The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #76
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Default Re: Doctor Who - Regeneration 9 - Part 8

I feel like we should call ourselves something from the show, like Companions, Gallifreyans, or Time Lords/Ladies/Tots.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #77
redmarvel
The Mischievious Elf

Tardisians?

Tardisites?

I prefer Whovians

Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #78
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Whovians is what I've seen in the magazines, so I would go with that.

- CM Punk
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #79
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

The Who.

H.E.(R?)
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #80
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

great episode tonight, Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman were amazing tonight.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #81
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

I really liked this episode.

11 yelling out his memories and dark secrets was intense.

I enjoyed Clara pushing back at the Doctor. He does have boundaries with her and he crossed them. It's a nice contrast to Amy, who had faith in him to no end.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #82
childeroland
Side-Kick

Is the Tardis not letting Clara in with Merry and (maybe) staring down menacingly at her connected to her being "impossible" according to the Doctor? Is this like how the Tardis supposedly (according to Ten) didn't like Jack?

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #83
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I liked the episode. Seeing all of the aliens on the market made recall the excitement I had when watching the cantina scene in A New Hope.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #84
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Is the Tardis not letting Clara in with Merry and (maybe) staring down menacingly at her connected to her being "impossible" according to the Doctor? Is this like how the Tardis supposedly (according to Ten) didn't like Jack?
Maybe something similar going on: With Jack the Doctor himself didn't like being around him at all (it was his instinctive reaction to Jack's impossible 'living fixed point in time' nature), and the Tardis itself travelled to the end of time to try and shake him off.

With Clara the Doctor isn't having any instinctive repulsed reaction at all (quite the reverse), but Clara's "I don't think it likes me" line seems like it was put there for a reason. Since we know the Tardis is sentient now it maybe senses something about her the doctor has yet to figure out.

Or maybe the door was just locked...

Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #85
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I liked the episode. Seeing all of the aliens on the market made recall the excitement I had when watching the cantina scene in A New Hope.
Reminded me of the Troll Market from Hellboy 2

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #86
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I cheered way too much when the Doctor mentioned Susan. Sure it was another one of those passing comments like when he told Rose "I was a dad once," but I got a little joy out of it.

This was a pretty touching episode, and the musical aspect practically screams "I'm going to dominate the next soundtrack CD."

Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #87
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Sadly, I have not seen any of the Hellboy films, even though they are on my list of films to see. Speaking of the episode, I am excited about the preview for next week's episode. It will be nice seeing the Ice Warriors again.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #88
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

One more thing: The Doctor's constant reluctance to give up his sonic screwdriver made me think he was going to sacrifice it as his most valuable item in the end. It's like Chekhov's Gun got jammed.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #89
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Refresh my memory: what is the rule behind the creation of Sonic Screwdrivers. I cannot recall, and the more I think about the Doctor's reluctance, the less sense it makes.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #90
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

There's no real rule to their creation. Some were built by the Doctor in his spare time (one was built by Romana to the Doctor's surprise), and the most recent one was made by the TARDIS. In the TV movie, he had a drawer full of them.

But he's been pretty attached to his screwdrivers these past few seasons. I just figured he didn't want to give it up because he always depends on it. That's enough personal value for him to make a difference.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #91
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Thanks for the clarification.
My brain is somewhat foggy at the moment, as I am operating past my usual bedtime, haha. Speaking of the TV movie, I watched it today, as I was killing time before the movie. I still enjoy it, even though I am not too fond of the circumstances behind the regeneration of the Doctor. Speaking of the 8th Doctor, I have been listening to Dark Eyes, and have to say, it has been an enjoyable listen/story thus far.
Edit: I also like your avvy, Manic. I miss that show.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #92
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I thought there was some real standout moments: mentioning Susan, Clara's bits, the Doctor's speech but I don't feel like the episode actually came together as anything. Also the setting felt incredibly under realized.

The leaf at the end was pretty awful, I would have bought the Doctor's memories being enough to poison the star. I really cannot wait for this "blockbuster" season to be over because its been a big series of duds save for some fantastic character acting and a few decent to good eps.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 04-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #93
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
I cheered way too much when the Doctor mentioned Susan. Sure it was another one of those passing comments like when he told Rose "I was a dad once," but I got a little joy out of it.

This was a pretty touching episode, and the musical aspect practically screams "I'm going to dominate the next soundtrack CD."
I actually said "Susan?! No way!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #94
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
My brain is somewhat foggy at the moment, as I am operating past my usual bedtime, haha. Speaking of the TV movie, I watched it today, as I was killing time before the movie. I still enjoy it, even though I am not too fond of the circumstances behind the regeneration of the Doctor. Speaking of the 8th Doctor, I have been listening to Dark Eyes, and have to say, it has been an enjoyable listen/story thus far.
Edit: I also like your avvy, Manic. I miss that show.
Yeah, the 8th Doctor has been used amazingly on audio. It's a downright shame he didn't work out on TV.

By the by, I still like to think the Doctor is secretly part human but just identifies himself as a Time Lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
Also the setting felt incredibly under realized.
Yeah, I felt like this episode could've used another half-hour to establish the setting and maybe give a little more exposition on their religious beliefs. I felt like everything was sprung on us as soon as it happened.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #95
chaseter
Bland User

The writing felt cheap but the actors delivered this episode so I neither hate nor love. It just felt like a standard entry.

But I did audible laugh when Matt barked.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #96
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Well, it made sense, which is a start.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #97
COMPO
Side-Kick

I've felt like the last two episodes have been rushed to be fair, but I do think this episode was better than the last. I liked the villain, was a good surprise. I was bit :/ with the screwdriver wand thing mainly cos its always been seen as just something that opens doors and stuff. But then you could just say it was a sonic field or sonic beam something like that, which made it okay.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #98
Lord Valumart
Hype's Dr - It's Canon

Yeh, I liked that episode. It had a nice wandering feel about it until **** got real then it all kicked off. Bit annoyed at the dropping off Clara at the end though. That felt pointless.

Twitter: @lordvalumart
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #99
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

This marked the first explicit mention of Susan in the revived series. Anyone else think that there is a chance that Susan may be returning for the 50th? We know that the First Doctor will be popping up. Susan could be coming with him. I still like to think that the old woman at The End of Time was Susan rather than the Doctor's mother. But I wonder if we may get a real reunion between the two?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #100
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Good episode. Great to see the doctor back in space. I likes the alien market scene. Some great alien designs.

That little girl was great in Utopia and she was pretty solid in this episode.