Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #926
NanaT
X-Men United!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Doubt they would be willing to sign another multi-picture deal like they did fourteen years ago. Some returned due to their need to re-exposure (Berry), others due to loyalty to Singer (McKellen, Paquin) and others because they're team players and know what butters their bread (Jackman, Stewart).

This feels more like a conclusion to the X-Men saga than a new beginning, despite the time tinkering theme.
If this is the conclusion to the X-Men Saga then why has no one said yet. I'm sure that would be something that could add more hype for the movie. If it's supposed to be the last one featuring the original cast. But then again that is just so anti-climactic, why bother making a movie that is supposed to end the X-Men Saga for these actors when they already made one back in 2006 for that same purpose. There's a reason it was called the LAST Stand you know.

It would make more sense for Fox to go through all the hassle it would have gone through to get actors like Halle Berry, Anna Paquin and Ellen Page back. When they already had a star in Jennifer Lawrence and the rising profiles of McAvoy and Fassbender and Hoult. It could have easily made a direct sequel to First Class. It's quite obvious Fox have a plan of action which they will set in motion as soon as they find out the box office returns for DOFP as well as how critically acclaimed the movie. They'll be listening to hear what audiences and critics think about the return of the OT actors and then they will greenlight an X4/X5. I mean there is every possibility that in drafting the contract for this film Fox included sequels clauses which would compel actor to come back and reprise their roles. And thus the problem of having actors return is solved (not that there was ever a problem, you'd have to be a fool to say no to an X-Men movie.)

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #927
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I think the original trilogy cast might commit to two more films, especially if they were presented as a two-part story. The same might apply if Fox presented a story idea spread across a new trilogy but that's more of a stretch for someone to want to commit 5 years or more of their career (based on Lord of the Rings trilogy which filmed 1999-2001 with pick-up shooting 2001-2004)

As long as they get the key stars (Jackman, Berry) and possibly fan-requested returnees (Cyclops, Phoenix, Gambit), then they'd be fine as there's then room to bring in some fresh characters (Psylocke, etc)

It all depends how the land lies at end of DoFP. Story arcs might have ended for some characters (probably Magneto, and maybe Xavier, Mystique, Beast, Rogue). Pure speculation on my part but they can't keep all the OT cast (and they won't be able to if some don't want do any more films) so there is likely to be some room for new characters - which will help bring new blood to the series.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #928
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
If this is the conclusion to the X-Men Saga then why has no one said yet. I'm sure that would be something that could add more hype for the movie. If it's supposed to be the last one featuring the original cast. But then again that is just so anti-climactic, why bother making a movie that is supposed to end the X-Men Saga for these actors when they already made one back in 2006 for that same purpose. There's a reason it was called the LAST Stand you know.

It would make more sense for Fox to go through all the hassle it would have gone through to get actors like Halle Berry, Anna Paquin and Ellen Page back. When they already had a star in Jennifer Lawrence and the rising profiles of McAvoy and Fassbender and Hoult. It could have easily made a direct sequel to First Class. It's quite obvious Fox have a plan of action which they will set in motion as soon as they find out the box office returns for DOFP as well as how critically acclaimed the movie. They'll be listening to hear what audiences and critics think about the return of the OT actors and then they will greenlight an X4/X5. I mean there is every possibility that in drafting the contract for this film Fox included sequels clauses which would compel actor to come back and reprise their roles. And thus the problem of having actors return is solved (not that there was ever a problem, you'd have to be a fool to say no to an X-Men movie.)
Completely agree.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #929
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post

But it makes no sense. Why would they do that? Why would they wait 10 years, then decide to do a sequel trilogy, recast everyone and tie themselves down to the reality Singer establishes at the end of this film? If you recast everyone, no one will care. No one will want ties to this series. No director will want to re-enter the world that Singer creates in this film and did nothing with. It's basically a reboot but not a reboot. It's Superman Returns.

truth is Fox could stretch this franchise out for another 10 years, FC3, 3rd wolverine solo, X4 and X5 and a X6

i don't think they are thinking oh what will we do in 2023 when we run out of steam, i don't think thats important to Fox, it just looks good for Fox to have this sucessful franchise

just look at marvel they have 2 films every year and if this calculates right then avengers 3 will be in 2017-2018 and by then i'd be very surprised if the franchise is still going amazing well, after all marvel really are rushing through it, even more with trying to have a tv series going at the same time, so where will marvel be in 10 or 12 years time? still doing this same franchise?

