The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #101
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Default Re: Doctor Who - Regeneration 9 - Part 8

It was a good episode. Bringing up Susan was a nice touch.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #102
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post

Yeah, I felt like this episode could've used another half-hour to establish the setting and maybe give a little more exposition on their religious beliefs. I felt like everything was sprung on us as soon as it happened.
Definitely, it needed time to ease us into this world. The bit when the Doctor hooked back up with her and then they were suddenly in the auditorium felt like there was a whole set of scenes missing. I was totally with it until that bit, from there the episode is introducing us to concepts and problems haphazardly: grandfather is their space god, its an evil vampire, its an alarm clock, the star is grandfather, the leaf has potential infinite energy (... WHAT?); it was a pretty poor script.

And it just reinforces in my mind that plot wise we've hit about the lows of the RTD era and the only thing keeping it afloat at this point is the performances of the actors. I mean is emotion leaf really any better than Jesus Doctor descending to destroy the Master? I don't think Moffat's era does bombastic well and this season has been all about bombast and it frustrates me to no end because Smith and co. are acting their hearts out.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 04-07-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #103
Maximus One
Oddball

I wanna see Dominic Monaghan as the next Doctor. I honestly think he'd be ****ing brilliant.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #104
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
This marked the first explicit mention of Susan in the revived series. Anyone else think that there is a chance that Susan may be returning for the 50th? We know that the First Doctor will be popping up. Susan could be coming with him. I still like to think that the old woman at The End of Time was Susan rather than the Doctor's mother. But I wonder if we may get a real reunion between the two?
Maybe Susan was the woman in the shop that gave her the number.

Someone else mentioned that Rose meeting the Doctor happened on the day Clara's mom died.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #105
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

New episodes was solid, but it could have done with another 10 mins and a slight bit of rewriting. It felt like it went on autopilot once the ceremony began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I don't need a wall of text, I know they are different. It still does not change the fact that Moffat uses these romantic devices when he dosen't need to.

And lets not forget that it was Moffat who had 10 willingly dump Rose and Mickey on a spaceship to take the "slowpath" with Reinette.
To ignore their difference is to ignore the entire point. Most if not all fiction involves romance. It is the quality and how it is used that set work a part.

Where as 10 was more romance novel, 11 is more well, not quite as eager for the more obvious physical side of things. Amy, River, and now Clara have all played innuendo game with him, and he just doesn't know how to react. It is as if it is all alien to him. This is the guy who would hit on a tree.

With Amy, he never saw her as anything other then a friend, or probably more accurately, a sister. Nor did she want a great romance with him. She wanted a shag and a way to runaway, and the Doctor wanted to know why a human was kissing him.

River and the Doctor are married, but then again the Doctor is married to many women at the same time. He is after all a time traveler, and we do know he has at least two wives. But marriage here isn't about sex or making babies. This doesn't end on the honeymoon night.. She is his partner in crime, his wife, just like Amy and Rory, yet it is almost too painful for her to be around him. They have crossed over to the point where every time he sees her, she is a bit older. A bit closer to death. In the Ponds finale they touch on what it means to be tied to the Doctor. The one who hates endings, and yet watches as all around him age until the inevitable arrives.

Now there is Clara, a girl who excites him in a way he doesn't quite understand. He is courting her without even realizing he is doing it. And he has done it three times with the same, but not quite the same, girl.

I like how Moffat mixes his takes on romance, without them all leading to what feels like the same inevitable point. RTD's first two companions took the same road. Both completely fell for 10 in the romance novel kinda way, which sadly played into the characterization of the Doctor at that point imo. Rose's farewell all three times, same really sappy stuff, that got very close to creepy.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-08-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #106
obin_gam
Side-Kick

Since the 50th will screen on theaters, theres no reason it should only be England who gets it. Here's a campaing to get the 50th Anniversary show to screen on selected swedish cinemas
(the Iron Sky campaign was successful and actually brought the movie to the cinema, so even if this is never going to happen realisticly, there's a minuscule chance it will :P)

- Gene Wilder
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #107
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I tell him I don't need a wall of text...and he writes a wall of text...

Not to mention that strain of convo is over with. Time to move on.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #108
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I always saw the Doctor's relationship with Amy as more of a father-daughter relationship. He met her when she was only 7 years old. And although 14 years passed for Amy, the Doctor started traveling with a 21 year old woman a mere hour or so after meeting her as a little girl. I think he latched onto her in a fatherly way, the same way he has with companions like Vicki or Ace. You can see it in the way we kept revisiting little 7 year old Amelia in stories like The God Complex, or the way he took her up to bed toward the end of Big Bang.

Of course, from Amy's perspective (after realizing she really did love Rory after all and she wasn't just settling), the Doctor is more of a best friend or weird older brother.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #109
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Switching gears to the strange history of Clara Oswald:

Clara's mother died in the 5th of March in 2005 (we saw the gravestone). That's the same day Rose met the Doctor. All those "missing" posters Jackie put up when Rose disappeared said she was last seen on March 6th, and Rose left with the Doctor the day after they first met.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #110
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Clara is all of roses would be dreams...I'm speaking in jest of course but that almost hurt to type lol.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #111
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Clara is all of roses would be dreams...I'm speaking in jest of course but that almost hurt to type lol.
lol, if that happened, it would tear the fandom apart. Rose is already pretty damn divisive.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #112
chaseter
Bland User

The TARDIS would have also translated the languages spoken but it didn't and Clara didnt ask...just sloppy writing.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #113
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

One of the teasers for this episode was this

http://www.combom.co.uk/2013/03/doctor-who-rings-of-akhaten-10-teasers.html

3: 5 March 2005 a sad day for some

The date of Clara's mothers death was the same day "Rose" was leaked online.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #114
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Switching gears to the strange history of Clara Oswald:

Clara's mother died in the 5th of March in 2005 (we saw the gravestone). That's the same day Rose met the Doctor. All those "missing" posters Jackie put up when Rose disappeared said she was last seen on March 6th, and Rose left with the Doctor the day after they first met.
Found some more on this online: In the Snowmen it is revealed that version of Clara was born on November 23rd 1866 and is 26 years old — that's same day the 1st episode of Doctor Who aired in 1963 and the same age as the classic series was when it was cancelled in 1989.

Modern Clara is 24 years old in 2013, meaning she was born in 1989, the same year the classic series was cancelled. The list of ages in Clara's travel book also omits the age 16, which would have been in 2005, when the show came back (and when her mother died as you noted), and 23, which would have been in 2012, when Clara first showed up in the series (and died both times), and when Modern Clara was first seen.

Does any of this mean anything? Who knows? (well, he doesn't yet...)

Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #115
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Clara is the personification of Doctor who canon, sh**s getting meta.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #116
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
I mean is emotion leaf really any better than Jesus Doctor descending to destroy the Master?
Oh, it absolutely is. Much much MUCH better than Jesus Doctor. The worst thing about Jesus Doctor, to me, was how self indulgent it was. It was all about how ****ing cool The Doctor is and how he's basically the messiah. The magic leaf wasn't about The Doctor at all, it was about people. It was hella corny, sure, but it wasn't full of itself like Jesus Doctor was.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #117
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Jesus Doctor was pretty much The Prophet Martha convincing the whole human race to pray to The Doctor Almighty. You'd think the show couldn't crawl any further up its own ass after that, but the following episode showed the Doctor ascending a falling ship on the wings of golden angels.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #118
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I'd argue magic leaf also feels like the show being very full of itself: if not in the messianic awesomeness of its lead then in what it believes is the profound depth of its maudlin sentimentality run amok. Both are absolutely awful at the end of the day.

And just two episodes ago somebody crying saved the day. We've just traded one silliness for another.

The Doctor

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 04-08-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #119
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

He died for your sins, or Wilfred's bumbling oafiness, but lets not split hairs.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #120
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

The only thing that saved this episode for me was Smith's acting. Damn, his monologue toward the space...eating...thing...was powerful. But much less because of the words and more because of the amazing delivery.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #121
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Absolutely, Smith nailed that speech so hard and gave it just such amazing energy it almost made the entire episode worth it. I wish they had stopped right there because just through the masterful delivery I would have bought that star thing being unable to cope with the sheer weight of the Doctor's memories.

The Doctor
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #122
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

This weeks episode looks fantastic though. Ice Warrior on a submarine is hopefully not a wasted concept. I really like the idea of one lone threat in a confined space.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #123
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I think the next one actually looks pretty neat. I was getting Horror of Fang Rock vibes for some reason.

The Doctor
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #124
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
I'd argue magic leaf also feels like the show being very full of itself: if not in the messianic awesomeness of its lead then in what it believes is the profound depth of its maudlin sentimentality run amok. Both are absolutely awful at the end of the day.

And just two episodes ago somebody crying saved the day. We've just traded one silliness for another.
I disagree completely. Maudlin sentimentality run amok is thousands of leagues better than hyping the messianic awesomeness of your lead character. They're not even comparable.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #125
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

At the end of the day they both produce bad stories so the result is the same.

The Doctor
Closed Thread