The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #976
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Yeah. This scene is really sad.

TheFlamingCoco is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #977
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

i agree snyder's handle on dramatic scenes is one of his most underrated traits

Project862006 is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #978
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep
 
Uroboric Forms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 992
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Spoiler alert: Jonathan Kent will explode

Though in fairness, the Snyder death scenes that I can remember which have meant to be sad, Sucker Punch included, have all done their job well

Uroboric Forms is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #979
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Reading pre-Sucker Punch MOS reactions, it's sad how people have ganged up against him for that ONE movie. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70356
Just 3 years ago, he was a widely popular director among fans. But he makes one less-than-steller "passion project" and people lay into him like a pack of hyenas. I feel like it will take TWO solid movies to restore his mojo to the public. But I personally think Zack has the stuff to make MOS rule.

TheFlamingCoco is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #980
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave
 
Sharkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,128
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Reading pre-Sucker Punch MOS reactions, it's sad how people have ganged up against him for that ONE movie. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70356
Just 3 years ago, he was a widely popular director among fans. But he makes one less-than-steller "passion project" and people lay into him like a pack of hyenas. I feel like it will take TWO solid movies to restore his mojo to the public. But I personally think Zack has the stuff to make MOS rule.
You can't blame people for it though, I mean the bar has been raised so high when it comes to superhero properties and considering that someone as successful and acclaimed as Bryan Singer was failed to make a great Superman movie, the possibility of being burnt would be there even with a better director than Snyder. Sucker punch (and to a certain extent) Watchmen didn't help.

At least they didn't get the directors of "you me and dupree" to direct it...I think we'll be fine.

__________________
1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #981
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 44,477
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i agree snyder's handle on dramatic scenes is one of his most underrated traits
hmmmm is it?

dark_b is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #982
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 44,477
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post













i only now noticed Lara in the background.

dark_b is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #983
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,974
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Reading pre-Sucker Punch MOS reactions, it's sad how people have ganged up against him for that ONE movie. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70356
Just 3 years ago, he was a widely popular director among fans. But he makes one less-than-steller "passion project" and people lay into him like a pack of hyenas. I feel like it will take TWO solid movies to restore his mojo to the public. But I personally think Zack has the stuff to make MOS rule.
It bothered me how it became the cool thing to bash Snyder after that movie. I used to read Heavy Metal so I totally got what he was trying to do. Being that they wouldn't let him make his dream project he went out and made what he could that was the closest to it. I have always been a fan of Snyder's so I always feel the need to speak up for him. And as an artist it's hard always trying to make something from your point of view and have people like it. I gave him a lot of respect for doing something that he was passionate about. He took a risk and that shows guts.

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #984
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,624
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Dark B - who's that in your avatar?

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #985
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 36,502
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

I know it's popular to hate Sucker Punch but goddammit I didn't hate Sucker Punch, I liked a lot about it as a matter of fact. I also thought that Dawn of Dead and Watchmen were legitimately good to very good films. I'm fine with most hating Punch or being mixed on Watchmen.

I think that his films look amazing and that he knows how to shoot the hell out of action scenes. I also think that he handles actors just fine.

Now as I've said before this is coming from a woman who hates 300 which was the movie that actually put him on the map. I'm sure I was calling him a hack at one point but Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen changed my mind. And Sucker Punch, as flawed as it is, solidified my opinion that he is a solid director.

I'm not saying greatest director ever and I'm happy that Goyer and Nolan were there when it comes to MOS because Snyder is a deeply flawed director who can get better.

I'm already on the Snyder train and it's going to be funny as all get out to see people singing a different tune about him if MOS is as good as it looks.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #986
DKDetective
Commander RNVR
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,274
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I wonder how the Jonathan Kent death will be handled. Will he get lifted by the tornado and thrown into something and bleed out whilst uttering some final words of wisdom to Clark. Will he die helping someone else. No doubt Clark will be rushing everywhere to save everyone, but not be able to save his Pa (very sad ).
Personally, I'd like Pa Kent to die from a heart attack similar to All-Star Superman, either just as a fluke after they save everyone else during the tornado or from over-exertion helping others. It teaches Clark so much about mortality and his powers. It makes him realize that he can't save everyone. That perhaps some deaths are just meant to be. A violent death as a result of the tornado doesn't have the same effect. It's something that Clark could have prevented if he was faster, stronger or chose Pa's life over someone else. If could not have saved his father's life no matter what, it makes him have to consider the morality of his actions. Is it fair that he can save some but not others? Would it be more fair if he did not use his powers and allowed the universe to decide who lives and who dies? etc.

DKDetective is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #987
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Yeah, I think a natural death is best. Then it isn't a failure on Clark's part.

TheFlamingCoco is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #988
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave
 
Sharkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,128
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

It should always be a natural death, anything else means something completely different to clark. Pa kent dying of a heart attack or illness is just Clark confronting human fragility, with all his powers he is incapable of saving him. If it was a tornado or a car crash then it would be a failure on Clarks part. Two different character developments, one is about being alone and the other one is about being weak. Superman is about the former. Batman is more the latter.

__________________
1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #989
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Dark B - who's that in your avatar?

