The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
batnkevlar
Side-Kick
 
batnkevlar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Keystone City, CA
Posts: 9,197
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Interracial relationships and attraction is something that is touched on very rarely in media. Sure, comics are totally different and have had a good handful of interracial relationships, it's interesting to see Carol Danvers be attracted to Rhodey.

__________________
Girls are like an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a puzzle wrapped in bacon: confusing yet delicious...
batnkevlar is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 25,210
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

I don't think Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, or Black Panther would do a MCP any favors. As great as the characters are, they don't really sell books anymore. If you have a headliner, it needs to be someone who people will show up for, then fill the rest of the book with people like Strange, Surfer, and Panther (as apposed to people like Type Face and the Winter Guard, who will draw about 3 people total).

It's hard to find people like that who aren't already headlining a book, but maybe Nova (Rider), Iron Fist, or Captain Britain. People who readers tend to like. Then fill the other stories with bigger to mediocre names with good stories. Have the plots important to the Marvel Universe. Have a price point that won't turn people away. $3 instead of $4 will do wonders for a book.

You know what I think I'd pitch if I were doing this? I'd have a Captain Britain feature bringing in aspects from his Moore days, Excalibur days, M-13 days, and recent Avenger days. Then I'd have side stories focusing on various New Warriors building toward the reunification of the surviving original New Warriors. Issue one might have Captain Britain in a story, then two stories featuring Justice and Firestar. The Next would continue the Captain Britain story and then aspects from the Justice and Firstar stories would roll into two new stories featuring Speedball and Namorita. The third issue would do the same but feature Night Thrasher (Donyell) and Rage. The fourth into Silhouette and Darkhawk (or Turbo or someone). Then come the fifth issue have only one feature that stars all of them together. By the end of the sixth or seventh issue have them stop the threat and decide to be a team again. All this time we have the Captain Britain main feature running, and the 3rd slott in the 5th and 6th issues (since there's only one NW plot now) would be filled for a 2 or 3 issue story featuring Iron Fist or a flashback tale of Ben Reilly.

Then just go with it so that the stories are staggering each other so if you're into Iron Fist plot from issues 5-7, you're also getting part of a Captain Britain plot against the Fury, then the start of the next Captain Britain plot where he helps Venom (Flash) with some problem he's having, as well as the end of the New Warriors plot and the start of whatever comes next. That way there's always something that keeps you coming back and maybe even buying back issues to see how one of the already running stories got to this point.

And I'd definately say no more than 3 stories per comic. Any more than that and there just isn't enough story to keep people these days.

__________________
Follow my writing career at:

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick
 
THANOSRULES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I don't think Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, or Black Panther would do a MCP any favors. As great as the characters are, they don't really sell books anymore. If you have a headliner, it needs to be someone who people will show up for, then fill the rest of the book with people like Strange, Surfer, and Panther (as apposed to people like Type Face and the Winter Guard, who will draw about 3 people total).

It's hard to find people like that who aren't already headlining a book, but maybe Nova (Rider), Iron Fist, or Captain Britain. People who readers tend to like. Then fill the other stories with bigger to mediocre names with good stories. Have the plots important to the Marvel Universe. Have a price point that won't turn people away. $3 instead of $4 will do wonders for a book.

You know what I think I'd pitch if I were doing this? I'd have a Captain Britain feature bringing in aspects from his Moore days, Excalibur days, M-13 days, and recent Avenger days. Then I'd have side stories focusing on various New Warriors building toward the reunification of the surviving original New Warriors. Issue one might have Captain Britain in a story, then two stories featuring Justice and Firestar. The Next would continue the Captain Britain story and then aspects from the Justice and Firstar stories would roll into two new stories featuring Speedball and Namorita. The third issue would do the same but feature Night Thrasher (Donyell) and Rage. The fourth into Silhouette and Darkhawk (or Turbo or someone). Then come the fifth issue have only one feature that stars all of them together. By the end of the sixth or seventh issue have them stop the threat and decide to be a team again. All this time we have the Captain Britain main feature running, and the 3rd slott in the 5th and 6th issues (since there's only one NW plot now) would be filled for a 2 or 3 issue story featuring Iron Fist or a flashback tale of Ben Reilly.

