Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - Part 11

Broken vid

Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #52
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

eh. it was a link to meredith brooks' "*****". no one's missing anything.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #53
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocanrol View Post
The amazons are clearly based on the classic greek culture (at least in the comics). That it's not a point of discussion. We can discuss how much could be bent that concept, and if said concept could be relatable for a movie medium.
Yes it is a point of discussion even if you don't want to get into it. Ancient Greek culture isn't the only way to go.

Based on? No. Visually resembling? To a very small extent. The Amazons only superficially resemble Ancient Greek culture and that's only the aristocratic/mythic/stereotypical side of Greek culture. You know there's much more to Greek culture than that? The Amazons only have white togas, temple houses, etc. in certain runs in the comics. That's a thin resemblance to Greek culture. You seem to think there's only one interpretation of the Amazons, which isn't true.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #54
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

For a movie they're probably just gonna stick with the Medi/Greek influence just to keep it to the point.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #55
fanboiii
disciple of truth

How would that keep it "to the point" and why would they just stick with golden/silver age stuff?

Nolan's Batman and Man of Steel changed things up. Thor changed things up. Then you have movies like Clash of the Titans and Immortals that are actually about Greek myths, and they changed things up as well.

A little Greek culture influence is fine, but making the Amazons resemble Perez's run makes little sense. Making the Amazons actually appear Greek makes even less sense.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #56
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Ancient Times. The Army Of Ares, has pillaged and is spreading to Turkey. A fierce group of women warriors known as the Amazon's are preparing for the attack on their city of Themyscira. Queen of the Amazons, has since a child believed herself to be the daughter of the God of War...proceeds to the top of her palace and pleads with all her belief to the Gods of Olympus to spare the world the wrath of Ares...She and her amazons will fight to the death. ..and if however they lose...she will grant the Gods the gift of her amazing city...in exchange for destroying Ares' army.

After the battle...Hippolyta faces the chieftain of the army. A man...who claims to be the human incarnation of Ares...Hippolyta believes him. As the chieftain slays Hippolyta. ..the Heavens open...the city of Themyscira begins to rumble and crack..the Army of Ares is destroyed. ..the city of Themyscira vanishes...the Gods claiming it as their own.

Modern times. Diana Prince, a young and fiercely compassionate woman. A member of the Hellinic Air Force of Greece. Born in Greece, raised in the US. Following the death of her mother and absence of her father, she returned back to her native home at the age of 18.*She felt compelled to study business and politics, seeing the difference between the US and Greece. Ultimately joining the Hellian Army. However she felt uncomfortable with the prospect of using weapons up close to kill...after her mother's death, she couldn't bear to be close to death...in the air...she was at a safe distance. Also her mother claimed, her father was a pilot.

Soon enough...countries are at loggerheads...the world is in the panic of a WW3 brewing. Diana begins to receive strange visions...her mother. ..beckoning her to come to Themyscira.Disturbed, but driven, Diana flies out to sea...to discover the island. Breached between the realms of Earth and the Underworld.The Island appears to be nothing from a distance. ..but up close. It is a paradise.

Diana lands...and is greeted by the woman of myth, the Amazon's. Diana then comes face to face with her deceased mother. She reveals herself to be Hippolyta. The woman Diana knew was a reincarnation, granted by the word of Zeus...Hippolyta tells Diana that she was born for a purpose...to save the world from the second coming of Ares, the God of War...her grandfather. The growing threat of war was destined by history. Ares strength grew through every war...and now, his power is influencing the decision of others. Whoever wants the war to start...that country will embody the influence of Ares' Army...they are already the enemy. If another war erupts, Ares will win and will overthrow Zeus as King...Nations will fight and die in his name.

Diana is given the task of being ambassador for peace talks. The Gods have blessed her with the gifts since birth. If Diana however cannot find peace with words...she must find it in battle. Only she can stop it...only she can stop Ares.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #57
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

Why would make little sense? I don't understand your logic fanboiii. Could you explain yourself?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Ancient Times. The Army Of Ares, has pillaged and is spreading to Turkey. A fierce group of women warriors known as the Amazon's are preparing for the attack on their city of Themyscira. Queen of the Amazons, has since a child believed herself to be the daughter of the God of War...proceeds to the top of her palace and pleads with all her belief to the Gods of Olympus to spare the world the wrath of Ares...She and her amazons will fight to the death. ..and if however they lose...she will grant the Gods the gift of her amazing city...in exchange for destroying Ares' army.

