The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

Default Re: Margaret Thatcher (1925-2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
They say never speak ill of the dead but I dont think that applies if the person who has died was pure evil who had caused untold misery for thousands; destroyed lives and decimating towns in the process.

Thatcher did all of that. She was an absolute witch.

She will not be missed. In fact, to those on here who dont know much about her or are on the outside looking in [from another country] it may surprise you to know that she was absolutely HATED by large sections of the U.K (largely in the north and in Wales) and that there are quite a few that are actually celebrating her death, considering the hurt she caused them when she was in power (the ramifications of her time in power are still being felt now) in which the rich got richer and the poor were left to rot.

I was personally effected by her actions so I'm one of those few. Her treatment of the City of Liverpool through the 80's (in which she basically cut all government funding with the intent to effectively strangle the city into oblivion) and of it's people after the Hillsborough tradegy (with the cover-up and the blame placed upon the innocent fans, many of whom had just watched their loved ones be crushed to death in front of their very eyes) was nothing short of criminal and its a shame that she never got brought to book over it.
No way, did she have a direct link then to the Hillsborough cover up? Never heard about that

uniqueweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #27
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Heck, you must be outright furious by now. The UK beat you to it ... as did Pakistan, India, Argentina, Brazil, South Korea, Canada, Germany, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Israel, Finland ...
Don't forget Australia!

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #28
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
They say never speak ill of the dead but I dont think that applies if the person who has died was pure evil who had caused untold misery for thousands; destroyed lives and decimating towns in the process.

She will not be missed. In fact, to those on here who dont know much about her or are on the outside looking in [from another country] it may surprise you to know that she was absolutely HATED by large sections of the U.K (largely in the north and in Wales) and that there are quite a few that are actually celebrating her death, considering the hurt she caused them when she was in power (the ramifications of her time in power are still being felt now) in which the rich got richer and the poor were left to rot.

I was personally effected by her actions so I'm one of those few. Her treatment of the City of Liverpool through the 80's (in which she basically cut all government funding with the intent to effectively strangle the city into oblivion) and of it's people after the Hillsborough tradegy (with the cover-up and the blame placed upon the innocent fans, many of whom had just watched their loved ones be crushed to death in front of their very eyes) was nothing short of criminal and its a shame that she never got brought to book over it.
I agree. Although you cannot deny that she'll be missed by many Tories.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #29
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Heck, you must be outright furious by now. The UK beat you to it ... as did Pakistan, India, Argentina, Brazil, South Korea, Canada, Germany, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Israel, Finland ...
Oh good lord yes, every year it is a massive let down....lol Someone new, every damn year....

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Don't forget Australia!
Throw salt on the wound JJJ.....just go ahead....

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
JKKS085
Side-Kick

She is the very person who called Mandela a terrorist, she supported the torturer and murderer Pinochet, she decimated the british industry, impoverished her country and the financial crisis can be widely attributed to the financial deregulation she initiated. I have nothing but contempt for her and her destructive legacy.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
She is the very person who called Mandela a terrorist, she supported the torturer and murderer Pinochet, she decimated the british industry, impoverished her country and the financial crisis can be widely attributed to the financial deregulation she initiated. I have nothing but contempt for her and her destructive legacy.
Agreed on all counts. I grew up under her leadership and she and her cronies were contemptible vile creatures. The current lot in power are most definitely her 'children' too.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #33
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Oh good lord yes, every year it is a massive let down....lol Someone new, every damn year....
If Afghanistan ever gets a female president before the US, I think you will just spontaneously combust on the spot.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

i've noticed that a lot of the Scottish and northern irish have a complete opposite opinion from most english on the woman

i was born in 82 so i cant say that i really lived through her years but being a lot older now yes i do think she was wrong on a lot but i feel that that she did a hell of a lot right

if she hadn't been as strong as she was and like a lot of the spineless *******s in Westminster the protestant community here in northern Ireland would have been royally screwed.

but sorry to have these people out on the streets throwing parties, writing crap on walls like "rot in hell witch" is just extremely low

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #35
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

She was the most polarizing British Prime Minister in recent history. There are people literally having parties in the streets over the news she died in Glasgow, Scotland, Derry, Northern Ireland and Brixton, London, England.

There is no other British politician that I can think of that would have people out on the streets celebrating their death.

I don't think I can put into words how despised Thatcher was by many people in the UK. For a whole generation of people who grew up or lived through the late 1970s and the 1980s she was a focal point for everything wrong with country in that period.

If you see British films, music, art, comics, novels, newspapers from her period of Prime Minister you will see the amount of hate she generated.

There was regular rioting on the streets of Britain during her premiership from Liverpool to London.

Thatcher may of modernized the economy of Britain but she did it in a way that left lasting damages that still harm Britain to this day.

Thatcher sold off and shut down many industrial industry businesses and public sector companies up and down the UK that could of been profitable if restructered or atleast sold off at a higher value. She did this for two reasons the first being to destroy or weaken the trade unions who support her and finance her political rivals the Labour Party thus crippling them and strengthening her parties position of power.

The second reason being that Thatcher believed that Britain's future posterity laid in the the retail service and free market financial service industry driven from London (which as we are seeing the effects of today are not a sold base to build a nations economy on).

These short sighted goals meant entire industries in towns in northern England and Wales were wiped out with real plans in place to regenerate or create new jobs. Many of these towns have never really recovered. Work in these towns are had to find, they attract very little investment which has lead to unemployment being high and crime rates being high.