Then just go with it so that the stories are staggering each other so if you're into Iron Fist plot from issues 5-7, you're also getting part of a Captain Britain plot against the Fury, then the start of the next Captain Britain plot where he helps Venom (Flash) with some problem he's having, as well as the end of the New Warriors plot and the start of whatever comes next. That way there's always something that keeps you coming back and maybe even buying back issues to see how one of the already running stories got to this point.

And I'd definately say no more than 3 stories per comic. Any more than that and there just isn't enough story to keep people these days.
I think you have a point that maybe Strange, Panther, SS could not be the huge draw "in a vacuum" but i think you work some hook within Avengers , FF etc.. that creates the hook...in other words you gotta set it up.

Thats no different than Weapon X...which was a well "set up story" within X men.

At any rate a MCP should be just sold at a loss...or at a minimum marvel should accept that the sales just may well fluctuate based on what stories they choose to wrap up there..

MCP always has to have a hook (which can be generated elsewhere), and it may well never dominate sales, but it can be a great creative outlet...in all honesty, it should be a book marvel considers worth doing as a pallet for creative stories...I mean eliminate 1 of the "Adventures books" (or throwaway 'cap/ironman' type minis that are going at any given time) that are "good" for under 10k sales and do a presents series... maybe it sells 15k one week, maybe it could do 75k if you hype up an arc...it may go up and down, it's not comparable to a regular ongoing and should be treated as such.

I've insisted that Marvel produce more books at a loss within there comics and MCP could be the best example.

..and i love your ideas for the NW char.

__________________
RICHARD RIDER MUST RETURN!

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!

Last edited by THANOSRULES; 04-05-2013 at 09:18 PM.
THANOSRULES is offline  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #29
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I don't think Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, or Black Panther would do a MCP any favors. As great as the characters are, they don't really sell books anymore. If you have a headliner, it needs to be someone who people will show up for, then fill the rest of the book with people like Strange, Surfer, and Panther (as apposed to people like Type Face and the Winter Guard, who will draw about 3 people total).

It's hard to find people like that who aren't already headlining a book, but maybe Nova (Rider), Iron Fist, or Captain Britain. People who readers tend to like. Then fill the other stories with bigger to mediocre names with good stories. Have the plots important to the Marvel Universe. Have a price point that won't turn people away. $3 instead of $4 will do wonders for a book.

You know what I think I'd pitch if I were doing this? I'd have a Captain Britain feature bringing in aspects from his Moore days, Excalibur days, M-13 days, and recent Avenger days. Then I'd have side stories focusing on various New Warriors building toward the reunification of the surviving original New Warriors. Issue one might have Captain Britain in a story, then two stories featuring Justice and Firestar. The Next would continue the Captain Britain story and then aspects from the Justice and Firstar stories would roll into two new stories featuring Speedball and Namorita. The third issue would do the same but feature Night Thrasher (Donyell) and Rage. The fourth into Silhouette and Darkhawk (or Turbo or someone). Then come the fifth issue have only one feature that stars all of them together. By the end of the sixth or seventh issue have them stop the threat and decide to be a team again. All this time we have the Captain Britain main feature running, and the 3rd slott in the 5th and 6th issues (since there's only one NW plot now) would be filled for a 2 or 3 issue story featuring Iron Fist or a flashback tale of Ben Reilly.

Then just go with it so that the stories are staggering each other so if you're into Iron Fist plot from issues 5-7, you're also getting part of a Captain Britain plot against the Fury, then the start of the next Captain Britain plot where he helps Venom (Flash) with some problem he's having, as well as the end of the New Warriors plot and the start of whatever comes next. That way there's always something that keeps you coming back and maybe even buying back issues to see how one of the already running stories got to this point.

