The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Th Frown the much dreaded YLOD

it was bound to happen and it did last night

what sucks most though is that i had just bought an external hard drive to backup game saves and such, but the stupid PS3 beat me to the punch

no way i am paying $160 to Sony to fix it. i actually found a place back home that fixes it same day for half the price and the reviews on Yelp are all excellent. i'll be without a PS3 for the next 3 weeks though which means Injustice will have to wait.

GREEN =w= DAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Default Re: the much dreaded YLOD

Nuts, sorry dude!

Hopefully both Sony and MS have learnt from their respective colours of death and next gen will be fault-free.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Happened to me and I never felt the same about Sony after that

Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

i hear it's a pretty common problem with the fat PS3's. i have the fat 80GB one and was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. will turn 6 years old this Christmas.

might as well update my hard drive as well when i take it in to get it fixed. been meaning to update my PS3 from 80GB to 500GB.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

How widespread is this YLOD? My launch PS3 is fine, although I haven't used it as heavily as my 360.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
JINoside
Platinum Age Superhero™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
it was bound to happen and it did last night

what sucks most though is that i had just bought an external hard drive to backup game saves and such, but the stupid PS3 beat me to the punch

no way i am paying $160 to Sony to fix it. i actually found a place back home that fixes it same day for half the price and the reviews on Yelp are all excellent. i'll be without a PS3 for the next 3 weeks though which means Injustice will have to wait.
Happened to me a few months ago for the 3rd time so I just got tired and started using my 2nd PS3(That was just for movies) and started using it. I was going to recommend you this Computer repair shop in SD that repairs PS3's in Clairemont Mesa BLVD but their repairs don't last long. I think the liquid patch(Forgot proper name) they use is cheap so hopefully you find a better place.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
JINoside
Platinum Age Superhero™

Quote:
i hear it's a pretty common problem with the fat PS3's. i have the fat 80GB one and was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. will turn 6 years old this Christmas.

might as well update my hard drive as well when i take it in to get it fixed. been meaning to update my PS3 from 80GB to 500GB.
You should update the drives yourself BTW but Yes, I had the MGS Edition one and those unfortunately were considered the most YLOD/RLOD prone ones.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINoside View Post
Happened to me a few months ago for the 3rd time so I just got tired and started using my 2nd PS3(That was just for movies) and started using it. I was going to recommend you this Computer repair shop in SD that repairs PS3's in Clairemont Mesa BLVD but their repairs don't last long. I think the liquid patch(Forgot proper name) they use is cheap so hopefully you find a better place.
i know which place you're referring to. they have 3 locations around the county. but i found another place on Yelp that's located near Qualcomm Stadium that has excellent reviews. they specialize in repairing all types of consoles, primarily PS3 & Xbox.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

I keep reading this as the dreaded YOLO every time I skim down the threads

Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

I've had my PS3 for years, and so far I have not encountered the yellow light of death.

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
JINoside
Platinum Age Superhero™

Quote:
i know which place you're referring to. they have 3 locations around the county. but i found another place on Yelp that's located near Qualcomm Stadium that has excellent reviews. they specialize in repairing all types of consoles, primarily PS3 & Xbox.
Then that is probably your best bet. I wish I would've used Yelp then to find these places. After the third time I just gave up on it and all my games....

Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINoside View Post
Then that is probably your best bet. I wish I would've used Yelp then to find these places. After the third time I just gave up on it and all my games....
sorry to hear that. but at least you had that other PS3 handy. did you manage to back up everything you had saved in the other system though?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Obi
Newbie First Class

This happened to my PS3 yesterday, had my 60 GB PS3 for 6 years and no problems, i wouldn't have minded but i was half way through Assasin's Creed 3. I checked for some solutions on youtube and found a few vids showing the hairdryer method of fixing it. Didn't work so i'm going to have to take it in for repairs.

Obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
JINoside
Platinum Age Superhero™

Quote:
sorry to hear that. but at least you had that other PS3 handy. did you manage to back up everything you had saved in the other system though?
I did manage to do a back up, twice. However after the second fix and back up I had purchased a bunch of games and I had my PS2 data on there and unfortunately that wasn't backed up so I'm at a small loss. Backing up takes a huge amount of time(Apprx 2-4 hrs) either way especially if you have a large HD which I had upgraded to a 240 GB with over 120 GB in data