Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - Part 11

^I concur.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #128
haephestus
Side-Kick

I'd be happy with pants AND skirt. Maybe something similar to this:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...7-1024-768.jpg

Not the best quality image, but I like the "feminine" version of somewhat standard Roman armour. And it somewhat avoids the Xena comparisons since it's Xena's daughter, not actually Xena!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #129
dnno1
Side-Kick

Something like this would be cool.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #130
Project862006
Banned User

seems like something a smallville version would wear

Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #131
jmc
callin' it like I see it

That's Sarah Scott, she's a Facebook friend of mine. British pole dancing champion.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #132
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
That's Sarah Scott, she's a Facebook friend of mine. British pole dancing champion.

Sara Scott as Wonder Woman
(photo by Adam Jay)

Yeah, some guy named Adam Jay took those photos. It's kind of ironic that pole dancing is now a competition sport. Some are actually trying to get it added as an X-game.

I have for a while believed that Wonder Woman should have several styles in her attire with the breastplate, bracers and tiara being the same in all. She could wear a skirt, pants, panties, shorts or colette and be interchangeable with a jacket or cape.

Last edited by dnno1; 04-22-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #133
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

I wouldn't mind WW have many outfits or variations of the skirt, pants, panties, etc.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #134
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I think that's best, and it would draw a few jokes about WW changing clothes so often cuz she's a woman, but it wouldn't be any worse than Iron Man, and should be appropriately story driven.

I see the battle skirt in the arena, the jacket look when she first gets to man's world, and the new movie design hotness when she goes into the third act. Maybe the panties as a nod somewhere. Could be fun. Four different looks, one superhero. Sounds about right to me. Of course... then it becomes a standard of the character, and every sequel they'll be looking for the latest updates.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #135
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

That makes the most sense too. I would like the panties to be a nod and somewhat of a joke, but then Supes or Bats suggests that maybe she cover up...for the kids, while Flash and GL are laughing in the back.

1. pants and jacket outfit
2. Amazonian leisure wear
3. Amazonian battle wear
4. Amazonian inspired Superhero battle wear.
Maybe a bonus outfit somewhere in there.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #136
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I'd want it to be a joke, but not at Diana's expense. Certainly not in a world where kids see that on any beach they go to. More of, a purple stretch pants in Norton's The Incredible Hulk or "yellow spandex" from X-Men 2000. Where the hero (Hulk and Cyclops respectively) are the ones making the joke more than anything, because they are aware intelligent characters. So, something more along the lines of "I want them to fight me, not stare at my legs." than "Huh? Sexuality???"

And I agree on the Amazon leisure wear, but that shouldn't be overly heroic looking, imho.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 04-22-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #137
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

I see what you mean. Yeah I agree that WW should make the joke then rather than the boys. That way it can be her way of kind of acknowledging the old misogynistic views of WW and her underplaying the old look and stepping into her own with a more powerful, contemporary portrayal that she herself deems appropriate.

Also, by Amazonian Leisure I meant something along the lines of Greek/Roman toga look, separate from her battle outfits.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #138
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I would want them to approach Wonder Woman like a period film, where she comes from the Island of Themyscera, which is basically stuck in time.
They are like the ancient Greeks/Romans. And she comes out of that world, that time period, into our world. So her world would be established showing
her in that world not standing out like a sore thumb, I mean look at stuff like Gladiator, or Game of Thrones, or any period film really. She would fit right
in. With her traditional Amazon Warrior armor and clothing. I'd rather her wear a roman armor warrior skirt that goes down to about mid thigh or just above
her knee, and her boots would connect to her knee pads, so that little leg is actually showing. At least not the amount that would be visible with the
swimsuit costume look. For examples there are lots on the Internet, and in my own post, but there is also Xena's costume.
And when she gets to our world she would stand out like a superhero, but there would be a reason for it and not a single person would question it. And
instead of her having a superhero costume like Spider-Man, it would be more like Thor with it being her regular clothing/armor. To me that would work
best, like Thor, she isn't a superhero. She is from another time and place.
So that is who I hope the studios approach her films, as period genre films.

sorry for the largeness of the image.

Found this here: http://rcdraws.carbonmade.com/projects/2176173

Since the film would have to establish the Amazons, Themyscera, and the Wonder Woman mythology as well as the villain for the film,
I think the movie would have to be so fast paced that she would only have one costume for the film, but I could be wrong, and that maybe
in the sequel they could approach the idea of her getting a new modern costume that would include pants. But I'd rather it just be the
traditional armor and battle skirt. After all, isn't her armor made by the gods and that is what helps her be Wonder Woman, as well as being
a trained warrior?

Last edited by Artistsean; 04-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #139
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

In the comics her armor is just armor, with no special anything to it, other than being her trademark. Only in the JLU cartoon did her powers come from her armor at all. The 2009 DTV portrayed this properly.

That last picture is pretty spot on for how I'd want her Themysciran training uniform to look vs the one given to her by the gods as she travels to man's world. I think if you establish Themyscira right (as per an origin film) it will naturally establish the Amazons, WW mythos and the main villain of the film. Then it's just a matter of giving her magical Lucius Fox a reason to make her costume the way it is.

