The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #51
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Margaret Thatcher (1925-2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Yep. She was leader of the conservative party. And she was first elected in 1979 (left office in 1990).
Kind of sounds like the current Republican Party.

Think of everything that the Green Goblin has done in the world of Spider-Man, and think of everything that Doc Ock has done Doc Ock is the guy who killed Peter Parker! You don't get better ranking points on villainy than that. So you have two of Spider-Man's greatest foes the two greatest foes heading toward a collision....I've got a pit over here filled with people I've killed in Spider-Man. So I mean this in all seriousness: When you hit "Goblin Nation," all bets are off. No one is safe. No one is safe.

-Dan Slott
Hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #52
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Conservatives are usually older.

Course, she was fairly liberal by American standards. Pro-choice, in favor of legalizing gay...ness (it was a while ago). But boy did she hate unions. And commies.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #53
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #54
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Thatcher supported the Khmer Rouge, she supported Pinochet, she supported Suharto, she supported Apartheid. That is just her foreign policy. The woman stole from the poor, fattened the wallets of the rich, and destroyed the unions and working class. she instituted a poll tax that was per head, so two billionaires living in a mansion would pay less than three people in a squalid flat with no place to go.

She was wretched, evil woman who made a country powerful again by destroying the livelihoods of a majority population and then blaming them for their laziness.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Two-Face=Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #55
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Conservatives are usually older.

Course, she was fairly liberal by American standards. Pro-choice, in favor of legalizing gay...ness (it was a while ago). But boy did she hate unions. And commies.
What about section 28?

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #56
BunyonSnipe
New User - Level 0

Talking Re: Margaret Thatcher (1925-2013)

When I heard she was gone, I whistled "Ding dong the which is dead " all day long!

BunyonSnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #57
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

My dad is 76 and my mum is 65. Both are tories and they didnt like the woman either.

Anyways, heard someone joke today that Thatcher destroyed more towns and factories in the U.K. than the Luftwaffe. Joking aside they werent half wrong.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #58
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face=Badass View Post
Thatcher supported the Khmer Rouge, she supported Pinochet, she supported Suharto, she supported Apartheid. That is just her foreign policy. The woman stole from the poor, fattened the wallets of the rich, and destroyed the unions and working class. she instituted a poll tax that was per head, so two billionaires living in a mansion would pay less than three people in a squalid flat with no place to go.

She was wretched, evil woman who made a country powerful again by destroying the livelihoods of a majority population and then blaming them for their laziness.
Totally agree.

Unfortunately, and with the government in place at this moment Thatcherism is all too alive and well. The Bedroom tax is just the old Poll tax with a rebrand and all we've seen thus far are measures to take money from the poor and either line the pockets of the rich or at least make sure the rich dont have to pay out any money. Hell, even Thatchers funeral is rumoured to be costing over 10 million - and guess who'll be paying for that - Joe Public [who despised her] will foot the bill.

Even in death, the woman has found a way to cost us money.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #59
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
What about section 28?
Section 28 made it illegal for governments to "promote" homosexuality in public schools. It's not unlike the American "don't say gay" laws. Or that whole thing with Anita Bryant and "save the children".

It was the 80's and the height of the AIDS scare, so such laws were popular.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #60
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Well, I don't see her much different than Reagan....

Those that have a more Conservative tilt, liked her and Reagan, those that go a more Liberal tilt hated them....

The difference I see, and it is huge....when Reagan died, at least here in the US...he was still shown some respect, even by his major opponents, whereas Mrs. Thatcher is getting a major helping of "bashing" in some ways, to the extent of being very strange. I guess it is the one of the many differences between Brits and Americans...they were even talking about the difference on CNN last night, it is very evident. Hell, even Nixon didn't get this kind of treatment when he died...

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #61
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

What 'treatment'?

People were openly vocal of their hatred for the woman when she was alive [and I dont use that word lightly] so why should those same people suddenly be expected to shower her with praise - furthermore, if she was an evil b***ard when she was alive, why should an opinion of her alter just because she's died?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #62
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
What 'treatment'?

People were openly vocal of their hatred for the woman when she was alive [and I dont use that word lightly] so why should those same people suddenly be expected to shower her with praise - furthermore, if she was an evil b***ard when she was alive, why should an opinion of her alter just because she's died?
Because in the US, people will tend to not speak as ill of the dead like they would if they were still alive, sort of out of a basic sense of common courtesy and decency. With how people from Britain are talking, it seems like gloating or bashing someone that can no longer defend themselves. But I guess that's the difference between the 2 countries.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #63
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Some People feel Thatcher 100% ruined their lives. Those people are not going to just pretend to be nice because she died. Thatcher wasn't just another politician or Prime Minister who made policies and took positions they didn't like she was someone who literally ended the careers, livelihoods and communities of people in the country which is why decades on those people still alive continue to hold such anger towards her.

