The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default Future Street Level Properties From Marvel

When it comes to the next round of TV shows if the Defenders proves to be a hit, which should be made and who should play whom

I'm just going to play itself and say that future shows will probably be Moon Knight, Punisher and Shiang Chi.

For the latter, I propose Jason Yee as Shiang Chi with Lyoto Machida as a chose second. For whatever reason, I want to see Lyoto Machida take up acting since it's already worked for Gina Carano and GSP.

And for as much as I'd prefer Punisher to be a film directed by Park Chan-Wook, it'll sadly probably be a TV series but if it were a film, Park is the go to guy.

Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Future Street Level Properties From Marvel

I'd love to see Moon Knight, Punisher, Shang-Chi, Blade, and Ghost Rider join the "Marvel Knights/Netflix" side of the MCU. I'd even like to see a "Daughters of the Dragon" series....maybe even more so than series about the guys I just listed.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'm hoping they embrace the mysticism of Iron Fist.

So far earth-based heroes have been strictly science based.

With Blade, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Moon Knight and Doctor Strange you have to introduce the supernatural... on Earth.

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine X-Men Days of Future Past Guardians of the Galaxy
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'd love to see Moon Knight, Punisher, Shang-Chi, Blade, and Ghost Rider join the "Marvel Knights/Netflix" side of the MCU. I'd even like to see a "Daughters of the Dragon" series....maybe even more so than series about the guys I just listed.
I'd buy Netflix subscriptions for everyone I know if they gave me a Marvel Knights series

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Hmmm... I feel differently...

I would do:
Heroes for Hire - To continue the stories of Cage, Jessica and Danny, with all the associated guest stars, including the Daughters of the Dragon, Shang Chi, Punisher, etc.
She Hulk - Largely a legal drama, a spiritual successor to the Daredevil series, there should be enough fodder in the MCU for a litany of court cases, She-Hulk at the forefront could be very cool, especially with a . Plus, with a "normal" professional woman as a superhero, you can have a very cool fun show without any supervillains actually showing up (but they will). Extra points for a Ruffalo case and 'People vs Hulk' as the season finale. A talented actress at 5'11, with genre experience and ready to tone out at the gym, I'd put Adrienne Palicki as She-Hulk.
Black Widow - The fill out and expand on the character if Scarlet's interested and She-Hulk isn't feasible.
Daredevil Season 2 - DD has a LOT of great solo material, that doesn't work as a guest star at all. I wouldn't want to skip it.

I'm on the fence on:
Moon Knight - While not my favorite, this is one complicated character and you can't really get into that as a guest star. Plus, he has lots of solo material to draw from. I wouldn't be upset if they went this way. For someone this out to lunch, you need someone like Burn Notice's Jeffrey Donovan to rock those multiple personalities and intense physicality.
Tigra - If She-Hulk and Black Widow are no-gos, go with Joss' fave and do the whole supernatural romance/drama/thriller with Inhumans and Cat People and etc. Could be nice. Someone nice and innocent seeming who can handle some physicality and some prosthetics is more than necessary.

I would not do:
Punisher - Needs too many cameos to make him non-generic.
Shang Chi - Fu Manchu is more off limits than Mandarin, and it's too similar to Iron Fist. Shang Chi not being a part of Iron Fist's story would be a failure, imho.
Ghost Rider - Yeah, the flaming head not gonna happen cost wise and a lot of time not flaming sounds pretty weak to me. Works as a guest star though.
Blade - It's been done before and I think the Vampire part of Marvel is one of the least interesting, personally. Perhaps as part of a Midnight Sons series with Blade, Ghost Rider, and a couple others (Brother Voodoo? Hellcat?)

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Loki882
Side-Kick

Misty Night/Colleen Wing buddy-cop type show.
Heroes for Hire (Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones).
The Punisher.
Elektra spinoff show.
Blade.
The Runaways.
She-Hulk.
Daredevil season 2.

I feel like Ghost Rider would be hard to do properly on a TV show budget.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Punisher - Needs too many cameos to make him non-generic.
Whats wrong with Generic?

Kick ass grissled war-vet kicks ass of criminals in a oneman crusade against crime. Would work great as a TV show. include Microchip and maybe a downtrodden female character that funtions as a father/daughter relationship.

