edited by fanboiii; 05-14-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #500
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Angelina Jolie for Athena and Hippolyta would be a really smart move.