And I'd definately say no more than 3 stories per comic. Any more than that and there just isn't enough story to keep people these days.
They kind of do that in Britain.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung
 
Colossal Spoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: A bar on Oa
Posts: 62,343
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by batnkevlar View Post
Interracial relationships and attraction is something that is touched on very rarely in media. Sure, comics are totally different and have had a good handful of interracial relationships, it's interesting to see Carol Danvers be attracted to Rhodey.
I dig that potential relationship

__________________
Once you get over the need to prove everybody wrong and "correct" opinions you disagree with, the internet becomes a much more pleasant and less frustrating place.
Colossal Spoons is offline  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck
 
Shockdingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: With Deadpool & The unlimited
Posts: 3,544
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Ditto, Carol and Rhodey isn't something I ever thought of, but this could be interesting.

Shockdingo is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #32
The Englishman
Marching On Together
 
The Englishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leeds , England
Posts: 5,200
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
They kind of do that in Britain.
Do they?

__________________
"But James I need you." "So does England!"

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 24,060
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Last time Rhodey brought a white women home his parents were not pleased lol. I think Carol and Rhodey would make a good couple though. Both military people.

__________________
King Of Strong Style
chamber-music is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #34
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
Ditto, Carol and Rhodey isn't something I ever thought of, but this could be interesting.
I don't want the next female to be a love interest. It's not needed and just undermines her as a character.

And Englishman, they do Panini comics. It's like a collection of stories from Marvel under different titles. They're a year behind though.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #35
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,838
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Looks like they're ending Winter Soldier after #19 in June. Sucks because I like the story Latour has done so far and was looking forward to more. Have to figure they may try something else with WS due to CA2 coming out next year.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/wint...ends-june.html

Webfoot Hero is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #36
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!
 
javi1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 4,393
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Damn that sucks! Latour's been doing a good job continuing this book. Don't even notice Brubaker left.

__________________
Wolverine: "I got one. Domino or Psylocke?"

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #37
runawayboulder
#TheFappening
 
runawayboulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the edge
Posts: 16,229
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

The writing was on the wall ever since Brubaker left.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
This is a message board...no one killed your mother or had sex with your dog.....try to move on in life.
runawayboulder is online now  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #38
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

He should return for the film.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #39
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 25,210
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

My comic shop guy said something rather surprising to me on Wednesday. I asked if I could edit my buying list so I could add My Little Pony to it (since my daughters are loving that title and my shop doesn't get many of them). I went ahead and made a few more changes since my buying has shifted in the past few months, and when I scratched out Avengers, he just started laughing.

I was like, "What's so funny?"

Apparently, people at my shop are dropping Hickman's Avengers like flies. He said that he's had to drop his ordering for the book like mad since Hickman took over. "It just plain sucks" according to him. With all the hype going on around here I figured I was in the minority in my not caring for it, but apparently the people all around my area agree. I should have asked him about New Avengers. To me, that's the better title, but I'm also debating on dropping that one. I'm not sure yet.

I was even happy to hear one of the other shop owners say, "Hickman's no Bendis. Bendis can at least write more believable dialogue."

In my head, I saw the hype go up in an nuclear explosion cloud.

__________________
Follow my writing career at:

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #40
runawayboulder
#TheFappening
 
runawayboulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the edge
Posts: 16,229
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Where do you live.....Suckville, USA?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
This is a message board...no one killed your mother or had sex with your dog.....try to move on in life.
runawayboulder is online now  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.
 
StreetWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 740
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
My comic shop guy said something rather surprising to me on Wednesday. I asked if I could edit my buying list so I could add My Little Pony to it (since my daughters are loving that title and my shop doesn't get many of them). I went ahead and made a few more changes since my buying has shifted in the past few months, and when I scratched out Avengers, he just started laughing.

I was like, "What's so funny?"

Apparently, people at my shop are dropping Hickman's Avengers like flies. He said that he's had to drop his ordering for the book like mad since Hickman took over. "It just plain sucks" according to him. With all the hype going on around here I figured I was in the minority in my not caring for it, but apparently the people all around my area agree. I should have asked him about New Avengers. To me, that's the better title, but I'm also debating on dropping that one. I'm not sure yet.

