The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #326
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

I'm not saying this film shouldn't be intense and serious, but I find TDK to be too bleak for fair comparisons with MOS. If MOS has a BB/Iron Man level of seriousness, that could actually be appropriate. But it should set up an epic showdown which will leave the theater rooting for the true son of Krypton!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #327
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

So where has that artwork come from?

The skulls stuff sounds different to what I assumed it was.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #328
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I'm not saying this film shouldn't be intense and serious, but I find TDK to be too bleak for fair comparisons with MOS. If MOS has a BB/Iron Man level of seriousness, that could actually be appropriate. But it should set up an epic showdown which will leave the theater rooting for the true son of Krypton!
Oh, I agree about the showdown! ;-)... And I expect MOS to be way above a film like Iron Man. I'm expecting MOS to be in the same kind of god-like league as the batman films (and that's also what they're aiming for - no doubt). Iron man. Thor. Hulk. cap-A. They just don't match up when compared to bats and supes. These two DC characters just have bigger and more epic status.

I don't want MOS to be as dark as TDK. And it won't be. But I do want it to take it self seriously all the way through. And I DO wanna be feeling the same intenseness during this film, as I felt when waching TDK ;-)

Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #329
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

^ I'm sorry but IM is pretty close to Supes/Bats territory now, thanks to RDJ and Marvel Studios

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #330
Naite22
Side-Kick

^
In no way do I see Iron Man being close to what Nolan did with Batman. I'm talking about the batman films feeling like epics. Like Huge really BIG films. Along side classics like Saving private ryan, and Gladiator Epics. that kind of huge. No chance in hell does Iron Man come close to that. Iron Man is a very cool superhero film, yes. But where a film like TDK was so incredibly close to being nominated for Best Picture (and should've as well), this is something Iron Man will never obtain...

I fully expect MOS to knock the living **** out of all the Iron Man films. And I'm a big Iron Man fan.

Last edited by Naite22; 04-16-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #331
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
Oh, I agree about the showdown! ;-)... And I expect MOS to be way above a film like Iron Man. I'm expecting MOS to be in the same kind of god-like league as the batman films (and that's also what they're aiming for - no doubt). Iron man. Thor. Hulk. cap-A. They just don't match up when compared to bats and supes. These two DC characters just have bigger and more epic status.

I don't want MOS to be as dark as TDK. And it won't be. But I do want it to take it self seriously all the way through. And I DO wanna be feeling the same intenseness during this film, as I felt when waching TDK ;-)
Yeah, cool it with the DC-Marvel pissing contest. This can only end badly...

Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #332
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Yeah, those who are expecting it to be as dark as TDK may be in for a suprise. It will no doubt go to some dark places, (ie human casualties onscreen, see screencap of blue antigravity beam for proof on that) but i think that the tone of both movies will be distinct. Similar, but distinct. Comments from Snyder, Goyer and Nolan indicate that they get that Bats and Supes are different characters with different themes. I believe they even said the movie wont be as dark as TDK or TDKR but has ALOT more action. Cant wait to see how accurate this is.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #333
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Yeah, cool it with the DC-Marvel pissing contest. This can only end badly...
I ain't pissing on anything. That's not what i'm trying to do. I love both parties.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #334
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Quote:
I ain't pissing on anything. That's not what i'm trying to do. I love both parties.
I love both companies movies as well. Idk why some people believe they have to choose between the two. They are all CBMs, so win-win right?

I agree that the Iron Man franchise is incredibly popular, but not quite on the level of the last batfilms. I'd say as far as popularity in movies goes, I'd rate Batman first, Spider-Man second, Iron Man third.

Again, this is just opinion and its not ment to disparage either company since popularity in the GA doesnt effect my opinion of movies.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #335
Naite22
Side-Kick

^ i'd agree on the ratings of those superhero franchises :-) Spider-Man 2. Much above Iron Man for me. It's very very good.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #336
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

The skull imagery makes me think of this

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #337
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
^ i'd agree on the ratings of those superhero franchises :-) Spider-Man 2. Much above Iron Man for me. It's very very good.
Iron Man as a franchise so far is fun but uneven (so far) due to Iron Man 2. The second film showed the weakness of Iron Man as a property: he doesn't have strong villains. Hopefully, Iron Man 3 can fix that.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #338
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
So where has that artwork come from?

