View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #951
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - Part 11

I would actually like it if she had a slight accent. Really subtle.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #952
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

In most books and adaptations her accent is always like a neutral American. Why they always go with that I don't know, I just assume she picked it up spending so much time here. I guess if they're going the more realistic route they'd give her a slight Greek accent or something just to answer the fridge logic as to why she wouldn't. It shouldn't be fully American or British, since neither makes sense.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #953
Rorschach2012
$

It would be ridiculous for Wonder Woman to have an American accent, she's from an island of people who speak Greek. Unless they explain that when she comes to America, she learns English super quickly and learns the American dialect... Otherwise she shouldn't sound American it's ****ing illogical for her to when her people haven't left the island for centuries...

Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #954
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

Zod was Kryptonian and he spoke with an American accent

Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #955
cin0
Atl's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
It would be ridiculous for Wonder Woman to have an American accent, she's from an island of people who speak Greek. Unless they explain that when she comes to America, she learns English super quickly and learns the American dialect... Otherwise she shouldn't sound American it's ****ing illogical for her to when her people haven't left the island for centuries...
Did you read that somewhere? I had no clue everyone on the island was greek. Where was it mentioned that they only speak greek on the island? And why the fuss about an accent thats been nonexistent for as long as WonderWoman has been portrayed? Her character is supposed to represent America, I think it's plenty logical that she has no accent.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #956
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
In most books and adaptations her accent is always like a neutral American. Why they always go with that I don't know, I just assume she picked it up spending so much time here. I guess if they're going the more realistic route they'd give her a slight Greek accent or something just to answer the fridge logic as to why she wouldn't. It shouldn't be fully American or British, since neither makes sense.
I agree with this.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #957
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin0 View Post
Did you read that somewhere? I had no clue everyone on the island was greek. Where was it mentioned that they only speak greek on the island? And why the fuss about an accent thats been nonexistent for as long as WonderWoman has been portrayed? Her character is supposed to represent America, I think it's plenty logical that she has no accent.
It just makes sense that they would be Greek, Themyscira was established during ancient Greek times, so I don't see why they would have American accents, they wouldn't even interact with Americans, until Steve Trevor crashes on the island. For a film, it wouldn't make sense for her to speak Greek, long scenes of subtitles would get annoying. Have her speak english obviously, but with a slight greek accent. But I wouldn't mind an American accent, that's how she's portrayed in animation. A British accent would make more sense than an American one though. Themyscira is supposed to be ancient, and the English accent is a lot older than the American one. Plus a Wonder Woman film would be pretty fantasy, and every American knows...English accent=fantasy.

I think Wonder Woman's costume was originally supposed to represent America, but in modern incarnations, her costume was armor from Themyscira. And I see Wonder Woman as a worldly character, she shouldn't just be limited to America, or have to represent it.

Last edited by Rorschach2012; 06-20-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #958
Rorschach2012
$

Olga Kurylenko

Gemma Arterton

Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #959
smallville fan
Hero

I put this in the JLA casting threads but for Wonder Woman, I'd like to throw in Australian Esther Anderson. She was in the Australian soap opera Home and Away that for many years often produced acting talent which become famous exports. Some of these include Chris Hemsworth, Heath Ledger, Guy Pierce, Isla Fisher, Julian McMahon, Naomi Watts. She even said in an interview that she would like to play Wonder Woman if she could.

So what do you think?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #960
Isub_Zero
Side-Kick

According to IMDB Esther was born in 1979. If it's true...I think she's too old.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #961
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isub_Zero View Post
According to IMDB Esther was born in 1979. If it's true...I think she's too old.
Hey if she looks the part she can play the part as they say. That's kind of why Hollywood keeps casting 20 somethings as High schoolers.

EDIT: Amy Adams is even older by 5 years, yet she looks the same age as Henry. So I don't think being born on 1979 really makes much of a difference here.

Last edited by smallville fan; 06-20-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #962
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

She'll be good for Hippoloyta...

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #963
phoenixflight
Amazing Amazon

Really like this manip of Taylor Cole I found...

Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #964
mhenshaw
Side-Kick

Quote:
It would be ridiculous for Wonder Woman to have an American accent, she's from an island of people who speak Greek.
That makes logical sense, but the goal of filmmaking isn't necessarily logical realism. Remember--characters on screen speak to each other, but the people they're really speaking to are sitting in the audience and if the audience can't understand what the characters are saying, the movie fails (Prime Example #1--Jar Jar Binks).

So WW should either speak the Queen's English in a mild accent or speak Greek with subtitles while she's on the island. No uber-weird accents that make it hard for the audience to understand what she's saying.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #965
phoenixflight
Amazing Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenshaw View Post
So WW should either speak the Queen's English in a mild accent or speak Greek with subtitles while she's on the island. No uber-weird accents that make it hard for the audience to understand what she's saying.
All the more reason I love Gemma Arterton for the role!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #966
terry78

She shouldn't sound like Arianna Huffington or anything, but that accent toned down considerably with maybe emphasis on certain sounds would probably suffice.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #967
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Zod was Kryptonian and he spoke with an American accent
faora and jax ur sound German tho

Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #968
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Just to mess with continuity...

Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #969
shauner111
Side-Kick

Wonder Woman should no longer "represent America". Sorry but it doesn't make sense. Especially since theyre changing Superman so he doesn't come off like he's just the American hero. Diana is not from America, she should be about humanity and equality..it's not about a specific country. Leave the patriotic stuff for Captain America. This won't even be the Justice League of America. It's just the Justice League.

They protect the planet.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #970
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

I think WW should represent the US, as a politician. Trying to keep world affairs in order.

Would be awesome if Lex was president in JL and this tied Diana into things.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #971
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Depends on how they do her background. Completely open to interpretation. Id lean toward American, but British or a sort of Pan-European accent could also work. Like her costume, it will likely be revised for a big budget film. The 70's show and the various cartoons arent a factor btw.

My guess is if this thing ever gets made (huge if), she'll probably have a generic American accent. No biggie.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #972
cin0
Atl's Finest

Quote:
It just makes sense that they would be Greek, Themyscira was established during ancient Greek times, so I don't see why they would have American accents, they wouldn't even interact with Americans, until Steve Trevor crashes on the island. For a film, it wouldn't make sense for her to speak Greek, long scenes of subtitles would get annoying. Have her speak english obviously, but with a slight greek accent. But I wouldn't mind an American accent, that's how she's portrayed in animation. A British accent would make more sense than an American one though. Themyscira is supposed to be ancient, and the English accent is a lot older than the American one. Plus a Wonder Woman film would be pretty fantasy, and every American knows...English accent=fantasy.

I think Wonder Woman's costume was originally supposed to represent America, but in modern incarnations, her costume was armor from Themyscira. And I see Wonder Woman as a worldly character, she shouldn't just be limited to America, or have to represent it.
I still honestly dont understand why it would make more sense like I said before it's a fictional island. I dont think the audience would question something like that. Her not having a Greek or English accent reality shouldnt matter at all, I really dont know why this conversation is being had.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #973
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

If they can speak English, there's no reason for them not to have American accents. That's why she's never had a Greek accent before. Having an actress acquire a perfect, but still understated Greek accent is highly overrated.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #974
terry78

Haha, now that I rethink it, it would be a little too cliche to just give her a brit accent which is so in vogue these days with these kinds of roles. Make her a Joisey girl or nothing.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #975
Project862006
Banned User

i loved lynn collins accent in john carter
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Closed Thread