After the battle...Hippolyta faces the chieftain of the army. A man...who claims to be the human incarnation of Ares...Hippolyta believes him. As the chieftain slays Hippolyta. ..the Heavens open...the city of Themyscira begins to rumble and crack..the Army of Ares is destroyed. ..the city of Themyscira vanishes...the Gods claiming it as their own.

Modern times. Diana Prince, a young and fiercely compassionate woman. A member of the Hellinic Air Force of Greece. Born in Greece, raised in the US. Following the death of her mother and absence of her father, she returned back to her native home at the age of 18.*She felt compelled to study business and politics, seeing the difference between the US and Greece. Ultimately joining the Hellian Army. However she felt uncomfortable with the prospect of using weapons up close to kill...after her mother's death, she couldn't bear to be close to death...in the air...she was at a safe distance. Also her mother claimed, her father was a pilot.

Soon enough...countries are at loggerheads...the world is in the panic of a WW3 brewing. Diana begins to receive strange visions...her mother. ..beckoning her to come to Themyscira.Disturbed, but driven, Diana flies out to sea...to discover the island. Breached between the realms of Earth and the Underworld.The Island appears to be nothing from a distance. ..but up close. It is a paradise.

Diana lands...and is greeted by the woman of myth, the Amazon's. Diana then comes face to face with her deceased mother. She reveals herself to be Hippolyta. The woman Diana knew was a reincarnation, granted by the word of Zeus...Hippolyta tells Diana that she was born for a purpose...to save the world from the second coming of Ares, the God of War...her grandfather. The growing threat of war was destined by history. Ares strength grew through every war...and now, his power is influencing the decision of others. Whoever wants the war to start...that country will embody the influence of Ares' Army...they are already the enemy. If another war erupts, Ares will win and will overthrow Zeus as King...Nations will fight and die in his name.

Diana is given the task of being ambassador for peace talks. The Gods have blessed her with the gifts since birth. If Diana however cannot find peace with words...she must find it in battle. Only she can stop it...only she can stop Ares.
Sorry but i dont like this. I think the standard story told in the animated film (with modifications of course) is fine for a film. N o need to make Wonder Woman unaware of her Amazon origins and being an air force pilot

Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #59
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

I was in the process of trying to Nolanize the hell out of it...and I know I mixed in too much of the comics stuff lol

Being in the Greek army and an air force pilot was where I was starting.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #60
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

I had that Amazon tv show premise in mind.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #61
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

My top idea, I wouldn't attempt on film. This is what I originally had in mind for the TV show, and I strayed off lol

In the Mid East, there is a group of freelance mercenaries, called the Amazon's. Banded together from war torn places of life...women broken, forgotten...but determined to be remembered and repaired. They hold the image of the legendary mythological warriors deep inside them...Revolving their worship on the Goddess, Athena.

The women hold themselves in the ruins of a small Greek town. Affectionately naming their base and home, Themyscira.

Procuring food, money and weapons from the bandits and war mongers that threaten innocent people.

One night however. ..a group of men ambush the Amazon's and a battle ensues. Many of the women are raped and then slaughtered.

One of the survivors, the Amazon leader, known only as Hippoloyta prays to Athena for the rdead women..and pleads that their deaths be avenged. ..prays for the end of wars and the beginning of peace.

Then out of the darkness of the stormy and bloodfilled night...a small girl appears. Hippoloyta believes this girl to be the answer to her prays.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #62
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Meh. I like the fact that you are trying but it seems to ambiguous. Why can't there be more magical, for lack of a better word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #63
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Meh. I like the fact that you are trying but it seems to ambiguous. Why can't there be more magical, for lack of a better word.
That's what I had in mind though. For things to be ambiguous. At least for the start.

Like at first we don't know where Diana appears from. She is trained as fiercely as possible by Hippoloyta. As good as she is, we wouldn't know if she was superpowered or not.

But as things go on, we discover Diana's connection to the God's
..and they are drawn to her.