Most people in Britain will not speak ill of the dead if they believe that person is worthy of some respect or honor but if they don't feel that they will voice their opinions as unplesant to some as they may be.

To some giving faint praise would be just acting phony and being insincere.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #64
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Because in the US, people will tend to not speak as ill of the dead like they would if they were still alive, sort of out of a basic sense of common courtesy and decency. With how people from Britain are talking, it seems like gloating or bashing someone that can no longer defend themselves. But I guess that's the difference between the 2 countries.
Why would/should people show a basic sense of common courtesy and decency to one who didnt know the meaning of those virtues?

And Chamber-Music pretty much sums it up right there - she absolutely ruined peoples lives and caused no end of pain, heartache and suffering for others (and if you think thats just hyperbole, then you need to read up a bit more on the woman and her policies). Furthermore, we generally dont speak ill of the dead here in the U.K. either so it be indicitive of the sheer level of hatred we feel towards the woman if we are doing so now, but hey, you may not be able to see or understand that from that high horse you seem to be on.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #65
moviedoors
Side-Kick

This NAILS why "not speaking of ill of the dead" simply need not apply to powerful, divisive, public figures:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...eath-etiquette

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #66
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Why would/should people show a basic sense of common courtesy and decency to one who didnt know the meaning of those virtues?

And Chamber-Music pretty much sums it up right there - she absolutely ruined peoples lives and caused no end of pain, heartache and suffering for others (and if you think thats just hyperbole, then you need to read up a bit more on the woman and her policies). Furthermore, we generally dont speak ill of the dead here in the U.K. either so it be indicitive of the sheer level of hatred we feel towards the woman if we are doing so now, but hey, you may not be able to see or understand that from that high horse you seem to be on.
I'm not on any high horse. Just seems in poor taste to be so nasty to someone who is now dead. Time seems like it would probably be better spent moving on and not gloating over someone's death like many are doing here, considering she hasn't been in office for over 20 years.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #67
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well I think it depends entirely on who the dead person is. There haven't been political figures as divisive in American politics as Thatcher. The only close in is Bush, and even that has waned quite a bit.

Still, Americans do seem to have this idea that it's bad form to insult the dead. Unless they're like national enemies (i.e. Hitler, Bin Laden, etc).

Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #68
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not on any high horse.
You're last post very snottily implied that the US was better than the UK because of how we deified Reagen when he died. If that's not a high horse, I don't know what is.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #69
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
You're last post very snottily implied that the US was better than the UK because of how we deified Reagen when he died. If that's not a high horse, I don't know what is.
Noticing what seems like a very distinct cultural difference regarding the death of a politician and how they criticize one another is not being snotty. I've always found British to be a little more harsh with their criticism while Americans will tend to pull their punches so they won't offend too many people.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #70
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
I'm not on any high horse. Just seems in poor taste to be so nasty to someone who is now dead. Time seems like it would probably be better spent moving on and not gloating over someone's death like many are doing here, considering she hasn't been in office for over 20 years.

Oh, the ramifications of her policies and actions are still being felt 20 years later, beleive me. Let's just be clear on that. We in the U.K. lived it and still continue to live it. The resulting hatred is therefore more than fresh too; maybe you simply cant comprehend this?

Look, this is such an emotive issue I'm going to have to get out of this thread before I say something which may result in a ban. The OP asked for the views of posters from the U.K. and as such I've said my piece.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #71
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Reagan really wasn't such a divisive figure though. Granted, Republicans love the guy (in a way really only rivaled by Jesus), but Democrats don't hate him. They're not fans. But they don't think he's the devil.

The left hated Thatcher.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #72
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Section 28 made it illegal for governments to "promote" homosexuality in public schools. It's not unlike the American "don't say gay" laws. Or that whole thing with Anita Bryant and "save the children".

It was the 80's and the height of the AIDS scare, so such laws were popular.
Yeah, exactly. Having such a law instituted during your time in office hardly contributes to a reputation of being pro gay.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #73
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Yeah, exactly. Having such a law instituted during your time in office hardly contributes to a reputation of being pro gay.
Well, Clinton got away with DOMA and Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

But in the 80's no one was talking about gay marriage.

I'm not saying Thatcher was pro-gay (her ghost might sue me for libel if I did), but she was to the left of most conservatives on the issue at the time.

By comparison to American politics, that's pretty far left. Hell, in Virginia and Texas they're still fighting to keep sodomy illegal.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #74
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Still you were trying to have that as a plus in her corner. Being "left of most conservatives" means nothing in comparison to the actual actions taken.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #75
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

...I was just stating the record. She was in favor of legalizing homosexuality.

Take away from that what you want.

I'm not a fan of Margaret Thatcher.