I was even happy to hear one of the other shop owners say, "Hickman's no Bendis. Bendis can at least write more believable dialogue."

In my head, I saw the hype go up in an nuclear explosion cloud.
That is one of the most ass-backwards things I have ever heard in my life... Please tell me where your ship is located so I can be sure to never, ever visit that area .

__________________
"If you shoot, you're a killer. If you don't shoot, you have a death on your conscience. A death you could have prevented"
"What kind of a choice is that?"
"The one I make every time I pull the trigger"
StreetWarrior is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #42
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,904
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

I have also talked to people who, like me, read Hickman's Avengers #1 and didn't pick up another issue. It was just like "that's what everyone is hyping so much?" To me, it just seemed like a worse version of the Heroic Age relaunch. There was the whole "we need a million Avengers" angle which was done like two years before. The big difference being that Rogers and Stark (and Cage) recruited the characters and divided them into somewhat logical squads (at the beginning, at least).

Donnie Darko is offline  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,368
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

People having opinions that are different from mine sucks.

__________________
It's not Marvel and DC's place to create our stories. We create our stories. --Dwayne McDuffie

http://myth-smith.com/

Last edited by RockSP; 04-20-2013 at 07:15 PM.
RockSP is online now  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #44
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 67,761
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Well, that's how you know it's good. When the Majority of the comic buying public don't like it.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #45
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero
 
Donnie Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,904
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

I don't know... The popular opinion seems to be that people love Batman and Robin, and after reading the last two issues, I have to say that book is amazing.

Donnie Darko is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #46
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.
 
StreetWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 740
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Popularity does not, and never will, equal quality. Just look to the music industry and television for proof on that. In rare circumstances, the two can align but seldom should the opinion of the general populace be trusted...

Ex. Top 40 radio, Two and a Half Men & reality television, presidential elections (past and present).

The next response will be about the legitimacy of opinions. Opinions can definitely be wrong. However, who am I to tell someone what to enjoy? I recognize the importance of popular opinion but I will never understand it and, quite frankly, I never want to...

If someone tells me they like Bendis' Avengers more than Hickman's, I have to respect that. It doesn't mean I don't think they are completely and totally insane however.

__________________
"If you shoot, you're a killer. If you don't shoot, you have a death on your conscience. A death you could have prevented"
"What kind of a choice is that?"
"The one I make every time I pull the trigger"

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 04-21-2013 at 09:18 AM.
StreetWarrior is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #47
Thwip!
Side-Kick
 
Thwip!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Carlow, Ireland
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

It's a damn good book

__________________
My Deviantart
Thwip! is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #48
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Turn around
Posts: 230
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

What are your thoughts on Age of Ultron?

I didn't really like the first 2 issues, they were kinda slow, but they picked up and got better IMO

__________________
If I agree with you we'd both be wrong.
ChukNoris is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #49
Specter313
Ghost of all things X
 
Specter313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 6ft. under
Posts: 35,138
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

I for one am not understanding the hatred going around for Hickman's Avengers. I'm finding it quite interesting and, similar to his New Avengers (which I'm only skimming in the store), it rather obvious to me that he's really building up to some larger pay off down the road, and that may be what some people aren't liking, not getting a full payoff at the end of each arc. I'm just chalking it up to people being so used to how Bendis did things, that they just aren't used to Hickman's take on it. Probably why I'm enjoying it more than others, since I dropped all Bendis' Avengers books years ago.

__________________
Specter313 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #50
runawayboulder
#TheFappening
 
runawayboulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the edge
Posts: 16,229
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

I'm really enjoying it and I was turned off by his FF work and bailed on it 12 or so issues in. I'm starting to think that his New Avengers is the superior of the two books and along with Thor: God of Thunder, it competes monthly for the title of best comic Marvel produces.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
This is a message board...no one killed your mother or had sex with your dog.....try to move on in life.
runawayboulder is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.