Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #176
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Default Re: The next Xbox - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
When the 3DS sales flopped right out of the gate, Nintendo did a pretty huge price drop which annoyed early adopters, so Nintendo introduced the "Ambassador Program" which basically meant if you bought a 3DS before the price drop they would give you 20 digital SNES and Game Boy games for free.
20 games?! Wow, that should make up for it. Good move.

The good thing about digital is that it's easy for companies to do giveaways, especially for older games as it doesn't really hurt them.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #177
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
A Gameinformer monthly article "Good, and Bad" on Nintendo and third parties touched on the third party problem. The way the paragraph put it, it seemed to be a mix of several things. One developer said that they're willing to develop for it, but not until it starts to sell better. Which makes sense, why put out a triple A game for an audience sub 5 million (considering a lot of triple A's sell more than that, it would take the entire Wii-U audience buying a copy to = normal PS3, and 360 sales). Another said they could put their game out on the system, but just didn't see it as being a worthwhile venture worth the man power. Another said they wanted to, but Nintendo wasn't reaching out towards them.

I think Nintendo's just stuck in the past, relying on namebrand power (not just the console, but games like Mario, and Zelda). They still don't understand the importance of hard drive space, especially in conjunction to downloadable titles. Which is going to put them very far behind considering the PS4, and 720 are going to probably have 500GB minimum. That's going to lock Nintendo out of several big titles as is.

Then I think they underestimate the importance of online. They still haven't straightened out their friends system. MS has proven Live is a cash cow, and this generation in particular has shown that ppl like online gaming. Nintendo once said that ppl demanding online services are just geeks, and otaku's. I think that philosphy is biting them in the ass right now.

Then, as you said, the marketing is a disaster. Nintendo gets everyone used to a different name each console, or atleast makes it a clear indication that it's a new system. Then they go peripheral crazy with the Wii, and act surprised when ppl think the Wii-U is another add on. They are so profitable, yet failed on so many levels when it came to marketing their next money printing machine.

Not to mention that now they're competing for the casual crown against a growing mobile gaming market. That even if it's more functional, chances are a touchscreen isn't going to grab the attention of the mainstream casual gamers as much as motion controls did (considering every pad and phone has one now, and the PS3 can do it with a Vita, and PS4 has built in touchscreen, amongst other features as well). When you add all of this up, I just don't see the Wii-U pulling Wii numbers. I'm not saying it will be a Gamecube, but they do need to do some damage control quickly. With the PS4, and Nextbox getting a lot of buzz, this isn't a position they want to be in at this point in time.
They said online gamers were geeks? Hahaha.

Nintendo have positioned themselves for the casual market (with system specs that are closer to consoles 7/8 years old than those of the upcoming gen) but that area is going to be the most competitive over the next few years. Apple & Google already have a much larger audience than Sony & Microsoft and I wouldn't want to take them on in the area where they are strong with the resources they have. And casual gaming is moving to casual devices like phones which people are willing to pay big bucks to upgrade regularly, but mainly on the back of other non-game-features. I don't think the same applies to casual-game consoles that aren't quite so portable and multimedia friendly/focused.

Of course the hardcore Nintendo fans will always be there to support it but many (most) of those have already bought near launch and it's now struggling to convince the fence sitters like me before the big games arrive. If they'd arrived now I'd have a decision to make but if they arrive close to the PS4/720 launch it will be too late. My wii U purchase (if it happens) will have been put off by at least a year after those consoles whatever games are out for it.

