The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #76
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 8

I can't stand all the "DC/WB are so far 'behind', they're playing 'catch up'" comments.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #77
darthhalen
Side-Kick

Well, compared to Marvel they are incredibly behind. Not WB mind you, but DC. It's true, WB does not need superheroes but it sure seems like a waste.
Showtime-Sorry, as I said I don't mean to be snarky and if I misread your post it is my bad. I have just become frustrated with this project and all the insiders who have info that is conflicting. All these trusted sources(at least at some point)who have info that contradicts each other is beyond frustrating.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #78
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I can't stand all the "DC/WB are so far 'behind', they're playing 'catch up'" comments.
That ****s me more than anything else. Their last two superhero films have grossed a billion dollars each - yeah they're languishing behind alright.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #79
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthhalen View Post
Well, compared to Marvel they are incredibly behind. Not WB mind you, but DC. It's true, WB does not need superheroes but it sure seems like a waste.
Behind in what? Quantity? That's all it seems to be about.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #80
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
They are doing pretty well with the established properties (Superman and Batman).

Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #81
shauner111
Side-Kick

I agree with jmc on this, is it about quantity? Because who cares about how many DC films are put out? The problem lies within which characters theyre choosing to greenlight to the big screen. Jonah Hex? Over Wonder Woman or Flash? This doesn't make any sense to me.

But WB and DC don't need a Justice League as bad as Marvel Studios needed Avengers. They don't need Green Lantern to be a success, same with Flash, Aquaman, etc.

Another thing is, a Batman reboot film is not needed for a long time, it's just wanted by certain fans. DC doesn't need it right now and neither does WB. It will happen so why rush it?

Right now i'm excited for a quality Superman reboot to be made, which we're getting in 2 months, and a quality Wonder Woman film that tells her origin in a smart and character driven way.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #82
erehwon0
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Behind in what? Quantity? That's all it seems to be about.
Of course it is. We've had several incarnations of Batman and Superman in TV and film. But no the Justice League (not counting that TV movie thing!)

There might realistically be a point in the future where there will be an oversaturation of the superhero genre if we are not already in it! By then making a superhero movie will be nothing special. No one will care anymore. It will be harder for a movie like that to make a big impact. Unless it was truly epic! We're talking Nolan/Del Toro/Spielberg/Scott epic.

So yeah. The clock is ticking.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #83
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I agree with jmc on this, is it about quantity? Because who cares about how many DC films are put out? The problem lies within which characters theyre choosing to greenlight to the big screen. Jonah Hex? Over Wonder Woman or Flash? This doesn't make any sense to me.

But WB and DC don't need a Justice League as bad as Marvel Studios needed Avengers. They don't need Green Lantern to be a success, same with Flash, Aquaman, etc.

Another thing is, a Batman reboot film is not needed for a long time, it's just wanted by certain fans. DC doesn't need it right now and neither does WB. It will happen so why rush it?

Right now i'm excited for a quality Superman reboot to be made, which we're getting in 2 months, and a quality Wonder Woman film that tells her origin in a smart and character driven way.
Quality vs. quantity, that's kind of relative. If you are a studio, It think although you want to make good quality films, you ultimate goal is to make money producing films. The quality is a factor primarily to stay competitive and get more people to come see the films. If you are an outfit like DC, you should be always interested in getting your properties out there making money for the division. Sure, quality is important, but if you can still make money selling a film on lesser film then that might be okay to you. With that being said, I don't expect to see them making a film like Justice league in this day and age on a low budget nor would I expect to see them make it for any lesser quality than Marvel's Avenger's film franchise.

Last edited by dnno1; 04-05-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #84
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehwon0 View Post
Of course it is. We've had several incarnations of Batman and Superman in TV and film. But no the Justice League (not counting that TV movie thing!)

There might realistically be a point in the future where there will be an oversaturation of the superhero genre if we are not already in it! By then making a superhero movie will be nothing special. No one will care anymore. It will be harder for a movie like that to make a big impact. Unless it was truly epic! We're talking Nolan/Del Toro/Spielberg/Scott epic.

It's other way around man. There's so much now, that they get lost. It's scattered.

DC should take their time. In the 2020's when Marvel has dried out. The Spider-Man movies are drying out. DC will be standing alone (maybe) delivering solo films for Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, a new Batman reboot with a new approach after several years of nothing. Justice League too.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #85
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehwon0 View Post

What ****ing clock? The superhero popularity clock? I agree the superhero fad will eventually fade, but WB are in a better position than others due to their stable of heroes at their disposal.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #86
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
It's other way around man. There's so much now, that they get lost. It's scattered.

DC should take their time. In the 2020's when Marvel has dried out. The Spider-Man movies are drying out. DC will be standing alone (maybe) delivering solo films for Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, a new Batman reboot with a new approach after several years of nothing. Justice League too.
I think the argument is that by then, superhero movies might not be as exciting, popular, etc.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #87
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:

The genre may dry out by then. What you are really asking them to do is not compete, when they certainly can.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #88
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the argument is that by then, superhero movies might not be as exciting, popular, etc.
That's where DC come in with the advantage. Justice League will be exciting no matter where the genre is. If they can do fresh things with Batman that don't repeat Nolans style and a Wonder Woman movie that's strong, then they're winning the battle in the 2020's.

Wonder Woman? These days there aren't any expansive female lead films in the superhero genre. Especially one taken seriously. It will be fresh even when superhero movies aren't fresh anymore. That's the point.

DC playing the waiting game in order to punch out quality and creative movies will be the reason they win the battle. The tortoise and the hare. Quality over quantity. Longevity over a fast-food fix. Marvel rushes multiple films out a year and theyre going to be the first to dry out.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #89
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
The genre may dry out by then. What you are really asking them to do is not compete, when they certainly can.
They don't have to.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #90
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
What ****ing clock? The superhero popularity clock? I agree the superhero fad will eventually fade, but WB are in a better position than others due to their stable of heroes at their disposal.
You mean the ones that they can't seem to get off the ground for the past 13 years now? I think we are only fooling ourselves to think that after seeing how well Green Lantern performed both on and off the big screen that we could do better with characters such as Wonder Woman (a female superheroe) and Flash (who had a TV series more than 20 years ago that didn't finish a season) are stable enough to make it on the big screen. They need support from DC's two most successful film franchises, Batman and Superman.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #91
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
They don't have to.
But they want to right now. I have yet to read anyplace where they have said that they don't have to.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #92
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
You mean the ones that they can't seem to get off the ground for the past 13 years now? I think we are only fooling ourselves to think that after seeing how well Green Lantern performed both on and off the big screen that we could do better with characters such as Wonder Woman (a female superheroe) and Flash (who had a TV series more than 20 years ago that didn't finish a season) are stable enough to make it on the big screen. They need support from DC's two most successful film franchises, Batman and Superman.
Of course they need support from Bats and Supes, that's what I'm talking about. If/when the superhero trend dies down those two characters will be able withstand the fall, Spider-man is the other, maybe Iron Man too depending on how the character is recieved post RDJ. So with those two aces up their sleeve WB are in a better position to continue making superhero movies when the golden period comes to an eventual end.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #93
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Of course they need support from Bats and Supes, that's what I'm talking about. If/when the superhero trend dies down those two characters will be able withstand the fall, Spider-man is the other, maybe Iron Man too depending on how the character is recieved post RDJ. So with those two aces up their sleeve WB are in a better position to continue making superhero movies when the golden period comes to an eventual end.
No, when the genre goes down so will they, Just like it did in the 1940's and just like it did in the 1990's. Remember, It took a good 15 years before they made another Superman film after "Superman 4" and another 7 after "Batman and Robin". The genre can die down and to not even attempt to compete when it is at its high is nothing other than a missed opportunity. I want to think that whats going on now at the WB is all about greed amongst the producers. One camp want Justice League controlled under the the Man of Steel franchise, while the other wants to see it as it's own separate franchise (the former camp is using their properties as leverage to have their way). I think that Justice League, although riskier, could stand on it's own with its version of Superman and Batman. Of course that could directly compete with the other franchises, but at least it won't be a "one and done" film.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #94
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
You make it sound line you have to sign off on it before it becomes a project. Are you Kevin Tsujihara or something?
Oh look, you completely misinterpreted what I said and made yourself sound like an ass. That's a first.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #95
cleverusername8
Or something like that

I'm inclined to agree with the concern that the superhero genre could dry out in the next few years. Marvel is going hard with its aggressive two-movies-a-year schedule and will have a superhero movie for every other season pretty much (summer then winter holidays). By the end of Phase 2 and Avengers I feel like people will have seen enough and start ignoring superhero movies... especially the ones that attempt to build up to some team event. Now that it's been done, the novelty and excitement has been drained out and I fear that it will not return for at least a lifetime if at all.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #96
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Latino Review is wrong again.

And yet why do people still listen to this guy?

"It would mess up the continuity with Nolan's Batman films."

Gee you ****ing think?! This is what I've been saying for like two months!

- CM Punk
Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #97
shauner111
Side-Kick

They're not wrong. They were in talks like he said, then it fell through.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #98
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Please. They were wrong. In talks is pretty broad. That could mean anything. Could mean they made them an offer and they said no.

For this **** to be worth its weight, there has to be some actual truth to the outcome. El Mayimbe made it sound like it was a done deal. "CAN YOU FREAKING IMAGINE! SUPERMAN FINDS BRUCE WAYNE WITH A BEARD AND SAYS WE'RE PUTTING A TEAM TOGETHER!"

And honestly, how do I know the talks fell through is even legit? All I see is a lot of smoke and NO FIRE.

- CM Punk
Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #99
Airwings
Waves of air

A quote in a reply post over at the "other" page describes WB in a nutshell:

"you have to live under a rock in this day to not recognize the cinematic potential of their characters"

Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #100
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Oh look, you completely misinterpreted what I said and made yourself sound like an ass. That's a first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
If nothing official is announced for JL in 2015 after MoS or Comic-Con, I'm pulling Justice League off of my signature. If that is the case, then hopefully another DC movie is in its place for 2015.
I'm sorry, guy, but I don't know any other way to interpret this. I don't see how it makes me sound like an ass to ask you a question. You didn't answer my question either.