Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #126
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
they just posted pictures from the comic....
Because, obviously, the comics are a prime example of what would work in the films...

God knows they should use Wolverine's yellow spandex and ridiculous mask. It would look gorgeous.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #127
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

wait there's a pic of Beast?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #128
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
wait there's a pic of Beast?
Yes. Bryan tweeted it.

"Will you control that power or let it control you." - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #129
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Wow. I don't that the mohawk in the comics... but that manip has convinced me that I never want to see it in live action.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #130
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yes. Bryan tweeted it.
I found it.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #131
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Wow. I don't that the mohawk in the comics... but that manip has convinced me that I never want to see it in live action.
I just read some of the comments from the SHH article about this new picture. And I cannot believe at least 50 people liked the comment that they should have given her the mohawk. Then that comment about Angela Bassett should have been Storm and that Bryan Singer will ruin another superhero franchise. I just find it very annoying to read, there's a lot of negativity from online people when it comes to X-Men but if its a MCU project or a film related to Christopher Nolan, they are like worshiping every single thing.

"Will you control that power or let it control you." - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-23-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #132
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

So far, from what I've seen on several sites that reported the photo of Halle, the reaction from comments have been almost universally negative. Hope that once the movie comes out, everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #133
Double B
Side-Kick

Oh my God, where has this mohawk thing even come from?!

She did not have it in DOFP, the comic, why would she have it in DOFP, the film?

More to the point, it would be so silly. They're in a horrible, dystopian world, mutants being imprisoned/killed and Storm's like "Yo, Logan, hand me those clippers, I want to look badass..."

Uh-huh.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #134
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I just read some of the comments from the SHH article about this new picture. And I cannot believe at least 50 people liked the comment that they should have given her the mohawk. Then that comment about Angela Bassett should have been Storm and that Bryan Singer will ruin another superhero franchise. I just find it very annoying to read, there's a lot of negativity from online people when it comes to X-Men but if its a MCU project or a film related to Christopher Nolan, they are like worshiping every single thing.
Reactions to first glimpses of superhero/supervillain designs tend to be negative at first. There was an outcry over the look of Heath Ledger's Joker, Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, Amazing Spider-Man, Man of Steel, Hathaway's Catwoman, Bane etc.

Also, studios have to make a real effort to make the characters look close to the way they do in the comics. Sometimes it's easy, like Iron Man.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #135
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
So far, from what I've seen on several sites that reported the photo of Halle, the reaction from comments have been almost universally negative. Hope that once the movie comes out, everyone will be pleasantly surprised.
Yeah but a vast majority of the negative reactions were to Halle, not the suit.

When it comes to cbms, people just hate her.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #136
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Finds it amusing that i say shed look great with a faux-hawk. Someone then posts her with a mo-hawk (not the same thing) then for a page and a half people freak out about people wanting mohawk's when I've not seen anyone here say they want her with one............

Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #137
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:

being a manip, I understand it doesnt look as perfect to most, but kill me if you want...... I think this would be soo badass and shocking.

Yeah, there will still be haters, many haters, but I wouldnt care. This would have been badass and edgy.

And since its a dystopian future/present, and maybe an alternate universe, I think it would have been really cool, and something totally fresh.

not to mention that would give Halle a whole different feel, more badass, like it or not.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #138
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
I try to avoid these comments.Let's just say I have more colorful laungurage to
describe what I think of them.

I never liked the mo hawk storm.Now If was Included I could deal with It since It was In X_Men 616 comics.

Replacing halle Berry as Storm.Wha's the point of having cast reunion If you recast a major role.

I am so royally tired of these Bryan Singer will ruin another superhero franchise BS.He helped launch X-Men as film franchise In first place,helped revive genre after Batman & Robin,and helped pave the way for Marvel studios to get loans so they could make their own films.If you really think Superman Returns did more damage that Superman III and IV your just being a hater.