Like the wii, the wii U is not going to be enough by itself to fulfil most hardcore gamers needs. They would need to buy at least one other..PS4, 720 or pc as well as the wii U to get what they're looking for.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #178
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Anyone think Sony...Or Microsoft will try to one up the other on price? You KNOW it's a concern. It has to be... More so for Sony after the PS3 launch disaster. Sure Microsoft has the subscription based model (or rumored to) for 299...I have to wonder if Sony's just gonna be like "Yep..Here's our SUPER PS4...One SKU..299.99."
They should really launch at roughly around the same price otherwise they'll be continually undercutting each other and both companies will lose out. I see $399 as the minimum for a fully featured system although if different levels of subs are included then of course the upfront can be much lower, free even. At some level of launch price without subs it won't matter if you're succesful in sales or not as you'll lose too much money to make back on other elements of the console.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #179
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

I've seen a tv spot for the next x-box announcement.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #180
Benstamania
Cool... But rude.

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/05/06/repo...n-connectivit/

Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #181
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Quote:
"There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."
That's what I've expected all along but I hope they confirm this is how it will work during their conference.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #182
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Oh I didn't even know they cancelled it. That's a shame but maybe for the best if it means Killzone gets elevated to premium exclusive status. I would have played any future Resistance games eventually, not within at least a year of launch though.
Resistance just wasn't selling the way Sony wanted and the ****** Vita game just put an end to the series. I agree that it's for the best, with Resistance out of the way, Killzone will most likely be treated as the premium shooter for the PlayStation brand now.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #183
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
They're running on, at this point, last gen tech...Sony and MS will blow them out of the water soon graphically and they have to know that.
I'm not really expecting that to happen this generation. Based on the PlayStation 4 presentation, the graphics really aren't just a huge leap in comparison from the previous console transitions. The graphics just look like exceptionally pretty versions of the current generation.

Add in the fact that we're seeing the business strategy of Activision, UbiSoft, and other publishers in which they will still be supporting the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 along with the next-gen consoles which will allow the Wii U to remain viable in terms of power in the near future, especially since signs are showing that consumers are adopting new consumer tech much slower now (smartphones being the exception).

Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #184
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
A Gameinformer monthly article "Good, and Bad" on Nintendo and third parties touched on the third party problem. The way the paragraph put it, it seemed to be a mix of several things. One developer said that they're willing to develop for it, but not until it starts to sell better. Which makes sense, why put out a triple A game for an audience sub 5 million (considering a lot of triple A's sell more than that, it would take the entire Wii-U audience buying a copy to = normal PS3, and 360 sales). Another said they could put their game out on the system, but just didn't see it as being a worthwhile venture worth the man power. Another said they wanted to, but Nintendo wasn't reaching out towards them.
Even if the Wii U was selling fantastically, Nintendo has a problem in which people aren't buying third party games on their systems. They haven't really done so since the Nintendo 64. High selling third party games on Nintendo systems after the Super Nintendo are extremely few and far between.

What Nintendo needs to do is force people to get into third party games. Bundle Call of Duty with the Wii U. Because even if the Wii U has already sold 100 million units, it means jack **** to third party publishers when people like me are just buying the latest New Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Kart.

Quote:
I think Nintendo's just stuck in the past, relying on namebrand power (not just the console, but games like Mario, and Zelda). They still don't understand the importance of hard drive space, especially in conjunction to downloadable titles. Which is going to put them very far behind considering the PS4, and 720 are going to probably have 500GB minimum. That's going to lock Nintendo out of several big titles as is.

Then I think they underestimate the importance of online. They still haven't straightened out their friends system. MS has proven Live is a cash cow, and this generation in particular has shown that ppl like online gaming. Nintendo once said that ppl demanding online services are just geeks, and otaku's. I think that philosphy is biting them in the ass right now.
You have to look at what these companies are. Sony and Microsoft aren't video game companies. Sony is a consumer tech company that specializes in offering top notch hardware and Microsoft is a software company that is constantly on top of how tech trends are evolving. Microsoft is a fully American company and Sony has a lot of Western influence in its corporate governance, in comparison to the exclusively Japanese Nintendo where Japanese corporate culture is hindering progress. And the simple fact that in Japan is backwards when it comes to technological innovation.

The only way to really save Nintendo from this mindset is by having a foreign tech company like Samsung, Google, or Apple acquiring them.