In myth they claim it was because of other religions that Greek God's ceased to exist. That they only existed because of man's belief and faith.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #64
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Wow. That's heavy. A very nice dark subtle take on Wonder Woman. I actually like that, though I'd want more ancientness for the Amazons myself. I think the key is to blend your two takes into something that really fires on all four cylinders of the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
You could just read the comics if you want to know specific examples.
Unfortunately, I don't think so, the comics don't give Diana a specific personality, much less one that contrasts with her teammates. They usually give her the same vague heroic persona that you've listed, in my readings, though sometimes they go with the kind of savage warrior chick you see in B-movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Wrote this elsewhere:

Wonder Woman has much more situational, spontaneous thinking. In extreme cases, she will be driven to kill or act violent. She doesn't limit herself the way Superman and Batman does, but she does practice restraint.

Whereas Batman inhibits emotion, Wonder Woman involves emotion. At times her emotions does get the best of her, but she also knows to control and manage her emotions in a way that benefits her. Wonder Woman's emotions strengthen her and make her more in-tuned to people's needs despite sometimes steering her in a wrong direction, which realistically happens to everyone. I like that "in the moment" and situational quality she has. Batman plans things ahead with careful strategy; Superman stays above things and acts on principles; Wonder Woman intuitively responds directly and is right in the present. It works nicely with her power because truth is afterall true in the moment.
I agree with this, except, her emotions don't get her into any more trouble than Batman's emotionlessness does. That is, because she's the hero of her story, her strengths are strengths unless a villains specifically exploits them, like Lex does Superman's principles or Joker does Batman's... Batmanness. But I like this take, it keeps Diana in the story, because she is the most attached to the characters therein... it's a feminine role, but not one that's weak, and makes the story better as now it has to have something emotional to it. Dang JLA is hard to write for. Regardless, these thoughts go well with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixflight View Post
Diana's nickname--the Amazon Princess--illustrates the beautiful dichotomy of her character. She's a powerful, strong-willed woman who would never back down from a fight or a challenge, but she's also a lover of peace who would never seek a fight or a conflict. She's simultaneously both the most fierce and most nurturing member of the team. With her powerful abilities and vast training, Diana is capable of going toe-to-toe with just about any hero or villain. She's also experienced at handling threats that range from common crime to crimes that are of a magical or supernatural nature. She commands respect both as Wonder Woman and Diana Prince, the ambassador of a warrior nation. She's got political connections that could be useful to the Justice League, and she's exactly who you want with you in the trenches.

Not sure where I got this from, but I feel it speaks volumes on Diana as a person and her motivation.
Everything's Better with Princesses!

But I totally Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
lmfao

I didn't say her accent, I said her personality. What does Diana contribute to the Justice League that is unique from the other members? If you strip Diana of her costume and powers, who is she? What would she do? And why?

We can answer this question with Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Hal Jordan, Wally West, etc, but we have a hard time answering this question for Diana Prince and that's a problem.

And yet you guys would rather argue about how much clothes she is wearing, in 2013.
We'll save the conversation about how ridiculous WW's costume is for another time.

But yeah, this issue is a big one. It's interesting we're starting to come to some consensus around here. If there were some filmmakers who came to the same consensus, we'd have something awesome.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #65
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Thanks man

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #66
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
though I'd want more ancientness for the Amazons myself. I think the key is to blend your two takes into something that really fires on all four cylinders of the character.
Working with that idea in mind.

Keep the women mercenaries. They have made home in the Temple of Athena in Greece. They hold closely to them the ideals and beliefs in their strength as women.

After the attack on the women. The leader begs in the temple to Athena her wishes, the Child appears. She then mysteriously leads them off into the sea. They discover an island, which the girl claims is the long lost city of Themyscira and the Goddess Athena has answered their wishes...

The leader adopts the girl as her own, naming her Diana.

Going in deeply to these women's terrible childhoods, the leader could reckon she never really knew her name...and the rest of women name her Hippoloyta...and name themselves the Amazon's.

The island would serve as their home and base. And where the prophet child, is trained by them to win war and bring peace.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #67
J'adore
Vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Not a damn person here can describe Diana Prince's personality, yet the main issue is how clothes she's wearing?

What the flipping ****
Welcome to the Wonder Woman thread. Enjoy your stay.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #68
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I agree that the most important thing is making Diana an interesting character that audiences will like.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #69
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think so, the comics don't give Diana a specific personality, much less one that contrasts with her teammates. They usually give her the same vague heroic persona that you've listed, in my readings, though sometimes they go with the kind of savage warrior chick you see in B-movies.
That's what's out there. Anymore speculation is merely for fanfiction, which is what we're discussing now - what we want to see in this character. As historically flawed as the character is - we're not paid to make these kind of creative decisions and I don't want to pursue it with the same enthusiasm as I used to. And I surely don't want to give Das Weiner Bros. ideas they can take from me. The guys who wrote the WW2 script got paid millions and we're just throwing out ideas for free.

FOR FREE!

Jane Espenson didn't get her job by throwing out her fanfiction ideas all the time.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #70
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
That's what's out there. Anymore speculation is merely for fanfiction, which is what we're discussing now - what we want to see in this character. As historically flawed as the character is - we're not paid to make these kind of creative decisions and I don't want to pursue it with the same enthusiasm as I used to. And I surely don't want to give Das Weiner Bros. ideas they can take from me. The guys who wrote the WW2 script got paid millions and we're just throwing out ideas for free.

FOR FREE!

Jane Espenson didn't get her job by throwing out her fanfiction ideas all the time.
Lol, you actually have a point...

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #71
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

*edits his post in the my justice league script thread*

Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #72
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #73
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Right. If I were to base something on that Amazon pilot for the CW. Here's my premise.

The story begins in 1974. During the Turkish Invasion of Cyprus.

In the small village of Aloda, a young girl and her sister are being told a story by their grandmother of tales of Greek mythology. Not long later...screams and gunshots are heard. The EOKA B raid the village...slaughtering many innocents. The young girls watch as their family and home are destroyed, barely escaping with their lives.

Years later, as the elder sister passes away, the younger joins the Hellian Army. She excells in combat and flying. But due to her experiences, develops Misandry, a dislike of men. She is soon forced to quit the army as she and a group of female soldiers attack the males for their treatment and attitude.

The females however break off from society, a male controlled society. The women soon enough become their own military group. Where conflict occurs they are there to fight for the Iinnocents. Drafting in young girls and women victims to their group.

The women are dubbed the Amazon's...their leader, Hippolyta.

They form a base at the Old Temple of Athena. An idol of the women, for Athena was the Goddess of many things they hold dear to them as women warriors.

Procuring money, weapons and vehicles from private hire and wars with criminals.

One unsuspecting night however, the women are ambushed at their temple base by a private army and are attacked. Many survive, but so many are captured, raped and murdered.

A raped and injured Hippolyta lies in the ruins and pleads with the great Gods. She prays that they will give the world the strength and courage to live in peace. She begs with all her pain, suffering, compassion, and heart that there will be a way someday.

In those moments. As the rain douses the flames of the temple and washes away the spilt blood of men and women...a young girl enters the temple ruins and tells Hippolyta that she has been created by the Gods to fulfill her prayer for her genuine love for all mankind.

The Gods have instructed the child to bring the women warriors to an island unknown to those who are not worthy of God's attention..The home of the past Amazon women, Themyscira. The Island shall serve as their haven of peace.

The girl promises the warriors that with their guidance, she will control conflict and bring peace.
She then asks Hippolyta if she will give her a name...and it is decided. Diana. Child of the Gods. Daughter of the Amazon Queen. Amazon Princess.

I believe in Batfleck
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #74
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocanrol View Post
WE ALL KNOW. That makes it no longer exclusively yours.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #75
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Going into things.

My explanation is. After Constantine legalised and converted people to Christianity. The Gods stopped existing. People stopped worshipping them. The Gods only existed through the belief and conscious minds of worshippers.

Now say in this WW Verse. The myths were actual real stories.
The monsters that Hercules allegedly slew weren't just fairytale and he wiped them out, just as the comet wiped out the dinosaurs.

Other religions chalked them up the stories as fantasy and we consider them myths, done to keep one God the absolute.
Once people stopped believing and converted, the Gods and all those associated vanished from existence...because they stopped existing as a collective strength from worshippers and faith followers.

They manifest into reality by humans.

Any existence and trace of the Gods, was obliterated by law and conspiracy.
If The League Of Shadows was responsible for every city disaster in Batman Begins...then that's not so far fetched is it? Lol

I believe in Batfleck
Closed Thread