You hit It on the head.Everything from DIsney/MS and Chris Nolan Immedetly gold.Anything else they bash.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #139
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Reactions to first glimpses of superhero/supervillain designs tend to be negative at first. There was an outcry over the look of Heath Ledger's Joker, Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, Amazing Spider-Man, Man of Steel, Hathaway's Catwoman, Bane etc.

Also, studios have to make a real effort to make the characters look close to the way they do in the comics. Sometimes it's easy, like Iron Man.
Studios don't have to make the characters look like they do In comics.Batman In films outfits do not look like the comics.

Films are different meduem than comics.Expecting that to be same Is stupid.
Using that arguement I should not see any Disney/MS films since all their outfits are taken from Ultimates and not 616.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #140
wikox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Finds it amusing that i say shed look great with a faux-hawk. Someone then posts her with a mo-hawk (not the same thing) then for a page and a half people freak out about people wanting mohawk's when I've not seen anyone here say they want her with one............
she is cool!!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #141
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Studios don't have to make the characters look like they do In comics.
Yes they do. Characters on film should be easily identifiable with the original characters, or what's the point.

Iron Man had red and gold armour and no one complained it was too colourful, or too comicbooky. It worked on screen.

Quote:
Batman In films outfits do not look like the comics.
Yes they do. He has the pointy-eared cowl, the cape, the utility belt, the gauntlets with fins on, many of the same gadgets (batarang etc). Even with the modifications (armour) and the onscreen explanations (cape turns into a glider when electric charge is passed through it), it's still very much the same thing.

Quote:
Films are different meduem than comics.Expecting that to be same Is stupid.
Using that arguement I should not see any Disney/MS films since all their outfits are taken from Ultimates and not 616.
The characters were still mostly recognisable as the characters. Loki has his horned helmet, Cap has his shield, etc.

From a design standpoint, people making comic book movies should begin with what's in the comics and try to make that work. Then begin modifying it where necessary.

We have already seen that the Magneto helmet Singer is using for DoFP has the comic book styling and colours. It's possible to do it.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #142
Angamb
Banned User

totally agree with Xmaniac.

The X-men costumes and looks are part of why they are ICONIC.

The look of each character is part of the icon. Some fans dont care, but most do, as we can see in MOST movie sites.

I bet you if Fox and Singer did the comic costumes, with a great design and making them adult/serious enough, most fans will be more pleased than EVER.

Im 100% sure about it.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #143
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Yes they do.
No, they don't. The X-men are not recognizable because of their fancy costumes, but because of their powers and physical appearances(skin color, tails, eyes). They're not your typical costumed (or armored) vigilantes. As far as looks go, Wolverine has his claws and is hairy enough, Cyclops has his visor, Storm has her white hair (and occasionally eyes), etc. All the main "attributes" to these characters are still there, and to say they're not recognizable because they don't don their costumes for the comics is ridiculous to no end.

So far I haven't heard a single argument good enough to support the need for the comic book costumes the X-Men have. Iron Man is called such because he wears a suit of armor. Batman is called such because he dresses like a Bat. Thor has a helmet because he's an Asgardian warrior, in a culture where people wear armors, helmets, shields, and fight with hammers, swords and spears. Even these characters have good enough reasons to dress like their comicbook counters-parts.

The X-Men are called upon their individual powers, or things connected to them somehow, and that's what makes them recognizable way more than the costumes. The only one I can think of that wears a mask is Wolverine, and I'm pretty sure the first thing in everyone's mind when they hear the name Wolverine is his claws, not his silly mask. Magneto has his helmet, Rogue has her white hairs, Colossus has his metallic cover, Storm throws lighting bolts here and there, Cyclops shoots lasers from his eyes.

If you say that somehow any of these characters were unrecognizable to you on screen, you're either lying, or you're lying. And if you think the general audience gives two **** about their costumes, you're lying to yourself. If they haven't read the comics and have no idea who Iceman is, when he comes on screen he'll be character unfamiliar to them with or without the costume. People recognize the mutants because of their powers and last time I checked, they were all there, almost 100% faithful to the comics.

