The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #26
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,836
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

New tv spot out showing the extremis soldiers.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Last edited by Marvolo; 04-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Marvolo is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
darkslayer101
Side-Kick
 
darkslayer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,649
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

i just watched the alternate ending to IM2, which i believe was the same in the storybook..
so i guess the ending of IM3 is not know yet...

darkslayer101 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

PowerCosmic wrote:



Extremis Soldiers from new TV-spot!





Quote:
It looks like Rhodey shot the Extremis soldiers, if those are actually supposed to be bullet holes in their chest. They're just shrugging the bullets off like nothing.

And is that soldier Asian? He looks like it to me in that quick shot, I could be wrong. Maybe Mandarin gets some soldiers from China.
The guy in the latest video looks like Mitchell Yee, who is credited on IMDB as "Mandarin Soldier." i.e., an Extremis Soldier.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,770
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

creepy zombie soldiers = grounded realism

ten magical rings = too silly for a comic book movie

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 18,107
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
No matter the critical reception of this movie, it will not be reviewed by Roger Ebert. RIP.

Well, at least he got to see all of phase 1.

kedrell is online now  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #31
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 29,565
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
The ending the movie went with is WAY better than this, in my opinion.

This kind of plays out as the stereotypical "damsel in distress" ending, which wouldn't have worked for this movie or for a character like Pepper, in my opinion. Also, the dialogue was pretty terrible here.

And finally, not gonna lie: The ending they went with worked a lot better plot-wise as well. The focus needed to be on Iron Man and War Machine working as a team, which was Iron Man 2's major selling point. It was just plain cool to watch the two of them doing their thing together, especially against Whiplash in his armor.
In both endings Pepper is a damsel in distress. In both versions Iron Man and War Machine work together. Except in this ending they avoid just doing a weak version of Iron Monger again.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #32
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 18,107
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

But this way we don't get an end fight at all. And Pepper is barely a D-I-D in the theatrical cut. I can handle a very short saving her from an explosion scenario much easier than what we get in the alternate cut. For heaven's sake, one of the things I loved most about the Iron Man films is that they were basically anti-Raimi's Spider-man movies. D-I-D's happened all the time in that series.

kedrell is online now  
Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
Leenie
Make Up!
 
Leenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
In both endings Pepper is a damsel in distress. In both versions Iron Man and War Machine work together. Except in this ending they avoid just doing a weak version of Iron Monger again.
I disagree. Sure, Tony does end up saving Pepper both times. In this "alternate" ending though, it's definitely more of the bad guy capturing the damsel, having a Snidely Whiplash (lol) moment. "Haha Iron Man, I have your girlfriend!"

In the version we got in the movie, it's just Pepper being caught in the middle of what's going on, rather than the villain actively capturing her. It's a completely different thing.

Also, the movie's ending definitely had more focus on Tony and War Machine being partners. As brief as the scene was with "Whiplash Monger," it's still much cooler than this alternate ending. I liked that the duo's final blow to the villain was a callback to what happened when Tony and Rhodey were fighting each other. The dialogue was better too.

Oh, and I personally prefer that the "Ex-Wife" was a dud. You lose that joke in the alternate version.

__________________
Top 10 Comic Book Films: (1) Spider-Man 2, (2) Spider-Man,
(3) The Avengers, (4) Iron Man,
(5) The Dark Knight,
(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
,
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Leenie is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #34
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime
 
GRangerPrimeNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 783
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
creepy zombie soldiers = grounded realism

ten magical rings = too silly for a comic book movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
creepy zombie soldiers with glowing red eyes = grounded realism

ten extraterrestrial magical rings = too silly for a comic book movie
Fixed for ya

GRangerPrimeNYC is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 29,565
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
But this way we don't get an end fight at all. And Pepper is barely a D-I-D in the theatrical cut. I can handle a very short saving her from an explosion scenario much easier than what we get in the alternate cut. For heaven's sake, one of the things I loved most about the Iron Man films is that they were basically anti-Raimi's Spider-man movies. D-I-D's happened all the time in that series.
Pepper was a Damsel in Distress in both Iron Man films so far. Instead of being caught in the explosions Whiplash setup, he was there in person. I really didn't need an end fight, because the best bit was the Kill box scene. After that, there is no real fight. Whiplash just stands there waiting to die. He doesn't even try to avoid the blast. It just feels tacked on, like we needed to have them confront him, but they didn't know how.