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 05-15-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #930
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Doubt they would be willing to sign another multi-picture deal like they did fourteen years ago. Some returned due to their need to re-exposure (Berry), others due to loyalty to Singer (McKellen, Paquin) and others because they're team players and know what butters their bread (Jackman, Stewart).

This feels more like a conclusion to the X-Men saga than a new beginning, despite the time tinkering theme.
I agree. As much fun as it would be to bring the original cast back for another go round, for preservation of the franchise as a whole and to keep it young it makes the most sense to possibly wrap the original timeline up and start new with Lawrence, McAvoy, Hoult, Fassbender a la Star Trek 2009.

That way the original franchise still serves a purpose to the overall story and they can get away with casting newer actors in roles (such as Cykes, Jean, Storm etc.). It also keeps them from having to do a traditional reboot of the franchise.

If what we've heard is true and Fox plans on making a connected or bigger universe between their properties they're going to have to bring in fresh faces sometime in the immediate future because there's only so many times the original are going to, or want to, play the same characters. I highly doubt they'd do even more than one more movie with the original team together and I honestly don't think one extra movie is even worth it in the long run.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #931
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think the original trilogy cast might commit to two more films, especially if they were presented as a two-part story. The same might apply if Fox presented a story idea spread across a new trilogy but that's more of a stretch for someone to want to commit 5 years or more of their career (based on Lord of the Rings trilogy which filmed 1999-2001 with pick-up shooting 2001-2004)

As long as they get the key stars (Jackman, Berry) and possibly fan-requested returnees (Cyclops, Phoenix, Gambit), then they'd be fine as there's then room to bring in some fresh characters (Psylocke, etc)

It all depends how the land lies at end of DoFP. Story arcs might have ended for some characters (probably Magneto, and maybe Xavier, Mystique, Beast, Rogue). Pure speculation on my part but they can't keep all the OT cast (and they won't be able to if some don't want do any more films) so there is likely to be some room for new characters - which will help bring new blood to the series.
I personally think that some users here are allowing their own want for a rebooted series to take over their logic.

I can easily see them adapting a popular comic arc into a two part X-Men movie featuring the OT cast. In fact I myself have come up with my own ideas of what a movie after DOFP could be about. (My idea involves adapting comic book stories Mutant Massacre, House of M and Schism and leads into an Apocalypse movie) And like you said not every actor has to return. Just the ones you mentioned, and the ones you did mention are the ones I can definitely see returning. Hugh and Halle love working with each other and love playing their respective characters and the involvement of those two satisfy the 'Hollywood Stars' requirement needed for a Studio to greenlight a movie. Then bring back any actors that want to come back (Stewart, Ashmore, Mckellen possibly Paquin etc) and you cast new actors to play new X-Men (Psylocke) and new villains (Sinister, Apocalypse)

It really is not that implausible. Is users here don't want a continuation with the OT cast that is fine, and I respect that. But to say that it is practically impossible and unlikely despite this movie itself serving as evidence that the actors are prepared to star in more X-Men movies.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #932
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
If what we've heard is true and Fox plans on making a connected or bigger universe between their properties
they only have 2 properties don't they? is Fantastic 4 reboot still going to be set in the 60s? if so they can connect it to FC easy

Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #933
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
they only have 2 properties don't they? is Fantastic 4 reboot still going to be set in the 60s? if so they can connect it to FC easy
There are a lot of X-Men characters from their universe that could certainly hold their own movie. Not to mention, there are teams other than X-Men proper.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #934
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
just look at marvel they have 2 films every year and if this calculates right then avengers 3 will be in 2017-2018 and by then i'd be very surprised if the franchise is still going amazing well by then, after all marvel really are rushing through it, even more with trying to have a tv series going at the same time, so where will marvel be in 10 or 12 years time? still doing this same franchise?
Well, that's their plan. Same franchise, same universe, continuing with recasted characters and new introductions. And with their two film per year release schedule, I imagine their aim is to never lose momentum and hope it will keep their series alive, despite recasts/newer characters.