Quote:
Then, as you said, the marketing is a disaster. Nintendo gets everyone used to a different name each console, or atleast makes it a clear indication that it's a new system. Then they go peripheral crazy with the Wii, and act surprised when ppl think the Wii-U is another add on. They are so profitable, yet failed on so many levels when it came to marketing their next money printing machine.

Not to mention that now they're competing for the casual crown against a growing mobile gaming market. That even if it's more functional, chances are a touchscreen isn't going to grab the attention of the mainstream casual gamers as much as motion controls did (considering every pad and phone has one now, and the PS3 can do it with a Vita, and PS4 has built in touchscreen, amongst other features as well). When you add all of this up, I just don't see the Wii-U pulling Wii numbers. I'm not saying it will be a Gamecube, but they do need to do some damage control quickly. With the PS4, and Nextbox getting a lot of buzz, this isn't a position they want to be in at this point in time.
Agreed.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #185
Fading
>:(

Quote:
They said online gamers were geeks? Hahaha.
http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-gee...ku-wii-storage

Quote:
Nintendo managing director Laurent Fischer made the assertion that expanded Wii storage was a feature "only geeks and otaku" would want Nintendo to address in future development.
It wasn't directed at online, though they did say, "Geek and Otaku". It's just that they've talked that way about storage and online features before. I kind of took it as being more directed towards several things. I think Nintendo still believes a game console should do nothing but play games. That things like large storage, and online features are a nuisance. They always seem to drag their feet when it comes to things like going from cartridge to disks, having the console play movies, and do multi-media stuff, online components, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Resistance just wasn't selling the way Sony wanted and the ****** Vita game just put an end to the series. I agree that it's for the best, with Resistance out of the way, Killzone will most likely be treated as the premium shooter for the PlayStation brand now.

It's kind of a shame about Resistance. I really liked 1, I liked that 50's alien invasion vibe. 2 tried to feel far too modern, and lost some of that soul. Though I still really liked 2 as well, the huge enemies, the co-op, they did a lot right in it as well. Even the viral ads leading up to both games had ppl hopping websites to figure out what was going on, and kept interest. I have no clue how they ended up dropping the ball so bad with the PSP games, and 3. I really thought the series had potential for awhile. Still though, maybe it is better they just try to focus on one AAA shooter since they still haven't quite got that anti-Halo killer app down yet.

Quote:
I'm not really expecting that to happen this generation. Based on the PlayStation 4 presentation, the graphics really aren't just a huge leap in comparison from the previous console transitions. The graphics just look like exceptionally pretty versions of the current generation.
Honestly, I think the leap will be as big as it has been in the past, PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3. When the current gen started, I saw plenty of arguments that the PS3 and 360 weren't that big of a step up from the PS2 and Xbox. The launch titles weren't nearly as pretty as what we're getting now. The nextgen launch titles will probably follow suite, and not really show a major leap until we're a few years in.

Not to mention, I think this gen will take leaps ahead in more significant ways. PS360 allowed for games to expand in ways other than graphics as well. Even with lesser graphics, things like Assassin's Creed, or Skyrim couldn't have happened in the PS2 gen. I'm talking physics, character movement, and how environments react.

PS4 and the Nextbox will probably be similar in that. I'm sure we'll see things like even more advanced AI. Physics that allow for smoother movement, and movement in ways they couldn't this gen. More content being able to be on the screen at once. Battlefields being more expanded, and having less invisible walls, and so on. I'm sure by the end of nextgen we'll be surprised just how far graphics have come since nextgen started. The same way I look back to early titles this gen, and am surprised how much graphics have improved to this point.

