The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #751
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

it is so sad when non superman fans, or general public don't know the changes in his origins through the years and discredit the depth of superman. it is also sad that the strongest villains in superhero genre are from superman, yet none of them have been used on film so people discredit him again. call him too powerful without good villains. it is all bs. superman has the best villains and is not too power for them. doomsday, darkseid, metallo, brainiac, are some of the best villains of any comic --- period!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #752
Jim-El
"My Son"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
The fact they're shooting for "the most superheroic film ever made" makes me even more pumped for this one!
I believe trailer number 3 verifies that.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #753
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Does he look angry here?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Or is this a fan manip or something?
I wish somebody would respond to this. After hearing a similar complaint, I posted the exact same picture and don't believe I ever heard a response. Don't know why so many people seem to overlook this photo. There's your smiling Superman right there! Unless it really is a manip, people should stop asking this question.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #754
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

he will smile in the film at times, but it would be suicide for marketing to show this film as anything less than serious after disaster of donner's superman sequel made by singer.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #755
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
I wish somebody would respond to this. After hearing a similar complaint, I posted the exact same picture and don't believe I ever heard a response. Don't know why so many people seem to overlook this photo. There's your smiling Superman right there! Unless it really is a manip, people should stop asking this question.
At first glance, it looked like a manip, but then I came across this

Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #756
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXcalibur View Post
it is so sad when non superman fans, or general public don't know the changes in his origins through the years and discredit the depth of superman. it is also sad that the strongest villains in superhero genre are from superman, yet none of them have been used on film so people discredit him again. call him too powerful without good villains. it is all bs. superman has the best villains and is not too power for them. doomsday, darkseid, metallo, brainiac, are some of the best villains of any comic --- period!
I've never understood this. Superman isn’t even close to being one of the most powerful beings in comics. Sure, he is uber-powerful compared to humans and even the likes of Iron Man, Spider-Man, and arguably even The Incredible Hulk, but on the full comic book scale he's by far from being the first person I'd complain about as being 'too powerful'.

If you were to actually create a tier list, it might go something like this:
Superman < Gladiator < Hercules< Silver Surfer < Thanos < Odin < Galactus < Beyonder, but that's just me.

Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #757
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I would have assumed Superman was at least equal to Gladiator and Hercules if not more powerful than them.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #758
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I would have assumed Superman was at least equal to Gladiator and Hercules if not more powerful than them.
depends on the writers really.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #759
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Yeah, really depends on the writers. An argument can be made that even Sentry is equal to or superior to Supes(again, depends on the writers).

Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #760
Maia87
Side-Kick

Hey -- I don't want to start a political debate here but it's weird that Warner promotes Man of Steel with the same American flag on two official pictures.

We are not in the 1940s or the 1970s anymore, the Cold War ended more than two decades ago...The U.S. flag is no longer an integral part of the visual identity of the character....

Remember, two years ago Superman renounced his U.S. citizenship in 'Action Comics #900.' written by David S. Goyer (who wrote MOS). Superman appeared in Tehran to non-violently support the protesters demonstrating against the Iranian regime. Superman renounced his American citizenship at the United Nations to continue working as a superhero from a more global than national perspective. "I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy".

I know it's a fictional character created by Americans, for Americans. But the image of Superman has changed during over the years. He's not the symbolic concept of "the American Dream" anymore, but a symbol of hope for the entire world.

People complained about Spider-Man 3 and the fleeting shot of a waving U.S. flag. I hope Man of Steel will not have this kind of unnecessary scene

Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #761
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
The fact they're shooting for "the most superheroic film ever made" makes me even more pumped for this one!
Agreed... But Snyder saying that the final running-time only being about 2:10 hours DOESN't get me pumped it's too damn short!! This film seems to be covering a lot, and also a lot of areas... I fear that it will feel rushed now.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #762
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia87 View Post
Hey -- I don't want to start a political debate here but it's weird that Warner promotes Man of Steel with the same American flag on two official pictures.

We are not in the 1940s or the 1970s anymore, the Cold War ended more than two decades ago...The U.S. flag is no longer an integral part of the visual identity of the character....

Remember, two years ago Superman renounced his U.S. citizenship in 'Action Comics #900.' written by David S. Goyer (who wrote MOS). Superman appeared in Tehran to non-violently support the protesters demonstrating against the Iranian regime. Superman renounced his American citizenship at the United Nations to continue working as a superhero from a more global than national perspective. "I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy".

I know it's a fictional character created by Americans, for Americans. But the image of Superman has changed during over the years. He's not the symbolic concept of "the American Dream" anymore, but a symbol of hope for the entire world.

People complained about Spider-Man 3 and the fleeting shot of a waving U.S. flag. I hope Man of Steel will not have this kind of unnecessary scene

I understand what you're saying, but Superman is still an American pop culture icon. Having the flag in the background is a nice nod to that.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #763
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

This new photo in Hi-Res:

Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #764
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
This new photo in Hi-Res:

I was about to post it Now I update my post in the No discussion thread..

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #765
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denish View Post
I was about to post it Now I update my post in the No discussion thread..
Just a suggestion, you might want to keep the smaller one posted and include the big one in spoiler tags. It makes the topic easier to view and also people may want to repost the smaller image in the future!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #766
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just a suggestion, you might want to keep the smaller one posted and include the big one in spoiler tags. It makes the topic easier to view and also people may want to repost the smaller image in the future!
Too late...sorry

Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #767
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denish View Post
Too late...sorry
Edit button is your friend.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #768
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Edit button is your friend.
I'm soo lazy..Give me 5 minutes and I'll fix it

Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #769
Maia87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I understand what you're saying, but Superman is still an American pop culture icon. Having the flag in the background is a nice nod to that.
Blue suit, red boots, red cape, gold belt, dark hair, big 'S' on his chest. People know it's Superman. Does he REALLY need the U.S. flag in the background to be iconic? Just sayin'.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #770
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXcalibur View Post
the strongest villains in superhero genre are from superman, yet none of them have been used on film so people discredit him again. call him too powerful without good villains. it is all bs. superman has the best villains and is not too power for them. doomsday, darkseid, metallo, brainiac, are some of the best villains of any comic --- period!
No, I can't agree with this. Brainiac is probably the most interesting, Darkseid is okay albeit slightly generic, the others are pretty dull. I really don't see how you can think Doomsday is a character at all. He's just an anti-Superman device, like walking kryptonite.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #771
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:

Truth, justice and the American way....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #772
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:

Superman has and always will be an American symbol. His whole story is built around it. Look at how he is raised, who raises him. He is the ultimate immigrant, born in the time of the American dream. He grows up in middle America, with good, old fashion American values. It is a big part of what shapes him.

I loved seeing the flag in the other shot and this one makes me even more happy.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-25-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #773
Vagosnati
Vag-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
Agreed... But Snyder saying that the final running-time only being about 2:10 hours DOESN't get me pumped it's too damn short!! This film seems to be covering a lot, and also a lot of areas... I fear that it will feel rushed now.
To tell you the truth,if the 1 hour and 45 minutes it will be full of action,i will not be complain at all.STM was very long,but lacked from action.SR too.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #774
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Does he look angry here?

Or is this a fan manip or something?

...don't know if I'd call that a smile, but it is a pleasant expression.

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #775
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

How is superman portrayed as a Christ figure? I don't get it. Which part?

Closed Thread