How well that will work is another story.

Quote:
I personally think that some users here are allowing their own want for a rebooted series to take over their logic.

I can easily see them adapting a popular comic arc into a two part X-Men movie featuring the OT cast. In fact I myself have come up with my own ideas of what a movie after DOFP could be about. (My idea involves adapting comic book stories Mutant Massacre, House of M and Schism and leads into an Apocalypse movie) And like you said not every actor has to return. Just the ones you mentioned, and the ones you did mention are the ones I can definitely see returning. Hugh and Halle love working with each other and love playing their respective characters and the involvement of those two satisfy the 'Hollywood Stars' requirement needed for a Studio to greenlight a movie. Then bring back any actors that want to come back (Stewart, Ashmore, Mckellen possibly Paquin etc) and you cast new actors to play new X-Men (Psylocke) and new villains (Sinister, Apocalypse)

It really is not that implausible. Is users here don't want a continuation with the OT cast that is fine, and I respect that. But to say that it is practically impossible and unlikely despite this movie itself serving as evidence that the actors are prepared to star in more X-Men movies.
Again, completely agree. They managed to line up all(?) of the OT ensemble for this film. Based on that alone, there is no reason to believe they will not be open to the idea of more, at the very least.

McAvoy, Fassbender, Hoult and Lawrence are only signed up for one more film beyond this, anyway. They could very well be as "difficult" to re-sign as any of the OT cast, particularly Lawrence, whose star is very much on the rise.

Just because they are newer, younger signings does not automatically mean they will be more committed to the franchise than the OT cast. Truth be known, none of us know how committed any of the actors are, but this notion that it would be difficult to get more films out of the OT cast is based on nothing but conjecture. I could just easily say that Lawrence and Fassbender will bolt when their contract expires. It doesn't mean it's true.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #935
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Lawrence and Fassbender leaving wouldn't wreck anything either. You just then wouldn't have The Brotherhood as the villain.

There are plenty of other X-Men antagonists that can carry a film along with the X-Men team.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #936
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Lawrence and Fassbender leaving wouldn't wreck anything either. You just then wouldn't have The Brotherhood as the villain.

There are plenty of other X-Men antagonists that can carry a film along with the X-Men team.
Agreed.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #937
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I remain convinced when Donnor was talking about X4 she was talking about DOFP and the X5 she mentioned back In 2011 Is followup to DOFP In corrected timeline.
+1. You and me both.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #938
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
+1. You and me both.
and me too...

much like how "Young X-men" and "X-men Origins: Magneto" became "X-men First Class"

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #939
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yep! Agreed 100%.

Quote:
Exactly. All evidence seems to say we will see more with the OT cast.

Quote:
Just because they are newer, younger signings does not automatically mean they will be more committed to the franchise than the OT cast. Truth be known, none of us know how committed any of the actors are, but this notion that it would be difficult to get more films out of the OT cast is based on nothing but conjecture. I could just easily say that Lawrence and Fassbender will bolt when their contract expires. It doesn't mean it's true.
Great point!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #940
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

It's not the fact that it will be "difficult" to get movies with the original cast - not at all. It's the fact that realistically how many SHOULD they do with the original cast before it gets to "beating a dead horse" levels.

Fox would have to have some sort of plan in mind in order to keep the franchise from dying out and saying "We're bringing back the original cast" really doesn't cut it, even if they come back for multiple films (2+) which I personally don't see.

It's just based on logic and longevity, what's best for the brand and franchise in the long run and my opinion is that focusing on the younger, First Class movies is the best option.

Lord knows I would love for the original cast to come back and right the wrongs made in The Last Stand and Origins, but at some point you have to accept that the ship has sailed.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #941
Angamb
Banned User

the ship sailed for those who really dont see the franchise moving forward.

But for Fox who has the money and a good creative team (director and writers) the franchise can easily move forward with all the great actors and characters of the original trilogy.

Of course they can do more FC movies, thats another issue.

But if they can do two more movies with original cast, why to stop?