I think Wonder Woman works best in modern times, and I think the period aspect of her character is one that has been grafted on over the years as people have failed to understand her origin and update it properly like they have Superman, Batman and others. Captain America is a product of WWII, Thor is a product of mythology, but Wonder Woman is simply expressed in those terms, and can be expressed in a modern context, with a modern mythology, just as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #140
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

the art is fantastic. but if she's going to have a change in attire i prefer it if it isn't all in one film unless she suits up more then once. honestly, I'm even coming round to those tight ass short shorts.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #141
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
In the comics her armor is just armor, with no special anything to it, other than being her trademark. Only in the JLU cartoon did her powers come from her armor at all. The 2009 DTV portrayed this properly.

That last picture is pretty spot on for how I'd want her Themysciran training uniform to look vs the one given to her by the gods as she travels to man's world. I think if you establish Themyscira right (as per an origin film) it will naturally establish the Amazons, WW mythos and the main villain of the film. Then it's just a matter of giving her magical Lucius Fox a reason to make her costume the way it is.

I think Wonder Woman works best in modern times, and I think the period aspect of her character is one that has been grafted on over the years as people have failed to understand her origin and update it properly like they have Superman, Batman and others. Captain America is a product of WWII, Thor is a product of mythology, but Wonder Woman is simply expressed in those terms, and can be expressed in a modern context, with a modern mythology, just as well.
I was talking purely the visual development aspect, how things would look. How her costume should look, how she would step out of Themyscara and into Mans World and all that, not her personality or character or plot of the film. Simply the visuals.
I think visually she should dress like she stepped out of ancient Rome/Greece and have Themyscara look like its stopped in time, in ancient Rome/Greece.
Character and personality and plot, I don't know. But I am guessing they would base it on her current comics. And in her current comics, she is the daughter of Zues, trained by Ares, and her armor and weapons were created by Huphestus (spelling?). Her guentlets hide her swords, etc. So like the JLU cartoon, the current comics have her armor and weapons be magically powered by the gods.
But I would be totally fine if they do not do that.
But I agree that one movie might be too short of a time to have her change costumes.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #142
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I'd want Themyscira to feel ancient, but also pristine and modern at the same time.

Sort of like Naboo, Asgard, or Atlantis from the disney movie.

(especially if you don't want her jet to feel out of place)

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #143
fanboiii
disciple of truth

I swear this thread goes on an endless loop.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #144
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

I believe the apt term is 'cirrhotic', which a British MP used earlier this year to describe one of Parliament's long-drawn debates. It's quite appropriate for comicbook threads:

Cirrhotic Comicbook Confabulations!

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #145
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I was talking purely the visual development aspect, how things would look. How her costume should look, how she would step out of Themyscara and into Mans World and all that, not her personality or character or plot of the film. Simply the visuals.
I think visually she should dress like she stepped out of ancient Rome/Greece and have Themyscara look like its stopped in time, in ancient Rome/Greece.
Character and personality and plot, I don't know. But I am guessing they would base it on her current comics. And in her current comics, she is the daughter of Zues, trained by Ares, and her armor and weapons were created by Huphestus (spelling?). Her guentlets hide her swords, etc. So like the JLU cartoon, the current comics have her armor and weapons be magically powered by the gods.
But I would be totally fine if they do not do that.
But I agree that one movie might be too short of a time to have her change costumes.
The things we're talking about, costume and story and pacing, all run together. They're not so easy to separate. I think period is a bad idea, because Diana is not about being out of touch with modernity and humanity. That's pretty much the most unappealing version of the character. I don't think Thor would have been as appealing if he looked like he had just stepped out of ancient Norway. Themyscira should be Greek inspired, but advanced enough so that it is a place we can respect, and might want to explore and be in, not a place we've seen before and feel doesn't measure up to the rest of the world. Plus, we don't want to imply that the Amazons haven't been able to come up with any new technology/architecture/clothing styles in two millenia.

I see what you're saying about the armor now. In the JLU cartoon, her armor gave her super strength and flight and durability. Without them, she was just a normal person, really. I don't think it's quite like that in the New 52, but I'm sure Hephaestus gave her some cool weapons.

My suggestion is the ancient-looking costume with the Eagle is the kind everyone on Themyscira has, and the modern one is the one the gods give her when she leaves, as they aren't stuck in Ancient Greece, so that is not their main design inspiration. As I think of it... that's *exactly* what happens in the New 52. It doesn't take any more time than Batman's costume creation, less possibly, depending on how the gods are set up.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #146
tvor03
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
I swear this thread goes on an endless loop.
Until WB finally pulls the trigger and does something, that's all this thread is gonna be.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #147
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

I'm beginning to think I'm the only person over here who wants the classic costume!

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #148
Project862006
Banned User

well they wouldn't even give superman his undies so i doubt diana will get them so lol

Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #149
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

While that is true, MoS's Superman suit is quite close to The New 52 costume. And WW's New 52 costume is indeed a variation of the classic costume and has been well received.

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #150
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I think we're all down for a variation of the classic costume... it's just... 'what variation' and 'how much'

Closed Thread