The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #751
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Yet!
What? You honestly think they can tackle both the Winter Soldier storyline and have Bucky Cap in the same film? Even if it were just at the end it would just seem silly.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #752
DN91
Star-Spangled Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
What? You honestly think they can tackle both the Winter Soldier storyline and have Bucky Cap in the same film? Even if it were just at the end it would just seem silly.
It'll probably be for Captain America III, if they choose to do a loose adaptation of the storyline where Steve got killed.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #753
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Being on SHIELD spy missions is a pretty good reason not to wear a red, white, and blue symbolic outfit. :/
Being on SHIELD spy missions is a pretty good reason not to tote around a big-ass shiny metal shield, too. How well do you think *that'll* work out?

I sez it before, and I sez it again: Cap is a Super-SOLDIER, not a Super-SPY. There's a huge difference in the skillset between him and, say, Black Widow and Hawkeye. That's why I don't buy into the theory that the costume change is somehow supposed to be stealthier, because it sure as hell isn't.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #754
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
In the same film no. In the MCU? Maybe eventually.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #755
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Being on SHIELD spy missions is a pretty good reason not to tote around a big-ass shiny metal shield, too. How well do you think *that'll* work out?

I sez it before, and I sez it again: Cap is a Super-SOLDIER, not a Super-SPY. There's a huge difference in the skillset between him and, say, Black Widow and Hawkeye. That's why I don't buy into the theory that the costume change is somehow supposed to be stealthier, because it sure as hell isn't.
Except it is. It is not a bunch of bright colors and it is a darker blue. It's even more form fitting. You can bring the shield up, but it doesn't change the fact that the outfit itself is fit more for stealth than his traditional suit. The shield does not change this. By your logic, they should use a bright ass costume just because the shield is the same color. May as well go completely all out.

Also, we don't see the shield in those pics in the first place, so that is pretty moot at this point.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #756
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Except it is. It is not a bunch of bright colors and it is a darker blue. It's even more form fitting. You can bring the shield up, but it doesn't change the fact that the outfit itself is fit more for stealth than his traditional suit. The shield does not change this. By your logic, they should use a bright ass costume just because the shield is the same color. May as well go completely all out.

Also, we don't see the shield in those pics in the first place, so that is pretty moot at this point.
honestly, I fought on both sides of this war, and here I am now..

who caressssssss lol, it will work itself out in time

Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #757
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I agree. Bucky Cap just doesn't seem like workable idea.
That's one of those comic storylines that gets written because everything else has already been done. I hope to never see that garbage on screen.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #758
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Norman Osborn is not in IM3, and yet they saw fit to use the Iron Patriot suit.

The new suit doesn't mean he's giving up the Cap mantle. It's just a new suit they decided to use.
I said there just better be a good story driven reason for it, I didn't say it had to a specific story. Just like Rhodey being the Iron Patriot armor has a story driven reason behind it as well.

Last edited by peterparker0077; 04-18-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #759
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Now see, if he gives up the mantle (temporarily, of course), the costume change *would* make sense. What I don't want to see is a completely arbitrary shift from red white and blue patriot symbolism to a dull blue generic suit like this for no other reason than for sheets 'n' giggles. That is not only moronic, but also insulting to everything that Cap stands for.

If he goes all "Nomad", so be it. Good show. If he goes "Agent Rogers," and lets Bucky don the flag and shield temporarily, so be it. Good show. Those stories make sense, and they're part of the lore and mythos. Just "trying out a new look" --- one that is very UN-Captain American --- is a load of horse****.
exactly

Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #760
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
In the same film no. In the MCU? Maybe eventually.
Eventually being the key word. Even for a third film would seem too soon in my opinion.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #761
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

Oh, you mean exactly like, you know, the ACTUAL Captain America costume? The red, white and blue one that evokes the American flag? THAT costume that's been iconic for the past, oh, 72 years?

Then yeah. They may as well go completely all out. Because that's the damn point of the costume, and the character. Not sneaking around and playing Sam Fisher.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #762
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

You're assuming an awful lot about a film you've only seen a few setpics from.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #763
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Welcome to the Hype.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #764
Frico
Live by the creed

Lol.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #765
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
You're assuming an awful lot about a film you've only seen a few setpics from.
So is everybody else arguing from the other side of the aisle.

But yeah, agreed....this costume change could represent only a small fraction of the film, so it's not worth us traditionalists getting worked up about. (Yet. But stay tuned if the writing on the wall keeps heading in that direction. )

Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #766
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

gotta be open to change Sam! traditionalism can only be so appealing before it gets too boring

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #767
Superhero 101
DESI

Maybe the reason Steve changed his costume is because Rhodes stole his look as iron patriot

Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #768
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Batroc the Skipper??
Don't be silly. Batroc will be a fully fleshed character with a complete character arc - He'll be known as Batroc the hop, skip & jumper.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #769
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

to all the people out there not liking the new costume, while i myself dig it, i can empathise; i hated the mark 42 when i first saw it.

my advice, don't let it get you down too much, and who knows, maybe it will grow on you. at least in this case, you have a narrative-based justification for steve's more subdued colour scheme.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #770
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
to all the people out there not liking the new costume, while i myself dig it, i can empathise; i hated the mark 42 when i first saw it.

my advice, don't let it get you down too much, and who knows, maybe it will grow on you. at least in this case, you have a narrative-based justification for steve's more subdued colour scheme.
do you like the 42 now? I was 50-50 at first but the more I saw it the more it grew on me, now I enjoy it. It's just 'one of the suits' to me now haha.

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #771
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
do you like the 42 now? I was 50-50 at first but the more I saw it the more it grew on me, now I enjoy it. It's just 'one of the suits' to me now haha.
i like it a lot more than i did. i still prefer the classic red and gold, but i can see why they felt the need to do something different.

still, if the mark 42 was say, the silver centurion design instead, i would be even more keen to see the movie (and i am already extremely keen lol)

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #772
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
Maybe the reason Steve changed his costume is because Rhodes stole his look as iron patriot
This may be more real than you think

Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #773
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
gotta be open to change Sam! traditionalism can only be so appealing before it gets too boring
Have you watched the "Making of the Hero" extras on the TFA blueray? They, including Kevin Feige, discuss the costume in great detail and discuss this... so many attempts to change Caps look over the last 70 years, and none of them ever work, it always goes back to the classic look... Same can be said for Spiderman.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #774
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
Have you watched the "Making of the Hero" extras on the TFA blueray? They, including Kevin Feige, discuss the costume in great detail and discuss this... so many attempts to change Caps look over the last 70 years, and none of them ever work, it always goes back to the classic look... Same can be said for Spiderman.
I would argue that part of the reason they don't work is that too many comic readers demand that things never change. It's part of the reason comics' popularity only goes so high. Any change is looked at like some kind of affront.

Last edited by Crimson King; 04-18-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #775
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I would argue that part of the reason they don't work is that too many comic readers demand that things never change. It's part of the reason comic's popularity only goes so high. Any change is looked at like some kind of affront.
I've come to notice in my year or so here that many comic readers are, no offense to anyone, very stubborn. so that statement doesn't surprise me at all haha.

Closed Thread