Is there a norm that a cast cant have 5 movies? or 6? or that it has to stop at 4? or something? lol

Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #942
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's the fact that realistically how many SHOULD they do with the original cast before it gets to "beating a dead horse" levels.
They have decades of stories to draw from using these characters. What do you mean by "beating a dead horse"? Was it "beating a dead horse" to use the original Harry Potter cast for 8 movies? For goodness sake, this will only be the fourth one with the OT team.

Quote:
Lord knows I would love for the original cast to come back and right the wrongs made in The Last Stand and Origins, but at some point you have to accept that the ship has sailed.
Sure, but IMO that time has not yet arrived.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #943
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:

And about time that we see some of them!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #944
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
A new trilogy with all new actors IS a reboot. There is nothing familiar for audiences to latch onto. How is it not a reboot if everything about the series will be new. And the fact that is an alternate timeline will mean that they'll be no references to the Original trilogy. That is a REBOOT in every sense of the world.
How is it a reboot? What if the FC quad reprise their roles for another trilogy? Are we going to still call that a reboot? Since when did recasts automatically mean reboot? Do Batman and Bond ring a bell?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #945
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
They have decades of stories to draw from using these characters. What do you mean by "beating a dead horse"? Was it "beating a dead horse" to use the original Harry Potter cast for 8 movies?
I don't think that's a valid comparison at all. By beating a dead horse, I don't mean making X-Men movies in general, I meant using the same original cast.

They knew going into Harry Potter there would be seven books, and thus seven movies so they cast accordingly. It wouldn't make much sense, plus be completely bizarre, to just up and recast in the middle of the franchise.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #946
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
A new trilogy with all new actors IS a reboot. There is nothing familiar for audiences to latch onto. How is it not a reboot if everything about the series will be new. And the fact that is an alternate timeline will mean that they'll be no references to the Original trilogy. That is a REBOOT in every sense of the world.
That' not necessarily true. I mean, look at Star Trek 2009 it still fit into the context of every movie and it's continuity that came before it, but it recast every single character. I wouldn't consider that a reboot at all.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #947
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
How is it a reboot? What if the FC quad reprise their roles for another trilogy? Are we going to still call that a reboot? Since when did recasts automatically mean reboot? Do Batman and Bond ring a bell?
I read your post wrong. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #948
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
The practical, business end of things where Fox wait ten years and decide to do a new trilogy set in an alternate universe with completely recast characters rather than immediately following up what could be a gamechanging film for the series? How does that even make the slightest sense in terms of business?

They would be abandoning a rejuvenated franchise with proven, bankable stars. It's madness.
Not quite. Going young is justifiable since we are talking about the 70's 80's timeline. The core X-Men would be kids. You could build another Harry Potter/Twilight type run if the first film is successful. I could see a new trilogy with this "new cast" (hopefully James/Michael reprise their roles). Even if it is one film (FC3), it's still too lucrative to abandon considering the star power of the FC actors right now.

Quote:
Why couldn't they anchor a franchise for another 2-3 films? All the buzz for this film comes from the very fact that these guys are back/potentially coming back. If they end this film with a new timeline, where these guys are all back together and could face off against new enemies, you can bet people will be hyped to see it. Dependent on whether DOFP is good or not, of course.
Because the women are 50+ years old. They are some fine MILFs don't get me wrong, but this is Hollywood. Marketing ladies past their primes as action heroines just isn't going to cut it. I don't know how long Jackman will hold up either, since we are talking about another trilogy. Their salaries would be high as hell and they are passed their primes. Not the sustaining formula for a franchise.

Quote:
And Jackman is dedicated, as you note. We have no reason to think he wouldn't be up for more, other than the fact that you just "don't see it". He's one of the few actors playing a comic book character who has shown this degree of affection and dedication for the role and is talented enough that playing the character has never typecast him. He can go from Wolverine to Les Mis and back again with ease. He's sitting pretty.
Feel the same way about RDJ. These actors aren't fanboys like you an me. If the money is good enough, anything is possible. But I expect Jackman to hang it up after this, or Wolverine 3. I also expect A2 to be RDJ's last MAJOR role in the MCU.