Last edited by Fading; 05-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #186
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

Quote:
That's what I've expected all along but I hope they confirm this is how it will work during their conference.
So basically we can play offline and use certain features..Like the 360 But more restrictive!?,IF I can still use the DVD/Blu-Ray player and play games then I'm good,I'm always connected to the Internet and only go offline when my net is turned off or not working for whatever reason and so there are times I need some offline featured!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #187
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
So basically we can play offline and use certain features..Like the 360 But more restrictive!?,IF I can still use the DVD/Blu-Ray player and play games then I'm good,I'm always connected to the Internet and only go offline when my net is turned off or not working for whatever reason and so there are times I need some offline featured!
Nothing's confirmed yet in any way but that's just what I've personally always expected. People heard the rumoured term 'always online' which has no definitive meaning in terms of consoles and assumed zero functionality outside of online (which doesn't even happen with smartphones) before the XBox was even announced.

Overreacting to rumours to the point of anger, panic & tears. It might even yet have always online & zero functionality despite whatever memos have been uncovered but there's no real basis to any of this until we hear from Microsoft. That Orth thing is the kind of exchange I'd expect from someone who is always online himself anyway (like many XBox Live users) talking about the hypothetic possibility of it being a restriction. If always online was an actual confirmed function at that time he would have given a no comment. It's like if someone had asked him about used games he'd probably defend the right for blocking used games but only if it weren't already a confirmed function in which case I'd expect a no comment again.

This rumour is based on no more than most of the rumours that turn out to be crap leading up to every console release since the internet has been around. There is a new next gen "story" every 2 days without fail. I know because I've searched for it every day in at least the last year.

Even just a few months ago the Sony used games rumour that circulated after the anti-used game patent filing (which many considered as actual proof)? Gone & forever forgotten in 2 minutes of the conference.

I have no idea how people forget so quickly. And on a superhero film news website I thought people would have even more awareness of this kind of thing with the amount of **** that gets thrown at us! Actually it probably is better than other game site forums to be fair.

Edit: Sorry, wasn't trying to kill your enthusiasm. I expect to be able to play games and watch films on the next XBox even when not connected. This memo doesn't confirm it to me, it could be just one semi-fabricated "leak"/rumour negating another. But I see no reason to change my longstanding expectation, at least until the 21st.

Last edited by Iceman; 05-06-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #188
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

Any chance MS will allow a single XBL Gold membership to cover multi-accounts from the same console this time?,I understand why not and they'd lose money..But it'd just suck IF I have to pay$100(assuming yearly Gold memberships are still $50)For me&my wife to have XBL for a year!

Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #189
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
Any chance MS will allow a single XBL Gold membership to cover multi-accounts from the same console this time?,I understand why not and they'd lose money..But it'd just suck IF I have to pay$100(assuming yearly Gold memberships are still $50)For me&my wife to have XBL for a year!
I hope so. You know they used to do a family Gold pack which was a really good deal, 4 Family Live accounts for less than the price of 2 regular Live accounts, although the other accounts had less freedom than the main account. They cancelled it a few months ago, no idea why. I hope they have some alternative system for the next XBox. It's quite unfair for families otherwise.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #190
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/7/4307...-gamescom-2013

Next chapter of Xbox gaming coming to Gamescom 2013

(Gamescom 2013 will run from Aug. 21 to Aug. 25.)

Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #191
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Quote:

Honestly, I think the leap will be as big as it has been in the past, PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3. When the current gen started, I saw plenty of arguments that the PS3 and 360 weren't that big of a step up from the PS2 and Xbox.
The launch titles weren't nearly as pretty as what we're getting now. The nextgen launch titles will probably follow suite, and not really show a major leap until we're a few years in.

Not to mention, I think this gen will take leaps ahead in more significant ways. PS360 allowed for games to expand in ways other than graphics as well. Even with lesser graphics, things like Assassin's Creed, or Skyrim couldn't have happened in the PS2 gen. I'm talking physics, character movement, and how environments react.