The truth is, comicbook fans want to see the X-Men costumes just because for the sake of it. That's the one and only real reason. All the logical excuses and reasons they try to come up with for justifying the need to have them are ********. I have no problem with people wanting to see 100% accurate representations of their favorite comic book characters on screen, even though not everything from the pages of a comic book works on screen, but to say that the X-Men are unrecognizable without their costumes is plain ********.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #144
Angamb
Banned User

Ive read many comments on non comic boards about random users saying they all love the 90's show, but dont like the movies look at all.

So yeah, if they want to appeal more to x-men fanbase and general comic fans and superhero lovers, Yes, they should.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #145
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Comicbook fans are still going to see these movies, with or without costumes.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #146
Angamb
Banned User

maybe we should ask ourself why those millions of viewers of The Avengers didnt watch the X-men movies on the threatre.

There are many reasons that movie was a huge hit. And maybe the costumes looked more appealing to general viewers than the x-men ones.

just a possibility.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #147
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Honestly, the mohawk looks sick. Better than the soccer mom hair cut she has...

Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #148
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

doesn't make her look very attractive... that look would never be used for berry

Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #149
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
No, they don't. The X-men are not recognizable because of their fancy costumes, but because of their powers and physical appearances(skin color, tails, eyes). They're not your typical costumed (or armored) vigilantes. As far as looks go, Wolverine has his claws and is hairy enough, Cyclops has his visor, Storm has her white hair (and occasionally eyes), etc. All the main "attributes" to these characters are still there, and to say they're not recognizable because they don't don their costumes for the comics is ridiculous to no end.

So far I haven't heard a single argument good enough to support the need for the comic book costumes the X-Men have. Iron Man is called such because he wears a suit of armor. Batman is called such because he dresses like a Bat. Thor has a helmet because he's an Asgardian warrior, in a culture where people wear armors, helmets, shields, and fight with hammers, swords and spears. Even these characters have good enough reasons to dress like their comicbook counters-parts.

The X-Men are called upon their individual powers, or things connected to them somehow, and that's what makes them recognizable way more than the costumes. The only one I can think of that wears a mask is Wolverine, and I'm pretty sure the first thing in everyone's mind when they hear the name Wolverine is his claws, not his silly mask. Magneto has his helmet, Rogue has her white hairs, Colossus has his metallic cover, Storm throws lighting bolts here and there, Cyclops shoots lasers from his eyes.

If you say that somehow any of these characters were unrecognizable to you on screen, you're either lying, or you're lying. And if you think the general audience gives two **** about their costumes, you're lying to yourself. If they haven't read the comics and have no idea who Iceman is, when he comes on screen he'll be character unfamiliar to them with or without the costume. People recognize the mutants because of their powers and last time I checked, they were all there, almost 100% faithful to the comics.

The truth is, comicbook fans want to see the X-Men costumes just because for the sake of it. That's the one and only real reason. All the logical excuses and reasons they try to come up with for justifying the need to have them are ********. I have no problem with people wanting to see 100% accurate representations of their favorite comic book characters on screen, even though not everything from the pages of a comic book works on screen, but to say that the X-Men are unrecognizable without their costumes is plain ********.
Of course the costumes are part of it. Or why did they bother to give Storm a cape and Magneto a helmet?

Costumes are part of what makes the characters the characters. To think otherwise is delusional.

By your reasoning, anyone with white hair would be okay as Storm and anyone firing lasers from their eyes would be okay as Cyclops.

Wake up and smell the comics. Or, better yet, wake up and watch the Avengers - all $1.5 billion of it.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #150
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
maybe we should ask ourself why those millions of viewers of The Avengers didnt watch the X-men movies on the threatre.

There are many reasons that movie was a huge hit. And maybe the costumes looked more appealing to general viewers than the x-men ones.

just a possibility.
There's a reason. It sure as hell has nothing to do with the movie's quality though.

Hint: It's the same reason the Transformers franchise made so much

Last edited by Mulholland-Jr; 04-23-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Closed Thread