Project862006 is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #990
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
It should always be a natural death, anything else means something completely different to clark. Pa kent dying of a heart attack or illness is just Clark confronting human fragility, with all his powers he is incapable of saving him. If it was a tornado or a car crash then it would be a failure on Clarks part. Two different character developments, one is about being alone and the other one is about being weak. Superman is about the former. Batman is more the latter.
a tornado still is perfect incapable of saving him scenario a tornado where clark probably had to choose between his father and saving children

like here clark cant be everywhere at once

Project862006 is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #991
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,847
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
a tornado still is perfect incapable of saving him scenario a tornado where clark probably had to choose between his father and saving children

like here clark cant be everywhere at once
I was going to sayÖ If Clark happens to be saving someone else - and as a result, is unable to save his father - thatís not a failure. Thatís a harsh and formative lesson in not being omnipotent.

Dr. is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #992
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

^ A scene in which Pa Kent is dying and tells his son how he wouldn't want anyone but Clark as his child would make me in a good way.

TheFlamingCoco is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #993
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,951
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Personally, I'd like Pa Kent to die from a heart attack similar to All-Star Superman, either just as a fluke after they save everyone else during the tornado or from over-exertion helping others. It teaches Clark so much about mortality and his powers. It makes him realize that he can't save everyone. That perhaps some deaths are just meant to be. A violent death as a result of the tornado doesn't have the same effect. It's something that Clark could have prevented if he was faster, stronger or chose Pa's life over someone else. If could not have saved his father's life no matter what, it makes him have to consider the morality of his actions. Is it fair that he can save some but not others? Would it be more fair if he did not use his powers and allowed the universe to decide who lives and who dies? etc.
Yeah, you're completely right. That's the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ A scene in which Pa Kent is dying and tells his son how he wouldn't want anyone but Clark as his child would make me in a good way.
Yeah, if Snyder's done it right, it will be a very moving scene.

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #994
Andreth
Side-Kick
 
Andreth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fangtasia
Posts: 2,699
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Personally, I'd like Pa Kent to die from a heart attack similar to All-Star Superman, either just as a fluke after they save everyone else during the tornado or from over-exertion helping others. It teaches Clark so much about mortality and his powers. It makes him realize that he can't save everyone. That perhaps some deaths are just meant to be. A violent death as a result of the tornado doesn't have the same effect. It's something that Clark could have prevented if he was faster, stronger or chose Pa's life over someone else. If could not have saved his father's life no matter what, it makes him have to consider the morality of his actions. Is it fair that he can save some but not others? Would it be more fair if he did not use his powers and allowed the universe to decide who lives and who dies? etc.
Yeah but this is exactly what would make the scene more powerful and a bigger lesson to learn for Clark, at least IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I was going to sayÖ If Clark happens to be saving someone else - and as a result, is unable to save his father - thatís not a failure. Thatís a harsh and formative lesson in not being omnipotent.
IA.

__________________
"A 12 year old Ben Linus brought me a chicken salad sandwich. How do you think I'm doing?"
LOST


"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #995
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

hope pa kent gets hit by a cow


brutal death lol

Project862006 is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #996
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,346
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

I get what people are saying with the heart attack thing, but I really hope it's not done that way in the film.

I just want something bigger and more dramatic with a lot of tense action build up (like a tornado)... I think it'll be a much more impactful moment emotionally if your on the edge of your seat right before it happens!

And I also really like the idea of him dying a hero. Like he yells at Clark to go and help some other people and that he'll be fine, and then he gets hurt.

It'd also explain why Clark goes into exile a lot better than a simple heart attack IMO too.

hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #997
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet
 
snpklsdmbldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 437
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Snyder can make an action scene emotional, like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVeg78Yfp7g

snpklsdmbldr is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #998
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,951
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I get what people are saying with the heart attack thing, but I really hope it's not done that way in the film.

I just want something bigger and more dramatic with a lot of tense action build up (like a tornado)... I think it'll be a much more impactful moment emotionally if your on the edge of your seat right before it happens!

And I also really like the idea of him dying a hero. Like he yells at Clark to go and help some other people and that he'll be fine, and then he gets hurt.

It'd also explain why Clark goes into exile a lot better than a simple heart attack IMO too.
Hmm. I get that but I think that DKDetective and the rest are right. Don't worry we're going to get plenty of tense action and spectacle no doubt during this entire scene. And then when the danger is gone and Clark is feeling good, and relieved and somewhat happy with his accomplishments of lives he saves he comes back to his folks (hoping for their recognition) to find his father collapsed. It will be this high note dramatically shifting to this bitter end to this massive scene. And Clark will definitely not take it well. That said, it could be that Pa Kent gets killed by the tornado so we'll see.

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #999
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice
 
Eddie Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 6,552
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by project862006 View Post
hope pa kent gets hit by a cow


brutal death lol
lolololololol

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Lee Jones
I cannot sanction your buffoonery.
Eddie Dean is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #1000
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,974
Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - - Part 11

This film is going to have everything I've always asked for in a Superman movie! A physical and hard hitting Supes, action packed with a great suit and and a realistic tone. And an actor who looks like he jumped right out the comics (and manly). Something to be proud of as a 3 decade Superman fan.

The one thing that I have a tiny concern with... is the dialog. This is only from the trailers obviously. But I've noticed that even though the lines and delivery are fine, they seem a bit one-linerish. They don't really come off as conversations per say.

Anyone agree or care to say why they don't?

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.