Quote:
But it makes no sense. Why would they do that? Why would they wait 10 years, then decide to do a sequel trilogy, recast everyone and tie themselves down to the reality Singer establishes at the end of this film? If you recast everyone, no one will care. No one will want ties to this series. No director will want to re-enter the world that Singer creates in this film and did nothing with. It's basically a reboot but not a reboot. It's Superman Returns.
They probably wouldn't wait that long you are right. Maybe another similar gap from TLS to DoFP. So I say FC 3 in 2017. Let the actors move on to other projects. Buy some time with a Deadpool movie, Wolverine 3, and FF sequels. Then fire up the next trilogy in 2024-25 ish. Hopefully Michael and James come back. Michael and James would be in their mid 40's. In otherwords, PRIME TIME. If FC 3 introduces the young Cyclops and Jean and those actors become big stars, then you really have something cooking. Singer will be done with the franchise by then, so it will be another reinvigoration with a new vision.

It's not exactly what I want to see happen. I want the OT back as much as anyone else. But in Fox's perspective I wouldn't deem it worthwhile... unless I could secure the OT cast (Singer as well) for two films back to back and have them both out by 2017-2018 so it looks like a direct continuation from DoFP.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-15-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #949
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think that's a valid comparison at all. By beating a dead horse, I don't mean making X-Men movies in general, I meant using the same original cast.

They knew going into Harry Potter there would be seven books, and thus seven movies so they cast accordingly. It wouldn't make much sense, plus be completely bizarre, to just up and recast in the middle of the franchise.
My point was that they did EIGHT movies with the same cast, compared to FOUR with the OT X-Men cast. Compare seven books to five (?) decades of continuing stories in the comics without stopping. I think it's a more than valid comparison. Four/five/six movies with this cast is hardly beating a dead horse.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #950
BenKenobi
Banned User

This isn't going to be the last film, but it very well could be the last for the actors.

Quote:
In what way is it anti climactic? If anything it's a climactic passing of the baton from McKlellen and Stewart to McAvoy and Fassbender. The whole universe is on the line and they are traveling through space time, the whole "anti climactic" argument is very subjective. Also the plot of the movie was largely Bret Rattners doing, who did everything in his power to ensure his would be the last film in the saga. As far as Fox was concerned that was never meant to be THE LAST STAND, I may be wrong but I believe that after credits scene was actually ordered by Fox.

Quote:
It would make more sense for Fox to go through all the hassle it would have gone through to get actors like Halle Berry, Anna Paquin and Ellen Page back. When they already had a star in Jennifer Lawrence and the rising profiles of McAvoy and Fassbender and Hoult.
Ellen Page hasn't been real big since Juno, Halle Berry's seen better days. and while Paquin is a great actress she's far from a regular on E! News. It probably was not easy, all parties involved in said deal stood only to gain from the exposure.

Quote:
It could have easily made a direct sequel to First Class. It's quite obvious Fox have a plan of action which they will set in motion as soon as they find out the box office returns for DOFP as well as how critically acclaimed the movie. They'll be listening to hear what audiences and critics think about the return of the OT actors and then they will greenlight an X4/X5.
Ever since X3 and Wolverine Origins, X-Men movies really haven't garnered the same attention. They became known as studio cash grabs and they haven't seen the record breaking box office numbers. Despite First Class being a success and critically well received there were major restrictions left by both the time period it takes place in and the characters already used in the original films. Characters like Darwin and Nightcrawlers dad made it into the crew because they'd made so many into pointless cameos that they were pulling out whoever they could. Doing a film with the original cast not only gives hope to those who'd lost faith in the franchize but allows them to fix some of the damage done and attract huge media attention once again.

Quote:
I mean there is every possibility that in drafting the contract for this film Fox included sequels clauses which would compel actor to come back and reprise their roles. And thus the problem of having actors return is solved (not that there was ever a problem, you'd have to be a fool to say no to an X-Men movie.)
More than likely Patrick Stewart would be willing to return as would McKlellen, but they're getting older and the only star to be returning for X4/X5 is going to be Hugh Jackman. Fassbender and McAvoy are good and it's not a big deal if they're here to stay.

Closed Thread