The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #51
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Drax The Man on the Sax: a Thread for the Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Respectfully, that's a matter of opinion.

It could just be that he was a wrestler and not an actor and has only recently got into acting. Fact is that some people just have other careers before moving into acting, hell, Stallone was a lion-cage cleaner, Brad Pitt dressed in a chicken costume to get people into a restaurant, Bill Murray stood outside a grocery store selling chestnuts, Demi Moore worked for a debt collection agency, Christopher Lee was a hangman's assistant and so on. Did anyone say then that 'so and so shouldnt be in this movie because last week they were worknig in a supermarket?'

A persons previous employment has no bearing on talent or aptitude in another field. Or at least it shouldnt have. Yet people still fashion pre-conveived opinions regardless. Me? I like to keep an open mind.

I guess we'll see..........
I totally see what you are saying here BB, and agree with most of it, all actors/actresses must start somewere, but how many wrestlers have made good acting careers in their time? The Rock/Dwayne Johnson is the one exception were he has done pretty well, but again he has done a lot of poor films, and never really had to overly stretch himself by doing an overly dramatic role.

IMO, there is a reason not many wrestlers make good actors, and it is because the majority of them simply dont make good actors. Once again I would be the happiest man alive if he proved me totally wrong, but as you say, we will have to wait and see. Its just, as a fan of Drax as a character, I was personally expecting a bit more.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #52
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Default Re: Drax The Man on the Sax: a Thread for the Destroyer - Part 1

Q: Itís interesting to see Dave Bautista linked with the project, because heís not traditionally thought of as an actor.

JG: We havenít really come out with our cast, people have gotten hold of some things, but I will say one thing: Dave Bautista is one of the most naturally gifted actors I have ever seen in my life. The guy has access to his emotions in a way that I have seen very few people able to do, and if he did get the role of Drax Ė Iíll tell you, nobody else was ever offered that role, at all; anything you heard about that is ********, and if he did get the role, itís 100% because of his ability to access his emotions, more so than anything else. And it just so happens that the guy was created in the cast of Drax when he was born, he looks just like Drax.

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/guardians-...alaxy-rumours/

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #53
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

If the director thought he was good, then I'm good with the choice. I'm not the one in charge of the movie, obviously gunn saw something that we haven't seen of this guy yet.

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #54
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

it makes me feel a little better hearing Gunn praise Bautista hopefully he's right and we get a really amazing Drax. Also glad to hear that Drax most likely won't be the silent wall of muscle that most people here seem to want.

Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #55
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
– I’ll tell you, nobody else was ever offered that role, at all; anything you heard about that is ********,

Straight from Gunn's mouth.
No Momoa involved. Ever.

Can somebody *please* fire that goddamn fake-ass El Maybe now? LR's credibility is shot full of more holes than swiss cheese.

And I have no idea of the source, but CBM has an excellent 'Shop of Bautista as Drax, best one yet:

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #56
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I'm so happy to hear Mamoa never got an offer. I remember a while ago someone claiming that Mamoa was the one and only choice, wouldn't be surprised if that was el maybie or whatever

edit: that is an awesome manip.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #57
VulcanVader
Side-Kick

I don't care if Momoa was ever really up for the role.
But I know that, in my mind, he was the best choice possible.
Just watching him on the first season of GoT again.... he's just perfect. It's a shame.

VulcanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #58
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

No Momoa involved. Ever.

Can somebody *please* fire that goddamn fake-ass El Maybe now? LR's credibility is shot full of more holes than swiss cheese.

And I have no idea of the source, but CBM has an excellent 'Shop of Bautista as Drax, best one yet:

We know for a fact Momoa was in talks, he was just never offered the role, which is what Gunn is saying.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #59
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:

No Momoa involved. Ever.

He didn't say nobody else was involved, he said nobody else was offered the role. Also as much as El Mayimbe gets wrong, he still gets stuff right.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #60
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #61
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
He didn't say nobody else was involved, he said nobody else was offered the role. Also as much as El Mayimbe gets wrong, he still gets stuff right.
The problem with El Mayimbe is his blatant arrogance when it comes to breaking stories. If we would present this stuff for what it is (bits of information he's heard through the grapevine that may or may not be accurate and not big, exclusive news straight from inside Marvel Stuidos), everyone would be a lot more forgiving when it's ultimately proven wrong.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
IMO, there is a reason not many wrestlers make good actors, and it is because the majority of them simply dont make good actors.
The reason is because the majority of people don't make good actors. Whether someone is a wrestler (or a plumber, or a dentist, or an accountant) has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
No Momoa involved. Ever.

Yes please.

Quote:
Badass.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #63
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCap View Post
it makes me feel a little better hearing Gunn praise Bautista
He wouldn't be expected to do otherwise.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #64
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I know Gunn would be expected to come out and praise Bautista's acting, but the way he articulated it actually seemed really genuine, so it has given me a bit more confidence about him being Drax. As I said from the start, even though I was dissapointed with his casting, I hope he gives us an amazing Drax.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #65
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I know Gunn would be expected to come out and praise Bautista's acting, but the way he articulated it actually seemed really genuine, so it has given me a bit more confidence about him being Drax. As I said from the start, even though I was dissapointed with his casting, I hope he gives us an amazing Drax.
Yeah I felt the same way hearing him say all that put my mind at ease a bit.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #66
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Gunn is expected to talk up his casting choice but he was also not under any pressure to give him the praise he did.

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #67
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
Gunn is expected to talk up his casting choice but he was also not under any pressure to give him the praise he did.
Agreed, it seems clear that what Gunn did is more than the usual "talking up" directors do to the cast.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #68
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Now let's just be honest here. It's possible filmmakers could be lying too. Not that I'm defending El Mayimbe.

That being said he reported it was Momoa more than once and kept deleting his tweets or changing his story.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #69
Chris B
Side-Kick

One thing Bautista has going for him is that he has the look down pat for the role. Which I don't Momoa really had, IMO.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #70
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

can someone point out those features? ^ I really don't see the look

Old 04-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #71
TX85
Jolly

Why did or are some of you assuming Bautista being cast means Drax will mostly be a mute or have few lines?,He has years of experience doing promos as a badass wrestling character Plus some film&TV acting!

IF his acting performance turns out bad for many then that's something else But there's no reason to think he'll have limited lines just cause he was a pro wrestler,It happened with Tyler Mane But Bautista was was a WAY more known wrestler and tons of more mic work!!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #72
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Agreed, it seems clear that what Gunn did is more than the usual "talking up" directors do to the cast.
Maybe he felt he had to do more than "the usual" since there's been lots of online fan skepticism regarding that role going to a wrestler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Now let's just be honest here. It's possible filmmakers could be lying too. Not that I'm defending El Mayimbe.

That being said he reported it was Momoa more than once and kept deleting his tweets or changing his story.
Heh, exactly @ the boldface quote...that isn't some rare occurrence. End of the day, it doesn't mean squat. Batista has the part.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #73
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Maybe he felt he had to do more than "the usual" since there's been lots of online fan skepticism regarding that role going to a wrestler.
Could be the case but I'm gonna remain positive until I see actual proof of Bautista doing "bad" or "mediocre".

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #74
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
Why did or are some of you assuming Bautista being cast means Drax will mostly be a mute or have few lines?,He has years of experience doing promos as a badass wrestling character Plus some film&TV acting!

IF his acting performance turns out bad for many then that's something else But there's no reason to think he'll have limited lines just cause he was a pro wrestler,It happened with Tyler Mane But Bautista was was a WAY more known wrestler and tons of more mic work!!
And most of his mic work is mediocre at best in comparison in wrestling. I mean, his most famous promo is him talking about basketballs not holding grudges.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #75
TX85
Jolly

That's not the point though,His acting skills and assuming Drax will have limited lines cause of it are two different things!!