The skulls stuff sounds different to what I assumed it was.
The artwork prints are actually posters from gbposters.com. The assumption is they're exclusively for Man of Steel. Here's the link: http://www.gbposters.com/related/Man...20Steel?page=1

Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #339
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra Cain View Post
The artwork prints are actually posters from gbposters.com. The assumption is they're exclusively for Man of Steel. Here's the link: http://www.gbposters.com/related/Man...20Steel?page=1
Thanks

Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #340
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
^ I'm sorry but IM is pretty close to Supes/Bats territory now, thanks to RDJ and Marvel Studios
Popularity with casual audiences...maybe. The actual film? not a chance, the actual character? again not a chance. You are talking about two characters all the way from the 30's who have been an integral part of pop culture ever since.

And i think what Naite was refering to was the sense of scale and tone, MoS won't take superman with a wink and a smile to the audience the way SR did, the way Marvel films thrive on doing. Some people don't like that...it's fine, but in my personal opinion, a film about Superman needs to feel REAL important, not just another superhero.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #341
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Popularity with casual audiences...maybe. The actual film? not a chance, the actual character? again not a chance. You are talking about two characters all the way from the 30's who have been an integral part of pop culture ever since.

And i think what Naite was refering to was the sense of scale and tone, MoS won't take superman with a wink and a smile to the audience the way SR did, the way Marvel films thrive on doing. Some people don't like that...it's fine, but in my personal opinion, a film about Superman needs to feel REAL important, not just another superhero.
Couldn't have said it better my self. I rest my case

Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #342
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

Good post

I do love the Marvel films but a Superman film needs to be so much more and it looks like they've achieved that.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #343
elgaz
Side-Kick

I love all superhero film franchises, but I do recognise that Marvel films and DC films tend to differ, with a lot of the reason being down to the characters themselves and how they've been portrayed in the original comics. Both companies have had their epic character storylines but I always found Marvel always had more of an injection of humour, whereas DC took a slightly more serious and at times pragmatic approach.

It's a bit like comparing the Star Wars/Star Trek franchises. Both have huge fanbases, long histories, are set in space and have some iconic characters, but are extremely different in how they're executed ................. with the Star Wars franchise (arguably) having a lighter and more comedic tone at times, and Star Trek adopting a more serious and philosophical approach.

Both work for me, for different reasons .......... just like Marvel and DC.

Regardless of all this, we as fans have never had it so good when it comes to superhero films. There's an abundance of them, with studios happy to throw major money at them and modern computer effects making them more and more realistic. Sure, we get the odd stinker - but it's still a much better situation than 10-15 years ago.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #344
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I think its good they differ, its kind of like chocolate I prefer Galaxy over Dairy Milk but I still like to have Dairy Milk. Its great that they differ.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #345
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think its good they differ, its kind of like chocolate I prefer Galaxy over Dairy Milk but I still like to have Dairy Milk. Its great that they differ.
Galaxy any day of the week. It's just so....smooth.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #346
elgaz
Side-Kick

I'll take Lindt over both

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #347
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Everyone can prefer Marvel or DC over the other, but why not be a fan of both? Marvel has a lot of good **** and a lot of dumb ****, same goes with DC. I'm more or less excited to see any superhero movie, regardless of which company it belongs to.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #348
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I feel that the whole Marvel vs DC mentality is what could cause WB to rush the League. It's not a healthy mentality. Maybe for comics, but not for movies. DC should just try to make great movies and go for the League when their ducks are gathered in a row.

That being said, I want Superman to OWN the summer.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #349
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Galaxy any day of the week. It's just so....smooth.
Yeah its the best love me some ripple, cookie crumble, caramel and even normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I'll take Lindt over both
That is some good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I feel that the whole Marvel vs DC mentality is what could cause WB to rush the League. It's not a healthy mentality. Maybe for comics, but not for movies. DC should just try to make great movies and go for the League when their ducks are gathered in a row.

That being said, I want Superman to OWN the summer.
Yeah I agree concentrate on making good superhero films and let the stars align so they can do JL in about 10 years, there really is no need to rush. This is why I hope Man of Steel smashes the box office that way they can see that you don't need to stick all these heroes in one film yet cause they sell on their own.

I'm not sure if its gonna win the box office but its definitely gonna be the best film this year and yes I am bias

Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #350
Jas Chiang
FIRE RISES

cant wait for the new trailer

Closed Thread