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine X-Men Days of Future Past Guardians of the Galaxy
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

I have no doubt that each "event" is a self contained story arc. We're getting a quasi-Heroes for Hire with the Luke Cage, JJ and Iron Fist shows. What the next series will be who knows. But a Marvel Knights event would be awesome.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post

Kick ass grissled war-vet kicks ass of criminals in a oneman crusade against crime. Would work great as a TV show. include Microchip and maybe a downtrodden female character that funtions as a father/daughter relationship.
People use words like generic or archetype to express negative connotation. Nothing wrong with the concept of a generic character if the execution is well done. Hell, most superheroes are pretty generic at their core.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Blade and Ghost Rider may be a better fit with Dr. Strange. Add Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda to the mix and you've got a nice lineup for a Midnight Sons film.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Blade and Ghost Rider may be a better fit with Dr. Strange. Add Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda to the mix and you've got a nice lineup for a Midnight Sons film.
Would love to see a Midnight Sons film/series.
Maybe the Doc Strange movie will have some nice cameos from some or all of the above.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post

Nothing's wrong with it in isolation, but when generic can be done well as a guest star and there are a dozen non-generic properties that can also be adapted well, but not as a guest star, taking a whole show out to do generic well seems like a waste to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
People use words like generic or archetype to express negative connotation. Nothing wrong with the concept of a generic character if the execution is well done. Hell, most superheroes are pretty generic at their core.
Every character is generic at their core. We are all more alike than different. But a character who is generic even on the surface? That's worth mentioning.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Every character is generic at their core. We are all more alike than different. But a character who is generic even on the surface? That's worth mentioning.
Of course not. But The Punisher isn't generic in that sense. He's actually very unique in terms of Marvel's "heroes" because of the way he operates.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nothing's wrong with it in isolation, but when generic can be done well as a guest star and there are a dozen non-generic properties that can also be adapted well, but not as a guest star, taking a whole show out to do generic well seems like a waste to me.
I'd love to see the Punisher reintroduced in the Netflix shows, but I think he works better as a bad ass guest star than a lead. I'd love Goddard, Rosenberg and the other show runners to keep us guessing whether Frank is going to support our heroes or commence firing upon them.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Of course not. But The Punisher isn't generic in that sense. He's actually very unique in terms of Marvel's "heroes" because of the way he operates.
When people say a TV show or TV character is generic, isn't it in terms of other TV shows on the market, and not other characters in that show's universe that we rarely/never see on the allegedly generic TV show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I'd love to see the Punisher reintroduced in the Netflix shows, but I think he works better as a bad ass guest star than a lead. I'd love Goddard, Rosenberg and the other show runners to keep us guessing whether Frank is going to support our heroes or commence firing upon them.
Totally agreed. Punisher brings such an incredible tension to superheroics that it would be a real waste to not include such a beloved (affordable!) character in a Daredevil or Iron Fist series to do just that. Take some time, explore Castle through the hero's eyes, maybe he's not really as psychotic as he seems... maybe.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
When people say a TV show or TV character is generic, isn't it in terms of other TV shows on the market, and not other characters in that show's universe that we rarely/never see on the allegedly generic TV show?
I have no idea what a person's intention is unless they state it. The comment I was responding was simply 'The Punisher is a generic character' which I don't believe him to be.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
Dr. Evil
Gamora

I don't care really which heroes are next as long as the stories are good and Jeph Loeb has no direct involvement.

I will be shocked though if Misty Knight does not show up as a supporting character since it's highly unlikely that we'll ever see Spectrum in MCU. I would also hope to see Shang Chi as a supporting character as well. I would not cast Jen Walters as She Hulk, at least not until she gets her own series. I would debut her as the attorney opposite Matt Murdoch. I would also want an actress who has some family resemblance to Mark Ruffalo (I like Adrienne Palicki, but I don't know if she has any resemblance to Ruffalo) since she is Bruce's cousin.

As for a lot of these characters, I could see them appearing on the Netflix shows, but not necessarily as their heroic altar egos, at least not yet. You can debut Jennifer Walters, Misty Knight, Marc Spector, Frank Castle, Colleen Wing and others. This way when you spin them off you can show the altar egos of the characters you have introduced.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Co-signed on Loeb. Throw Millar in there too please just in case he gets delusions of grandeur.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #19
VictusMortuus
Side-Kick

I'd love to at least see a cameo from The Punisher, maybe in one of the shows he could pop up at the end and simply shoot the villain in the head, with the hero/es of the show having a reaction similar to Captain Americas reaction in Civil War.

VictusMortuus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
Shoppy
Side-Kick

I think second wave of TV series will be Heroes For Hire (featuring Cage, Rand, Jones and others) and either Daredevil season 2 or Elektra (featuring Daredevil)...