And I never liked the saving Pepper thing, mainly because it reminds me of the Happy Tree Friends episode about a superhero flying around with a human being at break neck speeds, and what should result from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
I disagree. Sure, Tony does end up saving Pepper both times. In this "alternate" ending though, it's definitely more of the bad guy capturing the damsel, having a Snidely Whiplash (lol) moment. "Haha Iron Man, I have your girlfriend!"

In the version we got in the movie, it's just Pepper being caught in the middle of what's going on, rather than the villain actively capturing her. It's a completely different thing.
It is a question of semantics. In both scenrios Pepper is in trouble and only Tony can save her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Also, the movie's ending definitely had more focus on Tony and War Machine being partners. As brief as the scene was with "Whiplash Monger," it's still much cooler than this alternate ending. I liked that the duo's final blow to the villain was a callback to what happened when Tony and Rhodey were fighting each other. The dialogue was better too.
Which I find to be horrible writing. It is on the nose. Worse, it requires Whiplash to act like a fool. He has to stand there and not react while they have a conversation and then attack.

Also, I actually like the scenario where Tony kind of puts his and Pepper's life in Rhody's hands. That shows more trust and teamwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Oh, and I personally prefer that the "Ex-Wife" was a dud. You lose that joke in the alternate version.
I like the line, but I'd gladly lose it for a satisfying conclusion.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-04-2013 at 10:27 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,163
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

I want the Extremis Soldiers to be a threat, but like I said earlier I don't want them to be "Thor" tier. What I mean by that is I dont want them to be clearly overpowering Iron Man and crushing his suit.

Going toe to toe with him is fine, so I'd like for them to be around Loki level or a little lower.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #37
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,887
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I want the Extremis Soldiers to be a threat, but like I said earlier I don't want them to be "Thor" tier. What I mean by that is I dont want them to be clearly overpowering Iron Man and crushing his suit.

Going toe to toe with him is fine, so I'd like for them to be around Loki level or a little lower.
I don't think that matters. Thor's going to get a power upgraded in Thor TDW. Plus Thor wasn't fighting to kill in the avergers. He was trying to put him down but underestimated Ironman's abilities.

I'm not down with limiting one fans superheros villian to satisfy another fan. It's like I don't want them to limit Kurse to make Hulk fighting thor in the avengers look better.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #38
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.
 
TheIrishAvenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 6,877
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

International TV Spot from a few days ago is now online in HQ!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR
7.11.14



TheIrishAvenger is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #39
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 29,565
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I want the Extremis Soldiers to be a threat, but like I said earlier I don't want them to be "Thor" tier. What I mean by that is I dont want them to be clearly overpowering Iron Man and crushing his suit.

Going toe to toe with him is fine, so I'd like for them to be around Loki level or a little lower.
Perhaps they will just have to bulk up Thor's power as well.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #40
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 6,092
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I don't think that matters. Thor's going to get a power upgraded in Thor TDW. Plus Thor wasn't fighting to kill in the avergers. He was trying to put him down but underestimated Ironman's abilities.

I'm not down with limiting one fans superheros villian to satisfy another fan. It's like I don't want them to limit Kurse to make Hulk fighting thor in the avengers look better.
exactly. In terms of brawling, and punch to punch, I would hope that thor won't stand a chance, and that it will be assumed, that in just a slugfest, Kurse could easily take on hulk as well

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 29,565
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
exactly. In terms of brawling, and punch to punch, I would hope that thor won't stand a chance, and that it will be assumed, that in just a slugfest, Kurse could easily take on hulk as well
Unless we get World War Hulk power upgrade for the Hulk. Then not even the hole MCU combined could take on the Hulk.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #42
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 18,107
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Pepper was a Damsel in Distress in both Iron Man films so far. Instead of being caught in the explosions Whiplash setup, he was there in person. I really didn't need an end fight, because the best bit was the Kill box scene. After that, there is no real fight. Whiplash just stands there waiting to die. He doesn't even try to avoid the blast. It just feels tacked on, like we needed to have them confront him, but they didn't know how.
The thing is, Pepper being in danger to me =/= the type of damsel in distress that I was talking about. In both films her being in danger and need of rescuing is incidental. More than that, it comes about as a matter of her own actions being pro-actively taken in regards to the whole conflict of the story. She's helping out and that as well and simply being in Tony's orbit puts her in danger. That's a helluva big difference from just being bait used by the villain to attract the hero which is what we got many, many times in all the Raimi Spider-man movies.

Quote:
And I never liked the saving Pepper thing, mainly because it reminds me of the Happy Tree Friends episode about a superhero flying around with a human being at break neck speeds, and what should result from that.
I've no clue what that is so no comment on that. However, her surviving that is just a small thing and falls into the same category as Tony surviving the fall in the Mark 1 armor after his escape in the first film. I can overlook small stuff like that as long as they don't do it too much. These films are fantasy after all and sometimes the emotion you get with a scene trumps whether it actually would work in real life. Both of those scenes from the 2 films meet that criteria, IMO.

kedrell is online now  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #43
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
creepy zombie soldiers = grounded realism

ten magical rings = too silly for a comic book movie

It's not a question of being "silly." It's simply science fiction vs. fantasy. The Extremis Soldiers are *not* "creepy zombie soldiers" --- they're guys whose DNA is augmented and altered by nanotech implants to give them superhuman powers. That's a helluva lot different in tone and WSOD (Willing Suspension of Disbelief) than finding the corpse of an alien dragon in a crashed spaceship and scoring a handful of nifty rings that shoot fireballs and lightning bolts at people.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #44
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It's not a question of being "silly." It's simply science fiction vs. fantasy. The Extremis Soldiers are *not* "creepy zombie soldiers" --- they're guys whose DNA is augmented and altered by nanotech implants to give them superhuman powers. That's a helluva lot different in tone and WSOD (Willing Suspension of Disbelief) than finding the corpse of an alien dragon in a crashed spaceship and scoring a handful of nifty rings that shoot fireballs and lightning bolts at people.
It wasn't a space dragon and a handful of nifty rings that shoot fire bolts. It was reptilian biological anomaly unearthed in Siberia whose gauntlet manipulated specific chemical bonds found on Earth giving it the ability to control natural elements.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I just want to see more fantastic elements worked into modern superhero stories. I don't care how they get there.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #45
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain
 
DaddlerTheDalek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany, NRW
Posts: 899
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
PowerCosmic wrote:



Extremis Soldiers from new TV-spot!







The guy in the latest video looks like Mitchell Yee, who is credited on IMDB as "Mandarin Soldier." i.e., an Extremis Soldier.
The Extremis Soldiers looks Sick! I like that Red glowing!

DaddlerTheDalek is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #46
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
It wasn't a space dragon and a handful of nifty rings that shoot fire bolts. It was reptilian biological anomaly unearthed in Siberia whose gauntlet manipulated specific chemical bonds found on Earth giving it the ability to control natural elements.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I just want to see more fantastic elements worked into modern superhero stories. I don't care how they get there.
I do, too --- in the right place. Yes, Iron Man will fight fantastic (in the "fantasy" sense of the word, not just the "AWESOME!!!" sense of the word) villains, especially in Avengers, but his solo franchise (movie AND comic) has been more grounded, nuts-n-bolts sci-fi rather than the more over-the-top stuff. Superpowers based more on tech and sci-fi fits IM stories far better than aliens, deities, and magic-users.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #47
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Has anyone seen this? It seems like a huge stretch. You can't copyright a physical pose.
Quote:
Just one month before Disney plans to launch “Iron Man 3,” its biggest motion picture since “The Avengers,” the studio is accused of using someone else’s copyrighted image for one of the “Iron Man 3” movie posters, featuring Robert Downey Jr.

In a cease and desist letter sent today to Disney and Marvel Entertainment, Horizon Comics claims that one of the movie’s promotional posters copied an image right out of a page from their 2001 comic book series “Radix”.

I mean, it's not even the same pose.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #48
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

isn't Iron Man's iconic landing pose one hand and one knee down the other arm out and head up? If anything I'd say that Radix took from Iron Man, espcially if he lands like that in the comics or any older animation lol. People always looking for some money out there.

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #49
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,867
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

I guess being on one hand and one knee is copy-written?

ctsketch is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #50
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

I mean, that's more of a Spider-Man pose than anything else...

It's not often that I'll willingly side with the big corporation over the independent artist, but this is one of those cases.

Meanwhile, in other news...

spideymouse is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.