Thatcher was kept in power by middle class people from southern and middle england who due to the population demographics had a majority and a ideologically backwards Labour Party who were borderline unelectable after they brought the country to its knees in the 1970s.

Thatcher was very unpopular in Scotland. Thatcher replaced the old council tax rates system with another one known as a the poll tax which was deeply unpopular. She did it a year earlier in Scotland than in England and Wales on the behest of Scottish secretary George Younger to introduce it early to avoid an expensive review of the old rates, which the government was legally obliged to do. This was viewed as Thatcher testing out her new taxes on the Scottish and a huge backlash to which the conservative party in Scotland has never recovered from. To this day the conservative party is almost non-existent as a political power in Scotland.

Thatcher also refused to agree to to economic sanctions against the apartheid goverment on in South Africa much to the annoyance of everyone from the queen to various heads of states across the world.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
i've noticed that a lot of the Scottish and northern irish have a complete opposite opinion from most english on the woman

i was born in 82 so i cant say that i really lived through her years but being a lot older now yes i do think she was wrong on a lot but i feel that that she did a hell of a lot right

if she hadn't been as strong as she was and like a lot of the spineless *******s in Westminster the protestant community here in northern Ireland would have been royally screwed.

but sorry to have these people out on the streets throwing parties, writing crap on walls like "rot in hell witch" is just extremely low
Out of curiosity what did she do for the people in Northern Ireland?

I know she took a hardline with the IRA (publicly anyway).

I don't know many Scots who have a kind word to say about her. I think alot of people who don't like her are actually holding back alot because they don't want to speak ill of the dead.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Out of curiosity what did she do for the people in Northern Ireland?

I know she took a hardline with the IRA (publicly anyway).

I don't know many Scots who have a kind word to say about her. I think alot of people who don't like her are actually holding back alot because they don't want to speak ill of the dead.
essentially that,it much like the falkland islands, back then a lot of Westminster just wanted to cut ties with NI and let the people here who consider themselves British to fend for ourselves, or just to hand over the 6 county's.

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #38
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I doubt there was ever enough people in goverment who truely felt leaving the 6 counties to fend for themselves was a good idea. Its like the released meetings notes from the Thatcher goverment about Liverpool a couple years ago about some ministerial warning to PM not to spend money on deprived city , saying decline was largely self-inflicted.

Some ministers probably thought it and some even said it but none of them of have the stones to really go through with it.

Leaving Northern Ireland to the various factions to fight out would not of solved any of the issues which is why the British Goverment was secretly talking to the loyalist and nationalist groups since the late 70s anyway.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
It's pretty amazing at how crass some people are when someone they disagree with politically dies. Seen some pretty nasty things flung her way today. Kind of makes you weep for humanity when you see such nasty stuff, especially how some people wish Dick Cheney and George W. Bush would join her. Guess there's just that many bitter and uninformed people.

I don't see why you'd think that. Considering people have been imprisoned, murdered, and started wars over political disagreements. Political disagreement is a pretty big thing with people. Certainly enough to be glad somebody died. I mean, it's not like hating Vegans or Mac Users or something. This stuff kinda matters.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #40
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I don't see why you'd think that. Considering people have been imprisoned, murdered, and started wars over political disagreements. Political disagreement is a pretty big thing with people. Certainly enough to be glad somebody died. I mean, it's not like hating Vegans or Mac Users or something. This stuff kinda matters.
But when you see people comparing her to the likes of Pol Pot and Saddam Hussein, it really shows out of touch with reality people are when their political biases start coloring their judgement as well.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #41
Anubis
Sup?

Maybe.

Or, maybe theres' a reason they feel that way. From their perspective. From their point of view, she was monster. Sure she didn't eat people or commit genocide, but she caused quite a few people misery. Peoples lives were ruined. Funny thing about people is that they tend not to like that sorta thing.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #42
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

People are buying MP3s of Ding Dong the Witch is Dead in order to run it back up to the top of the UK music charts.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/04/09/w...the-uk-charts/

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #43
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
People are buying MP3s of Ding Dong the Witch is Dead in order to run it back up to the top of the UK music charts.

That'll show them...that's just silly

Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post

I love this.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #45
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Funnily enough that was exactly my first thought when I heard the news ('Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead!").

Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #46
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Don't none of you DARE bring the Wizard of Oz into this! That is blasphemy to my people!

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #47
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I read that the London cast of the musical Billy Elliot, which takes place in one of the mining towns at the time of the strike, let the audience vote at intermission last night as to whether or not they would still sing "Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher", the song that opens Act 2 and includes the lyrics "Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher/we all celebrate today/'cause it's one day closer to your death".

Apparently the audience voted overwhelmingly to keep the song in.

The audience had a blast with it when I saw it in London a few years ago (it didn't have quite the same punch when it came to NY), so I can't imagine what it was like last night.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #48
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

If anyone is wondering why there isn't more Thatcher love, I would venture to say that a lot of people who voted for her are dead, dying, or otherwise incapacitated.

The woman evoked very strong feelings.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #49
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
If anyone is wondering why there isn't more Thatcher love, I would venture to say that a lot of people who voted for her are dead, dying, or otherwise incapacitated.

The woman evoked very strong feelings.
I take it she was more popular among older voters?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #50
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
I take it she was more popular among older voters?
Yep. She was leader of the conservative party. And she was first elected in 1979 (left office in 1990).

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote