The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #551
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
I have to wonder why people are denying it's an agent Rogers suit when it's 95% visually matching the agent rogers comic suit. The only major difference is the helmet.
What some people are saying is that just because it is based on a suit that wasn't technically a "Captain America" suit in the comics that doesn't really mean anything for the movieverse. In the concept art he is still wearing the Cap mask and sporting the shield. The character would still be recognizable to people as Captain America.

Quote:
Again, I hope this is just one suit of a few he wears in the film, and i hope the reason this suit is in the film is story driven, and not just some random change.
While all of that is possible, it isn't likely IMO that the in-story reason will be because he's no longer Captain America.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #552
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Even with all the Agent Rogers elements, he's still obviously recognizable as Captain America. It's not like the GA will see the trailer and be like "Whoa, is he not Cap anymore?! He's only got every part of his costume but the white stripes and red gloves!"

Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #553
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even with all the Agent Rogers elements, he's still obviously recognizable as Captain America. It's not like the GA will see the trailer and be like "Whoa, is he not Cap anymore?! He's only got every part of his costume but the white stripes and red gloves!"
Yep, if my 3 year old sees that picture, he will automatically say that is Captain America.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #554
spideymouse
Side-Kick

A quick Anthony Mackie interview with Black Film on his Falcon role:
Quote:
Will you have more to do than Derek Luke did in the first Captain America?
I’m happy to say that I’m in a good deal of the movie and I play an integral part with Captain America taking down the Winter Soldier. It’s great. They started the shoot 2 1/2 weeks ago and once I finished doing press for ‘Pain & Gain,’ I go in and join them. I’ve been doing combat training and fitness training just to get prepared. It’s going to be something and I’m excited for it.

How much awareness did you have on The Falcon prior to taking on the role?
I had never heard of the Falcon. I knew nothing about him. Once they sent me the comic book and told me everything they wanted me to do, I read up some and looked up his story. I’m really excited. He’s a cool character and we need that. We that (black) superhero that looks like them.

How is the costume going to look like?

They just released pictures of the costume last week. It’s more of a military style tactical costume. He’s more along the lines of Captain America as far as being a superhero as opposed to a true superhero.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #555
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

So what's Mackie saying? Cap isn't a true superhero? Don't really like the "military style tactical costume" look of Falcon.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #556
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
So what's Mackie saying? Cap isn't a true superhero? Don't really like the "military style tactical costume" look of Falcon.
I don't understand that part of the quote either. Maybe he meant "super soldier" or "superhuman" with a functional uniform rather than like a colorful costumed superhero?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #557
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I have to admit that I'm thrown off by the 'true superhero' quote. Especially since he's referring to the costumes. I think Cap's costumes are arguably the most superhero-like out of any of the other Avengers by far.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #558
Mr. Dent
Banned User

You guys over think and over analyze everything. He's saying that Cap is, first and foremost, a soldier. Same with Falcon. He's not a Superman or Batman that just takes on the mantle of crime fighting.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #559
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

^^Basically.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #560
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I have to admit that I'm thrown off by the 'true superhero' quote. Especially since he's referring to the costumes. I think Cap's costumes are arguably the most superhero-like out of any of the other Avengers by far.
Yeah, I think in the MCU Cap is "truest" superhero in regards to the character AND the costume.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #561
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
You guys over think and over analyze everything. He's saying that Cap is, first and foremost, a soldier. Same with Falcon. He's not a Superman or Batman that just takes on the mantle of crime fighting.
Well I wasn't over analyzing anything, I was just a little confused by the statement. Thanks for the clarification though.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #562
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Could be. Or he just means he doesn't have true "superpowers," like Thor or Hulk or Iron Man. If so, that's just nitpicking....you don't have to be a mutant or gamma-radiated or an alien to have "superpowers."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #563
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sweeping generalizations aside, I don't think I was over thinking; my source of confusion was at his wording of "a superhero as opposed to a true superhero." Probably easier to understand when said aloud than reading the transcript.

What hasn't been brought up yet is that he said shooting started 2 1/2 weeks ago, a little bit earlier than the first reports said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Could be. Or he just means he doesn't have true "superpowers," like Thor or Hulk or Iron Man. If so, that's just nitpicking....you don't have to be a mutant or gamma-radiated or an alien to have "superpowers."
Well, in context he was responding to a question about the costume, so I think it has more to do with function over fashion in regards to his uniform.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #564
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
I have to wonder why people are denying it's an agent Rogers suit when it's 95% visually matching the agent rogers comic suit. The only major difference is the helmet. Again, I hope this is just one suit of a few he wears in the film, and i hope the reason this suit is in the film is story driven, and not just some random change.
There were also midsection stripes on the concept art. Those aren't there on the Agent Rogers costume.

The only denial I see are people denying that it's actually got elements from both the classic and SS costumes.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #565
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
I don't think it's over thinking anything to admit I'm confused on the context of one line that isn't elaborated on. I think it's a bit pot, kettle, black to call others out on it while at the same time ascribing your own definition on what is a vague term in a short answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
There were also midsection stripes on the concept art. Those aren't there on the Agent Rogers costume.

The only denial I see are people denying that it's actually got elements from both the classic and SS costumes.
It also seems to be built in a similar fashion to the Captain America: TFA costume. That along with the midsection flag motif still being there (in part) and the helmet with the large A does seem to suggest that the Agent Rogers costume has been folded into the Captain America costume. If it were just meant to be an Agent Rogers costume then I doubt it would have those elements imo (especially the helmet with the A for America and remnants of the flag motif).

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 04-15-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #566
BatmanFanboy
Side-Kick

Check out this video of Cap and Thor me and my friend made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRaJTVYXARY

Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #567
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
there were also midsection stripes on the concept art. Those aren't there on the agent rogers costume.

The only denial i see are people denying that it's actually got elements from both the classic and ss costumes.
..... +1

Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #568
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
All the characters underwent notable visual changes. Black Widow's costume was redone without being redesigned, but there are a ton of changes, which were not necessary, they chose to update her costume. The IM2 uniform was a dark (dark) blue, as both an ode to Black Widow's dark grey, as a practical matter of lighting, and in keeping with the blue worn by high level shield operatives like Maria Hill and... Steve Rogers.

Why exactly can't Captain America be a SHIELD Agent? And how is someone who works for SHIELD carrying out their orders, sharing orders and a mission with a clearly proclaimed SHIELD agent, not a SHIELD Agent? Why is the star and stripes on his chest not 'enough' symbolism of America? Who exactly is he symbolizing to as he's doing black ops work?

I understand where you're coming from: "If they remove any of the America, how can he call himself Captain America?" And that makes sense for someone who feels strongly about Cap's symbolism... but it doesn't actually make sense for the characters to feel that strongly about his symbolism. To Cap, the world has fallen "No one said what we lost" and unless his perspective changes through experience, he's not going to be up for representing that. Not if the movie makes any sense beyond "Amurcuh."
I am not saying he can't be a SHIELD agent. I am just saying, right now, it doesn't seem like he IS a SHIELD agent. If he is a shield agent in the movie, then the agent rogers uniform is fine, and I don't have a problem with it. But as far as I can tell, its about the super hero aspect of steve rogers, not his shield one. Captain America.

In a nutshell, all I am saying is this: If he ISN'T employed, or working, for shield, then he should be wearing his cap uniform. Him working for shield makes sense, but it just doesn't seem like he IS a SHIELD agent right now. He woke up in 2012, SHIELD found him, and gave him a place to stay, I wouldn't say that MAKES him a shield agent yet.

That's all, until we know he IS a shield agent, I think he should be wearing a Captain America costume, because the film is called "Captain America" Captain America the super hero. Unless of course they decide to actually make him a SHIELD agent. Which would suck in my opinion.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #569
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

But superheroes in the MCU aren't a community... it's 4-6 guys who have actual jobs. In Avengers, as far as getting paid by SHIELD and taking SHIELD missions, from SHIELD commanders, exclusively using SHIELD equipment, having clearance for some SHIELD info and not others, Steve is a SHIELD agent. Tony is something else, but being a genius billionaire playboy philanthropist doesn't make him any less a superhero. Same with Banner being... a country doctor. There's no conflict between their day job and the title given to them based on how they respond to alien invasions.

In comics, superhero is an occupation. In the MCU, as of yet, it's not.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #570
marcvader
Lurker #1

All I'm going to say is this. I have Cap in all his glory in the comics I read and have read in the past. I've seen him in a pretty cool WWII interpretation of his suit in TFA. I've seen him in an OK modern day interpretation of his suit in Avengers. I'd like for them to develop the suit from Avengers a little more to where it is perfect but apparently it may not be happening from what we have seen so far. What we do know is we are getting a mix with touches from his first two and the Captain Rogers suit. All in all I'm alright with that. It's not worth getting upset over as it's out of my hands. So far I've been happy with the MCU Cap. Is he a perfect representation of the Cap I know and love? No. But he's been done as well as can be expected by someone that doesn't now how Cap is supposed to look and sound like to me. That's impossible. So take my advice, roll with it. If you want the perfect Cap, read it and you'll satisfy yourself otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #571
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Exactly. He's just saying Cap (and Falcon, and BW and Hawkeye's) job isn't "to be a superhero." Their job is to complete SHIELD missions, and as a result they are called superheroes, but that's not what they put on their resume.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #572
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post

Again, as i and others have said, only the helmet comes from a classic suit. Those midsection stripes bare no resemblence to a classic suit. They appear to just be detail to fill in where the SS suit is just plain... Like the added stitching details on black widows suits and such.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #573
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The stripes were a weird detail cause they were like different shades of blue.

Also this helmet had exposed ears unlike TFA and The Avengers.

Though early promotional art and concept designs for The Avengers costume had the exposed ears look going on.

- CM Punk
Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #574
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
The stripes were a weird detail cause they were like different shades of blue.
I think they're supposed to be dark red personally (or just red but in shadow). Look at the red stripes at the side and compare them with those at the front. I think it's how the artist has chosen how to light it.

The only colour that seems to be missing from the stripes pattern is the white which seems to be substituted for blue. Though even if the colours are different it still resembles the flag motif that usually adorn any Cap costume.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #575
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I think they're supposed to be dark red personally (or just red but in shadow). Look at the red stripes at the side and compare them with those at the front. I think it's how the artist has chosen how to light it.

The only colour that seems to be missing from the stripes pattern is the white which seems to be substituted for blue. Though even if the colours are different it still resembles the flag motif that usually adorn any Cap costume.
Ive looked at the image on multiple screens, all i see is blue and darker blue, no red. Compared to the red side stripes, they look dark blue like the rest of the darker blue details on the arms and pants.

Closed Thread