PS4 and the Nextbox will probably be similar in that. I'm sure we'll see things like even more advanced AI. Physics that allow for smoother movement, and movement in ways they couldn't this gen. More content being able to be on the screen at once. Battlefields being more expanded, and having less invisible walls, and so on. I'm sure by the end of nextgen we'll be surprised just how far graphics have come since nextgen started. The same way I look back to early titles this gen, and am surprised how much graphics have improved to this point.
Yup. I remember the exact same converstation back in 05, how the 360 didn't really have games that big of a step from the original xbox. Launch games never harness the full potential of next gen consoles.

Look at this launch game for 360 in 2005.

Looks terrible compared to a game like Halo 4.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

The first few games released for Nextbox/PS4 will look like pretty versions on games that came out this year. Give them a few years and I believe the jump will become more noticeable.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #192
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I just don't see a huge leap happening. In my opinion, the big thing in terms of power will be to allow developers to create big expansive worlds with beautiful graphics. Sure games like Halo 4 and God of War: Ascension look pretty, but those games last for what? 5 or 6 hours? Meanwhile you have the Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls games looking butt ugly in today's standards but having large expansive worlds that take tens of hours to finish just the basic game.

I think that is where next generation is really going to shine in terms of graphical power, the Bethesdas and BioWares are going to be able to make some of the most beautiful games to go along with their incredibly massive worlds.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #193
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
I just don't see a huge leap happening. In my opinion, the big thing in terms of power will be to allow developers to create big expansive worlds with beautiful graphics. Sure games like Halo 4 and God of War: Ascension look pretty, but those games last for what? 5 or 6 hours? Meanwhile you have the Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls games looking butt ugly in today's standards but having large expansive worlds that take tens of hours to finish just the basic game.

I think that is where next generation is really going to shine in terms of graphical power, the Bethesdas and BioWares are going to be able to make some of the most beautiful games to go along with their incredibly massive worlds.
Is that not a significant leap though if a massive game like Elder Scrolls can look as good as a top 5/6 hour cinematic game from this gen? Skyrim feels like at least 1 generational leap above Oblivion to me despite being in the same gen. And this discussion comes up because certain things once added can never be added again to the same marginal benefit eg.. sound, colour, 3rd dimension etc. But for games with a massive universe with any number of sentient NPCs and creatures, you're aiming towards a realistic simulation of life within that game. In other words your ambition is almost endless and we are still so far away from achieving that that there is plenty of room for new technologies to develop tools that bring new elements into play so that the improvement of games is not predictable and linear.

It's not for eg just getting exponentially more pixels on your hero's face and immediate surroundings. You develop totally new mechanics that weren't explored in previous generational technology so that there will always be a fresh wow factor. So while colour and sound were foreseeable improvements even before they arrived, maybe others such as (well I actually don't know & can't give good examples because they're not foreseeable ) weather simulation and physics engines for these worlds weren't quite as predictable in the age of SNES & Megadrive.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #194
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I would say yes and no in terms of it being an actual significant leap. In terms of how the graphics look? Not really. Artistically though, I think it's a big deal and I think that games with massive and expansive worlds will really get to the forefront next generation because of this.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #195
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/08/n...racing-reboot/

Xbox 720 could get Project Gotham Racing launch game devs hint

Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #196
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

I want Blu Ray capabilities, thats all.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #197
Benstamania
Cool... But rude.

Between the GT announcement and the PGR announcement (both possible...) I...Could care less.

*yawn* Racers.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #198
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

I agree,I'm sure some would be excited for it But I just don't care at all and so..Next launch game info please!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #199
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games...ion-4-launches

Activision raises concerns over Xbox 720, PlayStation 4 launches

Xbox 720 and PS4 could face Wii U-style apathy Activision CEO warns

Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #200
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games...ion-4-launches

Activision raises concerns over Xbox 720, PlayStation 4 launches

Xbox 720 and PS4 could face Wii U-style apathy Activision CEO warns
I cant believe he even put them in the same category as the Wii-U. He lost credibility right there

Closed Thread