...and then two others before a second miniseries.

EDIT: If we see Ghost Rider so soon after the Nicholas Cage films, I think it should be Danny Ketch, and then introduce his predecessor Johnny Blaze later on.

Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
Ant-manic
Banned User

i think Castle should first appear in a Daredevil movie and branch out from there. the media should depict him as a serial killer. and parts of the public might think of him as the city's "trash collector."

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #22
fixxxer
Side-Kick

As for Ghost Rider, Blade et al, I don't really consider them "street level" heroes. Their powers wouldn't translate well to TV due to budget constraints, and I don't think solo movies are on the cards for either anytime soon. The simplest way to do this would be to make the Dr. Strange sequel a supernatural team-up of sorts. Dr. Strange: Midnight's Sons.

Now, on to the actual street level properties, whose home for the foreseeable future would, in all probability, be Netflix. After the first wave (Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, The Defenders) I would then continue on with a second season for Daredevil, but integrate the other three into a Heroes For Hire show, opening up two slots. Punisher and Moon Knight, IMO.

I don't think Punisher would work quite as well as merely a supporting character on the other shows. The point of Punisher is that we look at things from the point of view of a disillusioned, merciless, anti-hero with a "greater good" kind of ethos. The new era of cable dramas has pretty much been typified by anti-heroes, and a Punisher show would really work well in that framework. Castle really comes from a long line of Tony Sopranos, Walter Whites, Dexter Morgans, etc. As a supporting character, he basically becomes just another antagonist and/or just another marginally sympathetic villain. The whole "hey, he's just another vigilante" thing has been done to death in the movies, but as a show, it's a whole different ballgame. There's time to let conflicts really simmer, to plumb greater psychological depths and of course sprinkle in a healthy dose of ultra-violence.

A Moon Knight show would really be interesting from the perspective of exploring a dangerous, (possibly) schizophrenic vigilante. I mean, the guy has multiple identities, and thinks he received powers from an Egyptian moon god. Then again, maybe he did receive powers from said Egyptian moon god. Some liberties from the source, of course, but I think that kind of re-imagining of Moon Knight would be incredibly compelling.

Last edited by fixxxer; 02-05-2014 at 03:27 AM.
fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #23
Dasher10
Side-Kick

I'd introduce Misty Knight as a supporting character in Luke Cage and Shiang Chi as a supporting character in Iron Fist. I didn't realize how poor the latter's rogues gallery was until this thread and yeah, Fu Manchu could never fly in the 21st Century and his only other real villain is Shockwave who's now more of an Iron Man villain.

I'd also put Coleen Wing in Iron Fist, Elektra in Daredevil and She-Hulk would be introduced on Daredevil but just as Jen Walters as she should gain her powers in a Hulk sequel.

With year 2, I'd do

Daredevil Season 2
Heroes For Hire/Defenders (Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Misty Knight and Coleen Wing)
Hawkeye
Moon Knight

Part of me feels that Punisher would work better as a film but that's just because I'd like to see Park Chan-Wook direct it. If he's not available as a director, I'd prefer to see it as a TV series.

And as for Blade and Ghost Rider, I'd have to say no to both because the budgets may be way too high. Blade also has a script that's been greenlit. Doctor Strange should introduce the supernatural heroes in the way that Guardians of the Galaxy is fleshing out the cosmic properties to lay the groundwork for Ms. Marvel and Inhumans and Iron Man and Hulk introduced The Avengers universe.

And Ghost Rider absolutely needs to wait until Phase 4 because the Nicholas Cage movies were so terrible that an immediate reboot isn't needed.

Moon Knight honestly works better on TV since the idea of certain things not being real would lead to awesome water cooler discussions as people start to ask each other what parts of what episodes actually happened and what was a hallucination. That and his multiple personalities need way more time to flesh out than a two hour film can handle. Moon Knight needs to be that show with the season finale that really hits people when they realize that an important supporting character was never actually real or that Moon Knight may or may not be blessed by Khonshu.

Last edited by Dasher10; 02-05-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #24
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

From what I can tell, The Defenders are the MCU name for Heroes for Hire. There won't be a Defenders and a Heroes for Hire. The team with Jones, Rand, and Cage is going to be called The Defenders.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #25
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

I think making a "season 2" of any of these Netflix shows is an absolute waste of time. If the character's first season is that popular they should get upgraded to a movie, solo or supporting role. These seasons should be what the One-Shots are, a litmus test for audience/character interest but on a more daring/larger scale